Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ruq

Ate/Eating/Will Eat?

Rate this topic

Oatmeal. I ate oatmeal. Lunch will probably be some sort of leftover. Supper might be yellow rice with broccoli.

BC+Rice+Casserole+1.jpg

Edited by notme

I am getting fat today.

Breakfast: toast and coffee with milk.

Second breakfast: well, they had this cheesecake at work...

Lunch: leftover rice & peas.

Second lunch: someone brought up a cheese pizza....

And then there was this one piece of cheesecake left from this morning. It looked lonely and I took pity on it.

Supper is supposed to be roasted potatoes & onions, but I may instead cook something I don't like just to reduce the damage.

ooo...if anything will turn me into a chicken eater again its that honey glazed chicken, love those sticky sauces.

Ate: hot Oatcakes (the exact number of which i will take to my grave) with light cream and maple syrup.

pic93A4cZ.jpg

Edited by Ruq

Next in line, in'sha Allah - Mangosteens:

^^^ If my friend gets this today, I'll write a small review once I've had it.

Salaam to all,

So, my wait for Mangosteens is finally over. Somebody got me a packet of them and here's a little review:

Here they are after receiving them and removing the plastic film:

Mangosteens-1_zpsbea8ec08.jpg

They are firm with tough outer skin (few millimeters thick, fruit doesn't require refrigeration) and can be opened by pressing the fruit hard. I however, made use of a knife to cut the rind slightly and then used my hands to pull it apart. Here I'm cutting the rind:

Mangosteens-2_zpsbeaa7dd6.jpg

Once you have opened it fully, the fruit inside will expose itself - arranged like the sections of an orange. The white flesh of the fruit is sweet and tangy in taste and depending on the age of the fruit, each of the white sections will (or won't) have a seed inside.

Mangosteens-3_zps15def756.jpg

I found the fruit to be gelatinous and it melted in my mouth almost as soon as I ate it. It can be a bit tricky to hold the fruit as it slips easily from your hand (dropped a few of them). Use of spoon to scoop it up or a fork is recommended. A few sections I ate had the texture of a banana (I can't imagine something else at the moment but think of a very ripe banana, though sweet and tangy).

So, anyway that was my little review on this exotic fruit I had the opportunity to eat.

Did I like it? - Yes, it was an experience.

Will I eat it again? - Sure.

Is this the best fruit as claimed? - I beg to differ :D !  

^^^ where can you find it? Is it available somewhere in North America?

I don't reside in that region bro, so can't help you - but check out the markets where they get imports from Southeast Asia or Far East. I also read somewhere the fruit is grown in some country in South America, so you might just try the local markets.

What do you put on top or do you eat it plain? I made a icing out of icing sugar, cream cheese and lemon juice.

I love it plain, but even more with cream cheese frosting. Butter cream frosting is ok too, but I'd choose plain over butter frosted if I were making it for myself only.

Supper: Papa Johns Pizza, cheese sticks, and cookie pizza for dessert.

Right now: spinach and artichoke omelette in a whole wheat tortilla and some sliced fresh fruit. (Meeting cancelled, but too late to cancel office breakfast order = jackpot!)

Lunch: leftover vegetarian yellow split pea soup and bread.

I eat outside..

Heres a review,lol I mean what I eat.

Starter: garlicky,mushroom,chilli,thyme chesse- quesadilla... That was really nice, the garlic wasnt overpowering

Main: Camarao de calabaza... That was a bit spicy for me, but it tasted good.

Dessert: my favorite part, chocolate fuge cake... Orange sponge with vanilla ice cream, yummy,lol.

Drink: water, it tasted normal,lol.

Ate: mixed nuts, seeds and berries (almonds, brazils, hazlenuts, cashews, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, goji berries, cranberrys and sultanas) with a delicious cup of chai post-73242-0-22240800-1366584749.gif which i thoroughly enjoyed!

I just finished making gajar ki kheer  .... with just a hint of sugar

attachicon.gifimages.jpg

Hmm...it looks like toasted slivered almonds in evaporated milk (?)

Hmm...it looks like toasted slivered almonds in evaporated milk (?)

its a dessert with carrots and rice cooked in milk for hours, till the milk goes all pink, then sweetened .

it also has cardamom, slivered almonds and coconut, and raisins

Although I never understood the difference between the Gajar Ka Halwa and Gajrela???

What you ate was Gajar ka Halwa; what Durr posted was Gajrela.

Gajrela is milky and fluidy; gajar ka halwa is not.

Gajrela is lightly sweetened (for good taste); gajar ka halwa must be sweetened to a higher degree (for good taste)

Gajar ka halwa is less fattening, provided you take care to use semi-skimmed milk, and can even cook with low cal sweeteners if you are diabetic or overweight; on the other hand, tamper with gajar ka halwa and it laughs in your face, it becomes inedible, and it's really fattening (cooked in lots of oil and lots of sugar).

Oh and don't forget that gajar ka halwa is incomplete without 'khoya', which should be properly mixed in the whole thing not just sprinkled as a topping.

I see no trace of khoya in your gajar ka halwa plate!

Oh and don't forget that gajar ka halwa is incomplete without 'khoya'.

Absolutely. Gajar ka halwa without khoya is like pizza without cheese!

Mulberries in season. First crop of 'em has come from my lands. Allah be prasied, and they are sweet as sweet

I do eat mulberries...after protesting violently with my mind that they are NOT caterpillars :unsure:

Mulberries in season. First crop of 'em has come from my lands. Allah be prasied, and they are sweet as sweet.

I ate quite a few of them post-lunch. Feeling full *burps*

mLl4CDu.jpg

Ah the fruits of Pakistan. I missed them sometimes more than maybe my own cousins (I'm sure this perfectly normal lol).

Green and Black Shetoots, Falsay, Berrrr, Aaam of all kinds, khobanee, chotay chotay angoor green walay, Jaman, Amrood, Leechis, and Keeno.

Paki fruits that I know of are organic and less genetic and have aroma and sweetness of the heavens. Nothing beats pakiland in its fruits.  

Falsey.jpg

106439087_613.jpg

Edited by Waiting for HIM

^ What are these pink and green fruits?

I think they are guava.  I have never had mulberries before though - they do look like caterpillars.

I am making these http://allrecipes.com/recipe/creamy-strawberry-crepes/  but have just finished making the crepe part - had to make the batter twice!! - because I am crepe challenged the first crepes were just for practice :blush:   ! It is harder than it sounds, but they are completed and puurfect :angel:  Next part looks easy though.

I think I've had mulberries once but didn't know what they were called.

I've never tried to make crepes. I have a hard enough time turning plain old pancakes.

We ate falafel for supper, with fresh chopped veggies and cheddar cheese. I had some pita bread to go with, but my kids ate it all while I was frying the falafel and slicing the vegetables.