Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Çåá ÇáÈíÊ

What Does Kerbala Truly Mean To You And Teach You?

Rate this topic

When I say 'You', I refer to everyone on this forum - regardless of the beliefs they choose to subscribe to or lack of belief - as an individual. The Event of Ashura manifests universality, a story that everyone can emotively relate to through the confines of their own perspectives and can, more or less, trigger some sort of realization in all of us and considerably alter our outlook of this life and reinvigorate it with lofty notion, ideals and goals.

How does this concern non-theists? How does it pertain to them? Because a variety of universal human rights were desecrated on that day. Most atheists or agnostics are humanists, even if they don't call themselves as such, especially the ones on this forum. 

I want such non-theists to share what the uprising in the event of Kerbala means to them and perhaps what they learn from it, from a non-theological perspective. For example, Gandhi learnt from Imam Hussein (a) how to be victorious whilst oppressed.

How does Kerbala inspire you? How does Kerbala enlighten you? What does Kerbala teach you as an individual?

I don't want an obvious response. Think. What does it philosophically mean to you? What philosophical teachings can you gain from it? Discuss how you extracted these thoughts from the profound event.

------

Extra Question:-

What do the tragic events that transpired after Ashura, namely Arbaeen, teach you as an individual?

------

There is another reason as to why I opened this thread.

You see, I have heard scholars say that the amount of moral values and philosophical teachings that can be discovered from the event of Kerbala is inexhaustible.

Perhaps it is meant metaphorically, but I want to test this claim.

(bismillah)

(salam)

The events and characters of Karbala taught me that there is always a choice. And that one should rather Die for truth then live to be oppressed. For surely No one can truly defeat someone With Allah (SWT) on their side.

Famous figures from history have also talked about Karbala, Im sure you are familiar with some of these quotes :

Mahatma Gandhi (Indian political and spiritual leader): “I learnd from Hussein how to achieve victory while being oppressed.”

Charles Dickens (English novelist): “If Husain had fought to quench his worldly desires…then I do not understand why his sister, wife, and children accompanied him.It stands to reason therefore, that he sacrificed purely for Islam.”

Dr. K. Sheldrake: “Of that gallant band, male and female knew that the enemy forces around were implacable, and were not only ready to fight, but to kill. Denied even water for the children, they remained parched under the burning sun and scorching sands, yet not one faltered for a moment. Husain marched with his little company, not to glory, not to power of wealth, but to a supreme sacrifice, and every member bravely faced the greatest odds without flinching.”

Here is the website with many more. http://smma59.wordpress.com/2008/02/03/quotations-about-imam-hussain-as-by-non-muslims/

To elaborate on my point early about how there is always a choice, by Looking at hurr we can see that there is always a choice between right and wrong and that it's never too late.

There are many blogs on the internet, I found one of hand http://islamicsystem.blogspot.com/2007/01/lessons-from-tragedy-of-karbala.html

and other sites which show that Karbala has so many meanings and is something that is not just for us as muslims, but a message to the world. To everyone who has ever been oppressed, to anyone who has ever been denied a human right and to anyone who has lost a dear friend, family and loved one, unjustly.

Allahu Akbar!

Ya Hussain (as).

(wasalam)

beautiful topic .

i learned from hussain that we need struggle and sacrifice to achieve success .

I also learned that although Imam hussain may have not won the battle, he learned a big lesson for humanity that he taught us , that is circulating till today ..and will circulate till the rise of Imam Mahdi

Imam Khomeini (ra) explains it very good. My opinions reminds me of his saying.

“Every day is Ashura, and every land is Karbala!” These are great, immortal words, mostly misunderstood and misused. Some think it means lamenting every day, but it isn’t so! What was the role of the land of Karbala on the Ashura Day? All lands should be like that! The part or role of Karbala was this: The Master of the Martyrs accompanied by a few men rose up against the tyranny and oppression of the cruel regime of Yazid, against the emperor of the time, fought him but as their number was too small, they sacrificed themselves and were all killed, thus they did not submit to cruelty and this meant a defeat for the oppressor. And, the motto “Every day is Ashura” means that we all must stand and fight oppression every day if it so exists, the command is unlimited in terms of time and location or place. The Karbala event occurred on a site that was limited in dimension and number of challengers - 70 plus persons. But this is symbolic. All lands should perform the role that Karbala did, that is, people must resist oppression whenever and wherever it occurs, and fight it without regard to forces available.”

- Imam Khomeini (ra)

Meaning of life.

We should resist against Yazid, Umar ibn Saad, Shimr etc of this time.

The symbol of ultimate truth vs ultimate falsehood is depicted perfectly.

It's timeless.

And i am not sure i will not become the traitors of Kufah in the future if i am not preparing and do nothing only waiting for Imam Mahdi (as) arrival.

Edited by аli

Thanks for the responses so far, but there is something else that I feel compelled to ask.

What is it that you learn from Ashura that any other philosophy doesn't teach you, or long-term experience doesn't teach you or a narrative from general history doesn't teach you?

Fundamentally, what i'm getting at is that if Ashura hadn't have happened, we would still be holding on to the same virtuous wisdoms and teachings today. So is it really the lessons we learn from the tradgedy of Kerbala that mean a great deal to us or is it the personalities within the tradgedy that actually mean a great deal?

One of the things it teaches me is that the protection of the Sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh) was worth Imam Husayn (as) and his family dying for, and that the biggest test of how much you love the Imam (as) is how much you follow his Sunnah, which was the same as that of his Grandfather (pbuh).

He (as) taught us how to love.. The tragedy itself, if did not occur than God knows what the world would be like today, I think just these two points can be expanded into 100's of others.

But for me, Karbala showed me how important sacrifices are in this life, you will not love the ahlulbayt (as) unless you sacrifice for them, for Islam. All of the above points I also take away from this, but there is a deep spiritual connection that no one can explain..

The tragedy is one thing but the shear status of our Imam (as) in the eyes of God is another.. He showed us true love.

Edited by Kamran-Syed

Salams...

nice topic. I have a few meanings that I have derived from Karbala. I entered a competition whereby I wrote my perspectives within it.

So I wll try and paste the relevent sections.

As for commanding the good, Imam Hussain (a.s.) sacrificed himself in Allah's way at the time of Asr. Imam Hussain (a.s) prayed in his last sajdah, "oh Allah accept this humble sacrifice" (Aqa Mahdi Puya). He intended to try to make people understand that Allah is far too high and even such a major sacrifice would be humble before Allah’s greatness. Furthermore, He wished to “revive the sunnah” (Shaykh Hamid Waqar) in which case all those actions that Prophet (saww) did were to remain in the facets of Islam until the day of Judgement. Prophet (saww)’s actions and way of life were the practicality of the Holy Qur’an. Hazrat Aisha (R.A) described the Holy Prophet (saww) as “the walking Qur’an” (Minhaj Uk).

This sacrifice allows Muslims to distinguish the difference between hypocrisy and true acceptance of Islam. This can be clarified through witnessing the scene at Karbala. The yazidi opposition were anxious about the punctuality of their prayer! The irony within this is clear that how can they claim to be Muslims, rushing toward prayer simultaneously murdering the grandson of the Holy Prophet (saww)? It is apparent that without having belief of Imam Hussain (a.s) as their leader, their prayers have no value as they disregarded Prophet’s (saww)’s specific commands.

It is important for us to learn from this, that the most excellent people of that time were sacrificed in the way of Allah. It involved a sincere mission which contains a genuine message. This event didn’t take place for people to just mourn upon. Rather we were to keep Islam alive through means of commanding good, forbidding evil and acting upon the tenets of Islam. Imam Hussain (a.s) was going through the biggest test one could have had since his loved ones were being martyred one by one in his presence. We will never be able to comprehend how important this mission was in the eyes of Allah. However, we can acknowledge that Islam has priority and nothing can be compromised in Allah’s way even if everything has to be sacrificed.

wasalam..

He (as) taught us how to love.. The tragedy itself, if did not occur than God knows what the world would be like today, I think just these two points can be expanded into 100's of others.

But for me, Karbala showed me how important sacrifices are in this life, you will not love the ahlulbayt (as) unless you sacrifice for them, for Islam. All of the above points I also take away from this, but there is a deep spiritual connection that no one can explain..

The tragedy is one thing but the shear status of our Imam (as) in the eyes of God is another.. He showed us true love.

Can you explain how the world would have been today if the event hadn't occured? Because, the fact is that the world would have been the same as it is today, i've actually opened a thread about this misconception.

Yes, i agree, Imam (a) taught us how to show love, especially with our enemy.