Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Ate/Eating/Will Eat?

Rate this topic

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^ seems like an unlucky day for shichat sisters :D Ate : Halwa puri for breakfast  Halwa is a pudding made from semolina and is eaten with Puri (bread made from flour) Mom made the Halwa and it was th

For tea , cupcakes that my daughter baked <3

Hey guys, it's been quite some time since I've logged on to shiachat. But as always I come back once in a while to check up on everyone :P So in my absence I've taken plenty of food pics (being an ins

Posted Images

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

My tummy is not racist!

Here is a pic of it:

IMG_20161225_130738_zpsmdaetslc.jpg

Is it not salad olviye? (Or however you spell it, originally invented by a chef called Olivier)

Great dish, my favourite Iranian starter

* You are supposed to eat it with a fresh warm Iranian naan! wth are you thinking!!

** Don't be the guy who goes to an Italian restaurant and asks for ketchup to on his pasta.

Edited by Ali_Hussain
  • Advanced Member
44 minutes ago, Ali_Hussain said:

Is it not salad olviye? (Or however you spell it, originally invented by a chef called Olivier)

Great dish, my favourite Iranian starter

* You are supposed to eat it with a fresh warm Iranian naan! wth are you thinking!!

** Don't be the guy who goes to an Italian restaurant and asks for ketchup to on his pasta.

Yes its salad oliviye and it is delicious! Not sure if its originally Iranian though or if Iranian took it and put their spin to it which made it much better, thus why you know it as an Iranian dish, might be Russian originally.

Edited by IbnSina
  • Forum Administrators
10 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

Ive just had a dish that has the texture of hummus, but is made from chicken, potato, gherkins n mayonnaise. 

Search the Internet for Salad Olivieh or Salad-e Olovieh. Every family in Iran has their own recipe, adding chopped vegetables they like, but the dish is 'Chicken Salad' made with chopped boiled potatoes, chopped pickles, (other chopped vegetables), combined together with mayonnaise, with olives for garnish. Hence the name Olive in the title of the dish. Some add chopped boiled egg for extra protein.

@Ali_Hussain

@IbnSina

@hameedeh

Thank you so much guys :) I have been googling and you are exactly right. 10 points to griffindor! (and 5 to slytherin because sis hameedah is an admin)

I really enjoyed it. i was working on something with some iranian brothers and one of their wives made lunch for us. the only iranian cuisine i know is white rice & kabob so it was a real eye opener for me!

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, DigitalUmmah said:

the only iranian cuisine i know is white rice & kabob so it was a real eye opener for me!

Whaaaat! Theres a lot of iranian dishes to try, here are some of the most famous ones:

Ghormeh+Sabzi-Turmeric+and+Saffron.jpg

Zereshk_Polo_Ba_Morgh.jpg

Persian_Food_Sabzi-Polo_Mahi_Iranian_Cui

fesenjan-first.jpg

201551411495470a.jpg

Just now, E.L King said:

Me and @repenter have argued about this a lot. He seems to underrate Lebanese food... 

Why you keep saying food? Lebanese edibles are not food, they are appetizers! For years I went out of Lebanese restaurants thinking the restaurants suck because they never served me my food. Little did i know I had appetizer, dinner and dessert. 

• Advanced Member
5 minutes ago, repenter said:

Why you keep saying food? Lebanese edibles are not food, they are appetizers! For years I went out of Lebanese restaurants thinking the restaurants suck because they never served me my food. Little did i know I had appetizer, dinner and dessert. 

Yes, food. I get full after eating Lebanese food for sure. Easily. 

3 minutes ago, E.L King said:

You know Lebanese food is filled with meats? You don't get full after eating a lot of kebab?

I think you're only posting memes now because I am proving you wrong :)

Lebanese kabab,.,,,,,ghahahahsfjkahgsfdjkahahahahaha

Only thing you proved is that you probably aren't a big eater if Lebanese "food" fills you up. 

4 minutes ago, E.L King said:

You refuted yourself. 

"Shawarma" 

Learn to read ;) Shawarma, and Kebab are both not from Lebanon, they just copied someone else, made it worse. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawarma

Tell me king, what does it feel like shooting in the dark?

• Advanced Member
Just now, repenter said:

Learn to read ;) Shawarma, and Kebab are both not from Lebanon, they just copied someone else, made it worse. 

The point is not that they made it, it has become part of their cuisine!!!

:)

I will come back with more refutations later, using proof. You will see.

• Veteran Member

kebab

(North American kabob)

Pronunciation: /kəˈbɑːb//kɪˈbab/

noun

• A dish of pieces of meat, fish, or vegetables roasted or grilled on a skewer or spit

Origin

Late 17th century: from Arabic kabāb, partly via Urdu, Persian, and Turkish.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/kebab

• Moderators

@IbnSina @hameedeh 

Okay, so I got all excited about salad olivieh and decided to google the recipe, turns out it's the same thing which we call Russian salad in Pakistan.... err.. you sure it's an iranian dish?

• Veteran Member
35 minutes ago, starlight said:

@IbnSina @hameedeh 

Okay, so I got all excited about salad olivieh and decided to google the recipe, turns out it's the same thing which we call Russian salad in Pakistan.... err.. you sure it's an iranian dish?

The original version of the salad was invented in the 1860s by a cook of Belgian origin,[1]Lucien Olivier, the chef of the Hermitage, one of Moscow's most celebrated restaurants. Olivier's salad quickly became immensely popular with Hermitage regulars, and became the restaurant's signature dish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_salad

There are probably regional variations in the recipe.

Edited by Ali_Hussain
  • Forum Administrators

'Chicken Salad' is universal. A Christian relative of mine buys halal chicken when my family is invited. She makes it her own style, using sliced green grapes instead of chopped pickles. I tell her it tastes great. It's always nice to have a halal meat option for dinner. :D