Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ruq

Ate/Eating/Will Eat?

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Haji 2003 said:

Added to the list for being fat:

1. It's because I'm big boned
  2. It's genetics
  3. It's my hormones

Lolz...I know you will find this really hard to believe but back in my clinical work days one of the most common excuses we got to hear for extra weight was.... ''Doctor Sahiba, yeh fat nahein he, ye hawa he'' (It's not fat, it's all air):hahaha::hahaha:

On 10/31/2018 at 10:59 PM, starlight said:

Lolz...I know you will find this really hard to believe but back in my clinical work days one of the most common excuses we got to hear for extra weight was.... ''Doctor Sahiba, yeh fat nahein he, ye hawa he'' (It's not fat, it's all air):hahaha::hahaha:

LOL... my mom is fat and she says " beta tumhari ammi suji hoi hein"

10 hours ago, notme said:

What's saffron buns? I've never heard of it, but it sounds really good. 

They are really good, almost melt in your mouth. At least the ones I like. :eat:

Well it's a northeuropean creation. They come in different shapes and forms and even the ingredients vary. 

They are yellow from the saffron and the dough is similar to the dough of regular cinnamon buns. No cinnamon is used here though. Raisins or almond paste are normally used instead. 

2 hours ago, Carlzone said:

They are really good, almost melt in your mouth. At least the ones I like. :eat:

Well it's a northeuropean creation. They come in different shapes and forms and even the ingredients vary. 

They are yellow from the saffron and the dough is similar to the dough of regular cinnamon buns. No cinnamon is used here though. Raisins or almond paste are normally used instead. 

I'm going to look for a recipe! Do you recommend any particular one? I'll look for a recipe with saffron, almond paste, and raisins, and no cinnamon. Anything else in particular? I like saffron in anything. Sounds like a lovely weekend breakfast/brunch with some coffee or hot cocoa. 

47 minutes ago, notme said:

I'm going to look for a recipe! Do you recommend any particular one? I'll look for a recipe with saffron, almond paste, and raisins, and no cinnamon. Anything else in particular? I like saffron in anything. Sounds like a lovely weekend breakfast/brunch with some coffee or hot cocoa. 

Oh ok, InshaAllah you will find a great recipe. I buy them from the stores so unfortunately I don't have the recipe to the ones I prefer. 

You can either do the ones with almond paste or the ones with raisins. I prefer the ones with raisins (lots of raisins). But it's very individual. Some people hate the raisins and throw them before eating the buns. :confused: And personally I avoid the ones with almond paste. Sometimes they are really tasty but most often they are not according to my taste. But surely one must try everything once before making up ones mind. 

InshaAllah yours will taste great. Homemade stuff no matter what it is often taste great.

I'm having a most unusual cup of flavored tea. It's black tea leaves with a little bit of roasted coffee beans, infused as tea. It's strange, but I think I like it. It's almost chocolatey tasting. 

Ate: earlier today I breakfasted on rice with gravy.

Will eat: tonight's supper is planned to be salsa poached eggs atop fried potatoes. 

Last night for dinner I made my own Americanized version of aash-e rashteh (using what few random ingredients I had on hand, eek). It was okay... Husband loved it though alhamdulillah. Tonight I plan on making some kind of Mexican style casserole. I don't have a recipe but I've made it multiple times before and I think it's kind of hard to mess up. I bought eggplant this morning (for the first time in my life)... It's so beautiful but I'm not sure what I will do with it. 

6 hours ago, ireallywannaknow said:

Last night for dinner I made my own Americanized version of aash-e rashteh (using what few random ingredients I had on hand, eek). It was okay... Husband loved it though alhamdulillah. Tonight I plan on making some kind of Mexican style casserole. I don't have a recipe but I've made it multiple times before and I think it's kind of hard to mess up. I bought eggplant this morning (for the first time in my life)... It's so beautiful but I'm not sure what I will do with it. 

So dinner was a fail tonight. Was a long day and we were both tired so dinner is.... Grilled cheese sandwiches. And a pear. Yeah. One of those kind of days. 

On 12/5/2018 at 12:33 PM, ireallywannaknow said:

I bought eggplant this morning (for the first time in my life)... It's so beautiful but I'm not sure what I will do with it.

Salam ,sometime eggplants can be sour for removing their sour taste you must remove it's skin & cover it for half an hour with salt then wash them 

https://www.2nafare.com/گرفتن-تلخی-بادمجان-removing-the-bitterness-from-eggplant/

the Iranian popular receipt is called " Kashk Bademjan" 'کشک بادمجان"

طرز ت��� کشک باد�جا�

http://www.kalleh.com/book/تغذیه/طرز-تهیه-کشک-بادمجان

it' very easy just cut them from length in two pieces  & grill them in oil with a little amout of salt then pound them & separately do sauteing  powder of dry mint then choped garlic & then choped onion that grilled in oil every body can mix them  & ate it with bread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sautéing

Will eat for dinner inshaAllah: stewed eggplant and tomatoes with rice and salmon fillets. I made it already but we will wait to pray maghrib first. 

A couple days ago I attempted to make Caribbean shrimp roti with ingredients I had on hand (just enough for myself since hubby doesn't like shrimp). It didn't turn out well and it's still sitting in my fridge. I don't know what to do and I'm scared. :(

Edited by ireallywannaknow

9 minutes ago, ireallywannaknow said:

Will eat for dinner inshaAllah: stewed eggplant and tomatoes with rice and salmon fillets. I made it already but we will wait to pray maghrib first. 

A couple days ago I attempted to make Caribbean shrimp roti with ingredients I had on hand (just enough for myself since hubby doesn't like shrimp). It didn't turn out well and it's still sitting in my fridge. I don't know what to do and I'm scared. :(

"stewed eggplant"?   EEeee-YUCK

"l attempted to make"  shrimp roti ?  how can shrimp be a little rotten? lt either is or it isn't.

And what's a carib bean?

15 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

"l attempted to make"  shrimp roti ?  how can shrimp be a little rotten? lt either is or it isn't.

In case that wasn't an attempt at humour ... in Urdu/Hindi, roti is a flat bread. 

48e26aa2ee9458404c262bba6ef94c25.jpg

1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

stewed eggplant"?   EEeee-YUCK

It came out yummy :) my husband had the same reaction as you but after he tried it he said he really liked it. 

Shrimp roti is delicious if you can get it somewhere authentic. My house is not authentic hence it came out... Wrong lol. 

And what's a carib bean?

Trinidad, Jamaica, etc. 

On 11/28/2018 at 7:34 AM, Laayla said:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh come on. :angry:

Why is this thread in a club room now? :sign_no:

Gosh, this was always in the main forum. :brucelee:

I had to search for it to find this thread. :mod:

It was an experiment to see who would even notice. Apparently it took from mid October (when the thread was moved) to the end of November for you to mention that it was in the Food Club (6 weeks). This topic was returned to the Off-Topic subforum. Bon Appetit: Enjoy your meal. :) 

21 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

It was an experiment to see who would even notice

I'd look in the off-topic forum and not see it and think about something else. Then I remembered (old age) my little hack, which was to have a link to my favourite threads on my browser:

11 hours ago, ireallywannaknow said:

My house is not authentic hence . . .

"hence" . . . it is paper mache` ?   :D

Thanks for the info on roti.

l have been eating homemade fish hoaggies.

My late sister's husband raved about eggplant, so Dad planted some. Later when served l said eggplant is "a waste of water and good manure".

Edited by hasanhh
quotationmark

@Hameedeh  Thank you for returning the thread to the subforum.  :)  God bless you.

@hasanhh  You better not make barf sounds or disgusting reactions.  If you never tried it you can't make a comment about it.  God help your mother, I wonder what you did to her as a child. 

Image result for lebanese mloukhieh (pic found somewhere on the internet)

If you are Lebanese, you will know this dish.  I had guests over yesterday and it was a hit!

If I knew an Egyptian on SC I would have tagged them and they would know it!

This is royalty food!

A kilo of the leaves easily cost 45,000 LL

There are many variations of making this dish, depending on what 3rab country you come from.

@Carlzone  I don't think 3raqis make this.  

Edited by Laayla
Name of the dish is on the YT clip

15 hours ago, Laayla said:

Image result for lebanese mloukhieh (pic found somewhere on the internet)

If you are Lebanese, you will know this dish.  I had guests over yesterday and it was a hit!

If I knew an Egyptian on SC I would have tagged them and they would know it!

This is royalty food!

A kilo of the leaves easily cost 45,000 LL

There are many variations of making this dish, depending on what 3rab country you come from.

@Carlzone  I don't think 3raqis make this.  

@Laayla I don't think we Iraqis normally do this dish, but I have heard of it from other friends. One of my friends is married to a Lebanese guy and he loves this dish while she hates it.

I guess it's a bit like licorice or fesenjoon. You either love it or hate it.

Eggplant is compatible with every aspect and strengthens the stomach. Imam Sadiq said: eat eggplant, because this plant will be beneficial without harming the gallbladder. It is medicine for other pains without causing pain

Imam Reza:To one of his custodians For us, make a lot of eggplant, because during the cold it is warm and hot when it is cold, it is always temperate and, at any season, it is good.

Teb'al Aiema (Medicine of Imams ) p139

Imam Reza (as) :During harvesting dates season (june july August) , eat plenty of eggplants because it heals every pain, brightens up the face, softens the veins and increases the sexual force.

الخصال ، صفحه 443 ، حدیث 36

Al-Khisal p 443 Hadith 36

eggplant must be roasted with olive or sesame oil to be beneficial

22 minutes ago, Laayla said:

hasanhh  You better not make barf sounds or disgusting reactions.  If you never tried it you can't make a comment about it.  God help your mother, I wonder what you did to her as a child. 

l didn't make any "disgusting" sounds. Only an apropos groan.

l did try it. That ONCE.  Blaa[edit out]  :D

God help Ma?  inshallah, but "no" votes from me.

What "l" did? You have that inverted.

Now l know l have a shortage of taste buds, but anyone who raves about food must have consumed a certain amount of drugs. :grin: Although l do have to admit that after a young life time of Ma's disgusting cwap, my ex is a better cook than anyone we know. A couple of times l almost cried because it was so much better than the cwap l grew up with.

@hasanhh Egg plant or Aubergine as I prefer to call it is an extremely versatile  vegetable. It's tastes delicious both in a raita(yogurt based side dish) and in different curries (Gosh, my mouth's watering)  

Anyone else here likes Achari baingan? 

Either I've never had eggplant prepared well, or I also don't like it - except once as eggplant parmesan in an Italian restaurant. I tried to cook it myself once, but I failed, and I am reluctant to try again because I really hate wasting food.