Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Abstaining From Music... How Do You Do It?

Rate this topic

(salam)

The purpose of this topic is quite self-explanatory, i.e. I'm looking for advice as to how I can completely let go of music. There was a time when I had stopped listening to it completely.

But for quite some time, I've been having what one may call "guilty pleasures". Sometimes, even knowing that it is wrong, I listen to some light music from time to time. Maybe you could attribute it to the fact that music is a normal thing in my house and my ears are not yet desensitized to it such that I can ignore it completely.

Is there any particular method that you guys apply here? All advice appreciated, and those who come in here with the sole purpose to try and disprove the absolute fact that at least 95% (if not all) music out there is haraam, I will ignore you, and perhaps so will the others who share my views.

salam

my house is usually filled with music also well it used to be , when i first stopped listening to music it was hard because my siblings would listen to music out loud and it was really distracting buuuttt i overcome it by ; trying my hardest to ignore it, moving to a different part of the house were i couldnt hear it as loud or at all, preoccupy myself with something els to distract myself from it and also put on your latmiyat or koran or dua with ear phones and you wont be able to hear it at all or even, if you want to annoy the person listening to music put it on out loud and make him feel bad for listening to music when koran is being played loll and also when they play it out loud tell them to put their earphones in if they want to listen to music ...

i personally found the last suggestion the best one just keep bugging them to listen with earphones in and you wont have that problem any more my house is now music free they all listen with earphones none of them would dare listen out loud because they know i will annoy them until they put earphones in so yeh keep annoying them loll

• Veteran Member

I think the first step is to find a substitute. It's like quitting cigarettes with those nicatine patches.

A lot of people use latmiyahs as substitutes; which I don't particularly like because a lot of latmiyahs nowadays have too much beatboxing and hard rock characteristics. and because I feel this devalues the purpose of a latmiyah which is to bring remembrance of ahlul bayt.

But, a good substitute, in my opinion, is classical music. It calms the heart and stimulates the brain.

• Advanced Member

salam

my house is usually filled with music also well it used to be , when i first stopped listening to music it was hard because my siblings would listen to music out loud and it was really distracting buuuttt i overcome it by ; trying my hardest to ignore it, moving to a different part of the house were i couldnt hear it as loud or at all, preoccupy myself with something els to distract myself from it and also put on your latmiyat or koran or dua with ear phones and you wont be able to hear it at all or even, if you want to annoy the person listening to music put it on out loud and make him feel bad for listening to music when koran is being played loll and also when they play it out loud tell them to put their earphones in if they want to listen to music ...

Wa alikum alsalam,

روي عن أبي عبد الله (ع): "بيت الغناء لا تُؤمن فيه الفجيعة، ولا تُجاب فيه الدعوة، ولا يدخله الملَك"(2

روي عن أبي عبدالله (ع) قال: لا تدخل الملائكة بيتاً فيه خمر أو دف أو طنبور أو نرد، ولا يُستجاب دعاؤهم، وتُرفع عنهم البركة.

I hope that you read Arabic, so you can read these hadiths.

I advise you to tell your siblings about those hadiths too.

Edited by Zahra1

• Advanced Member

salaam bro,

The way I overcame this desire was to basically learn about the incidents that took place in shaam. As you may know about a story of a visitor named Noman who came to Hazrat Imam Zain-ul-abideen (A.S) and asked him which was the most difficult time he had to face and the Imam(a.s.) cried for a long time and three times said "AS-SHAAM AS-SHAAM AS-SHAAM" You know what they did in ShAAM? They played MUSIC to celebrate while the children of Rasoolulah (sawa) were being humiliated. Every time I hear music like in a mall or something, I think of what happened in Shaam, and start reciting slawaat. Next time you want to hear music just remember what happened in shaam and inshALLAH you will restrain you're self. GOOD luck bro

salamz

Wa alikum alsalam,

روي عن أبي عبد الله (ع): "بيت الغناء لا تُؤمن فيه الفجيعة، ولا تُجاب فيه الدعوة، ولا يدخله الملَك"(2

روي عن أبي عبدالله (ع) قال: لا تدخل الملائكة بيتاً فيه خمر أو دف أو طنبور أو نرد، ولا يُستجاب دعاؤهم، وتُرفع عنهم البركة.

I hope that you read Arabic, so you can read these hadiths.

I advise you to tell your siblings about those hadiths too.

i always tell them about stuff like this but they dont listen theres also a hadith i herd in a lecture once i dont have reference to it but it was that listening to music is like slapping imam ali a.s across the face because it is something that has been prohibited yet the believers still listen to it....

but might i just add i asked about those hadiths a while ago because i read them also and i thought well i dont listen to music and so how is it fair if my duas arnt answered because of the other people in my house... anyway i asked and the reply was it doesnt apply for people that dont listen to music and disassociate themselves from the music being played in the house so my duas are being herd and answered by Allah swt inshallah because i dont listen to music myself.....

salaam bro,

The way I overcame this desire was to basically learn about the incidents that took place in shaam. As you may know about a story of a visitor named Noman who came to Hazrat Imam Zain-ul-abideen (A.S) and asked him which was the most difficult time he had to face and the Imam(a.s.) cried for a long time and three times said "AS-SHAAM AS-SHAAM AS-SHAAM" You know what they did in ShAAM? They played MUSIC to celebrate while the children of Rasoolulah (sawa) were being humiliated. Every time I hear music like in a mall or something, I think of what happened in Shaam, and start reciting slawaat. Next time you want to hear music just remember what happened in shaam and inshALLAH you will restrain you're self. GOOD luck bro

salamz

thats great advise !!!

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

I feel that its a transition and it isn't something you can do straight away, like baradar mentioned.

What I did is I substituted Music with Acapella, basically rapping but without a beat.

After a short while I substituted that for spoken word poetry where the voice was beautified.

Then I substituted that and started listening and reciting the Qur'an.

Then I stopped doing that and ended up just listening to nasheeds and latmiya.

(wasalam)

Edited by Shia_Debater

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

salam brother, nothing beats Quran or religious lectures.

and read read read, fill your time with reading

and then, remember this aya:

لَن تَنَالُوا الْبِرَّ حَتَّىٰ تُنفِقُوا مِمَّا تُحِبُّونَ ۚ وَمَا تُنفِقُوا مِن شَيْءٍ فَإِنَّ اللَّـهَ بِهِ عَلِيمٌ

Ye will not attain unto piety until ye spend of that which ye love. And whatsoever ye spend, Allah is Aware thereof.[3:92]

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

(salam)

The purpose of this topic is quite self-explanatory, i.e. I'm looking for advice as to how I can completely let go of music. There was a time when I had stopped listening to it completely.

But for quite some time, I've been having what one may call "guilty pleasures". Sometimes, even knowing that it is wrong, I listen to some light music from time to time. Maybe you could attribute it to the fact that music is a normal thing in my house and my ears are not yet desensitized to it such that I can ignore it completely.

Is there any particular method that you guys apply here? All advice appreciated, and those who come in here with the sole purpose to try and disprove the absolute fact that at least 95% (if not all) music out there is haraam, I will ignore you, and perhaps so will the others who share my views.

Salaam wa alaykum

Brother, I was in the same situation as you. But I am a recent convert so maybe a little different unless you are a convert yourself :P

But when I found out that music was haram, I was like -_- are you kidding? I really loved listening to music and I would listen to it on the way to school amd whenever i could, but when I became a Muslim, I stopped.. Simply gave it up. But then after a month or so my friend gave me an album and I listened to it and thought: "This isn't bad music that has bad themes ect.."

So I gave it a listen and I started to listen more and more and more....

Then! Something scary happened. I was listening to music and all of a sudden I had this bad feeling inside my heart. It was weird. I realised that ever since I began to listen to music it absolutely destroyed my consciousness of Allah (swt) :( this made me feel so horrible inside... I'm not sure why, but it just came on me and I realised that I have almost forgotten about Allah... Lol not exactly but besides my prayers... I would never even notice Allah and as soon as I had this thought I ripped the earphones out of my ears and I knew that it was because of the music.

So after this I stopped because of what happened and I began to feel a lot better, I had Iman again and I gained my consciousness of Allah back. Since then I have used other alternatives such as nasheeds and also listening to the Quran.

I suggest this guy he is amazing: http://alafasy.tripod.com/. (you can download any Surah of the Qur'an you want for free from this guy :D )

But there is a brother at my Masjid, he is only 17 like me but he is a hafiz and omg he has the most beautiful voice when he recites Quran... When I first came to the Masjid after converting to Islam the first couple of weeks after salah when he would recite some Quran I seriously thought that we had speakers in the Masjid and it was a recording lol. When I first heard him say the Adhan it was the most beautiful thing I have ever heard.

That's the power of the Quran. Even my Christian friend who I bring to the Masjid loves listening to the Quran in Arabic... He is researching Islam and he has kind of already made up his mind Alhamdulilah and inshAllah he will say shahadah real soon.

It has an amazing effect on people but my bro at the Masjid I wish I could record him reciting Quran so I could listen to it :P but I didn't want to ask him in case it might be weird...

It would go like this:

"Salaam wa alaykum brother, uhm... I was wondering.. Hmm.. Ah... If.. I could record you reciting Qur'an?" :/ haha

But he is teaching me how to read Quran so inshallah I will be able to read the Qur'an that was revealed to Rasulallah (PBUH &HF) :D

Also because I am a Muslim and the rest of my family that I still live with are non-Muslims they always play music... My two younger brothers play drums and guitar all the time in my house so I can't really avoid that... But you can do your part by stopping yourself from listening to music by yourself.

But bro my point is I was able to just give up music like that... I don't know how brother but it's because I was being separated from Allah because of it and that is the main reason why I was able to stop all together. But that's just a personal experience that ive had which caused me realise that music is haram for a reason because it breakdowns your consciousness of Allah, and you will feel really bad inside and feel separated from Allah like I did and trust me it didn't feel good.

So you should try and just swap your music for Quran recitations and nasheeds and inshAllah that could be enough. I'm sorry I couldn't give you a proper method besides what I did, from a personal experience.

Good luck brother :)

Wassalaam

Lol btw I like your signature, ive seen it previously from one of your comments and had quite a laugh. But very true.

Well, when I first stopped Music it took about a month or so 'till I completely stopped.

I first deleted all the songs I didn't like off the computer, and kept my favorite singer. Then little by little, for example, in the car, I wouldn't put music, and stuff..I would put Anashid and Latmiyat, 'till in the end I stopped listening to Music.

And honestly, you can think about it in another way. What does Music mean to you? You are a follower of Ahlul Bayt, you think about the future, while Music puts you in the present, and infiltrates your mind with immoral things.

I believe these days, Music should be more haram than alcohol is.

• Advanced Member

Although you're my nemesis, I'll give you advice.

I'm sure you've read the narrations, so I don't need to mention them.

Simply ask yourself - is it worth it? I was a big music-listener but I changed after I went ziyarat. Whilst Yazid (la) was listening to the musicians, Imam Hussain (as) was doing sujood and moments from being beheaded. This woke me up.

Then our group leader (Sayed Ammar Nakshawani) was talking to us about music and it's effect, and he said - 'ask yourself how many music lyrics you know and compare that how many Quran verses you know.'

I then realised I had to change this habit.

Edited by Replicant

Then our group leader (Sayed Ammar Nakshawani) was talking to us about music and it's effect, and he said - 'ask yourself how many music lyrics you know and compare that how many Quran verses you know.'

Is it wrong that I know alot of the Quran by heart and music lyrics at the same time?

This may sound rather perturbing but, just like the Qur'an, I find a lot of meaning and depth within all sorts of music lyrics, vulgar or not.

So it's come to a stage now where I listen to Qur'an, latmiyah and music.

Simply ask yourself - is it worth it? I was a big music-listener but I changed after I went ziyarat. Whilst Yazid (la) was listening to the musicians, Imam Hussain (as) was doing sujood and moments from being beheaded. This woke me up.

Unfortunately, I do not have the means to travel to Iraq. I really wish I did, as I hear that people's entire lives change when the Shrine of Imam Hussain (as) enters their sights.

I really have so many concerns. For example, my mom, while driving, turns on music (BIG SIGH), and my house is littered with cousins who listen to those retarded Indian songs. It really burns me out...

• Advanced Member

I was brought up in a traditional household without music. So, music wasn’t something that I was used too. However, I know how tempting playing music can be. I don’t have good workable solution because I think music is something that you can’t give up unless you were brought up properly since day 1.

i must confess that i don't like most of the people who recite quran .. i think they focus too much on melody and added tashkeel vs meaning .. like for instance .. if i was to tell you .. hey shia debater brother .. how are you (with a smooth nice voice and a smile) .. versus HHEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYY SHHIIIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DE - BA -TERRRRRRRRRR (voice goes up and down) ,, 3 second break ... HOW AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAREEEEEEEEE YOUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuu ... (5 second break)

and wether the guy is quoting Allah swt .. a prophet .. saying a story .. no matter what the content or who is being quoted are what is being said .. i prefer it more like we read to children somehow .. maybe i am rebellious and stupid .. sorry may Allah forgive me

• Advanced Member

Is it wrong that I know alot of the Quran by heart and music lyrics at the same time?

This may sound rather perturbing but, just like the Qur'an, I find a lot of meaning and depth within all sorts of music lyrics, vulgar or not.

So it's come to a stage now where I listen to Qur'an, latmiyah and music.

Yes, that is wrong.

Music + Quran do not go together. You should know the Quran and leave music (I advise myself first).

You can't be efficient in knowing Quran whilst you listen to music, that is such a contradiction. You might as well stamp on the Quran with your foot because it's just as disrespectful.

The narrations say that there are some people who read the Quran whilst the Quran is cursing them. This is the reason why.

The Quran, with the tafseer of the Ahlulbayt (as), forbids ghina but I'm sure you'll find the narrations 'illogical' and 'irrational'.

Yes, that is wrong.

Music + Quran do not go together. You should know the Quran and leave music (I advise myself first).

You can't be efficient in knowing Quran whilst you listen to music, that is such a contradiction. You might as well stamp on the Quran with your foot because it's just as disrespectful.

The narrations say that there are some people who read the Quran whilst the Quran is cursing them. This is the reason why.

The Quran, with the tafseer of the Ahlulbayt (as), forbids ghina but I'm sure you'll find the narrations 'illogical' and 'irrational'.

Haha, bro, I accept most of the narrations but it just doesn't expound on what type of music counts as unlawful. Though, I am listening to all sorts of music so that's not good. I need to go for Ziyarah, I'm sure it'll be therapeutic for my soul and fix me.

• Advanced Member

Haha, bro, I accept most of the narrations but it just doesn't expound on what type of music counts as unlawful. Though, I am listening to all sorts of music so that's not good. I need to go for Ziyarah, I'm sure it'll be therapeutic for my soul and fix me.

I, myself, question sometimes how music with 'positive lyrics' (tracks like Changes, We Are The World or Where Is The Love - that kind) can be haraam.

But then I just think it's not worth it.

You don't need ziyarah to make you better, you just need a commitment to say no.

Now that I've left that music I used to listen to, my concentration in prayer is better and I just feel 'cleaner' (I cannot explain it properly, that's the best way I can put it).

Frankly, when I hear such music in shops, cars or on the streets, I just simply don't like it anymore. I'm even repelled by it sometimes.

I used to be a HUGE hip-hop fan and of course it is sometimes tempting to listen to the new album of an artist you used to love, but you just gotta fight it.

Now that I've left that music I used to listen to, my concentration in prayer is better and I just feel 'cleaner' (I cannot explain it properly, that's the best way I can put it).

Frankly, when I hear such music in shops, cars or on the streets, I just simply don't like it anymore. I'm even repelled by it sometimes.

I used to be a HUGE hip-hop fan and of course it is sometimes tempting to listen to the new album of an artist you used to love, but you just gotta fight it.

Yes, I can relate to that. Around 2 years ago I totally stopped listening to music and I felt more focused and felt that there were much important things in life to indulge in, than wasting time downloading and pumping mindless beats through my ears. At this point I loathed music and felt sorry for those who listened to it. Once you stop listening to music, you have a clearer perception of everything.

I can't remember how I got back into it, it just happened. The only time I listen to music is when I'm travelling or doing household chores, and I've noticed that music doesn't really act as an impediment to any aspect of my life, it just acts as a distraction to boredom and gets my blood pumping to start work or travel. It's like a shot of adrenaline to keep your body active.

• Advanced Member

Music: An Addictive Drug by Sayed Mahdi Modaressi

I received a question from a woman a while ago about Music. I thought it was worth sharing the answer on this blog:

Question:

Salam,

I am addicted to music because listening to music makes me happy and takes my mind off problems in my life. I want to stop listening to music and want to concentrate on my faith and education; I want to spend my time reciting the Quran and reading books instead. What advice would you give me?

Answer:

Music may make you “happy” and “take your mind off your problems” in the short run. I agree. In fact, if a short term euphoric sensation is what you’re looking for, there are many more options including drugs, alcohol, and gambling! People drink bitter spirits and tolerate the nasty acidic burn of alcohol not for the taste (it is, after all, a poison) but for their intoxicating quality in order to distract them from the daily toils and personal problems. In his book “Civilization and its Discontents” Sigmund Freud actually asserts that the best means of subduing unhappiness and the most effective style of human adaptation used to secure pleasure from the world while also trying to avoid or limit suffering, is the consumption of alcohol! Surely as Muslims, indeed as rational human beings, we can’t take these options seriously given the devastating side-effects they possess.

Music is also a drug. An odorless, colorless, and thanks to the internet, largely free drug which makes you feel good (unless you’re a fan of Marylin Manson), and then leaves you with nothing but more depression and a sense of emptiness. As soon as you’re out of the concert hall, or you drop that iPod, you go back to the bitter reality that is your life and, because you can’t deal with that, you go back to music for comfort and distraction. While you’re in your little world consumed by music, Apple celebrates the 10 billionth song downloaded from iTunes at 99 cents a pop. While we feed our addiction, Steve Jobs is laughing all the way to the bank!.

So what is the first side effect of this drug; addiction. Because it creates a false euphoria, you keep going back for another fix. It completely takes over your mind and affects your judgment. The British neurologist Oliver Sacks says: “music can involve many different parts of the brain, special parts for the response to pitch, and to frequency, and to timbre, and to rhythm, and to melodic contour, and to harmonic and everything else” thus, completely occuping the brain. That is why you’ll notice that those addicted to music will often also refuse Hijab. They easily socialize with people of the opposite sex and may engage in illicit relationships.

Picture this: a pious, dignified, veiled Muslim woman jumping up and down with the tunes of a pop music concert while screaming her lungs out singing the lyrics. What’s wrong with this picture? It just doesn’t happen! You simply cannot mix chastity and piety with music, not even conceptually as you see from this illustration. This is why Islam closes the door shut to the range of possible detrimental pandemics by banning music (with very limited exceptions).

The Holy Prophet outlines this part of his mission in the following narration:

‎الله عز وجل بعثني رحمة وهدى للعالمين وأمرني أن أمحق المعازف والخمور والأوثان التي كانت تعبد في الجاهلية

The Prophet says: “Allah the exalted sent me as a mercy to the worlds and commanded me to obliterate musical instruments as well as intoxicating drinks and idols that were worshiped in the era of ignorance.”

This Hadeeth suggests that one of the main purposes for the final revelation is the banning of music, following spreading mercy to all of mankind! Notice, also, how the narration collectively refers to the “idols that were worshiped”. Could this be a reference to Music? Perhaps so, in the sense that it is, indeed, an idol for the modern era of ignorance as it was a false idol in the ancient era as well.

The argument that music also has therapeutic benefits is irrelevant, because much like alcohol, it has been proven that it influences humans both in good and bad ways. However, in our view, the harms outweigh the benefits. Here’s where it get a bit technical, but also quite interesting: Studies have shown that music affects the amplitude and frequency of brain waves, which can be measured by an electro-encephalogram. Music also affects breathing rate and electrical resistance of the skin. It has been observed to cause the pupils to dilate, increase blood pressure, and increase the heart rate.

Dr. Ballam states: “The human mind shuts down after three or four repetitions of a rhythm, or a melody, or a harmonic progression.” (Ballam, Michael. Music and the Mind, pp 1-8.). Furthermore, excessive repetition causes people to release control of their thoughts. Rhythmic repetition is used by people who are trying to push certain ethics in their music.

An Australian physician and psychiatrist, Dr. John Diamond, found a direct link between muscle strength/weakness and music. He discovered that all of the muscles in the entire body go weak when subjected to the “stopped anapestic beat” of music from hard rock musicians, including Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, Queen, The Doors, Janis Joplin, Bachman – Turner Overdrive, and The Band. Dr. Diamond found another effect of the anapestic beat. He called it a “switching” of the brain. Dr. Diamond said this switching occurs when the actual symmetry between both of the cerebral hemispheres is destroyed causing alarm in the body along with lessened work performance, learning and behavior problems in children, and a “general malaise in adults.” In addition to harmful, irregular beats in rock music, shrill frequencies prove to also be harmful to the body. Bob Larson, a Christian minister and former rock musician, remembers that in the 70′s teens would bring raw eggs to a rock concert and put them on the front of the stage. The eggs would be hard boiled by the music before the end of the concert and could be eaten. Dr. Earl W. Flosdorf and Dr. Leslie A. Chambers showed that proteins in a liquid medium were coagulated when subjected to piercing high-pitched sounds

I hope you can be brave enough to close that door shut by making the commitment today that music will no longer be a part of your life and that you will not be enslaved by its lure.

Wassalam

http://enlight.ahlul...addictive-drug/

Edited by Replicant

I was brought up in a traditional household without music. So, music wasn’t something that I was used too. However, I know how tempting playing music can be. I don’t have good workable solution because I think music is something that you can’t give up unless you were brought up properly since day 1.

thats not exactly true i wasnt brought up "properly" from day one and i completely gave up music !

• Advanced Member

(wasalam)

My personal story on how I quit music or (decreased) listening to it was..I realized during mesiab in muharram it was really hard for me to cry. The only days where I would be able to easily cry was on Ashura. :( So before muharram started I began the 40 day challenge where I would try to quit music permanently. Over those 40 days I was really serious about quitting it and instead I started listening to more latmiyas/nohas everytime I would crave songs. Then as muharram continued I realized each majilis how easy it was for the tears to flow out without even trying to explicity understand every word the mualana says (my urdu sucks and it's hard enough understanding theirs). It felt really good to be able to mourn and cry so easily for the Ahlulbayt <3 and yeah I was inspired by this, hopefully I can quit forever! :)

Edited by Farerra

I forgot to mention, you could get married and then you'll be too busy for music.

Why didn't I think of that before? :lol:

marriage a. isnt that much of a task that you dont even have time to listen to music :P and b. no marriage brings about more music his going to have to pick his wedding song isnt he a nice love one to dance to while the fireworks go off in the background :P

hahaha

(wasalam)

My personal story on how I quit music or (decreased) listening to it was..I realized during mesiab in muharram it was really hard for me to cry. The only days where I would be able to easily cry was on Ashura. :( So before muharram started I began the 40 day challenge where I would try to quit music permanently. Over those 40 days I was really serious about quitting it and instead I started listening to more latmiyas/nohas everytime I would crave songs. Then as muharram continued I realized each majilis how easy it was for the tears to flow out without even trying to explicity understand every word the mualana says (my urdu sucks and it's hard enough understanding theirs). It felt really good to be able to mourn and cry so easily for the Ahlulbayt <3 and yeah I was inspired by this, hopefully I can quit forever! :)

thats such an inspiring story wallah i to usually find that when i am doing something not so right its very hard to cry i always find myself distracted in the majlis but when i stop it i cry with no trouble... subhanallah it amazes me i just think seriously only the ones that Allah swt blesses with the ability to cry for hussien can cry because crying for hussein isnt just tears its the greast blessing the the world to LOVE what Allah swt loves......

• Advanced Member

i stopped listening to music completely over 2 years ago, alhamdulilah. it is difficult.... I read once that the words of Quran, nasheeds and nohas become more meaningful and sweeter once you get rid of the junk, lol. Anyway I stopped listening by first switching to nasheeds for a week or so, then nasheeds with no music. I think you need to go cold turkey with music after that bc the excuses will just hamper you. Now I only listen to Quran, nasheeds and nohas besides a few childrens nursey songs my kids listen to (I limit their music too though). Find groups you like (voices of passion is good), recitations you like (hafiz remzi er is great). I figure the rest plays everywhere so if you are an addict lol you cant use it as an excuse bc you will hear it on the bus, while at the traffic light, in stores, etc. Hope it goes well for you iA.

Edited by haniyeh

• Advanced Member

Taqwa.

Simply stop listening to it.

If you break down the essence of it, just like with everything, it either takes you closer to Allah or farther away.

It plays with your emotions and is a means of controlling you. People get so caught up in music and lyrics they can't even think properly.

Nobody is forcing you to be a Mu'min, it's hard work to fulfill every mustahhab, but try your best and pray for me as well insha'Allah I pray for you.

Wasalaam

• Advanced Member

That guy is brilliant!!!

I have heard his lecture about music and it was very good, our brother who is in this little situation should maybe check it out. It's Seyed Ammar Nakshwanki's website.

Omg come to think of it... He asked that exact question in the lecture.. Lol maybe he was being recorded whilst giving you the lecture bro :P

• Veteran Member

The problem with this, is that it applies to more things than music.

We spend all our time in frivolity. Does giving up music addiction, change that?

Music addiction, as bad as it is -- and I have experience with this -- is it worse than say, footie, or video games (things that are universally accepted as mubah)? Think about it: you don't need to go to some sort of fasad hut to listen to music. You just need a machine, called a computer, connected to another machine, called a modem. And then voila, you have music.

I have personally experienced how much frivolity gets drilled into your head from listening to it. There's so many damn rap lyrics stuck in my head. They will never leave me. That's useless information: "Execution double niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine style, fin to go send that body underground" is useless information. "I didn't wanna take his life, but the n***a tried to run and get away with me yaaaaaaaayooooooooo" is useless information. "East 99 is where you find me slangin that llello (Cleeeeeeeeeeeeeveland) Cleveland is the city where we come from so run ruuuuuuuuuun" is useless information. And not only that, but it's unakhlaqi things. Not the type of stuff that you want stuck in your head. Nobody can deny this.

But guess what? This is the key characteristic of the machine age: you can listen to that rubbish, whilst doing other stuff. So although it subverts your mind, it doesn't occupy much of your time! Meanwhile, sport and video games, occupy quite a bit of time. And in fact, one is more emotionally invested in these things than in music, because one's whole mood can alter based on the outcome of these games (whether real or virtual). Have you ever gotten upset because a song didn't end the way you wanted it to? But for example, if Iran doesn't make the world cup, I go nuts. Is that a proper approach to what is essentially a game?

So that's the issue. We have a very imbalanced approach to frivolity, where we accept some and don't accept others. And it's completely arbitrary.

Baradar out