Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ruq

Ate/Eating/Will Eat?

Rate this topic

23 hours ago, notme said:

I make nihari - and none of my people will eat it! I rarely make it anymore. 

Amazing. How do you eat it? Like a soup with a spoon? Or with proper rotis?

9 minutes ago, Marbles said:

It varies. With my very unique homemade bread is good, or over rice, but in a bowl like soup will work in a pinch.

As for "proper rotis", I haven't mastered those yet. My bread is most similar to European bread but not exactly. I can manage flaky, buttery parathas some of the time, but prefer my nihari with something more absorbent. American store-bought bread is mushy and bland, so never with that. 

5 minutes ago, Pearl178 said:

Do they find it too spicy? 

One finds it too soupy, one too meaty (he doesn't eat much meat), and three find it too spicy. Of the three who say it's too spicy, one also doesn't like much meat. 

(Yes, they're strange!)

2 minutes ago, notme said:

It varies. With my very unique homemade bread is good, or over rice, but in a bowl like soup will work in a pinch.

As for "proper rotis", I haven't mastered those yet. My bread is most similar to European bread but not exactly. I can manage flaky, buttery parathas some of the time, but prefer my nihari with something more absorbent. American store-bought bread is mushy and bland, so never with that. 

Best eat with a naan if you prefer absorbent bread, as I do. Parathas are great but not with nihari, or haleem, or daal. That would be a bad combo.

What is a European bread? :einstein:

16 minutes ago, Marbles said:

With roti of course! I like the soup to be thick, yesterday it was runny which didn't suit me.

Edited by Pearl178

Just now, Pearl178 said:

With of course! I like the soup to be thick, yesterday it was runny which didn't suit me.

You got awesome taste buds besides having awesome taste in music!,

I also like my nihari thickish and spicy. Though it's said that traditional cooks preferred it more soupy than we get these days. But I reckon I'm not a huge purist when it comes to the consistency of my nihari (or haleem or daal or curries). I mean, something should stick to the roti right? It's not like we're eating a watery thai soup!

1 minute ago, Marbles said:

You got awesome taste buds besides having awesome taste in music!,

I also like my nihari thickish and spicy. Though it's said that traditional cooks preferred it more soupy than we get these days. But I reckon I'm not a huge purist when it comes to the consistency of my nihari (or haleem or daal or curries). I mean, something should stick to the roti right? It's not like we're eating a watery thai soup!

Exactly. I ended up having to ditch the roti by the end of it and had to just drink it with a spoon (lame). Haleem on the other hand.... Yummmm! Meat though, not chicken. 

8 minutes ago, Marbles said:

What is a European bread? :einstein:

I can buy naan, but it's just OK not great, and expensive. I haven't tried making it yet. 

European breads like French, Italian, Hungarian, you know, tender on the inside, crispy crusty on the outside. My homemade bread isn't exactly like any one nationality's bread, but it's crusty on the outside, tender on the inside, and if I bake a 2 lb loaf it's gone in a day. I have a bread machine which kneads for me, but I improvise each loaf, never precisely the same twice, and they like it baked in the oven not the machine. 

I'm going to start a loaf now. :)

Edited by notme

5 minutes ago, Pearl178 said:

Haleem on the other hand.... Yummmm! Meat though, not chicken. 

Absolutely! Haleem tastes best when it's cooked in beef. It used to be cooked by default in beef when I was a kid. Chicken haleem is a new-age variant to please a social class for whom eating chicken is a social status and being seen eating beef a slur.

We should get together for a big desi dinner. Bring your friend.

I don't know what you'd call it but: 

2 TBS my homemade spiced fig jam 

1 Golden Delicious apple 

1 c nonfat plain yogurt 

And just a little water to thin

Blend it all together until smooth. It's enough for two people to happily share. I don't have a name for it (spiced fig jam apple yogurt smoothie?), but it was delicious. 

19 minutes ago, notme said:

Food cooked under a grave sounds interesting. Disturbing, but interesting.

Baloch people cook a version of sajji. Ater gutting and covering it in spices, they put a whole goat in a specially prepared pit. Then they light and arrange lumps of coals inside and over the pit and let it smolder until the meat is fully cooked. The pit works like a clay oven; and the meat is absolutely delicious. Goat's belly is filled with steamed rice until it takes the flavour.

This sounds as closest to cooking under a grave as I've seen.

@Pearl178 that was a fortutius typo as it made me recall that rarity known as Khada Kebab.

IMG_5484.jpg

@ErikCartman what kind of fritter is this? 

I finished up the rest of the rice pudding.

I need something easy and quick for tonight's supper. My daughter has gymnastics class. I was planning macaroni and cheese, but I'm out of macaroni. Suggestions? 

I have all the usual American vegetables, rice, ground beef, chicken, and some turkey sausages. 

Just now, ErikCartman said:

Don't you like prawns? :/

Shrimp fritters! I thought so. Never tried it, but I would. Looks quite similar to fried shrimp but batterier. 

Are prawns exactly shrimp or is there some difference I don't know about? 

1 minute ago, Marbles said:

^ This fruit chaat looks nice!

My lunch at a restaurant. Chicken chilli with veg fried rice...

nom nom nom. :eat:

oh wow!! where heaven on earth it is located...? Saltn?

Edited by ErikCartman

2 minutes ago, Marbles said:

That was Salt 'n Pepper. Yep, we also have one over here.

haha I already guessed it from their knives ;) yeah at Lahore they don't have 'green' seats ... it's orange/red seats here, so I was wondering what city it would be!! nice.

lol! my maternal uncle and only 6 years older than me works in Fatima Fert.. i guess I should pay a visit to sadiqabad soon... he is the only Shia fighting all the retards there :D

Edited by ErikCartman