Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ruq

Ate/Eating/Will Eat?

Rate this topic

46 minutes ago, habib e najjaar said:

Hasanhh's menu:

You are grossly incorrect.

The hamburger ain't halal

The chicken ain't kosher

The fries are cooked in an 'unclean' grease

The pizza has pepperonni on it

And the vanilla in the ice cream is fermented.

:tongueangry:"gottcha"

4 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Yup, that is most definitely your kind of cooking. Excellent choice of tool too for making a broccoli orange salad :einstein::threatenlumber:

Edited by habib e najjaar

59 minutes ago, habib e najjaar said:

Yup, that is most definitely your kind of cooking. Excellent choice of tool too for making a broccoli orange salad :einstein::threatenlumber:

l gather you are not familiar with wives and rolling pin jokes.

ln the olden days, husbands got bopped with either a frying pan or a rolling pin.

Search: Hagar the Horrible + rolling pin; then click lmages

Hagar is 'my idol'.

Edited by hasanhh

l'm eating a hamburger  :shock:"OMG ! He is eating something different. What's wrong with Hasan?"

A couple of chicken nuggets with potatoe children.  :)"That's better."

On my hamburger l have saurkraut, tomatoe, cheese and garlic.

Rotini Alfredo with shrimp. Sadly, there are no leftovers so I will not be having it for breakfast. 

That was 2 lbs of pasta and 1 lb of shrimp, so a half pound of food per person not counting sauce, if we (incorrectly) assume an even distribution. 

l just finished:

1 hamburger on two kinds of rye with tomatoes, saurkraut and cheese

1/4 of a pizza with 5 kinds of cheese with diced tomatoes added

~30 potatoe children

1/2 can of root beer

2 good belches

:verryhappy:"Dang if that wasn't good."

Will eat:

I guess I'm calling these "Buffalo buns".

Shredded chicken with store-bought Buffalo sauce:

IMG-20191101-112937.jpg

Canned pizza dough. Two were not enough. Not pictured, a can of crescent rolls. Even with all that, some chicken remained. That's alright - we've also got a loaf of herbed Italian bread from the discount rack at the grocery store. 
IMG-20191101-121237.jpg

Here they are, ready to go. 
IMG-20191101-154812.jpg

IMG-20191101-154817.jpg

The little rolls are wrapped in canned crescent rolls. Those "sticks" and plain crescent are for my vegetarian kid. That one full size roll on the second tray is without sauce, for my spice-mild kid. I accommodate preferences where it doesn't require additional work. 

After they are baked and eaten, I'll update. These will be served with salad, and maybe some frozen fries. 

8 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

You forgot to explain what Buffalo sauce is? We buy it or whut?

I bought it. It's a little spicy and tangy. The one I bought was creamy Buffalo dipping sauce and it was on the store shelf next to hot sauces, but I've seen it without the creaminess too. It's usually used on "Buffalo wings". 

But if you don't like spicy foods, I'm absolutely certain barbecue sauce would also work. My daughter said the no sauce sandwich was a little dry and very bland, so if you choose to use plain chicken, maybe leave a little of the cooking juices or add some gravy and season it well. 

l tried a couple of new things this week.

l ran out of diced tomatoes for my pizza so l substituted in pineapple.  Not bad.

More interestingly, l had space between my sliced tomatoes on my oversized cheeseburger, so l filled them with a sliced strawberry. Different and kinda good.

18 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

l had:

A cheeseburger with double lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, extra-cheese, and a sliced strawberry.

:eat:

Wait, was the strawberry on the cheeseburger?

I'm having coffee with milk right now. 

43 minutes ago, notme said:

Wait, was the strawberry on the cheeseburger?

I'm having coffee with milk right now. 

Well you have most likely finished coffee, but don't worry, it is not gross.

l have these strawberries that will spoil if l do not use them up as they are drying out now.

So, as l posted 07Nov ---gosh, l have had them this long? ---l sliced one and put it on a burger just-to-see what it tasted like. lt has a tang to it that you notice but doesn't ruin the otherwise good burger. Which is why l used one this way again.

You could squeeze some juice onto the corner of one sandwich just-to-see.

ENGLISH LESSON: "just to see" is an American idiom signifying something experimental. That is why l used it twice in the reponse above.

OBTW edit: Did you see my observation in Food Club this week?

Edited by hasanhh

Ate: turkey and vegetable soup with dumplings. It was good. Soup warms the soul. 

Eating: coffee with milk, Triscuit crackers with garlic butter. 

Will eat: I'm thinking about beef and cheese burritos, but I'll have to shop. I have no beef or cheese right now. 

3 hours ago, notme said:

Ate: turkey

As notme attempts another "record-length for leftovers" with her turkey (8 days and counting), l had oatmeal, potatoe children and decaf with apple-cider vinegar and a dash of cinnamon.

39 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

As notme attempts another "record-length for leftovers" with her turkey (8 days and counting), l had oatmeal, potatoe children and decaf with apple-cider vinegar and a dash of cinnamon.

The rest of the leftovers are gone, but I've got 5 quarts of highly concentrated delicious broth. We will be enjoying this fresh from the freezer for quite a while. 

Persian cottage restaurant, in Middlesborough UK. I have not been but it's had a glowing review from Jay Rayner in the Guardian. Only problem is that it is in Middlesborough and I've never been there and can't think of a reason to do so either. In fact I don't really know where it is. Somewhere around Birmingham?

Based on their alcohol policy, also seems very likely to be halal.

They do not serve alcohol, but have no objection to you drinking. 

As for the food:

Persian rice is the best way with rice. It is the rice of your dreams, if your dreams involve rice, which sometimes they should do. It is light and fluffy and every grain is separate so that even with the traditional application of a little butter – foil wrapped pats are provided here for a bit of self-mixing – it never turns into some bolus of carbs.

Hmm. It gets better:

Chunks of lamb come fiercely flamed until dark and singed. There are cuts of still-soft chicken stained yellow by its marinade. There are undulating planks of spiced minced lamb, ready to leak their juices into the rice. We have a plate of lamb chops, lined up in serried ranks, the fat crisped to within an inch of decency. Do not trust anyone who attempts to eat these with anything but their hands. Bone-in lamb chops are food with a handle.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/dec/22/jay-rayner-persian-cottage-middlesbrough-rice-kebab-grill-lamb-charcoal-aubergine-hummus

3500.jpg?width=1920&quality=85&auto=form

Edited by Haji 2003

WARNING:  Consumption of beverages while reading this passage is not recommended.

So, put your cha, tea, coffee and juices down before reading further.

That means you too, Star   :grin:

So l needed to do some running around today. Out of a couple things, which l can determine by the two empty spaces in my refrigerator, l stop at the cheap store. While prowling the aisles for the most inexpensive items, l find this brownie mix.  :eat:"l'II try it." Reading the box l see l have to buy eggs to mix it. So l buy that also. Then grabbing the two  items l went in for, l check-out and drive home.

After l ready my potatoes and nugget for cooking, l  throw those into the oven and turn the expensive power on. Then l begin to mix this "Chewey Fudge" brownie mix in a Pyrex dish. Eggs, oil, 3 tablespoons of H2O, a little extra cocoa from a can, l get it all mixed properly. Now l have a problem. Unless l want brownies about 80mm thick, l had to find something else to bake this mix in. Nothing in the kitchen. Nothing in the laundry room. l have pizza on the oven plate l do have in the refrigerator --which means l'd have find a place for uncooked pizza and scrape-clean the plate. So l went out and checked the garage. l found some blue-colored stove cooking sheet. Dirty, but l can wash it. lt still had something burnt on its inner side. Getting it into the dish sink, l check it again under better light. Some dirt. Maybe some from a mouse. Dust. A speck of expanding foam. Yeah, this will do. Wash, scrub and rinse. Looks good. Pouring the sloppy mix onto the sheet, it comes out about 7mm thick. An over improvement.

Now l put it into the pre-heated oven and take out the pie l bought. The potaotes and bisquits need a few more minutes. l stick the pie into the refrigerator since my stove top is kind of cluttered -and needs another good scraping besides. After another ten minutes, l take out my food and eat. Finishing these potatoe children and a bisquit, l wash the dish and then take out my 7mm brownies, setting them on the stove to cool.

l went back to eat some an hour ago. It crunched when l tried to cut out squares. Rocking the knife back-and-forth, l make my first cut across the sheet. Then l try to lift one out. Doesn't move. So l get my knife under one end and try it that way, almost bending the knife. Then flakes started coming off. Like cereal flakes in the morning, and a few crumbs. These tasted all right. Then the pieces started to break off to look like chocolate covered potatoe chips. They tasted kind good, too. Then irregularly shaped pieces.

l don't know how l am going to clean this. lf it were Summer, l'd set it out for the ants to clean. Maybe l can dissolve the residue with an acid.

Englishwoman served this up to her relatives for Xmas lunch and charged them each £35 (US$45) for the privilege. OK there was alcohol as well, but still.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7824191/Grandmother-charges-family-35-head-Christmas-dinner-says-120-profit-presents.html

22621516-7824191-image-m-10_157718235835

Edited by Haji 2003

17 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

Englishwoman served this up to her relatives for Xmas lunch and charged them each £35 (US$45) for the privilege. OK there was alcohol as well, but still.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7824191/Grandmother-charges-family-35-head-Christmas-dinner-says-120-profit-presents.html

22621516-7824191-image-m-10_157718235835

Yorkshire puddings, some chicken, roasted veggies, can't make out what's on the top left corner, all drizzled in brown sauce for £35? Hmmm. Looks mean to charge your own kids for a meal. I agree it can get expensive to feed a large family but in that case you can ask the children to pitch in for groceries or bring drinks or a pudding etc (which I think people normally do too when invited to dinner) 

Made me think of the all the Iraqis on Arbaeen.They put money aside all year and shower all sorts of free food to Zaireen. 

The funny thing is that she says that the purchase price of the food was less than the total money she made, so she used the extra money to buy presents for her relatives. This led one commentator to the news story to make the sharp observation that the guests were effectively paying for their own presents as well!

Ate last night: 

IMG-20200101-191130.jpg

New Year's Cake from a mix with my own personal modifications. 

And for breakfast, homemade bread with homemade fig jam:

IMG-20200102-081002.jpg

It's not already bitten - it broke when I was slicing it. 

Eating: just finished toast with garlic butter and cheese. Still sipping black tea with lavender and honey. 

Will eat: tonight's planned supper is simple tuna and rice. 

On 1/2/2020 at 11:18 AM, notme said:

from a mix with my own personal modifications. 

l count four colors plus the sprinkles. ls this mix your own personally modified 'scrap mix'?

:coffee::rolleyes:

l am eating, right out of the cooking pot, long-brown rice with spaighetti, navy beans, cheese, lentils and something l have forgotten . . . all spiced with garlic and something.

Not too bad.

Ate: coffee with milk, cheese toast.

Eating: dried cranberries and pecans

IMG-20200124-085420.jpg

Will eat: planning to make a "spicy no-mayo coleslaw" and a loaf of fresh bread for sandwiches for tonight's supper.