Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
~RuQaYaH~

Facebook

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

I had a facebook account but I never added any friends. I knew I wouldn't have time to devote to it. My friends can just email me. :) Thank you for the link. I deactivated my account. -_-

I use Facebook only to stay in touch with my family and to discuss religion and keep updated on current world affairs.

I don't see anything wrong with it, it's a social networking. People can use it for good or bad, the individual should control themselves and not use it for bad.

Girls shouldn't be putting photos up, that defeats the whole purpose of Hijab, and guys as well shouldn't be putting photos up, because it's makrooh to begin with, but if we do then inshallah we keep it proper and not feeding our Nafs.

People need to stop blaming everything and start recognizing they are at fault themselves.

"Oh, Coca-Cola made me overweight", last I checked, Coca-Cola doesn't force anyone to drink it.

"Oh Cigarettes are hurting my deen", Nobody forced you to smoke, stop blaming cigarettes and just don't smoke them?

"Facebook makes me do haraam" Okay, plenty of people use it without doing haraam, so you need to fix yourself.

Seriously, self purification, it involves knowing Qur'an and Ahl al-Bayt (as). THAQALAYN. Once you know them, you're protected insha'Allah. Knowing them is the difficult part. Start learning and cling to wisdom.

wasalaam

I don't think some of you even read the article....? :P

The point is not to say that facebook is bad. It is a tool just like anything else - it can be used for major good or it can be used for major evil. But the article highlights how, amongst other things, it's very easy for facebook to become a very powerful platform for feeding our egos and constantly seeking the approval of others. It causes many people to constantly live their lives on display even outside of the cyber world. It's a really fascinating article, I'd highly encourage everyone here to read it. We need to take heed that if we do use facebook, we must be careful not to fall into that trap - and if we think that we can't help it then it probably is best to deactivate!

p.s yes, timeline is terrible....is it going to become compulsory for everyone?

wasalaam

Now enough with Facebook spying and Facebook spying.

If you have facebook, and you aren't like those people who put every single detail about your life, I think it will be alright.

Why don't you mention, that the Mossad and CIA could be spying on this website? And know the Location of each member in this forum because of their IP adress?

Now I wouldn't be even surprised if some members belonged to these kinds of intelligence.

Edited by RoAcHy

If you have facebook, and you aren't like those people who put every single detail about your life, I think it will be alright.

Why don't you mention, that the Mossad and CIA could be spying on this website? And know the Location of each member in this forum because of their IP adress?

Now I wouldn't be even surprised if some members belonged to these kinds of intelligence.

I don't have facebook :dry:

And of course they could be spying on this too but I have nothing to hide from them.

Edited by ImAli

I have Facebook and I really like it. I use it to communicate with my friends because we all go to different universities and it notifies me about events that are happening too.

I'm not one of those people who has 'friends' on my list just for the sake of it. I only add people who I know and talk to in real life (although I have a few people from SC as well now).

I hate people who live their life like an open wound and reveal every detail of their life and I hate people who add friends just so their friends list looks bigger, hence making them look popular.

Edited by Replicant

Yes I find the whole spy thing a little silly to be honest. Sure social networking sites are used as a tool by intelligence organisations to gather information. But that applies to every website. The CIA, ASIO etc already have all of your general information anyway. The only extra information that they'd be able to get about you from a facebook account is the information that you post, but why would you post every detail of your life on there anyway? And if these intelligence organisations were really interested in you and wanted to get all that extra information about you then they could get it, with or without a facebook account. For me what's more concerning than that is that facebook gives your information to corporations. I think this pic sums it up well:

post-13672-0-49405200-1327756011_thumb.j

Great article ^. I didn't hit the 'like' button because I didn't want to overblow the ego of whoever wrote it, lol

I recommend noone be on Facebook. I had an account but I deleted it after they encouraged people to post disrespectful cartoon of Prophet Muhammad(p.b.u.h). I know use email, txt, phone, etc. If you are going to be on Facebook, you should know 2 things.

1) Facebook is the greatest tool ever invented by governments to monitor it's citizens lives in detail. It is like Big Brother, but instead of Big Brother tracking you, you are voluntarily handing over your personal data to Big Brother (if you don't know what I'm talking about go read George Orwell's book 1984 http://www.george-orwell.org/1984/0.html). You should know that you are being tracked, watched, etc. Mark Zuckerburg's father was a long time CIA agent and apparently taught him the tricks of the trade.

2) Before you post anything on Facebook, you should always ask yourself 'Why I am posting this ?'. Is it to feed my ego, nafs, etc. If it is, don't post it. If it is for some legitimate purpose, like halal coorespondence with family or friends or for school or professional networking, no problem, but always think before you post and imagine if Imam Ali(a.s) or Sayyida Fatima(a.s) were looking at that post, what would they think of it ? Would they praise it or condemn it ? If you are in the habit of doing this, you will never go outside the boundaries, but remember Facebook is a dangerous place and as long as you are on, you have the possibility of slipping outside the halal so unless there is a very good reason, don't use it.

Some people are paranoid about that but I never worry, I don't do taqiyya online and have nothing to hide Alhamdulillah.

Edited by Dawud Miqdad al-Amriki

Thats not paranoia, thats reality.

Fear Allah then you don't have to fear anyone else.

Increase knowledge and then falsehood can't penetrate it.

the only harm spies or agents can possibly do is by spreading fitnah and lies. If you're knowledgeable then you refute them.

Fear Allah then you don't have to fear anyone else.

Increase knowledge and then falsehood can't penetrate it.

the only harm spies or agents can possibly do is by spreading fitnah and lies. If you're knowledgeable then you refute them.

:shifty: Inshalla one day you will realize what I said, and you will say RoAcHy had a point.

salam

fb can be good and harmless theres nothing really wrong with its just that there is ALOT of temptations to do wrong on it like add friend of the opposite gender, "stalk" other people profiles to find things out that are none of your business, spend all day on it doing nothing and forgetting your other duties, and MANY more lol

its like a guy going to the beach on a really hot day theres nothing wrong with it BUT he knows theres going to be many temptations to do wrong because he knows theres going to be a whole lot of undressed girls there thats just like fb theres a whole lot of girls not dressed and same as men not wearing tops....

but if one is extra careful with who they add and how they spend their time on it its fine i guess...