Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ruq

Ate/Eating/Will Eat?

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, starlight said:

Cummon. It's okay to spend on a something nice once in a while.:sign_no:

@notme Enjoy Sis!

Tea and books are my luxuries. Some people go to the salon to pamper themselves, some buy new clothes or go to the gym or watch movies. I brew up a cup of tea and tune out the world with a book. 

I have probably about a dozen varieties right now, mostly small sample packs like the one in the photo. I do sometimes blend my own flavors though, from herbs and basic tea leaves. 

Now I'm feeling like taking an inventory... 

4 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

ls this the only verb 'women' know? Spend ?   :D

No. We also know frugal,economical and sensible and it is nice if men know words like generosity and indulgence. 

Going to eat: chicken curry with naans

12 hours ago, starlight said:

No. We also know frugal,economical and sensible and it is nice if men know words like generosity and indulgence. 

Going to eat: chicken curry with naans

"Frugality" is a spendthrift to us misers.

Why buy it when you can make it or do without?

9 hours ago, hasanhh said:

looks like your cat is heading towards her litter box.

She's heading toward her food bowl! My cat wants to participate in "Ate, Eating, Will Eat": ate: kibble, eating: kibble, will eat: kibble. Wishes she could eat: birds. 

6 hours ago, notme said:

She's heading toward her food bowl!

Sure she is.

:clap:

"Wishes she could eat: birds."

Not a good mouser, eh?

:D

ln a less belligerent tone, which is your favorite of those and do you add condiments? For me, some teas are apparently 'healthy' but they have little taste to me --not strong enough like coffee.

1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

In a less belligerent tone, which is your favorite of those and do you add condiments?

I sometimes add sugar or honey, but my default is just plain tea. 

My favorite black tea is alwazah. It's not too bitter but is strong. It's good with or without sweetener and it blends well with herbs. 

As for herbal teas, I always keep some peppermint on hand. I used to also keep lemon ginger, until I discovered ginger turmeric. I know it doesn't sound great, but it's absolutely perfect for an evening cup. 

I don't really care for plain green tea - too bitter. But I have some naturally flavored green sample pack blends that are tasty. 

Of those "extravagant" sample packs, I've only not liked two: pumpkin spice black, and coconut oolong. The pumpkin was too pumpkiney, but was helped by milk and sugar. The coconut is artificially flavored and just doesn't taste good.

2 hours ago, notme said:

My favorite black tea is alwazah. It's not too bitter but is strong. It's good with or without sweetener and it blends well with herbs. 

As for herbal teas, I always keep some peppermint on hand. I used to also keep lemon ginger, until I discovered ginger turmeric. I know it doesn't sound great, but it's absolutely perfect for an evening cup. 

I don't really care for plain green tea - too bitter. But I have some naturally flavored green sample pack blends that are tasty. 

Of those "extravagant" sample packs, I've only not liked two: pumpkin spice black, and coconut oolong. The pumpkin was too pumpkiney, but was helped by milk and sugar. The coconut is artificially flavored and just doesn't taste good.

Speaking of tea, my wife wanted to take tea from Pak to Sri Lanka and I made fun of her because Sri Lanka is the Tea Capital of the World.

Turns out she was right. Had nothing but horrible tea in SL.

4 hours ago, notme said:

l avoid sugar, honey and high-fructose-(from)corn-syrup/dextrose, but where do l find an al-wazah? ls it common in lsIamic stores?

l tried herbal teas in Asia. Some are medicinal and pack-a-punch. Good natural pain relievers.

Lemon-ginger l know yet never tried it in a tea but l'II see if there is ginger-turmeric or How do l mix the two?

l like green tea since it is the ends of the new leaves. l think l agree with the last two.

l am now going to get my tea and add some ginger or cinnamon, inshallah.

Result add 22minutes later:  l had lemon with ginseng on hand and added some ginger. Nice taste.

Edited by hasanhh
Result:

2 hours ago, hasanhh said:

where do l find an al-wazah? ls it common in lsIamic stores?

I've bought it at international markets, but my current box was ordered on Amazon. 

Will eat: junk food like chips with sour cream before dinner, because I need to put on a couple of pounds. 

For dinner, I’ll have Persian food! 

1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

How was this not obvious to anyone! I've known all my life that pizza is a better breakfast than cereal! 

I made these:

IMG_20180131_092946803.jpg

So buttery! After having this for breakfast, I'm going to have to eat only vegetables and lean meat for the rest of the day to make up for its fatty carbohydrate goodness! 

The menu says beef and vegetable stir fry for supper. 

^^^^^ Voted "SAD" because as you wrote, it is "So buttery".

As for the stir fry, we use to do this all the time at home. Stir around what was on our plates to see what it was supposed to be and what was in it.

MoM's "meals" Rated  So  :fever:ening that we'd almost :cry:

On 1/31/2018 at 4:18 PM, Halal Food Guru said:

OMG! love this thread! I just ate Halal Cart food with lots of white sauce from this new place in Orlando. So good. I have lots of food adventure and talk about them on my blog!

Strong username to post content ratio 

On 1/26/2018 at 1:11 AM, shiaman14 said:

Had this though in Sri Lanka:

Kebab.jpg.e0ceb4ff5df86b438e76f7945f1a65a3.jpg

mocktail.jpg.523f945c05906868be952d2d1e120bf8.jpg

Lemon-Mint with 7-Up mocktail - very refreshing

Assalam Alikum 

You found hallal at Sri Lanka?  Are there Shias in SL?

How are the prices there?

To stay on topic,

Tonight's dinner lentils and rice with carmelized onions.

_MG_7555.jpg

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah 

1 hour ago, Laayla said:

Assalam Alikum 

You found hallal at Sri Lanka?  Are there Shias in SL?

How are the prices there?

To stay on topic,

Tonight's dinner lentils and rice with carmelized onions.

_MG_7555.jpg

Salaam,

Halal food was surprisingly easy to find in SL. Meat is controlled by Muslims for the most part plus I used zabihah.com to verify. Food prices are very cheap.

Not sure about the shia population there. Beautiful  country though.

This place is in the bazaar in Isfahan (the one that runs between the square and the jumah mosque, in case there are others). It's been there for a long time so likely worth looking out for. Download the pic to your phone and show it to the locals - because the bazaar is huge. They just do one dish, it's a sort of shami kebab type thing (I'm not a foodie).

Still trying to get my brother in law to send me the pic of a really good place next door to the Shah Abdul Azeem shrine in Tehran, will post soon inshallah.

2017-12-30-PHOTO-00000148.thumb.jpg.01a801937348c164e712b2ade42f6bfb.jpgIMG_1986.JPG.c39ca2db52a9ad1a521ec40295bd04cd.JPG

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum 

Do you have dandelions growing around your yard?

Do you know Lebanese eat dandelions?  The dish is called hindba b zayt.

A delicious delicacy!

Made a sandwich and added, lemon, salt and olive oil.

From this

DSC_3768hindbeh-bunches-trapani-copy.jpg

Pic from Anissa

To this

img_4650-400x3321.jpg

Pic from taste of Beirut 

Bismehe Ta3ala 

Assalam Alikum 

Below's pic is stuffed with rice.  I did mine with coarse burgul, fresh spearment, green onions and minced meat. My aunt's delicious version.

stuffed-zucchini-in-yogurt-sauce-kousa-b

I also had a lot of stuffing left, because I never measure so I took out the grape leaves that were in the freezer and rolled up grape leaves.

Ohhhhhh, I just spent the entire morning & afternoon in the kitchen.

Next day I had a stiff neck.  

Four kilos of marrows and one pot of grape leaves.

I'm not cooking for the next three days. :)

Today, for something different, l had a salami and bologna with cheese on garlic bread.

For breakfast.

l was too sleepy to reach down for the milk-for-cereal at the bottom of the refrigerator.

l might have fallen over.

At my age that hurts.