Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ruq

Ate/Eating/Will Eat?

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Marbles said:

Yeah, sauces can kill it. I asked them to prepare my sauce without sugar. So it helped.

This is nothing. The platter next to me was a piece of art.

It's just a ginger-flavoured soda drink.

gin.jpg.deb6a4d5aa5bafd0f28ca72b3a8624ac.jpg

According to Ayatolah Sistani it depends what kind of barley its's made of (its question 4 on his website). I think I have also seen Sayed Muhammad al-Mousawi say anything with beer written is not allowed.

4Question: Is it permissible to drink beer that says “alcohol free” on it?
Answer: It is not permissible to drink, if “beer” means the drink made from barley that causes mild drunkenness. But if it means a drink made from barley that does not cause mild drunkenness, there is no problem in it. The drink that is made from barley and called "Fuqa' in Arabic is definitely forbidden and ritually impure as an obligatory precaution. This drink is not intoxicant normally but it makes one feel tipsy; that is a state of slight drunkenness caused apparently by low percentage of alcohol in the liquid. Therefore, if a drink is produced alcohol free in the first place and it is not called "Fuqa" (beer), there is no problem, or else, it is forbidden even if alcohol is separated from it. God knows best!

34 minutes ago, Murtaza1 said:

According to Ayatolah Sistani it depends what kind of barley its's made of (its question 4 on his website). I think I have also seen Sayed Muhammad al-Mousawi say anything with beer written is not allowed.

4Question: Is it permissible to drink beer that says “alcohol free” on it?
Answer: It is not permissible to drink, if “beer” means the drink made from barley that causes mild drunkenness. But if it means a drink made from barley that does not cause mild drunkenness, there is no problem in it. The drink that is made from barley and called "Fuqa' in Arabic is definitely forbidden and ritually impure as an obligatory precaution. This drink is not intoxicant normally but it makes one feel tipsy; that is a state of slight drunkenness caused apparently by low percentage of alcohol in the liquid. Therefore, if a drink is produced alcohol free in the first place and it is not called "Fuqa" (beer), there is no problem, or else, it is forbidden even if alcohol is separated from it. God knows best!

We don't see ginger beer in the US, but we have ginger ale. If it's the same thing, it's a soda drink, not at all resembling beer or made from beer. We do have root beer, which was originally sweetened and carbonated sassafras tea, also not related to beer. 

40 minutes ago, notme said:

We don't see ginger beer in the US, but we have ginger ale. If it's the same thing, it's a soda drink, not at all resembling beer or made from beer. We do have root beer, which was originally sweetened and carbonated sassafras tea, also not related to beer. 

I see ginger beer a lot here in the US. I usually see it sold in those thin glass bottles. It's like a stronger (in terms of the ginger taste) version of ginger ale. Has nothing to do with beer however and is delish if you like ginger drinks. 

52 minutes ago, notme said:

As long as it is not made of barley then I think its okay. You should look at the ingredients on the can or bottle

Ate:

Chicken mortadella slices (flavoured with cracked black pepper and pistachio bits) filled with mozzarella cheese, eggs, and spring onions. Baked in the oven.

PS: I gave myself a concession and used chicken mortadella slices from a colourful packet.

20190117_140756.thumb.jpg.f799ab58a175519011cb1d825c1cd9c3.jpg

Will eat:

Beef sausage and peppers spaghetti:

spaghetti-sausage-sl-1704073-x.jpg?itok=

Not my picture, but it'll resemble it, inshallah. 

Ate: a really interesting pumpkin flavored packaged cereal bar. I might buy them again, I'm undecided. I love the taste of pumpkin, but I don't eat many cereal bars or other packaged foods. 

It's probably seasonal anyway; I won't need to think about it until October or so.

Eating: cinnamon black tea with a pinch of sugar. It's good. 

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum 

Our last meal of the day was at 8 pm.  I made homemade vegetarian pizza and salad with pomegranate and orange zest. The family ate both pizza & salad and I only had the later.

I was still hungry so I cut two beets and ate it with lemon juice, cumin and salt.

I was still hungry, so I boiled water and added milk and cocoa powder.  

Alhamd'Allah, the drink made me full. :grin:

I'm very proud of myself that I didn't eat any pizza.   :sunglasses:  I made du32 for God to make me hate bread!  :rolleyes:

I'm going to aim for tomorrow not to eat any bread.   Wish me luck!

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

2 hours ago, Laayla said:

I made homemade vegetarian pizza and salad with pomegranate and orange zest. 

Mouth watering!! Wow!

Bear in mind I am having coffee with chocolate cake right now which I feel like giving up for your pizza and salad.I wish..

Assalam Alikum Sister @starlight

Insh'Allah you are well and in good health.

I still have leftovers, come over!  haha 

How are your children?  Are they picky eaters?  Are they eating the traditional Pakistani food or do you include other types of food?

Sister, can you name some "street food" Pakistani people sell on the road?  Do you find yourself eating it sometimes?

I would love to travel to Pakistan one day, Sub7an'Allah beautiful scenery, lovely people.

If you had the opportunity to do hijjra, would you leave Pakistan or would you stay where you are?  I know I asked personal questions, if you are uncomfortable responding in public, please pm back, and if you that also makes you uncomfortable, no problem sister, I understand.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

Edited by Laayla

10 hours ago, Laayla said:

I still have leftovers, come over!  haha 

InshaAllah, one day!!

How are your children?  Are they picky eaters?  Are they eating the traditional Pakistani food or do you include other types of food?

My daughter has been giving me lots of trouble lately, getting her to finish her meal is never ending struggle. We eat mostly Pakistani food but occasionally we will have some chinese or Italian style pasta or sometimes I will bake a pie but overall I will have to admit, we are not as 'adventurous' with food as one should be :) 

can you name some "street food" Pakistani people sell on the road?  Do you find yourself eating it sometimes?

I would kill for a plate of good 'Dahi Bhallay/barray'  ground lentil balls soaked in yogurt and topped with tamarind sauce and sprinkled with onions and tomatoes and fried khubz like thingies.... :D 

If you had the opportunity to do hijjra, would you leave Pakistan or would you stay where you 

Logistically speaking, I can't even move to another city Mother and Aunt to take care of,(besides my children.lol) and they are at an age where they don't want to leave their familiar surroundings. I crave stability and somewhat of a boring life now(the only excitement being the ziyaraat trips preferably twice a year) so unless there is something that really motivates me to move, I am staying where I am. 

I would love to travel to Pakistan one day

InshaAllah, that too and also Ziyaraats.

Edited by starlight

Sister Star,

Thank you sister for answering my questions.  Few are like you left in this world.  How honorable and God is giving you so much blessings taking care of your loved ones.   You are a strong and loving caregiver.  God bless you and fulfill your hajjat.

Just to stay on topic, just ate 7 raisins immersed in water.  Drank the water too.

One of the comments on YT

A popular doctor did not prescribe me any medicine for low hemoglobin in blood, instead, she asked me to eat overnight soaked raisin's and drink the soaked water in an empty stomach. And guess what, it did increase hemoglobin level in my blood naturally. 1) use black raisin's with seeds. Chew the raisin's with seed well and swallow them, as this has lot of fibre in it, Helps you get rid of constipation. 2) just wash them and soak them in drinking clean water overnight and next day morning in empty stomach drink the water and eat the raisin's. Don't boil the water and raisin's.

1 hour ago, Marbles said:

Ate:

Paye :eat:

(Haters going to hate but its lovers going to love)

In a perfect world I'd have eaten this with a couple of hot naans or at least a khameeri roti but since we do not live in a perfect world, I imagined a beef stew-soup and used a spoon to eat most of it until I had to get my hands dirty...

paya-m.jpg.1b18e6e1a08efe6cfbf7b42eb24753f3.jpg

(pic off the web)

Imagine -18C outside and paya inside (literally and foguratively). This is what I had yesterday with tandoori bread.

Feet soup? Hmm. 

I've got peanut butter granola bars baking right now. My picky eater vegetarian kid likes cookies, so I'm hoping he will accept these as a source of some protein. He doesn't eat peanut butter, cheese, or yogurt anymore, nothing but fruits, vegetables, pasta, rice, bread, and of course junk food. 

My menu plan says tonight's supper is supposed to be beans and rice, but I'm thinking eggs and potatoes sounds more appealing in the wintery weather we're having right now. I wonder if my people would accept eggs, potatoes, and vegetable soup. 

Ate: coffee with milk

Eating: nothing

Will eat: probably as stated above. 

19 hours ago, Marbles said:

and used a spoon to eat most of it

On such occasions only these spoons will do:

cg138_g.jpg

Edited by Haji 2003

Bismehe Ta3ala 

Assalam Alikum 

Venting below :blabla:

This post is only for sisters :angry:

I haven't made spaghetti for over 4 months.  Today, I thought I would be brave enough to do it again and I did.

Children said it was yummy & thank you.  

My child's tutor (19 yes old) said, “Thank you, it was delicious." She wasn't lying because when she doesn't like something, the food remains as is.

So I was happy, thinking dh is going to eat and enjoy the meal.

His first comment, "Why is it dry?"  and he eats a few bites.

I grab a jar of sauce and boil it and add minced garlic, oregano, and stir it in the spaghetti until it boils again.  After salat al mughrib, I serve up the spaghetti.  He doesn't touch it!   Arghhhhhh

Atleast the kids will eat it tommorow.  

Am I allowed to stick out my tongue to dh loooool :tongueangry:

Sisters, how do you make spaghetti?  What's your recipe?

M3 Salamah, Fe Amin Allah 

22 hours ago, Irfani313 said:

Imagine -18C outside and paya inside (literally and foguratively). This is what I had yesterday with tandoori bread.

If there were an 11th commandment it would be: eat thy paye...

Ate: Breakfast which was scrambled eggs with cheese and spinach, toast, and leftover cooked veggies from last night... and then 3 Neapolitan icecream sandwiches. Because I'm an adult and I can. 

Ate: Yesterday evening I made a most lovely dressing for our "sea tacos". The tacos were ok. The sauce/dressing was delicious. It was improvised from what we had on hand and nothing was measured, but essentially it was chipotle-ranch-tartar sauce, and none was left over. 

Eating: coffee with milk and a piece of fish that was left over. Whenever we have fish for breakfast, I call it "Jesus breakfast" and have been for all my adult life. I never had fish for breakfast as a child. 

Will eat: planning to make a veggie pizza for tonight's supper. I mix the dough in my bread machine, so it's actually a pretty easy meal, just chopping, grating, and baking. 

Ate: 

Chicken tikka, chicken kebab, mutton qorma - at a dinner party tonight.

Didn't touch: biryani, naans, sohan halwa, sweetened Kashmiri tea, sweet paan (betel leaf). What a tragedy to miss those :(

Edited by Marbles

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

I think most of you have never ate eggplant stems.  Usually people discard it.  But in case you didn't know, it is very delicious and it is made as a stew.

The stew contains chick peas, ground beef and eggplant stems. 

image.jpeg.4a1d828d4a487173f2469dda1d45d682.jpeg

eggplant-stew.jpg

pic from Taste of Beirut

57 minutes ago, Laayla said:

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

I think most of you have never ate eggplant stems.  Usually people discard it.  But in case you didn't know, it is very delicious and it is made as a stew.

The stew contains chick peas, ground beef and eggplant stems. 

image.jpeg.4a1d828d4a487173f2469dda1d45d682.jpeg

eggplant-stew.jpg

pic from Taste of Beirut

We also have eggplants in United Kingdom supermarkets. Its also common in Pakistan, over there its called a bagan I think. I wonder why its callled egg. 

3 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

We also have eggplants in United Kingdom supermarkets. Its also common in Pakistan, over there its called a bagan I think. I wonder why its callled egg. 

I believe it's called 'bengan' but I will get this confirmed by my mother when I speak to her next.

Regarding the name, apparently back in the 1700s, the early European versions of eggplant were smaller in size, and yellow or white in colour. Hence, they resembled a goose or hen's egg, which led to it being named "eggplant". 

21 minutes ago, notme said:

Also known as aubergine. 

@Laayla I would never have thought of cooking the stems. Are they similar in taste to anything else?

Some people do actually eat the stems, but mostly they are for aesthetic purposes only.

7 hours ago, Aflower said:

I believe it's called 'bengan' but I will get this confirmed by my mother when I speak to her next.

Regarding the name, apparently back in the 1700s, the early European versions of eggplant were smaller in size, and yellow or white in colour. Hence, they resembled a goose or hen's egg, which led to it being named "eggplant". 

Yes your right it is called bengan in Pakistan. You wrote the pronunciation more correctly than I did. Interesting insight. That reminds me that carrots used to be purple too lol