Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

How To Concentrate During Namaz

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam- I was wondering if soeone can give me some good ways of staying focused and concentrated while praying? I constantly have to bring my thoughts back into accordance with Allah, as they drift randomly to worldly thoughts while I am praying-they are distracting! Stupid things like,"wonder what so and so is doing?" or "Did my husband take his medication on time?" or "I wonder if my moms ok?" Just random thoughts :/ Thank you in advance:)

• Veteran Member

Wa alaykom salam

My advise is not of a professional and neither of someone who perfected it as well.

Try concentrating on the words you say, saying them from the heart. focusing on the present not the past or the future. entrusting what is unknown to you to Allah. and remembering who you are there praying to.

Edited by Maitham
  • Veteran Member

(salam)

An obligatory act on all Muslims, which is stated in the Qu'ran. Is that all it is?

If that is all praying is, then what is the point of it? Why did Allah want us to pray?

Allah (swt) doesn't need or require our ibadah (worship), it does not benefit the creator in any way, nor is Allah impacted by the deviation of Muslims turning away from their god. So this is the first thing we must all realise - There is no impact upon Allah if we do or do not worship him.

Prophet suleiman:

"This is by the Grace of my Lord, to test if I am grateful or ungrateful! And whosoever is grateful, it is only for the good of his own self, and whosoever is ungrateful, indeed Allah is All-Sufficient, and Bountiful”. (Surah Al-Naml, 40)

This reinforces the point that, any kind of worship we do for Allah is not actually for Allah but FOR US.

OK so if Allah doesn't need our worship then what's the point right?

WRONG

If we actually knew the effect of worship upon us, and the benefit for us in this, we wouldn't think twice about missing a daily prayer. We all respond more so to things we can see, physically rather than see, through our imaginations. Which is why we ignore certain sins, because the punishment isn't in front of us but instead waiting for us.

Salah is what opens the doors of jannah for the believers

Every Muslim can pray or knows how to pray, but how many of us know what we are saying when we pray? (I was included in this not too long ago). I'm not saying performing you're prayers without knowing the translation is worthless or pointless by any means! Allah will reward you for praying and taking you're time to do so, Insh'Allah we strive for more than that!

But if you know what you are actually saying in prayers then isn't it more likely Allah will listen? You have to believe Allah (swt) is listening to you and that when you pray you are talking to him.

Concentration in prayer is VITAL, without it you cannot pray. How many of us whilst praying are thinking of what's on tv later, what are my children doing in the other room etc etc. It's not easy to maintain a level of concentration in salah, you have to try hard.

To increase concentration you should try pray in an area where the tv isn't on and there is nothing going on around you, it's just you versus the shaytan, it's like a battle on the prayer mat!

Also when we are in a rush or we can't be bothered to pray a lot of us will speed up numaaz, for example surah fatiha will be spoken as if its a competition to see who finishes first, its so fast you can't make it out. This is not someone who truly believes Allah can hear him. If we knew for sure Allah could hear us then we would take our time and speak to the most merciful.

There are four types of people according to ulema:

1. People who make many mistakes in salah.

2. People who want to get prayer over and done with.

3. People who for most of their prayer are away from shaytan and have full concentration but are overcome in the last part.

4. People who the saytan does not come near.

Insh'Allah we all improve our act of worship further by any means to reach the latter of people (4).

So before you prayer next time try to find out what you're saying, trust me it helps!! (Internet).

Praise be to Allah, the highest.

Refer to Nakshwani's speech - 'Concentration in salah'

• Advanced Member

thats where u beat shaitan. constantly he tries to keep away ur thoughts. and thats what u have to do in prayers all ur life...........gradually u'll be become one of those for whom alllah swt has said shaitan will be able to distract everyone except the good followers.....(my pure followers).

with that just try to learn more and more bout prayers. every posture in prayers is too significant to realize, wen u in ur heart will realize the true concept of the particular way of prayers and when u'll tally it with the utterances, u'll find it very easy to concentrate.

w/s

• Veteran Member

wa alaykm salaam,

Sadly there is no answer to this question, yes, there are ways to improve your concentration, but it is a constant battle. I remember reading a hadih where the companions of Imam Sajjad (a) were worried because they could not focus on their prayers, and the Imam (a) told them to make sure they pray the nawafil, as they make up for lack of focus.

This short book is not bad

http://www.al-islam.org/soarbeloved/

The chapter on prayer in 'A Divine Perspective on Rights' is also quite good (right of the prayer, ch.10)

http://www.al-islam.org/divine-perspective-rights/

• 3 years later...
  • Advanced Member
Kamranistan, on 25 Jan 2012 - 9:28 PM, said:

(salam)

An obligatory act on all Muslims, which is stated in the Qu'ran. Is that all it is?

If that is all praying is, then what is the point of it? Why did Allah want us to pray?

Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì doesn't need or require our ibadah (worship), it does not benefit the creator in any way, nor is Allah impacted by the deviation of Muslims turning away from their god. So this is the first thing we must all realise - There is no impact upon Allah if we do or do not worship him.

Prophet suleiman:

"This is by the Grace of my Lord, to test if I am grateful or ungrateful! And whosoever is grateful, it is only for the good of his own self, and whosoever is ungrateful, indeed Allah is All-Sufficient, and Bountiful”. (Surah Al-Naml, 40)

This reinforces the point that, any kind of worship we do for Allah is not actually for Allah but FOR US.

OK so if Allah doesn't need our worship then what's the point right?

WRONG

If we actually knew the effect of worship upon us, and the benefit for us in this, we wouldn't think twice about missing a daily prayer. We all respond more so to things we can see, physically rather than see, through our imaginations. Which is why we ignore certain sins, because the punishment isn't in front of us but instead waiting for us.

Salah is what opens the doors of jannah for the believers

Every Muslim can pray or knows how to pray, but how many of us know what we are saying when we pray? (I was included in this not too long ago). I'm not saying performing you're prayers without knowing the translation is worthless or pointless by any means! Allah will reward you for praying and taking you're time to do so, Insh'Allah we strive for more than that!

But if you know what you are actually saying in prayers then isn't it more likely Allah will listen? You have to believe Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì is listening to you and that when you pray you are talking to him.

Concentration in prayer is VITAL, without it you cannot pray. How many of us whilst praying are thinking of what's on tv later, what are my children doing in the other room etc etc. It's not easy to maintain a level of concentration in salah, you have to try hard.

To increase concentration you should try pray in an area where the tv isn't on and there is nothing going on around you, it's just you versus the shaytan, it's like a battle on the prayer mat!

Also when we are in a rush or we can't be bothered to pray a lot of us will speed up numaaz, for example surah fatiha will be spoken as if its a competition to see who finishes first, its so fast you can't make it out. This is not someone who truly believes Allah can hear him. If we knew for sure Allah could hear us then we would take our time and speak to the most merciful.

There are four types of people according to ulema:

1. People who make many mistakes in salah.

2. People who want to get prayer over and done with.

3. People who for most of their prayer are away from shaytan and have full concentration but are overcome in the last part.

4. People who the saytan does not come near.

Insh'Allah we all improve our act of worship further by any means to reach the latter of people (4).

So before you prayer next time try to find out what you're saying, trust me it helps!! (Internet).

Praise be to Allah, the highest.

Refer to Nakshwani's speech - 'Concentration in salah'

My good prayers are usually like number 3 but sometimes like number 2 unfortunately I'm trying to improve it though.

• Advanced Member

salam

brush your teeth before every salah. before you near wudhu, think of what you had to do before your wedding day. same idea. decorate yourself with His presence.

when you step foot on prayer mat, look at it as if its your grave. invoke the idea of death. now raise your hands as if your last.

moment you start wandering the barren plains of this wretched world, bring yourself back to that thread which binds us all together, your breath.

practice practice. please take some time out to read adab us salat by ayat khomeini sb. he shed light on the bird of imagination and how to tame it.

you're blessed my sister for asking such question. may Allah give you more. please remember all of us in your dua.

Salaam

• Advanced Member

Purif your heart and self from all sins and impurities... concentration and love of Allah will come automatically... trying concentration tricks may help temporarily, but long run only remaining pure. u won't even have to try to concentrate, a pure heart is automatically pulled towards Allah swt like a magnet