Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ruq

Ate/Eating/Will Eat?

Rate this topic

18 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

We also have eggplants in United Kingdom supermarkets. Its also common in Pakistan, over there its called a bagan I think. I wonder why its callled egg. 

14 hours ago, Aflower said:

Regarding the name, apparently back in the 1700s, the early European versions of eggplant were smaller in size, and yellow or white in colour. Hence, they resembled a goose or hen's egg, which led to it being named "eggplant". 

That's why they are called eggplant.

They are still in existence in 2019. I just bought half a kilo on my way home.

Here we have both types. The 'sufaid bengan' (white aubergine or eggplant) and next to them the normal dark purple variety.

20190127_223337.thumb.jpg.42f93e4bed6949d53de449c7a554c564.jpg

egg.jpg.f4caf0c7ecb017a243cbe62e0b43109c.jpg

14 minutes ago, Marbles said:

Here we have both types. The 'sufaid bengan' (white aubergine or eggplant) and next to them the normal dark purple variety.

Interesting I have never seen a white eggplant plant before. I'll check my local supermarket if they have a white one. That's right I remember now here they call it a Aubergine

Edited by Murtaza1

17 hours ago, notme said:

Also known as aubergine. 

@Laayla I would never have thought of cooking the stems. Are they similar in taste to anything else?

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

It is not bland sister, but I don't know what other food item I can say it compares too.  But to me it is more rewarding than the eggplant itself.  :)  I like it because it is hard, and not mushy like the eggplant when cooked.

If you are interested to know the recipe, click the link below

http://www.tasteofbeirut.com/eggplant-stems-stew/

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

2 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

nteresting I have never seen a white eggplant plant before. I'll check my local supermarket if they have a white one. That's right I remember now here they call it a Aubergine

I've never seen a white Aubergine either. 

2 hours ago, Marbles said:

Thanks for sharing. I will be staying at my parents for a couple of days. I'll ask my mother to regale me about all the seasonal vegetables that she used to consume in Pakistan. How much I miss eating out in Pakistan. My cousins used to secretly take me to eat the street food when we were kids... and my dada would get furious with them because he worried that I'd get sick because he believed that I had a sensitive 'angrezo wala' stomach. 

Edited by Aflower

5 hours ago, Marbles said:

Eating

Strawberries with cream...

stawberries-IMG_0744.jpg.03887f2a01f28436320f75346dca65b5.jpg

My plate doesn't look as delicious as this but still...

Strawberries and cream in Pakistan? Wow! They never seem to taste sweet to me anymore. Plus, unless you eat them on the day they are purchased, they go off very quickly. I stick to blueberries instead as they tend to have a slightly longer shelf life. Though blueberries do stain teeth. I've paid a fortune over the years to get my teeth whitened owing to black coffee and blueberries. 

28 minutes ago, Aflower said:

Strawberries and cream in Pakistan? Wow! They never seem to taste sweet to me anymore. Plus, unless you eat them on the day they are purchased, they go off very quickly.

Fruit vendors over here wash them before displaying and that is why they go off very quickly. They'd have a longer shelf life if they let the end user wash them. The only survive until the next day even if I put them in the fridge. 

Strawberries grown in Pakistan aren't of great quality, since they aren't indigenous to the land and haven't really taken to the soil after all these years of local farming (unlike kinnows, which is a citrus fruit first farmed in the US but now the Indo-Pak region has the best quality kinnows in the world). But something is better than nothing. We only get strawberries for a couple of months in winter and then they are gone.

I eat blueberries, raspberries, and other foreign berries only when I travel abroad, because we don't get them over here. We get cherries, mulberries, jamun, and bayr when in season. I don't know what you call bayr in English or even if there's a word for that. Another local berry from the family of raspberries is called "rass bhari" but they are a world apart from raspberries.

Here endeth the lecture on berries :coffee:

Edited by Marbles

Tried to eat, but failed.

The local supermarket had the offer of free food. This seemed way better than my usual purchasing of cheap food that is on its sell-by date. Unfortunately, if you look at the offer head on the box covers up the fact that the offer is only for children (as you can see below).

A bit embarrassing, when I was told by a sales assistant not to eat it myself. But lesson learned and now I have to take Abbas with me.

IMG_1266.thumb.jpg.2551aafa11a40745b797e2b54c3f3869.jpg

Edited by Haji 2003

Eating: toast with gravy. Mmmmm. 

d80abebdf3118e183b9472b0ba8c7ce1--chicke

Not my photo. Mine is ugly but delicious. 

Will eat: the menu says we're having waffles, but I keep going back and forth on whether I want to do that. 

On 1/27/2019 at 4:08 PM, Marbles said:

Fruit vendors over here wash them before displaying and that is why they go off very quickly. They'd have a longer shelf life if they let the end user wash them. The only survive until the next day even if I put them in the fridge. 

Strawberries grown in Pakistan aren't of great quality, since they aren't indigenous to the land and haven't really taken to the soil after all these years of local farming (unlike kinnows, which is a citrus fruit first farmed in the US but now the Indo-Pak region has the best quality kinnows in the world). But something is better than nothing. We only get strawberries for a couple of months in winter and then they are gone.

I eat blueberries, raspberries, and other foreign berries only when I travel abroad, because we don't get them over here. We get cherries, mulberries, jamun, and bayr when in season. I don't know what you call bayr in English or even if there's a word for that. Another local berry from the family of raspberries is called "rass bhari" but they are a world apart from raspberries.

Here endeth the lecture on berries :coffee:

You forgot Pakistani ‘falsey’ which is sacrelige, unless it’s hidden in one of those English terms for it. 

Falsey with crushed black rock salt. Heavens in spicy land. 

@Aflower you haven’t tried US North East starwberries yet, without genetically grown, their natural form is size of an apple, and if ripened in sun for half a day, are crispy sweet better than, well there is no comparison. And I would never adulterate mine with cream or chocolate. 

Eating: Zarda(rice cooked in sugar syrup and flavoured with cardamom, nuts and sweets)

rps20190202_190711_264.thumb.jpg.9f8a4ab840ccc2fbe3e406c6977d954c.jpg

Will eat: nothing until morning :D

Edited by starlight
'Flavoured' not 'favoured'

4 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

Brisket.jpg
Brisket

Frito Pie.jpg
Frito Pie (ground beef cooked in marinara sauce, frito chips, jalapenos, salsa, Mexican cheese)

Hot dogs.jpg
Hot dogs

Khow Suey.jpg
Khow Suey (Burmese dish - noodles, chicken, coconut milk gravy topped with chips, garlic chips, lime, cilantro)

Mouth watering, almost have the smell at 3:09 am :itsok: Thankyou for making this time more comfortable :dry:

Someone from the Bible Belt made a comment in a keto group I follow:

"I find it strange that Jesus said that He is the Bread of life, but the American wheat is killing us."

I replied, "Perhaps Jesus meant He's almond bread."

Edited by Marbles

3 hours ago, Marbles said:

"I find it strange that Jesus said that He is the Bread of life, but the American wheat is killing us."

I think nowadays bread is no longer the same as it was back in the days of  Prophets (peace be upon them all). These days we have a protein called gluten in our wheat breads which causes people digestive problems. That's why we have so much gluten free food in our supermarkets. Its all because food manufactures these days have been manipulating our foods with additives and unorganic harvesting practices. 

Edited by Murtaza1

Fruity Pebbles cereal and peanut butter rolled up in a tortilla. I have a cold and nothing tastes. My little son was snacking on cereal and it seemed like a good idea. It was not bad. I searched Google for a picture, but apparently everyone who has ever done this, just like me, has eaten it all before thinking of taking a picture. 

Ate: homemade bread with homemade spiced fig jam, and coffee with low-fat milk. 

Eating: nothing at the moment.

Will eat: tonight's supper is planned to be ground turkey gravy served atop rice, with a green vegetable or two yet to be determined. I'm contemplating roasting some brussel sprouts, or it might be steamed broccoli, everyone's favorite. 

8 hours ago, Laayla said:

This is eaten with 

Image result for lebanese yogurt and cucumber

this is same as Iranian Yogurt with Cucumber & dried mint leaf

^^^^

ah, brother but does the Iranian version include crushed garlic  lol

When I would go with my family to the Iranian gathering, we would make mujadara hamra and bring yogurt with us for potluck and they would :love:   haha

31 minutes ago, Laayla said:

^^^^

ah, brother but does the Iranian version include crushed garlic  lol

When I would go with my family to the Iranian gathering, we would make mujadara hamra and bring yogurt with us for potluck and they would :love:   haha

I said about it's appearance using garlic for us is optional that most of time we don't use for big gatherings also every nation has it's flavor for it that iraninas prefer salty  one but we love Lebanese & Arabic flavors too.

I wrote a few days ago about the free fruit for kids that my local supermarket offers. It's just one piece of apple, tangerine or banana. Anyway I picked up Maryam from school to get my 5 mile walk on a low carb diet. And on the way back, despite her protestations, we made a detour to the supermarket so that we could get the free fruit (on her account). I also show her where to get the discounted food that is on its sell-by date.

So she picks up a tangerine and makes a face (as if she is too good for it) and we continue shopping.

Later that day we go to Sakina's to wish her a happy birthday and in a pleasant show of generosity Maryam takes out the tangerine from her pocket and gives it to Sakina.

The little toerag.

am: coconut oil, apple cider vinegar

early noon: two fried eggs, coffee with heavy whipping cream 

noon: handful of pistachios

a bit later: three teaspoons of heavy cream, green tea 

dinner: chapli kabob peshawar style 

bit later: a spoonful of ghee, warm water 

now: Labbani, already half cup, can’t stop 

here goes my 3rd week of high fat, low protein meals 

Breakfast earlier today, smashed avocados with poached eggs. Maryam took the tomatoes and gave me the capers from her salmon and cream cheese bagel.

IMG_0610.thumb.JPG.7be89a73dd38e69a771d9db318b95733.JPG

We'd been discussing where to go for dinner. There was an Iranian place not far from the hotel, but Abbas had had a temperature earlier that day.

I suggested the place below, it was directly opposite the hotel. It is a Brazilian style steakhouse and nothing to suggest that it's halal. Anyway, my wife phoned them and was told that they do in fact serve halal and unlike a Tripadvisor commentator had reported you don't need to give 24 hours notice.

So we turned up and they explained how it works, basically you get the waiters come around with skewers of bbq'd meat, which you can have cut onto your plate (or not). They have these green discs to show that you do want to be served more or you turn them over and red the red side shows you don't want any more. They also gave us a blue disc which has halal written on it. So the claims to serve halal were kosher.

The crowd in the place seem fairly normal and there's nothing to suggest anything weird. But I did say to Maryam that given the waiters' willingness to come over with different skewers, the business model only made sense if the charge was about 50% more than what we were used to paying e.g. at places like Nandos. So I was counting on a bill of about £60-£70. Maryam thought it would be about £50 (I think she was going by the quality of the food).

Final bill is below.

I take beta blockers so I am not fazed by such things. But Maryam nearly fainted. In situations like this, my wife's usual response is, 'why didn't you check the price yourself'.

502803212_F769A181-FFD0-4451-B3BD-4F9273E211262.thumb.JPG.643063bf5199a4b57df4fd317edd87be.JPG

Edited by Haji 2003

Bism Allah

Breakfast: a grapefruit 

Lunch: mashed potatoes, not the boring traditional version but mine was with minced garlic, EVOO, dry crushed spearmint and wheat bread on the side.

If you have sumac you can add that too for a tasty tang.

0553f6785a765a9009dbd9751e8f8e7b.jpg

Dinner: kafta

f8c8acc41911b537f055917d5731abea.jpg

Pinterest 

Lunch yesterday, carrot and coriander soup. The seeds are a free topping so, I have lots of those and the staff don't seem to mind. A slice of bread costs an extra 80 US cents, so I add the free nachos instead.

IMG_0747.thumb.JPG.8600755e9ccc0b524f903aa098efa89b.JPG

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

Usually, Sundays is a day to relax and eat leftovers. That wasn't the case today.

Breakfast: Halloumi Cheese, Lebna, Fried Eggs with Cumin

Lunch:  Picture below

Is there anyone in ShiaChat who cooks at night?   The stew is ready, tomorrow I will cook the rice, so it will be fresh and warm.

Turmeric Lentil soup!

I added ground beef and fried onions with mine.

This red lentil soup recipe is perfect for fall and times that you need comfort food.

from

Image result for https://www.unicornsinthekitchen.com/

Breakfast

This is the classical z3tar mankousheeeeeeeeeeeeee

from Maureen Abood

image.jpeg.245f32dcaaf455aeb25065f7d999a35f.jpeg

Lunch

Koussa wbanadoura

Looking for a delicious zucchini side dish with few ingredients and simple cooking? In Lebanon, we prepare zucchini in a variety of ways. Here is a quick sautéed zucchini cooked in tomatoes.  (text and picture from Hadia)

Stewed Zucchini and Tomatoes(Koussa Wbanadoura)

What's for dinner?

image.jpeg.1875116458e8c626d637ec020c82e606.jpeg

Edited by Laayla