Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ruq

Ate/Eating/Will Eat?

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

l'm going to find something to eat in the refrigerator.

l's :eat:

31 Minutes Later: And l am stuffed with junk: bowl of old rice, cheese and crackers, mini candy bar. Which is much better than tagos, @Carlzone

I'll take the tacos and you take those leftovers and everybody's happy alhamdolillah! :)

6 hours ago, Carlzone said:

Yo hablo un poco. Tengo una amiga chilena. 

Me gusta tacos! :eat:

Translation:

You have (this) Rock Band. Dance (with) one friend in Chile.

I'm going (out) (to the) Tacos Locos (truck).

@notme  Tacos Locos what we called the "garbage truck" in the Army. Typical slang for food truck. Remember?

16 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Translation:

You have (this) Rock Band. Dance (with) one friend in Chile.

I'm going (out) (to the) Tacos Locos (truck).

@notme  Tacos Locos what we called the "garbage truck" in the Army. Typical slang for food truck. Remember?

You can never eat too much tacos!

I ate a piece of Belgian chocolate cake and a halal hot dogs :)

22 hours ago, hasanhh said:

I might have seen a food truck with that name, but never a garbage truck.

There were no food trucks in the army, but they did have a mini Burger King in the "beer tent" when I was on deployment for the operations in Bosnia. 

16 minutes ago, notme said:

I might have seen a food truck with that name, but never a garbage truck.

There were no food trucks in the army, but they did have a mini Burger King in the "beer tent" when I was on deployment for the operations in Bosnia. 

Have you been in the army, @notme?

14 minutes ago, Carlzone said:

Have you been in the army, @notme?

Yes, and most of the time the food was not nearly as bad as people like to say. The military chefs in the mess halls generally take pride their work. MREs are tolerable. (Except the omelette, but they got rid it.) T-rations, however, are inedible. 

Edited by notme

4 minutes ago, notme said:

T-rations, however, are inedible. 

T-rats --what are those?

We had A,B and C rats and then those 1lnt.Sur. per 10,000 MREs.

The chicken-a-la-king was literally sickening.

13 minutes ago, notme said:

Yes, and most of the time the food was not nearly as bad as people like to say. The military chefs in the mess halls generally take pride their work. MREs are tolerable. (Except the omelette, but they got rid it.) T-rations, however, are inedible. 

Wow, MashaAllah you're a tough chick. 

I would never dare to do such a thing. I can't even watch fake horror movies without covering my eyes. Let alone horror IRL.

I have never heard before that military food is supposed to be bad. 

Edited by Carlzone

6 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

T-rats --what are those?

We had A,B and C rats and then those 1lnt.Sur. per 10,000 MREs.

The chicken-a-la-king was literally sickening.

Tray rations. Platoon size heat and serve MREs. 

I think they must have improved by the early 90s, because the chicken a la king was a hot barter item when I was in boot camp, that and the tuna and noodles. They still had they weird grey-green omelette though. Later when I got called up on deployment they had changed it for something else, maybe beef franks, I'm not sure. 

One of the warrant officers in my unit got a case of vegetarian MREs. Those were actually quite good, at least the two I was given, and from what other people said. 

8 minutes ago, Carlzone said:

I have never heard before that military food is supposed to be bad. 

The WW2 vets always "joked" about 'worms in my potatoes'. Actually, larvae.

What happened was that the contractor for powdered potatoes had some problem in sealing the cans. So the flies got to them and laid their eggs. l can't remember the date, but as l kinda remember that problem was solved in 1944.

4 minutes ago, notme said:

I think they must have improved by the early 90s, because the chicken a la king was

The problem was the Army knew --yes, knew-- that the chicken-a-la-king was contaminated with salmonella. They admitted to it in 86 or 87 (?).

The first couple l had were very good, but then l got the bad ones over time. l got sick thrice and vomited. The third time was when we were running and l threw-up down the side of my turret, while trying to coordinate the platoon.

:ranting:"Blank damned Army"

l'II have to see T-rats.

5 hours ago, hasanhh said:

The problem was the Army knew --yes, knew-- that the chicken-a-la-king was contaminated with salmonella. They admitted to it in 86 or 87 (?).

The first couple l had were very good, but then l got the bad ones over time. l got sick thrice and vomited. The third time was when we were running and l threw-up down the side of my turret, while trying to coordinate the platoon.

:ranting:"Blank damned Army"

l'II have to see T-rats.

Have you been in the army too?

Wasn't sure where to post this. So settled for this forum. Had a picnic, King's College Cambridge, and afterwards on the lawn, they performed Shakespeare's 12th Night.

389306745_IMG_01602.thumb.jpg.99669baf969cb09072128f3b63c3e1b1.jpg

Daily Mail readers are going apoplectic about this, assuming that the friendly local recent immigrants from Pakistan are slaughtering animals in their backyard.

But looking closely, I see no signs of blood (the blue sheet appears to have none) or other parts of animals that you'd get after slaughter. I think it's more likely a case of Bro's who have cutting skills likely trying to save a bit of money by not having the butcher cut it all up for them.

4F6C2D2800000578-6100597-image-m-40_1535

1 minute ago, Haji 2003 said:

Daily Mail readers are going apoplectic about this, assuming that the friendly local recent immigrants from Pakistan are slaughtering animals in their backyard.

But looking closely, I see no signs of blood (the blue sheet appears to have none) or other parts of animals that you'd get after slaughter. I think it's more likely a case of Bro's who have cutting skills likely trying to save a bit of money by not having the butcher cut it all up for them.

4F6C2D2800000578-6100597-image-m-40_1535

Is it against the law to slaughter animals as a private person in England?

2 hours ago, Carlzone said:

Is it against the law to slaughter animals as a private person in England?

Based on the rules and regulations for everything else, I assume you need to have registered premises with safety inspectors etc. same as in all western countries.

One of the interesting aspects of the evolution of discrimination is this. Hunting with foxes, a past-time favoured amongst Britain's aristocracy was banned some years ago. However, they have found loopholes (not very good ones) and some hunts do carry on and there are no prosecutions. If Muslims were to break the law in the same way, they would not get away with it.

As @Zulfiqar1472 says this picture is not of slaughter. But it is a good example of how Islamophobia is whipped up. By the time any clarification is issued - people will have forgotten the specifics and will only remember that Muslims are turning Britain into an eastern country.

Edited by Haji 2003

I remember as a child watching some neighbors butcher a deer they had hunted. They had the whole dead animal hanging from a tree branch, but the meat laid out on a tarp like this. 

I'm not certain, but I think in the US, if it's for personal use you can slaughter your own livestock, but zoning usually prohibits keeping livestock in residential areas. 

Home Slaughter for Private Consumption in England 

https://www.businesscompanion.info/en/quick-guides/animals-and-agriculture/home-slaughter-for-private-consumption

"Can I slaughter the animals myself?"

"You may only do this if you have the necessary skills and training to ensure that you slaughter the animals humanely. Also you need to have the necessary equipment and be sure that you can use it competently.

It is an offence under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 to cause unnecessary suffering to any animal.

The Welfare of Animals at the Time of Killing Regulations 2015 and EU Regulation (EC) No 1099/2009 on the protection of animals at the time of killing create offences for failing to comply with provisions relating to restraining, stunning and killing. Unless you are using a firearm to kill pigs, sheep, goats, deer or cattle, you must restrain them. The Regulations also make it an offence to cause or permit any avoidable excitement, pain or suffering to any animal or bird during the slaughter or killing process.

Under these Regulations, religious slaughter is only permitted in approved slaughterhouses, as all on-farm kills must be stunned before bleeding."

*** Not sure how you get halal meat from these regulations - it says all on-farm animals must be stunned.  Halal slaughter is a direct cut.

Also, this goes against the idea of unnecessary suffering, as mentioned in the above guidelines, as stunning an animal has been shown to cause more pain than using a knife.

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

After making a meal, and you have leftovers, what do you do?  Do you make it into another meal or you just eat the leftovers?

I had fish from yesterday and I removed the meat and made it into another meal.

The Lebanese dish is called Siyyadieh.  Served with yogurt and salad.

image.jpeg.8b47ebe227486ff4172876a39b11d9b2.jpeg

pic from google

Ingredients

1. 2 kg sea bass, or any other large white fish such as red snapper or cod
  2. 3 cups long grain rice, rinsed and drained
  3. 3 large onions
  4. 3 tablespoons olive oil
  5. 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  6. 1/2 cup raw pine nuts
  7. 1/2 cups almonds
  8. 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  9. 1 teaspoon cumin
  10. 1 teaspoon caraway
  11. 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  12. 2 teaspoons salt

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

I had some blueberries before I had some white cheddar and garlic pasta for lunch.

Gonna have chicken and rice (zereshk polo) for dinner.

2 hours ago, Laayla said:

The Lebanese dish is called Siyyadieh.  Served with yogurt and salad.

That looks pretty nice. Next time we have leftover fish I'd like to try it. 

2 hours ago, Laayla said:

After making a meal, and you have leftovers, what do you do?  Do you make it into another meal or you just eat the leftovers?

It depends on how well liked it was the first time. If everyone enjoyed it, it returns as-is. If nobody cares for it, I try to modify it into something more appealing. Soups, stews, and casseroles hide a lot of cooking mistakes. Unfortunately I haven't mastered turning the soups, stews, or casseroles into anything new if they also are rejected. Fortunately for me, my husband is not a picky eater at all, so if I leave it in the fridge, he's likely to take it to work for his lunch even if he didn't really like it much. (Not if it's really awful, just if it's not as good as expected, but my food rarely comes out awful.)