Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ruq

Ate/Eating/Will Eat?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

We also have eggplants in United Kingdom supermarkets. Its also common in Pakistan, over there its called a bagan I think. I wonder why its callled egg. 

 

14 hours ago, Aflower said:

Regarding the name, apparently back in the 1700s, the early European versions of eggplant were smaller in size, and yellow or white in colour. Hence, they resembled a goose or hen's egg, which led to it being named "eggplant". 

That's why they are called eggplant.

They are still in existence in 2019. I just bought half a kilo on my way home.

Here we have both types. The 'sufaid bengan' (white aubergine or eggplant) and next to them the normal dark purple variety.

20190127_223337.thumb.jpg.42f93e4bed6949d53de449c7a554c564.jpg

egg.jpg.f4caf0c7ecb017a243cbe62e0b43109c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Marbles said:

 

That's why they are called eggplant.

They are still in existence in 2019. I just bought half a kilo on my way home.

Here we have both types. The 'sufaid bengan' (white aubergine or eggplant) and next to them the normal dark purple variety.

20190127_223337.thumb.jpg.42f93e4bed6949d53de449c7a554c564.jpg

egg.jpg.f4caf0c7ecb017a243cbe62e0b43109c.jpg

Interesting I have never seen a white eggplant plant before. I'll check my local supermarket if they have a white one. That's right I remember now here they call it a Aubergine

Edited by Murtaza1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, notme said:

Also known as aubergine. 

@Laayla I would never have thought of cooking the stems. Are they similar in taste to anything else?

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

It is not bland sister, but I don't know what other food item I can say it compares too.  But to me it is more rewarding than the eggplant itself.  :)  I like it because it is hard, and not mushy like the eggplant when cooked.

If you are interested to know the recipe, click the link below

http://www.tasteofbeirut.com/eggplant-stems-stew/

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

nteresting I have never seen a white eggplant plant before. I'll check my local supermarket if they have a white one. That's right I remember now here they call it a Aubergine

I've never seen a white Aubergine either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marbles said:

 

That's why they are called eggplant.

They are still in existence in 2019. I just bought half a kilo on my way home.

Here we have both types. The 'sufaid bengan' (white aubergine or eggplant) and next to them the normal dark purple variety.

20190127_223337.thumb.jpg.42f93e4bed6949d53de449c7a554c564.jpg

egg.jpg.f4caf0c7ecb017a243cbe62e0b43109c.jpg

2
2
2

Thanks for sharing. I will be staying at my parents for a couple of days. I'll ask my mother to regale me about all the seasonal vegetables that she used to consume in Pakistan. How much I miss eating out in Pakistan. My cousins used to secretly take me to eat the street food when we were kids... and my dada would get furious with them because he worried that I'd get sick because he believed that I had a sensitive 'angrezo wala' stomach. 

Edited by Aflower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Marbles said:

Eating

Strawberries with cream...

stawberries-IMG_0744.jpg.03887f2a01f28436320f75346dca65b5.jpg

My plate doesn't look as delicious as this but still...

Strawberries and cream in Pakistan? Wow! They never seem to taste sweet to me anymore. Plus, unless you eat them on the day they are purchased, they go off very quickly. I stick to blueberries instead as they tend to have a slightly longer shelf life. Though blueberries do stain teeth. I've paid a fortune over the years to get my teeth whitened owing to black coffee and blueberries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Aflower said:

Strawberries and cream in Pakistan? Wow! They never seem to taste sweet to me anymore. Plus, unless you eat them on the day they are purchased, they go off very quickly.

Fruit vendors over here wash them before displaying and that is why they go off very quickly. They'd have a longer shelf life if they let the end user wash them. The only survive until the next day even if I put them in the fridge. 

Strawberries grown in Pakistan aren't of great quality, since they aren't indigenous to the land and haven't really taken to the soil after all these years of local farming (unlike kinnows, which is a citrus fruit first farmed in the US but now the Indo-Pak region has the best quality kinnows in the world). But something is better than nothing. We only get strawberries for a couple of months in winter and then they are gone.

I eat blueberries, raspberries, and other foreign berries only when I travel abroad, because we don't get them over here. We get cherries, mulberries, jamun, and bayr when in season. I don't know what you call bayr in English or even if there's a word for that. Another local berry from the family of raspberries is called "rass bhari" but they are a world apart from raspberries.

Here endeth the lecture on berries :coffee:

 

Edited by Marbles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried to eat, but failed.

The local supermarket had the offer of free food. This seemed way better than my usual purchasing of cheap food that is on its sell-by date. Unfortunately, if you look at the offer head on the box covers up the fact that the offer is only for children (as you can see below).

A bit embarrassing, when I was told by a sales assistant not to eat it myself. But lesson learned and now I have to take Abbas with me.

IMG_1266.thumb.jpg.2551aafa11a40745b797e2b54c3f3869.jpg

Edited by Haji 2003

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eating: toast with gravy. Mmmmm. 

d80abebdf3118e183b9472b0ba8c7ce1--chicke

Not my photo. Mine is ugly but delicious. 

Will eat: the menu says we're having waffles, but I keep going back and forth on whether I want to do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 4:08 PM, Marbles said:

Fruit vendors over here wash them before displaying and that is why they go off very quickly. They'd have a longer shelf life if they let the end user wash them. The only survive until the next day even if I put them in the fridge. 

Strawberries grown in Pakistan aren't of great quality, since they aren't indigenous to the land and haven't really taken to the soil after all these years of local farming (unlike kinnows, which is a citrus fruit first farmed in the US but now the Indo-Pak region has the best quality kinnows in the world). But something is better than nothing. We only get strawberries for a couple of months in winter and then they are gone.

I eat blueberries, raspberries, and other foreign berries only when I travel abroad, because we don't get them over here. We get cherries, mulberries, jamun, and bayr when in season. I don't know what you call bayr in English or even if there's a word for that. Another local berry from the family of raspberries is called "rass bhari" but they are a world apart from raspberries.

Here endeth the lecture on berries :coffee:

 

You forgot Pakistani ‘falsey’ which is sacrelige, unless it’s hidden in one of those English terms for it. 

Falsey with crushed black rock salt. Heavens in spicy land. 

@Aflower you haven’t tried US North East starwberries yet, without genetically grown, their natural form is size of an apple, and if ripened in sun for half a day, are crispy sweet better than, well there is no comparison. And I would never adulterate mine with cream or chocolate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eating: Zarda(rice cooked in sugar syrup and flavoured with cardamom, nuts and sweets)

rps20190202_190711_264.thumb.jpg.9f8a4ab840ccc2fbe3e406c6977d954c.jpg

Will eat: nothing until morning :D

Edited by starlight
'Flavoured' not 'favoured'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brisket.jpg
Brisket

Frito Pie.jpg
Frito Pie (ground beef cooked in marinara sauce, frito chips, jalapenos, salsa, Mexican cheese)

Hot dogs.jpg
Hot dogs

Khow Suey.jpg
Khow Suey (Burmese dish - noodles, chicken, coconut milk gravy topped with chips, garlic chips, lime, cilantro)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

Brisket.jpg
Brisket

Frito Pie.jpg
Frito Pie (ground beef cooked in marinara sauce, frito chips, jalapenos, salsa, Mexican cheese)

Hot dogs.jpg
Hot dogs

Khow Suey.jpg
Khow Suey (Burmese dish - noodles, chicken, coconut milk gravy topped with chips, garlic chips, lime, cilantro)

Mouth watering, almost have the smell at 3:09 am :itsok: Thankyou for making this time more comfortable :dry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone from the Bible Belt made a comment in a keto group I follow:

"I find it strange that Jesus said that He is the Bread of life, but the American wheat is killing us."

I replied, "Perhaps Jesus meant He's almond bread."

 

Edited by Marbles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...