Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Ate/Eating/Will Eat?

Rate this topic

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^ seems like an unlucky day for shichat sisters :D Ate : Halwa puri for breakfast  Halwa is a pudding made from semolina and is eaten with Puri (bread made from flour) Mom made the Halwa and it was th

For tea , cupcakes that my daughter baked <3

Hey guys, it's been quite some time since I've logged on to shiachat. But as always I come back once in a while to check up on everyone :P So in my absence I've taken plenty of food pics (being an ins

Posted Images

Ok here goes my edition of Blitzkrieg during month of Ramadan in Norway.

I have about 1.5-2 hours to eat so i need to be quick, ferocious, accurate and deadly.  

I make the next days fast snack&submit portions the day before in order to make the body keep guessing.

Here is my plan for tomorrow:

1. Get yourself some serious Scampi/large shrimp. De-vein and clean them bad boys up. 

photo_2_5.jpg

2. Get yourspices ready in a container. Homemade Tandorri masala, chili powder, minced garlic, minced ginger, black pepper, salt and finally lemon juice and some oil to mix it up.

photo_1_6.jpg

3. Mix it up

photo_3_5.jpg

4. Fridge it!

I'm gonna go Rambo on these tomorrow. 

A man that can cook? Impressive

• Veteran Member

Sorry to break this to ya, but the best cooks are men.

Top chefs are men and top restaurants are also run by men.

We just like it when our wives cook for us. 

I was about to say the same, and lets face it, it is really rare to meet a girl born in the late eighties who can cook, let alone in the nineties.

There are some exceptions of course, but the majority of the men that I know can cook, the majority of the women that I have spoken to can't boil an egg.

Men are great chefs but not great cooks.

If it wasn't for women more than half the mankind would go hungry at home!

I couldn't agree more.

Women/mothers are the best cooks. Men just like to show off, once in a while...

Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

• Veteran Member

My dad LOVES to create special dinners - and is probably the most relaxed and beaming (if you can imagine the two together) when tossing food in pots and pans (and all over the kitchen)...constantly asking you to test taste this and that with a look of anticipation that makes me smile inside - it is like a kinaesthetic art form :P.  

My mom can prepare tasty foods as well, but she is more of a functional cook and is probably under-appreciated.

However, I have never relied on either of them to feed me on a regular basis; if I did, I would have starved.  

• Veteran Member

I dont agree that men are better cooks. It seems more likely that men tolerate competitive, pressurised kitchen environments better than women, so end up at the top end running the michelin star restaurants and getting onto tv.

I dont agree that men are better cooks. It seems more likely that men tolerate competitive, pressurised kitchen environments better than women, so end up at the top end running the michelin star restaurants and getting onto tv.

They were the top chefs of the world long before reality TV decided to film it. 

As brother Marbles pointed out, men are better chefs, but woman are better cooks. It takes a lot of patience to cook for kids, husband and family. Then all the cleaning, making sure no one gets hit by the allergies, making sure everyone is gets what they want etc. 

Men are great chefs in restaurants/home only when they don't have to worry about those things. We make a mess when we cook.....

• Veteran Member

^ Before tv women still were even less likely to be in those kinds of environments, but when women are prepared to take on those careers they do as well as men it seems to me. Too often we stereotype about what men are supposed to be good at and women are supposed to be good at, but the data is always biased because theres a reason why men and women have traditionally ended up in certain professions and it not necessarily about aptitude. When the environmental and psychological barriers are reduced, we can see that men and women arent as stuck in their stereotypical roles as has been traditionally understood.

^ Before tv women still were even less likely to be in those kinds of environments, but when women are prepared to take on those careers they do as well as men it seems to me. Too often we stereotype about what men are supposed to be good at and women are supposed to be good at, but the data is always biased because theres a reason why men and women have traditionally ended up in certain professions and it not necessarily about aptitude. When the environmental and psychological barriers are reduced, we can see that men and women arent as stuck in their stereotypical roles as has been traditionally understood.

Taking this quite serious huh?

• Veteran Member

^I'm curious: Do you just casually pull out your phone/camera and start taking picture at the dinner table? Or is this an online pic lol

Today's iftaari was Afghan rice, which meant I had a lot of raisins to pick out :P

Im afghan myself and I dislike Kabuli Palaw. I love just plain rice or Challow, with the saffaron on top. ^_^

Im afghan myself and I dislike Kabuli Palaw. I love just plain rice or Challow, with the saffaron on top. ^_^

Lol I just can't eat raisins with rice for some reason. Otherwise I like Afghani food a lot. There's this Afghan lady in our neighborhood and whenever she sends iftaari, she sends rice with perfect little round koftay and thinly sliced carrots. There are sometimes raisins lol, but her food is to die for ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

Today I couldn't stop mysef from mouthing almost half a kilo of delicious mabroom dates. Pure, unadulterated heaven this thing is. The only thing besides oil that makes me want to become an Arab. . .

dates_medjoolsm.jpg

• Veteran Member

^ I guess dates dont affect your digestive system in the way they do mine O.O

Ate: wholemeal spaghetti with meatballs (vegetarian) and bolognese sauce. It looked similar to the pic but my meatballs werent as big:

spaghetti+and+meatballs.jpg

• Veteran Member

^ I guess dates dont affect your digestive system in the way they do mine O.O

Nain, my stomach agrees with them!

And I had plenty of this yesterday. This is Eid Special "Sheer Khurma". Made from vermicelli, condensed milk and some almonds or dried dates in it.

DSC00924.JPG

• Veteran Member

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum

Yesterday for iftar, my dh asked for kibbet banadoura, it's the vegan version of kibbie, where minced tomatoes is added instead of the raw meat. With side dishes of fatoush and french fries. Of course pita bread too. It was all vegan and I ate with a smile, the kibbe turned out delish.

http://www.beirutrestaurants.com/cat/kebbet-banadoura/

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

• Veteran Member

I ate daal chawal today, after a considerable lapse, and loved it enough to mention it here:

baingan-regularbrd%2B123.JPG

And later some mirch pakoras. These are whole green chillies thoroughly coated in gram flour [besan?] and fried. Sharp and tasty, a mouth-watering fest. If you want to try, do keep a gallon of water nearby!

DSC01759-A.jpg

Then, to assuage my burning palate, I couldn't resist taking buying jalebi from the same shop that sells pakoras, despite their unusual combination....but what a business mind.

recipe_of_jalebi.jpg

• Veteran Member

baingan-regularbrd%2B123.JPG

DSC01759-A.jpg

recipe_of_jalebi.jpg

The first one looks delicious, the second looks suspiciously like a rat in batter :donno: and the third looks sweet and chewy and i think i had it before but not with chilli. Love chilli though.

• Veteran Member

The first one looks delicious, the second looks suspiciously like a rat in batter :donno: and the third looks sweet and chewy and i think i had it before but not with chilli. Love chilli though.

Man, your imagination :squeez: