Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Ate/Eating/Will Eat?

Rate this topic

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^ seems like an unlucky day for shichat sisters :D Ate : Halwa puri for breakfast  Halwa is a pudding made from semolina and is eaten with Puri (bread made from flour) Mom made the Halwa and it was th

For tea , cupcakes that my daughter baked <3

Hey guys, it's been quite some time since I've logged on to shiachat. But as always I come back once in a while to check up on everyone :P So in my absence I've taken plenty of food pics (being an ins

Posted Images

• Veteran Member

^ i have zero experience of cooking steak (very little at cooking meat other than fish) but it looks to me like you did a good job there. I was going to ask whether you had any veg with it but i guess you'd be pushed to fit anything else on the plate or your stomach in one sitting :D

I've been obsessed with cake decorating lately... So I had a few friends over for Iftaar last night and made a Kit Kat cake like this:  

Kit-Kat-Cake-7.jpg

I like how generous you are with the m & m's post-73242-0-71322900-1366500419.gif that cake says to me 'when i want chocolate i have chocolate'.

• Advanced Member

I like how generous you are with the m & m's that cake says to me 'when i want chocolate i have chocolate'.

I may have a bit of an obsession with chocolate as well.... I think my username is explanation enough :P

Edited by hersheyskisses
  • Advanced Member

^Where they Arab? Maqluba is the Arab version of Indo-Paki biryani except there is less spices. Sometimes, potatoes, peas and carrots are added to give it a nice kick.

Still though, my taste buds say Biryani is still much more eloquent <3.

• Advanced Member

^Where they Arab? Maqluba is the Arab version of Indo-Paki biryani except there is less spices. Sometimes, potatoes, peas and carrots are added to give it a nice kick.

Still though, my taste buds say Biryani is still much more eloquent <3.

Nay, they weren't. It was just something we chose to make for that evening. My housemates are Turkish and Kazakh. We invited others, including some Arab friends but they already had plans for that night. I wasn't able to entice them with our Makluba :( lol. But agreed, Biryani is phenomenal. Both are exceptional. Beats Aussie food any day of the week.. 

I never really thought about that but you're right. We made an arab dish and there wasnt juan amongst us.There were 3 Pakis, 2 Sri-lankan's (1 was a convert), 1 Kazakh, 1 Turk and yours truly :P Usually we have another Kazakh, a few more Turks, 2 Iraqis, 2 Palestinians, 1 Egyptian, and an Aussie. Our gatherings and iftars tend to look more like the United Nations.. :lol:

Edited by Ali Musaaa :)
  • Veteran Member

Nay, they weren't. It was just something we chose to make for that evening. My housemates are Turkish and Kazakh. We invited others, including some Arab friends but they already had plans for that night. I wasn't able to entice them with our Makluba :( lol. But agreed, Biryani is phenomenal. Both are exceptional. Beats Aussie food any day of the week.. 

I never really thought about that but you're right. We made an arab dish and there wasnt juan amongst us.There were 3 Pakis, 2 Sri-lankan's (1 was a convert), 1 Kazakh, 1 Turk and yours truly :P Usually we have another Kazakh, a few more Turks, 2 Iraqis, 2 Palestinians, 1 Egyptian, and an Aussie. Our gatherings and iftars tend to look more like the United Nations.. :lol:

Give this dish a go, it is pretty tasty:

It is quite simple, as you can see, even a woman can make it, it takes a lot long than she makes it seem though, you need to give yourself a good two hours.

* Pilau beats Biryani hand down, much much subtle.

Edited by Ali_Hussain
  • Advanced Member

It is quite simple, as you can see, even a woman can make it, it takes a lot long than she makes it seem though, you need to give yourself a good two hours.

I was hesitant of whether I should admit I laughed at this or not lol. Both of us might be in trouble now :P 

• Advanced Member

even a woman?  :dry:

• Advanced Member

Isnt Pilau just rice? Clearly I'm a novice in a kitchen. In Turkish they use Pilau or Pilaf to mean rice(?). So I'm assuming it's some sort of rice dish?

Teach us, master sensei.

Thank's for the Kabsa btw. Might have to give this one a go. Last year when I was living with a Palestinian, he made Kabsa but if I recall correctly, it was a little different to the one you showed. Maybe I got it confused with something else. 

Edited by Ali Musaaa :)
  • Veteran Member

Isnt Pilau just rice? Clearly I'm a novice in a kitchen. In Turkish they use Pilau or Pilaf to mean rice. So I'm assuming it's some sort of rice dish?

Teach us, master sensei.

Thank's for the Kabsa btw. Might have to give this one a go. Last year when I was living with a Palestinian, he made Kabsa but if I recall correctly, it was a little different to the one you showed. Maybe I got it confused with something else. 

Yes, it is a rice dish, though not 'just rice' (rice in Urdu is chawal)

To be honest, my skills in the kitchen don't stretch to Pilau, the rice would end up sticking together if I tried it, it is quite a complex dish, (well not overly complex, but still) more something that you would have at home, I've never seen a restaurant serve it.

Here is a video, she isn't speaking English,but she says the names of all the ingredients in English, so you can follow what is going on.

* yes, she's a women, but clearly born before 1980, so it's fine.

From what I understand Kabsa has no set recipe, but the one that the girl uses in the video that I posted is nice. Especially the raisin and nut garnish at the end, really tasty.

Edited by Ali_Hussain
  • Veteran Member

This is really tasty, the potatoes are honestly out of this world, you just have to make sure that you follow the recipe (Italian herbs means Italian herbs, not basil or thyme or something else)

http://www.foodofegypt.com/07/11/roasted-chicken-potatoes/

It probably isn't exotic enough for most people to want to eat during Ramadhan, but due to it's simplicity and great taste, it is definitely a good recipe to have in one's arsenal.

Edited by Ali_Hussain
  • Advanced Member

This is really taste, the potatoes are honestly out of this world, you just have to make sure that you follow the recipe (Italian herbs means Italian herbs, not basil or thyme or something else)

http://www.foodofegypt.com/07/11/roasted-chicken-potatoes/

It probably isn't exotic enough for most people to want to eat during Ramadhan, but due to it's simplicity and great taste, it is definitely a good recipe to have in one's arsenal.

This looks simple and quite good. I don't think even I could fail with this one. 

This has tuned into the "suggest your exotic foods and tips to the clueless white guy" thread rather quickly lol

• Advanced Member

Lebanese food is really nice, but I'm thinking that what they serve in the restaurant isn't what they make at home.

I made the rice dish and the lamb kebabs from this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheLebaneseKitchen

They were ok, but nowhere near as nice as:

SMR-Vineland-Burbank-Hayat-Kitchen-Platt

what's that?  I WANT! 

• Advanced Member

Lebanese food is really nice, but I'm thinking that what they serve in the restaurant isn't what they make at home.

Sometimes i want to settle in Lebanon just for the food they make. Where did you get this pic btw? can you send me the link of the website?

• Veteran Member

what's that?  I WANT! 

I believe that it is: humus, salad, chips, mutabal (?), chicken with a grilled chilli and tomato, and a small pot of garlic sauce. In the bowl on the side, I think that it is pickled radish (?) and gherkin, the food comes served with Lebanese flat bread.

It's the standard dish at a Lebanese restaurant, I have found though, that if you go to a Syrian restaurant, you get 1/3 more food for 1/3 less of the price, and they throw in a desert.

...still more than 4 hours to go until Maghrib...thinking about this made me pretty hungry.

Pulao or pilau is more difficult than biryani, requires more skill and IMO pulao should always be accompanied by shaami kebabs and raita ... :P :P

Is that a fatwa?

Personally, I'm quite partial to drowning it in coleslaw, now and again, it gives it a little crunch, also a good thing to have when there is only rice left due to some rude individuals having eaten all the chicken!

Edited by Ali_Hussain
  • Moderators

I believe that it is: humus, salad, chips, mutabal (?), chicken with a grilled chilli and tomato, and a small pot of garlic sauce. In the bowl on the side, I think that it is pickled radish (?) and gherkin, the food comes served with Lebanese flat bread.

Is that a fatwa?

Personally, I'm quite partial to drowning it in coleslaw, now and again, it gives it a little crunch, also a good thing to have when there is only rice left due to some rude individuals having eaten all the chicken!

yesss.... That is most certainly a fatwa... :P Pulao is probably the only dish that I never screw up :P so its safe to say I am a pulao expert....

Raita , not coleslaw... They two are very different... Raita is made with yogurt, finely chopped onions and tomatoes , shredded cucumbers, seasoned with salt, garam masala and a dash of sugar....

Shaami kebab, one can do without if its chicken pulao... But they are a must with green pea pulao... Mmm.... Just thinking about it has made my mouth water.

God knows how long I have been wanting to try hummus, last month i went to this arab restaurant just for the hummus and they said it wasnt on the menu that day :( :(

• Veteran Member

Pulao or pilau is more difficult than biryani, requires more skill and IMO pulao should always be accompanied by shaami kebabs and raita ... :P :P

yesss.... That is most certainly a fatwa... :P Pulao is probably the only dish that I never screw up :P so its safe to say I am a pulao expert....

Raita , not coleslaw... They two are very different... Raita is made with yogurt, finely chopped onions and tomatoes , shredded cucumbers, seasoned with salt, garam masala and a dash of sugar....

Shaami kebab, one can do without if its chicken pulao... But they are a must with green pea pulao... Mmm.... Just thinking about it has made my mouth water.

God knows how long I have been wanting to try hummus, last month i went to this arab restaurant just for the hummus and they said it wasnt on the menu that day :( :(

masha'Allah, masha'Allah, if you do say so yourself huh? what modesty :D

Why don't you just buy some humus from the shop? It might be worth getting it from one of these shops that might have more of a home made variety, there can be a world of difference in them, but Iranians and Kurds always have really nice humus, and great food in general, you could try one of those restaurants - there are some amazing Iranian 'starters' like salad olviyeh and mirza ghasemi, they rival humus, personally I think that salad olviyeh is nicer.

• Moderators

:lol: bro ali Hussain,I will explain.... actually its idiosyncratic....IMHO Pulao does require more expertise than biryani but somehow my biryani never turns out very good.... and by some stroke of luck pulao has never failed... Read: 'pulao is the only dish I have never ruined' <- this was an attempt at modesty, failed I guess :D

nevertheless I enjoyed your comment.

Where I live hummus isnt available in the stores or at least I dont know of any, i was looking at recipes online so maybe I will give it a try at home someday.

Edited by starlight
  • Advanced Member

What type of pulao do you make, star? It's one of my favorite dishes to prepare too! :)

Kabuli pulao is actually the national dish of my country. There are many different varieties of pulao in Afghan cooking but that one seems to be the most popular. Off the top of my head, I can think of about 6 different ones.

• Development Team

I want that , looks very good and flavorful.

shawarma platter

1077203_10202824881736585_78597390630648

it was with hummus. pakistani made hummus so it wasnt even close to original hummus. but it was good.

Holy smokes! That sharwarma platter looks amazing, man, Pakistan must be food paradise or the UN of food, you guys have everything. I am green with envy. :P Edited by Gaius I. Caesar
  • Advanced Member

Is it like a permanent addiction? with me i go through phases (from a few days to 2 weeks) where i will either be resisting chocolate or feasting on it. Im in one atm actually. Am planning a steamed chocolate pudding with chocolate sauce for Eid:

steamed-choc-pud.jpg

Ruq, that looks amazing! Sadly though, if I were to make it I'd have to eat all myself since my husband hates chocolate.

Edit: I just looked at my Pinterest and see so many pretty chocolate cakes and mousses but can't make them for that reason. :(

Edited by alina92