Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ruq

Ate/Eating/Will Eat?

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

Did you lose weight during the Holy Month of Ramadan? I can lose 10 pounds that month and gain it back during the Eid and the next 3 days. :)

Only "10" in three days?  :D

Seriously, the last half of Ramadhan l'd do lftar with a date and a glass of milk and then not feel hungry. So l almost compelled myself to eat breakfast. One little meal per day. l was starting to worry.  Now l only snack off-and-on. l hope there is nothing wrong with my health.

Same today. Milk in the A.M. then stopped for a shawarma and fries and nothing else since.  :worried:

8 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

One little meal per day. l was starting to worry.  Now l only snack off-and-on. l hope there is nothing wrong with my health.

Same today. Milk in the A.M. then stopped for a shawarma and fries and nothing else since.  :worried:

Brother, can you see a nutritionist at the grocery store? Anyway they recommend that you eat a little bit of protein in every meal: meat, yogurt, eggs, almonds, beans, peanut butter, cottage cheese, etc. You haven't been eating your sauerkraut? :( 

30 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

they recommend that you eat a little bit of protein

Dude's knocked off a shawarma...oh, ok you were probably referring to his Ramadan diet.

Edited by Haji 2003

1 hour ago, Hameedeh said:

Brother, can you see a nutritionist at the grocery store? Anyway they recommend that you eat a little bit of protein in every meal: meat, yogurt, eggs, almonds, beans, peanut butter, cottage cheese, etc. You haven't been eating your sauerkraut? :( 

:missing:  Sniff ... Sniff ... l haven't had sauerkraut in months. lt started bothering me. Burning my stomach. l'm having pain swallowing occasionally.

l have never lacked for protein, ahamduallah. Even now l have part of a crate of halal hamburger patties and a few breakfast steaks left. Steak and Egg sandwiches are good.  :love:

l think all this is more my age than anything serious. My one grandfather would work outside most of the morning in his 80s and then have a tomatoe for lunch. Nothing else.

41 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

l'm having pain swallowing occasionally.

Brother, this is probably why you have been eating less. Please get a checkup. 

I am waiting for my kids to fall asleep so I can eat the last bar alone. :D:woot:

59763bd9a6eab_images(14).jpg.9c19a707f99254582b1466428bd1ee0d.jpg

Disclaimer: Before you go on to judge me for stealing my children's candy I would like to say that I had an absolutely crappy day and I haven't eaten a chocolate in months. Thank you. 

10 minutes ago, starlight said:

I am waiting for my kids to fall asleep so I can eat the last bar alone. :D:woot:

Disclaimer: Before you go on to judge me for stealing my children's candy I would like to say that I had an absolutely crappy day and I haven't eaten a chocolate in months. Thank you. 

Tell me what parent hasn't done this? 

I like to make myself feel better about it by saying there's not enough to share, so by eating it I'm preventing a conflict. 

Will Eat: I've got an Italian herb bread in my bread machine. I'm afraid I may have used too much garlic. It smells wonderful, but the rest of my family doesn't enjoy garlic as much as I do. Ah well, maybe I'll have to eat the whole loaf. So sad....

Edited by notme
Getting ahead of myself

2 hours ago, Marbles said:

eat.thumb.jpg.b9faa9549e32fb6278b50c019bbd137c.jpg

Well that sounds tropical. :worried:

How was it?

Ate: They liked my Italian herb bread, even my one person who thinks he doesn't like garlic liked it. It had a soft fluffy texture, and all the kids like that. 

We had it with tuna and fries. 

4 hours ago, starlight said:

But you are really "nutty" for coconuts. lt's not the chocolate. Correct?  :woot:

22 hours ago, notme said:

Well that sounds tropical. :worried:

How was it?

Ate: They liked my Italian herb bread, even my one person who thinks he doesn't like garlic liked it. It had a soft fluffy texture, and all the kids like that. 

We had it with tuna and fries. 

I fetched it off the web. It sounded quite fancy. 

I didn't eat it.

Thumbs up for garlic bread. I love it!

On 24/07/2017 at 7:32 PM, starlight said:

You could make it a learning opportunity:

2 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

You could make it a learning opportunity:

Hahahaha:hahaha: Thank you for sharing. This will be put into practice at the next occasion. I will make them learn fractions. 

On 25/07/2017 at 3:42 AM, hasanhh said:

But you are really "nutty" for coconuts. lt's not the chocolate. Correct?  :woot:

Right, I am nutty for all types of nuts. Being covered in chocolate makes it even better.

I've got an impending cooking failure in the oven. I was going for a sweet, fruity, nutty dough, but it ended up as batter. 

Which would be fine, except I don't think yeast works with batter.

I didn't think of adding baking powder until after it was in the oven, so it's too late to fix now. What was supposed to be banana pineapple pecan bread is probably going to be banana pineapple pecan brick. 

It'll taste good though, if we can bite it. 

4 hours ago, notme said:

... , so it's too late to fix now. What was supposed to be banana pineapple pecan bread is probably going to be banana pineapple pecan brick. 

It'll taste good though, if we can bite through it. 

Don't break a tooth. :D That will ruin your smile.

3 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Don't break a tooth. :D That will ruin your smile.

Much to my amazement, it actually came out acceptable. It wasn't fluffy - actually the texture was slightly reminescent of fruitcake - but it wasn't half bad.  

I didn't like how it looked: nuts in frozen jelly? 

But I loved how it tasted.

Turkish Delight is absolutely delightful, and this one is a special brand. It's hard to miss when you're walking around Istanbul. I regret I got only one small box. I should have got more. Inshallah next time.

IMG-20170731-WA0004.thumb.jpg.d13bce923104a773de68b75f9e016595.jpg

I finally got around to making "fried" chicken in my air fryer. This isn't my picture. My chicken is nothing but bones now. It was delicious and looked just like this: 

3299630.jpg

We had it with a fruit salad that is also all gone now. It looked like this one:

mixed-melon-salad-60359-1.jpeg

It would have had more different fruits, but my biggest mixing bowl was full to the top so I stopped with just the three melon types. 

On 8/7/2017 at 6:08 PM, notme said:

I finally got around to making "fried" chicken in my air fryer. This isn't my picture. My chicken is nothing but bones now. It was delicious and looked just like this: 

3299630.jpg

We had it with a fruit salad that is also all gone now. It looked like this one:

my wife and Sister-in-Law are all about the Air Fryer now.

past ramadan, I air fried samosa. Not as good but pretty good none the less.

51 minutes ago, shiaman14 said:

past ramadan, I air fried samosa. Not as good but pretty good none the less.

Sounds good. I might try that. The problem is I love South Asian food, but my family doesn't. 

I don't deep fry things, ever. 

On 8/8/2017 at 1:47 PM, notme said:

I don't deep fry things, ever.

Likewise there is a ban on deep frying in our house. Once in a blue moon when mum offers to make us something special that needs deep frying, all of us siblings go crazy. One whispers, "heart attack," another shouts from the far corner, "death to oil mills," and yet another says, "I'd rather drink a cocktail of mobil oil and grease," etc etc. 

And then one of us goes out on a weekend and looks for something "tasty" to eat but can't decide what. Credit card statement says that we end up driving through the takeaway lanes of fried chicken eateries and burger joints once every fortnight...

But we never deep dry anything at home, ever.

Most of what I cook is very simple because most of the more complicated foods aren't enough better to be worth the extra effort. A notable exception is homemade fig newtons.

First we harvest, wash, trim, and slice the figs.

Then I boil them in sugar syrup until soft.

Then I cool and drain the syrup and make fig paste in the food processor from the cooked figs.

Then I make the butter cake dough and chill it until it's stiff.

Next, I roll the dough into pasta-thin sheets, fill with paste, wrap into a tube, and bake.

Each batch makes about 24 cookies. It takes all day.

In my household of six hungry people, that will last only a few minutes.

Totally worth it. I'll put up pictures later in the week. I made a batch specially for my parents and have to run it over to them right now before it gets eaten. 

What's wrong with this bread? :woot:

20170726_112806.jpg.f18b843e3a81f26f2ce339788865ede2.jpg

Nothing. I asked the bakery guys to slice is lengthwise.

Later we filled it with a delicious chicken filling and covered it with mayo and cream cheese.

Here's the end product: a lovely savoury cake <3 

20170726_153348.jpg.c8ebad0c19802f34823d3f9a4d42a11f.jpg

Don't try i if you're a health fanatic. To eat happy or to eat healthy - that's a separate question!

One bread makes two cakes.

10 hours ago, notme said:

Most of what I cook is very simple because most of the more complicated foods aren't enough better to be worth the extra effort. A notable exception is homemade fig newtons.

First we harvest, wash, trim, and slice the figs.

Then I boil them in sugar syrup until soft.

Then I cool and drain the syrup and make fig paste ...

:cool: 

But why boil "in sugar"? Are not dates sweet enough?

16 hours ago, hasanhh said:

:cool: 

But why boil "in sugar"? Are not dates sweet enough?

Figs, not dates. I really just followed a set of directions that I found on the internet. 

I don't understand people who don't want to try unfamiliar foods. I mean, why in the world not?