Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
diracdeltafunc

Macbook Pro - Israaf?

Rate this topic

Salamalaikum,

So almost everything that you can do on a mac can be done on a decent windows laptop. With this in consideration, is buying a macbook pro israaf? Say the sole reason for buying it is for getting a 'reliable machine'. However it could be argued that windows 7 is stable enough.

Thoughts?!

Guest Mushu

I have one. I think it should be Mustahab if anything :lol:

To be fair, I got a generous student discount.

EDIT: With all seriousness though, it is a good laptop. The operating system, once you get used to it, is so much nicer to use; everything is much more intuitive; pages (the equivalent of word) is so much nicer to use, and allows you to make much prettier documents. Also, you can't get viruses; they are faster; the keyboard lights up - and finally, they look cool.

Well I was gifted a MacBook so...

But if it's a question of what does your Mac have that my PC doesn't, then there's just one word that comes to mind: Security.

Gamers and those who like to download stuff (torrents especially), get their PCs busted a lot because most of the viruses are 'PC-only compatible'; (due to the sheer number of PCs out there), to put it simply. It is extremely difficult to find loopholes in Apple products' security (which is why they're having so much trouble creating a jailbreak for the latest iOS).

However contrary to popular belief, there are Macintosh viruses, but a Mac (or any Apple product, for that matter) getting infected is a rarity. To date I have not seen a Mac antivirus CD being sold in CD shops (maybe I don't live in a posh enough area :donno: ).

I don't know about other countries, but people who fix PCs hoard a lot of money in the country I live in (again I've never seen just any Tom or Harry screwing open a Mac and fixing it). Moreover, we're gradually transforming into people who rely on their desktops more and more. Many students (taking online courses, for example) and employees can not afford to lose their precious work. So it's best to avoid all the hassle, save some cash and get a safe machine.

Finally, with things like these around, buying a normal Mac can't possibly be israf. :P

(salam)

Edited by Basim Ali

I am an ex window user. You can't really compare both the machines.

Security and ease of use are the two main points. Also don't forget that you will be paying for top quality hardware. I used to get frustrated with my PC laptop. After a year, something always break down. If not this then the battery have to die on me. The other time you are wasting your time fighting viruses or blue screen of death.

Edited by Gypsy

Windows is a cr*ap.

Have you tried Ubuntu Linux? It is free, easy to use, robust, and far more secure than the any OS mentioned above.

I hate the Blue Screen of Death

Sometimes makes me just wanna smash the computer :angry:

remove window$ for the sake of life

I use a desktop with windows 7 professional and its OK. I had Vista but replaced it which brought a modicum of improvement. I don't like laptops because being 6'2" I have large hands and like everything on a larger scale. I don't see much sense in buying the most expensive hardware because it becomes near obsolete so fast.

It would be useful is someone told me what "israaf" means but I guess it means wasteful.

Do you game with your Macbook!?

No! LOL (well the already-installed-Angry Birds maybe sometimes :blush: )

But I'm speaking in general, of people who like hardcore gaming like playing WoW, COD, etc.

Edited by Basim Ali

Guest Mushu

No! LOL (well the already-installed-Angry Birds maybe sometimes :blush: )

But I'm speaking in general, of people who like hardcore gaming like playing WoW, COD, etc.

Yeahh, because I was surprised. You can't really game on a mac.