Assalam Alikum 

8:00 scrambled eggs with mozzarella cheese

condiment: red spicy sauce aka muhamarra 

10:00 grapefruit very juicy and delicious 

3:30 okra stew with rice

Dinner:  baked fish

Alhamd'Allah rab al 3lameen 

@shia farm girl

Dear sister, how do I know how many calories I consumed?

Is this over 2,000 cals?

As salaamun aleikum sister:)

Well, it depends on a few factors. Eggs are generally about 70 to 80 calories a piece depending on their size, people generally use a tablespoon of oil to cook them which is about 120  calories I believe, grapefruits I think are around 50 calories per fruit, and the mozzarella cheese, well I would need to know how much you used, but generally a serving of cheese is about 110 calories. I'm not familiar with the red sauce you made and what it consists of, so I would need to know more before I could give  a general estimate..okra, being a vegetable, and I don't believe they're starchy, will be low on the calorie index, the thing I would be the most concerned about, is what kind of rice you used and how much of it. People generally eat way more rice than a normal serving size. A serving size of rice is around 160 calories, and I think that equals a cup, but I'm not 100% sure, I just know that it's a 160 a serving, and that's not including if you used any butter or oil in it to keep it from sticking. My husband does that sometimes.. Fish are pretty low calorie too, but I don't eat fish myself so I can't really throw a number out there but if I had to add everything up according to my estimates, I would say you consumed less than 1000 calories depending on how much rice you ate, how many eggs (i guessed 3) and how much oil. Again, im not at all familiar with the sauce you used. When people make sauces, they primarily use a lot of oil or butter, and many times they use flour to thicken it up. I don't know if any of that was used in the sauce that you ate or not.

So theres my guess!

Im curious how close i am! 

My estimate for today was 1215. Yesterday, i ate around 900 and it was all raw veggies and fruit. Just dont feel like cooking sometimes!

Thanks for asking:)

@Laayla

PS: I just now saw that you asked about how you can know about how many calories youre eating. Well, i didn't really have a plan, just that before I would eat anything,I would Google it first, like "calories in one large tomato", or "calories in one medium apple", or "calories in one large banana", etc. After a while since I was eating these things pretty regularly, I just managed to remember and that alone made my estimating a lot easier.

Also, paying attention to the calories and the amount per serving on packages when you're in the store. One thing I taught my husband to do, is to look at the amount of servings in a package of whatever it is that he's buying, because chances are, he's going to sit there and eat the entire package, not just a serving size! He recently bought a package of Fig Newtons, and it had five rows of 20 cookies in it, and 2 cookies is a serving at a 100 calories! He sat there and ate 1 row which was 1000 calories, and because of what those things are made of, processed carbs and I knew he wouldn't stay full for long, and sure enough, he was up searching the kitchen for more stuff to eat:/

I was like oh heck no! Keep those things away from me and put them on the very top shelf in the cabinet where I can't reach them, because he's like six-two and I can't reach the top shelf!  

Anyway, you just got to get familiar with what you eat regularly and check the calorie amounts and it will begin to stick in your mind after a short while.

W/s

Edited by shia farm girl

2 minutes ago, shia farm girl said:

My estimate for today was 1215. Yesterday, i ate around 900 and it was all raw veggies and fruit. Just dont feel like cooking sometimes!

Oh my God, sis! :o

Why do you eat so little? Are you on a diet? 

5 minutes ago, Carlzone said:

Oh my God, sis! :o

Why do you eat so little? Are you on a diet? 

Lol, well, i AM watching what i eat,lol..Im down visiting my parents right now like I do every week, and these are the days where I actually get to go back to how I sed to normally eat as when I'm with my husband, he has a different diet than I do. He's Persian, so he grew up with and is set on having lots of bread, rice, and the whole dessert thing...none of those items have ever been a staple in my diet, because I'm extremely sensitive to gaining weight when I consume those products. Since we got together three years ago, I've put on 10 lb. I used to be super ripped & defined, but now thanks to eating the way he does and my life becoming more sedentary, im back to working at it again.

Recently,  I made a recommitment to myself to go back to the way I was eating before I met him. I can totally sustain and be healthy on a  low calorie diet, but dont worry, I don't go low calorie everyday, I vary it. The low  days of my week are yesterday and today, but then when I go back with him for the next 5 days, my diet will be closer to 1500 per day,maybe a little less on a few depending on if he buys hot, fresh barbari bread or not,lol! :(

It's unfortunate, because it's not just his very carbs Centric diet thats had a bad effect on me, but the fact that I'm turning 43 next month and I'm a female. All three of those things work against me. There was a point in my life, up to my mid-thirties where I didn't even need to watch what I ate, but things change as we get older,  and I have to work with that change because to let myself gain weight now at this age will mean that I'm probably going to be stuck with it for the rest of my life as it gets harder and harder,especially for women to lose weight as we age:(

W/s

16 minutes ago, shia farm girl said:

Lol, well, i AM watching what i eat,lol..Im down visiting my parents right now like I do every week, and these are the days where I actually get to go back to how I sed to normally eat as when I'm with my husband, he has a different diet than I do. He's Persian, so he grew up with and is set on having lots of bread, rice, and the whole dessert thing...none of those items have ever been a staple in my diet, because I'm extremely sensitive to gaining weight when I consume those products. Since we got together three years ago, I've put on 10 lb. I used to be super ripped & defined, but now thanks to eating the way he does and my life becoming more sedentary, im back to working at it again.

Recently,  I made a recommitment to myself to go back to the way I was eating before I met him. I can totally sustain and be healthy on a  low calorie diet, but dont worry, I don't go low calorie everyday, I vary it. The low  days of my week are yesterday and today, but then when I go back with him for the next 5 days, my diet will be closer to 1500 per day,maybe a little less on a few depending on if he buys hot, fresh barbari bread or not,lol! :(

It's unfortunate, because it's not just his very carbs Centric diet thats had a bad effect on me, but the fact that I'm turning 43 next month and I'm a female. All three of those things work against me. There was a point in my life, up to my mid-thirties where I didn't even need to watch what I ate, but things change as we get older,  and I have to work with that change because to let myself gain weight now at this age will mean that I'm probably going to be stuck with it for the rest of my life as it gets harder and harder,especially for women to lose weight as we age:(

W/s

Oh I see.

Are you working out regularly? That is supposed to increase the metabolism. 

How are your stress levels? Coz stress in itself can make you gain weight even if you eat the same amount of food as before.

Keto menu today:

* A cup of sarson ka saag (mustard greens plus a little spinach and fenugreek) cooked in ghee. I'm happy to report that this absolutely delicious desi delicacy is keto friendly. However eating it with a spoon is rather odd.

* A bowl of leafy greens dressed in homemade mayo, same as before and same as in the pic.

Later:

* Sauteed veggies: broccoli, cauliflower, shimla peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, green beans.

* 3oz of minced beef.

*  A piece of almond cake. Cake not bread.

20190106_173547.thumb.jpg.99ef39a33aefd9ae1cc731ab7e23ab09.jpg

Edited by Marbles

Thank you sister @shia farm girl your post was very informative and helpful.  God bless you.

I understand your husband's lifestyle of eating.  Bread is very important in my culture as well.  I'm struggling with removing bread from my lifestyle, but it is very difficult.

Your post and brother Marble's postings actually motivate me to do better, Insh'Allah.

Image result for hindba lebanese

this is dandelion leaves

I made it to this

Image result for hindba lebanese

I wanted to make a sandwich, but I remembered I boiled beats.  I cut up two beats and added cumin and salt.  Usually I add lemon too, but I ran out.  

Image result for beets with cumin

Edited by Laayla
pics are all from google

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum

My dear uncle came and visited me today.  He is 82 years old, God bless him.  I refused that he would leave before he had dinner with us.  I asked him to mention to the children about being ungrateful towards food.  Alhamd'Allah they were listening to him.  :)  God grant him a long life.

Potatoes and chicken (breast) stew with rice

Salad

grape molasses aka debess ennab

Alhamd'Allah for everything.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

See photos thread for where we went today. Anyway afterwards my wife said that she had found a halal restaurant not far away. As soon as I saw the outside I knew that we would be burglarized. Atrocious Americanism, but just right for my anticipated feelings.

IMG_0591.thumb.jpg.671aaed94f3afe99758e0ca2e7b7f2bf.jpg

This is what I had:

IMG_0590.thumb.jpg.ba0bd41aae78b8adce59494e2504bc1a.jpg

Wife had a similar lamb dish and Abbas had some prawns.

Total bill US$50.

But as my wife pointed out the bread was free.

Jesus (a.s.) wept.

So I was pushed to go to this new Pan Asian restaurant (called X2) that opened recently in town.

I grilled the menu to find keto-friendly food and settled on Red Snapper in Walnut Sauce. I did not realise it would come with a thick crust of carbs. I got four smallish pieces of fish when I took its 'clothes' off (which my companions were happy to fork into their mouths). Aside from this little operation I enjoyed it.

It would have been a big portion had I eaten the whole thing. I wasn't expecting that much but 'twas on the pricey side.

20190102_202155.thumb.jpg.1a081477a22e6585de6bc8ed1c483a0b.jpg

^ beware of sauces, they can be absolutely riddled with sugar, even if they taste savoury.

You can tell by the decorations on the edge of the plate that the word naqhshaybazi was probably used somewhere in the business planning of this outfit.

On 2/4/2012 at 3:36 PM, Ruq said:

Please describe either:

-what you last ate

-what you are eating atm

-what your intend to eat next

I last ate a 1 egg omlette drizzled generously with marmite in a crispy white cob/roll/bap :wub: and i'd really like a cold ginger beer now, but we don’t have any so i'll settle for Vimto.

I know that post is old dating back to 2012 but Ginger Beer?

As for me I last had paprika crisps (chips if you are in America), I am not eating anything atm, I am planning to cook some prawns soon

1 hour ago, Haji 2003 said:

^ beware of sauces, they can be absolutely riddled with sugar, even if they taste savoury.

You can tell by the decorations on the edge of the plate that the word naqhshaybazi was probably used somewhere in the business planning of this outfit.

Yeah, sauces can kill it. I asked them to prepare my sauce without sugar. So it helped.

This is nothing. The platter next to me was a piece of art.

53 minutes ago, Murtaza1 said:

I know that post is old dating back to 2012 but Ginger Beer?

It's just a ginger-flavoured soda drink.

gin.jpg.deb6a4d5aa5bafd0f28ca72b3a8624ac.jpg

1 hour ago, Marbles said:

Yeah, sauces can kill it. I asked them to prepare my sauce without sugar. So it helped.

This is nothing. The platter next to me was a piece of art.

It's just a ginger-flavoured soda drink.

gin.jpg.deb6a4d5aa5bafd0f28ca72b3a8624ac.jpg

According to Ayatolah Sistani it depends what kind of barley its's made of (its question 4 on his website). I think I have also seen Sayed Muhammad al-Mousawi say anything with beer written is not allowed.

4Question: Is it permissible to drink beer that says “alcohol free” on it?
Answer: It is not permissible to drink, if “beer” means the drink made from barley that causes mild drunkenness. But if it means a drink made from barley that does not cause mild drunkenness, there is no problem in it. The drink that is made from barley and called "Fuqa' in Arabic is definitely forbidden and ritually impure as an obligatory precaution. This drink is not intoxicant normally but it makes one feel tipsy; that is a state of slight drunkenness caused apparently by low percentage of alcohol in the liquid. Therefore, if a drink is produced alcohol free in the first place and it is not called "Fuqa" (beer), there is no problem, or else, it is forbidden even if alcohol is separated from it. God knows best!

34 minutes ago, Murtaza1 said:

According to Ayatolah Sistani it depends what kind of barley its's made of (its question 4 on his website). I think I have also seen Sayed Muhammad al-Mousawi say anything with beer written is not allowed.

4Question: Is it permissible to drink beer that says “alcohol free” on it?
Answer: It is not permissible to drink, if “beer” means the drink made from barley that causes mild drunkenness. But if it means a drink made from barley that does not cause mild drunkenness, there is no problem in it. The drink that is made from barley and called "Fuqa' in Arabic is definitely forbidden and ritually impure as an obligatory precaution. This drink is not intoxicant normally but it makes one feel tipsy; that is a state of slight drunkenness caused apparently by low percentage of alcohol in the liquid. Therefore, if a drink is produced alcohol free in the first place and it is not called "Fuqa" (beer), there is no problem, or else, it is forbidden even if alcohol is separated from it. God knows best!

We don't see ginger beer in the US, but we have ginger ale. If it's the same thing, it's a soda drink, not at all resembling beer or made from beer. We do have root beer, which was originally sweetened and carbonated sassafras tea, also not related to beer. 

40 minutes ago, notme said:

We don't see ginger beer in the US, but we have ginger ale. If it's the same thing, it's a soda drink, not at all resembling beer or made from beer. We do have root beer, which was originally sweetened and carbonated sassafras tea, also not related to beer. 

I see ginger beer a lot here in the US. I usually see it sold in those thin glass bottles. It's like a stronger (in terms of the ginger taste) version of ginger ale. Has nothing to do with beer however and is delish if you like ginger drinks. 

52 minutes ago, notme said:

As long as it is not made of barley then I think its okay. You should look at the ingredients on the can or bottle

Ate:

Chicken mortadella slices (flavoured with cracked black pepper and pistachio bits) filled with mozzarella cheese, eggs, and spring onions. Baked in the oven.

PS: I gave myself a concession and used chicken mortadella slices from a colourful packet.

20190117_140756.thumb.jpg.f799ab58a175519011cb1d825c1cd9c3.jpg

Will eat:

Beef sausage and peppers spaghetti:

spaghetti-sausage-sl-1704073-x.jpg?itok=

Not my picture, but it'll resemble it, inshallah. 

Ate: a really interesting pumpkin flavored packaged cereal bar. I might buy them again, I'm undecided. I love the taste of pumpkin, but I don't eat many cereal bars or other packaged foods. 

It's probably seasonal anyway; I won't need to think about it until October or so.

Eating: cinnamon black tea with a pinch of sugar. It's good. 

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum 

Our last meal of the day was at 8 pm.  I made homemade vegetarian pizza and salad with pomegranate and orange zest. The family ate both pizza & salad and I only had the later.

I was still hungry so I cut two beets and ate it with lemon juice, cumin and salt.

I was still hungry, so I boiled water and added milk and cocoa powder.  

Alhamd'Allah, the drink made me full. :grin:

I'm very proud of myself that I didn't eat any pizza.   :sunglasses:  I made du32 for God to make me hate bread!  :rolleyes:

I'm going to aim for tomorrow not to eat any bread.   Wish me luck!

2 hours ago, Laayla said:

I made homemade vegetarian pizza and salad with pomegranate and orange zest. 

Mouth watering!! Wow!

Bear in mind I am having coffee with chocolate cake right now which I feel like giving up for your pizza and salad.I wish..

Assalam Alikum Sister @starlight

Insh'Allah you are well and in good health.

I still have leftovers, come over!  haha 

How are your children?  Are they picky eaters?  Are they eating the traditional Pakistani food or do you include other types of food?

Sister, can you name some "street food" Pakistani people sell on the road?  Do you find yourself eating it sometimes?

I would love to travel to Pakistan one day, Sub7an'Allah beautiful scenery, lovely people.

If you had the opportunity to do hijjra, would you leave Pakistan or would you stay where you are?  I know I asked personal questions, if you are uncomfortable responding in public, please pm back, and if you that also makes you uncomfortable, no problem sister, I understand.

Edited by Laayla