Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Ate/Eating/Will Eat?

Rate this topic

Ruq

• Veteran Member

yes, don't know who was the idiot to invent such a hideous thing

This is a dish (or rather a delicacy) that you either love or hate. I love it :P

But that's not why I asked. I'm curious: Did you cook it yourself even though you feel sick at the mention of paye?

• Veteran Member

yes, I unfortunately it was fidvi me , who had to make this evil delicacy...

You must be the only one out there who hates paye but cooks them!

You know all women in my household (and there are quite a few) hate paye except I and my mother (who is a famed cook of paye). I'm worried that after my mother there will be no one in the family with the working knowledge of its recipe. I am always beseeching my sisters to learn to cook this dish even if they hate it! But so far no success.

I must give your shining, luminous, exemplary example to them. :wub:

• Advanced Member

You know all women in my household (and there are quite a few) hate paye except I and my mother (who is a famed cook of paye). I'm worried that after my mother there will be no one in the family with the working knowledge of its recipe. I am always beseeching my sisters to learn to cook this dish even if they hate it! But so far no success.

I must give your shining, luminous, exemplary example to them. :wub:

lols .. i made them just this once for a guest, as my mom was sick,,,, else would never had become such a flourescent example

• Veteran Member

Paya (Urduپایا‎) is a traditional breakfast dish of Pakistan. It is also served at various festivals and treated to special guests and get togethers. Paaya means feet in Urdu or Hindi.[1]

The main ingredients of the dish are the Trotters or Hoof of a cow, goat or lamb; cooked with various spices.

I like paye as well, but there needs to be some meat in there, don't really enjoy them alone.

• Moderators

I'm worried that after my mother there will be no one in the family with the working knowledge of its recipe. I am always beseeching my sisters to learn to cook this dish even if they hate it! But so far no success.

Maybe this is a silly question, but why not ask your mother to teach you how to cook feet?

Paya (Urduپایا‎) is a traditional breakfast dish of Pakistan. It is also served at various festivals and treated to special guests and get togethers. Paaya means feet in Urdu or Hindi.[1]

The main ingredients of the dish are the Trotters or Hoof of a cow, goat or lamb; cooked with various spices.

I like paye as well, but there needs to be some meat in there, don't really enjoy them alone.

I haven't had that in a while. Really good though

• Veteran Member

There should be a SC I Hate Paye Club. I'm gonna report any posts that mention paye being good :mad:  ! ... No, they're not ... they're gross and ugly and yuck.

I would like to join - is there an early membership discount?  

I have never even eaten it but I saw that video on how to make it and didn't feel well after  :cry:  I think it was the saw-cut waxy yellowish white sheep/lamb/cow feet pieces that were laying in the pan on top of each other for a long time as the guy kept talking and talking, and then the frothy green water as they were boiling.  Some things you just have to be desensitized to from birth…. :unsure:

• Veteran Member

lols .. i made them just this once for a guest, as my mom was sick,,,, else would never had become such a flourescent example

At least you can be relied upon in times of crisis when there's no one around to cook that delicacy. In my household if I were to suggest such a thing to my sister I'd be met with hostile stares suggesting "How dare you?" It's like asking a mullah to drink rum. So terribly my sisters react to paye. :cry:

But I am glad I have good company, of some friends and relatives who specially gather at my house every now and then to enjoy paye with soft, khameeri tandoori naan!

Once a carload of cousins drove overnight for 5 hours just to eat the famous Phajje ke paye in Old Lahore. Pure, unadulterated bliss.

Maybe this is a silly question, but why not ask your mother to teach you how to cook feet?

When (and if) I graduate with biryani and chicken karahi I will most certainly ask my mom to teach me to cook paye :blush:

Apparently it's not very difficult to cook it but it takes a lot of hard work and experience to produce that special aroma and exclusive taste associated with the dish. There are few people whose paye I eat and admire. Most people make a mess of it

I would like to join - is there an early membership discount?  

I have never even eaten it but I saw that video on how to make it and didn't feel well after  :cry:  I think it was the saw-cut waxy yellowish white sheep/lamb/cow feet pieces that were laying in the pan on top of each other for a long time as the guy kept talking and talking, and then the frothy green water as they were boiling.  Some things you just have to be desensitized to from birth…. :unsure:

LOL. I often say that the taste of food doesn't depend on how it looks.

First the hooves are 'burned' (a technical process) to clear of all hair and other impurities and then they are meticulously cleaned and boiled before cooking in a spicy curry. It's the curry that's the real thing - the taste, the aroma, the very exclusive texture of the dish.

I wish all desis were desensitized to it. But seeing how many if not most of us hate paye, I think the process of desensitizing hasn't worked :P

I should make one thing clear: Paye if not cooked the desi way are inedible. I myself can't stand the spice-less, bland, smelly soup Iranians make from paye. (I forgot what it's called in Iran).

Edited by Marbles

• Advanced Member

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

almost a whole page on cooked feet... well said. cooked feet.. they are feet, no matter how meticulously cleaned. plus, they were from some peshawari goat, the butcher apparently didnt think too much of burning the hair, so i had the honour to burn away the remaining hair..... a super yuck job because of the rancid smell of burning hair (try burning one  of your own hair to get what i mean) ... i will never ever do such a thing again, even if i am threatened to be murdered :sick: :sick: :sick:

• Veteran Member

^^^ :cry:  my husband once,while eating that thing with his parents at their place(i was enjoying my burger in the other room lol)found a piece of hair of that thing's nose..(here in iran they eat the whole face/head and the feet :sick:) and i was like:why does this burger taste like kalle pacheh :blink: ?..and i left the burger and didn't eat anything until i got home!!

now please ppl have some mercy..i'm pregnant and i might throw up at any time..please change the topic :cry: :unsure:

• Veteran Member

almost a whole page on cooked feet... well said. cooked feet.. they are feet, no matter how meticulously cleaned. plus, they were from some peshawari goat, the butcher apparently didnt think too much of burning the hair, so i had the honour to burn away the remaining hair..... a super yuck job because of the rancid smell of burning hair (try burning one  of your own hair to get what i mean) ... i will never ever do such a thing again, even if i am threatened to be murdered

Say hooves not feet! Humans have feet!

Whoever wrote that wiki page reference didn't know the difference between paya (hooves) and paon/payr (feet).

Oh you know we leave the dirty job of burning and chopping of the hooves to butchers or trained servants. It is arguably a very nasty job to prepare them for cooking. But once they are burned, cleaned, boiled and cooked...ahhhh :wub:

:P

my husband once,while eating that thing with his parents at their place(i was enjoying my burger in the other room lol)found a piece of hair of that thing's nose..(here in iran they eat the whole face/head and the feet  and i was like:why does this burger taste like kalle pacheh ..and i left the burger and didn't eat anything until i got home!!

now please ppl have some mercy..i'm pregnant and i might throw up at any time..please change the topic

Darn, man that's just unhygienic to find hair in your burger patty :squeez:

The hooves and head are collectively called 'siri paye'. Some Pakis also cook them together but they don't taste as well as hooves only. (however, 'maghaz' - or animals brains is another delicacy and tastes awesome). Khayr, don't be too voyeuristic. We don't want to torture you in pregnancy lol. Just think of some chocolate-syrup topped ice cream.

Or how about After Eight.? I just had three of those thins imported straight from the Land of Anglo-Saxons. Wonderful!

after-eight-chocolate.jpg

• Veteran Member

thanks Marbles for changing the topic but i have to get back to it for a second,becuz the hair was found by my husband inside the kalle pacheh dish not my burger,I was eating a burger,but after i saw what happened with the kalle pacheh eaters i left the burger and wished to die lol..

those are yummy chocolates thanks for sharing ^_^

• Moderators

^^ apology accepted only if u post some photos of delicious foods :D :P

I'm posting from my phone, but I'll try.

I loved these when I was preg:

French-Fries.jpg

If you are still hungry, I found these delicious looking tacos:

111106-Taco-Bell-Border-Tacos-COMP-R2_20

And everyone loves dessert:

Cherry_Cheesecake-3.jpg

• Veteran Member

Im so glad you guys are off the topic of feet stew - I post-73242-0-10215800-1352843512.gif a little. The only foot i would eat is an elephants foot*

Eating: Vegemite on warm pitta bread and a cup of tea (hurrah!)

* this is regional slang for a very large, chocolate covered choux bun ^_^

You know all women in my household (and there are quite a few) hate paye except I and my mother (who is a famed cook of paye)

:shifty: :lol:

i had no breakfast or lunch today. BUT i had karhi and white chawal for dinner. delicious ^_^

• Advanced Member

I loved these when I was preg:

I love those even when I'll never be pregnant ... ! And I always thought you were a guy!

@Marbles: Don't you ever try to convince my paye-hating-audience to like that puke inducing, gut churning, mentally scarring "dish" ! I won't have members to sign up for my club then :P

What I ate - Rambutan from Thailand :

post-43193-0-77127000-1392788135_thumb.j

^^ Similar to Lychees, except the skin and seed. I want to try Durian next. Has anybody eaten Durian? Many people swear it's the best fruit they've ever eaten ... and the irony is that the shell/skin stinks so bad that it is banned in some places to travel with it in public transport :squeez:

• Veteran Member

I want to try Durian next. Has anybody eaten Durian? Many people swear it's the best fruit they've ever eaten ... and the irony is that the shell/skin stinks so bad that it is banned in some places to travel with it in public transport :squeez:

I really wanted to try durian but could not get close enough to taste it. The smell permeated every space in the room and then some.  I found myself wriggling on the floor to try and get free of it but it followed me.  The closest thing I can compare the smell to is sweaty hockey gear rubbed with rotting garbage after time to ferment together. The smell actually makes me gag and I truly believe that my bronchii tried to close to protect my lungs. I also have some kind of PTSD associated with it as just remembering it is tightening my chest and turning me off the multitude of snack items surrounding me on my bed.

Edited by Maryaam