Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Najib

Circumcision Reverts

Rate this topic

I saw a report on BBC/AlJazeera about a a very simple new tool being used in Africa for circumcision.

It's safe, 'bloodless' (so it's not surgery) and if I remember right, so simple, that the report said people have started circumcising themselves using it (of course, it would be recommended you go to a male nurse/doctor to do it for you).

It consist of 2 rings, a rubber band and a thread so it's bound to be cheap too; plus, it's FDA approved (so I'm guessing it would not be too hard to find).

The only thing I think can go wrong here is that the website says you have to be an adult to use it and you mentioned your friend is only 17.

Here's the official website of the product: PrePex

and an 'opinion' about it on nytimes: In One Simple Tool, Hope for H.I.V. Prevention

(salam)

I saw a report on BBC/AlJazeera about a a very simple new tool being used in Africa for circumcision.

It's safe, 'bloodless' (so it's not surgery) and if I remember right, so simple, that the report said people have started circumcising themselves using it (of course, it would be recommended you go to a male nurse/doctor to do it for you).

It consist of 2 rings, a rubber band and a thread so it's bound to be cheap too; plus, it's FDA approved (so I'm guessing it would not be too hard to find).

The only thing I think can go wrong here is that the website says you have to be an adult to use it and you mentioned your friend is only 17.

Here's the official website of the product: PrePex ™

and an 'opinion' about it on nytimes: In One Simple Tool, Hope for H.I.V. Prevention

(salam)

I wanted to add something really important,but cannot remember right now....Oh,yes;now I recall!Don't forget the anesthesia before using this on yourself,boys.

Here's the official website of the product: PrePex ™

(salam)

Huh. That's pretty neat. The only catch as to why it doesn't require a lot of medical expertise to perform it is that it doesn't involve cutting live tissue, and takes a week. The nurses basically put two rings, one inside and one outside, They pinch off the blood flow, and the skin dies. The second visit they cut off the dead skin and remove the rings. I would imagine the recovery time would be a lot faster too. Normal adult circumcision requires like, 6 weeks recovery before it can be, ahem, used again. This, one would probably be ready to go within a day or two probably. And the cost and labor savings must be tremendous. The site suggests they can save 3.4 million lives in Africa and 16.5 billion dollars by doing this for 20 million men. Extraordinary the little things that can have such benefit.

Edited by kadhim

I reverted to Islam 20 years ago but kept procrastinating when it came to having myself circumcised. It took 12 years before I summoned the courage to go through with it.

For those who are interested, yes, the pain is, "exquisite". The bizarre swelling and bruising can frighten some, but it's normal for an adult who undergoes the procedure, as are the stitches. Yes, although stitches are not used on infants, those of us with a fully grown organ require stitching - about 9 for me, IIRC. The doctor also prescribes Valium (or something similar) to take prior to sleeping. I was told it was to stop a patient from suffering involuntary "swelling" while asleep. I can attest to the fact that it causes incredible pain (forgot to take them one night), and could feasibly lead to one's stitches popping.

Anyway, as nightmarish as it sounds, the trauma quickly recedes to a distant memory and you are MIA for only a month or so. The spiritual rewards far outweigh the transitory discomfort one experiences.

Btw, the procedure is done under a "twilight" anaesthetic, which is a level lower than a general anaesthetic.

I wanted to add something really important,but cannot remember right now....Oh,yes;now I recall!Don't forget the anesthesia before using this on yourself,boys.

Well of course no one's claiming the procedure is a 100% pain-free. You're still having a part of your body removed. But local injected anaesthesia is not necessary in this case. Dermal anaethesia should do (which is also cheaper).

I reverted to Islam 20 years ago but kept procrastinating when it came to having myself circumcised. It took 12 years before I summoned the courage to go through with it.

For those who are interested, yes, the pain is, "exquisite".

Yeah well i guess it was a mistake that you waited for so long. The longer you wait the more it takes the body to recover..some babies recover within a day! So I guess it would be better for all future Muslims to do it as quickly as possible and get it over with.

Yeah well i guess it was a mistake that you waited for so long. The longer you wait the more it takes the body to recover..some babies recover within a day! So I guess it would be better for all future Muslims to do it as quickly as possible and get it over with.

:dry:

(bismillah)

(salam)

the ring has been around for at least longer than 6 years. The plastic ring drops off in the babies by about the 4th day. 5 to 7 days and it is as was.

(wasalam)

ps. ask around for doctors who do the ring procedure.

(bismillah)

(salam)

the ring has been around for at least longer than 6 years. The plastic ring drops off in the babies by about the 4th day. 5 to 7 days and it is as was.

(wasalam)

ps. ask around for doctors who do the ring procedure.

(wasalam) Thanks for the input! But I meant the complications were gone within one day, don't know about the skin.. anyway, it's what i heard from a reliable source so.

(wasalam)

The difference in healing rate between a 25 year old and a 37 y.o. man would be minimal (a couple of days, I'm guessing). Of course once you are in your mid-forties the time it would take for a wound like that to heal would start to lengthen.

Anyway, the point of my post is that there is no need to postpone what needs to be done. It is a little gruesome, but the swelling goes down in a couple of weeks, and the organ is fully functional (in the Qur'anic sense) in no more than 4 weeks. Before you know it, it'll be a distant memory.

The difference in healing rate between a 25 year old and a 37 y.o. man would be minimal (a couple of days, I'm guessing). Of course once you are in your mid-forties the time it would take for a wound like that to heal would start to lengthen.

Anyway, the point of my post is that there is no need to postpone what needs to be done. It is a little gruesome, but the swelling goes down in a couple of weeks, and the organ is fully functional (in the Qur'anic sense) in no more than 4 weeks. Before you know it, it'll be a distant memory.

I just saw your signature..you didn't need circumcision really. That is, if you believe the text in your signature which I think you proudly do.

It reminds me of the event of Imam Reza (as) when three man came to him and asked him if they should shorten their prayers as they were travellers. He first asked them who they came to see, the first two said that they came to see the Imam (as) but the third answered that he came for Ma'moon. The Imam (as) replied that the first two should shorten their prayer but it wouldn't matter for the third if he did or did not (lecture from Sayed Ammar Nakshwani on the Imam)

I think you could see where I'm heading..Anyway, it's a topic for another discussion, but the signature quite bothered me and had to say something that would offset the ignorance.

I just saw your signature..you didn't need circumcision really. That is, if you believe the text in your signature which I think you proudly do.

It reminds me of the event of Imam Reza (as) when three man came to him and asked him if they should shorten their prayers as they were travellers. He first asked them who they came to see, the first two said that they came to see the Imam (as) but the third answered that he came for Ma'moon. The Imam (as) replied that the first two should shorten their prayer but it wouldn't matter for the third if he did or did not (lecture from Sayed Ammar Nakshwani on the Imam)

I think you could see where I'm heading..Anyway, it's a topic for another discussion, but the signature quite bothered me and had to say something that would offset the ignorance.

Bro, he didnt write that. He is quoting a previous member who said the above about Yazid (la'natullah alay)