Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ruq

Ate/Eating/Will Eat?

Rate this topic

i had yogourt of prune taste  , i put inside grain cereal that has blueberries and on top and added fruit salad : pieces of orange, banana, apple, peach & grapes , then I cut a slice of bread and cheese. 

This was my breakfast. 

Its a new recipe :)

Ate: An unladylike amount of cherry, chocolate mousse d16c4689.gif

20130401__20130403_C1_FE03FDCOOKBOOK~p5_

Nain!

The more chocolate you consume the more it is ladylike.

I shudder to think what would become of cocoa business if women did not help :P

For breakfast, oatmeal with applesauce.  For lunch, either leftover leftover casserole or leftover lentils and rice.  For supper I'm planning oven "fried" chicken, (American) biscuits with gravy, and a salad.  

I'm also working on some mustard greens chips in my food dehydrator because I bought a giant bunch of them and there's no way we'll be able to finish them before they wilt.  It's about 8 lbs of spicy fresh local greens!  

Notice the dehydrator is completely full, and I still have a green mountain!  (And please pardon the appearance of my very ancient toaster oven hiding behind.)

Edited by notme

^ What is a food dehydrator? What does it do?

It cooks very, very slowly over low heat.  As the name indicates, it dehydrates food.  You can turn fruits and vegetables into crispy chips or a dry form for storage, make fruit leather (like the commercially available "Fruit Rollups"),  and you can make meats into jerky.  After loading the foods onto the trays, it requires minimal attention, just rotate the trays every few hours, depending on the sensitivity of the foods being prepared.  

^ What is a food dehydrator? What does it do?

post-73242-0-32937800-1346511065.png

It cooks very, very slowly over low heat.  As the name indicates, it dehydrates food.  You can turn fruits and vegetables into crispy chips or a dry form for storage, make fruit leather (like the commercially available "Fruit Rollups"),  and you can make meats into jerky.  After loading the foods onto the trays, it requires minimal attention, just rotate the trays every few hours, depending on the sensitivity of the foods being prepared.  

*sigh* i'd love a dehydrator. I have tried using the oven on its lowest setting and had reasonable success drying apple and blueberries. I want to make fruit leather! this raw food site makes a lot of use of dehydrators: http://nouveauraw.com/

*sigh* i'd love a dehydrator. I have tried using the oven on its lowest setting and had reasonable success drying apple and blueberries. I want to make fruit leather! this raw food site makes a lot of use of dehydrators: http://nouveauraw.com/

They aren't very expensive, but they do require some space to store.  I wanted one for many years before I finally got a basic one for about $40.  I don't use it frequently, but when I use it, everyone in my family enjoys the results.  If I gardened I'd probably use it a lot more, but I've never been very good at keeping plants alive and healthy.

Our mustard greens chips are nearly gone already.  It's time to cook up the rest of the green mountain.  

^ I'd like an Excalibur one, although space is an issue atm. Do you make other kinds of vegetable chips? i like the beetroot ones you get in the Tyrells packets.

Wah! it's like discovering a new planet.

^ I'd like an Excalibur one, although space is an issue atm. Do you make other kinds of vegetable chips? i like the beetroot ones you get in the Tyrells packets.

I've made mostly greens chips of various types because they are so easy and just about can't fail and we all like them.  I've also dried fruits and berries of various types which we just snack on as-is, and some pumpkin cubes, celery, bell peppers, habaneros, and onions, which I bagged up for cooking stews and soups.  I vaguely remember drying some sliced potatoes, but I can't remember the results.  I think we ate them as snacks, though I actually had intended to store them for cooking.

I'd like to try drying some tomatoes, but we always eat them all up fresh, so it almost seems a waste to dehydrate them.  Maybe if I see them on sale for an outstanding price I'll buy up a bushel and then we'll have dried tomatoes any time we want them.  What I thought was going to be a farmer's market was actually an artisan's market, so I'm still trying to locate my nearest good farmer's market, though I do know now where I need to go to buy specialty soaps, baked goods, sauces, and art items. 

Today Ate/Eating/Will Eat:

Ate Breakfast:  Coffee w/milk, (American) biscuit with gravy.  (Photo shows sausage gravy.  My gravy is vegetarian but looks similar.)

SausageGravyBiscuit2.jpg

Eating Lunch (actually  just finished):  leftover lentils and rice and some tasty crispy mustard greens chips.

mujadarrah.jpg

10162648536_347e207eb4_o.jpg?resize=620%

Will Eat:  Probably tonight is a good night for a leftovers buffet.  The fridge is getting full and my order of halal meat should arrive today and need freezer space.  We've got leftover leftovers casserole, lentils and rice, just a little bit of plain rice, bean enchiladas, a bagged salad, a cucumber, a tomato, gravy (no more biscuits though), and a few bites of chicken.  In the freezer we have two jars of cooked beans and a container of hummus.

For breakfast, oatmeal with applesauce.  For lunch, either leftover leftover casserole or leftover lentils and rice.  For supper I'm planning oven "fried" chicken, (American) biscuits with gravy, and a salad.  

I'm also working on some mustard greens chips in my food dehydrator because I bought a giant bunch of them and there's no way we'll be able to finish them before they wilt.  It's about 8 lbs of spicy fresh local greens!  

attachicon.gifIMG_0257.2014-11-13_174640.JPG

Notice the dehydrator is completely full, and I still have a green mountain!  (And please pardon the appearance of my very ancient toaster oven hiding behind.)

nice kitchen :rolleyes:

we should add a new topic : post pics of your kitchen , just so we admire different kitchens