Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

I Need Some Advice

Rate this topic

salam. ive seriously been thinking for the past 2 years about my future. i have absolutely no idea what i want to do with my life. however, ever since i started listening to speakers such as sr. tayyaba khanum, br. hussein al muhaisen, and br. ammar nakshawani, ive been wondering-- should i go to iran to study our religion more thoroughly, and quite possibly become a speaker?

i havent seriously spoken to my family yet. their responses would be something along the lines of "you're a girl" and "you dont perform basic wajib acts, what would you do in iran?" we have spoken about iran, and ive been told that iranis are hostile towards pakistanis sometimes (im pakistani), and that i may be uncomfortable. i can overlook that, as im not going there to socialize. and, its not as though the entire country hates pakistanis.

im not terribly religious, but maybe i can change by going there? i have no idea what to do. its really easy to say "go for it" or something, but to act upon that is easier said than done.

so yeah, just looking for some guidance, and if anyone has studied in iran, can you give me some insight? id really appreciate it :)

• Advanced Member

salam. ive seriously been thinking for the past 2 years about my future. i have absolutely no idea what i want to do with my life. however, ever since i started listening to speakers such as sr. tayyaba khanum, br. hussein al muhaisen, and br. ammar nakshawani, ive been wondering-- should i go to iran to study our religion more thoroughly, and quite possibly become a speaker?

i havent seriously spoken to my family yet. their responses would be something along the lines of "you're a girl" and "you dont perform basic wajib acts, what would you do in iran?" we have spoken about iran, and ive been told that iranis are hostile towards pakistanis sometimes (im pakistani), and that i may be uncomfortable. i can overlook that, as im not going there to socialize. and, its not as though the entire country hates pakistanis.

im not terribly religious, but maybe i can change by going there? i have no idea what to do. its really easy to say "go for it" or something, but to act upon that is easier said than done.

so yeah, just looking for some guidance, and if anyone has studied in iran, can you give me some insight? id really appreciate it :)

Going anywhere in the world will not change our souls (brute fact). Even if it does it is not permanent change. If one is genuinely concerned about how to develop his soul spiritually then one should pray very very hard for that. And then be grateful for the sufficient guidance God has given him to at least pray to God for more guidance. This act of free personal prayer should itself be a great consolation and way of living. Without this act God will not open doors.

• Advanced Member

becoming a female speaker? that coulld be difficult but if it something you think you can put your mind to, go ahead and try it if you think you can become dedicated. But i dont understand why you think you have to go to Iran? Why do you think it is specallly more religious in Iran? its not. Why dont you first try doing so in your local Islamic community and gatherings? or in Pakistan

you should definitely go if you believe that is somethiing that you will fulfill it completely and its not something you going through a phase where you getting all motivated now and once you there you lose all interest. Good to hear you getting motivated by khanum, she is a family relative

you're related to khanum? ahhh, you're so lucky :)

Going anywhere in the world will not change our souls (brute fact). Even if it does it is not permanent change. If one is genuinely concerned about how to develop his soul spiritually then one should pray very very hard for that. And then be grateful for the sufficient guidance God has given him to at least pray to God for more guidance. This act of free personal prayer should itself be a great consolation and way of living. Without this act God will not open doors.

thats not necessarily true, from what ive seen. i know a girl who visited the shrine of imam hussain (as) and converted to shia islam. soemtimes, going places can open your mind and eyes, and Allah SWT is Merciful.

asdfghjkkl i spoke to my mom about it. she said once im married i can go -_____- if i wait until i marry, and my husband says no to me going, i have to listen to him, right? D:

@Awaiting_for_the_12th, would you happen to know when khanum went to go study? im trying to use famous examples to persuade her :D

becoming a female speaker? that coulld be difficult but if it something you think you can put your mind to, go ahead and try it if you think you can become dedicated. But i dont understand why you think you have to go to Iran? Why do you think it is specallly more religious in Iran? its not. Why dont you first try doing so in your local Islamic community and gatherings? or in Pakistan

i dont know, to be quite honest, why i prefer iran.... definitely not pakistan, im sick of it (personal reasons). idk, i have this image in my head of iran being the most amazing place to get an islamic education, the place where one can learn everything. its weird, ive never thought about going anywhere else for some reason. qum, specifically, is praised so often, and is spoken of as though it's like the ivy league of islamic education.

• 6 months later...
  • Advanced Member

I know that sounds a bit trite and canned....

But what ever you are looking for you will find if you look hard enough. If you go there thinking that they are hostile towards you they will be because you will tanslate thier behavior that way and vice versa.

Regarding life, I am no expert and going through the same difficulty trying to find purpose and path. But There are moments where I actually feel like i can accomplish anything which is when i am doing somethign I am passionate about something that brings me joy.

The trick is to have someone pay you for it!

Regarding Religion! or Knowledge you can get that on YOUTUBE! its not really the place its the state of mind that your in. If your closed minded ( And I am towards religion but that is just perspective) you will be regarding of location.. And if you are open minded, and little open Hearted you can learn anywhere.

just my two Cents!

• Advanced Member

I think this is a valiant and commendable step if you are truly interested for the right reasons. But, if do not perform daily wajib acts, you should probably focus on that first. I don't mean to discourage you or anything but if you are going to be a leader and a roler model for Muslims, you must attempt to reach certain levels of human perfection. Otherwise, I think you could be considered a hypocrit. You must practice what you preach, correct?

• Basic Members

hmm, my opinion is that if you really want to gain that experience, and once you have spiritually prepared yourself, you should do it! It may be that you need to take time to study and learn about your Islam and Quran before so that this will be a successful experience. Also once your parents see that you have grown spiritually, it might convince them that this is a good idea. As someone who has lived in America all of my life, and recently converted to Islam, it is a GREAT dream of mine to visit and spend some time in a Muslim country in the Middle East one day. But thankfully, there are Muslim communities closeby where I currently live.

• Advanced Member

What stage of life are you at now? As in have you complete uni or college etc?

If you really are interested in this then i would encourage to go for the long haul,i.e. 3-4yrs. If you are able to do that then go for it.

Iran will change your mindset, open up a whole world of sprituality and knowledge that you never knew existed. And whats more It will stay with you for good.

Dont depend on marraige as the spouse also going is most likely not going to happen for practicality reasons.Even if it does, then the focus is difficult.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Salams sister,

I don't know what point you are in life but think about getting a degree in Social Work. As a social worker I help improve any system.... schools, families, health sytems, communties. It means learning to help all people improve their lives in any way needed. The muslims need this kind of help so much. It also offers you many areas where you can work in the states or over seas

At the same time you could minor in arabic.. not a bad idea ! Also, getting a certificate in TESOL - teaching english to speakers of other languages - is a great asset if you are in the states or anywhere and plan to live overseas... you can teach...even in the states.

Then you would be better set to go anywhere.

To me,l this is the foundation of a good religious person -whatever that means! If someone has a good character this is a huge part of din. I mean like there are so many who pray and preach but have bad character. It doesn't making or preaching bad but I think yoiu get the picture.

So many converts are pressured to immediately put on hijba and pray... I'm not sure, somebody check but I heard dthat those were not the earliest orders that came down to the people...actually the oneness of Allah and the basics of His creation were the first conceptual things taught to the people to bring them away from their old inacacurate ways of thinking.

hope this helps!

• Advanced Member

salams,

forgot to say wha tyou already know which is that you can study your Islam all along the way anddd develope in your own way its practice. Never think that iran, lebanon or anywhere is really, really practicing Islam... yes some environments are better than others but believe me from experience of myself and many others, things are not always as good as they are cracked up to be in some of these countries.

Dont worry. ur a girl, u shouldnt worry about anything beside gettin married, and starting a wonderful family life. This whole Iran plan, isnt worth it.

Just bc some ppl choose to study in one of those hawza. It doesnt mean they come out as good person or a speaker. Many of these so called religious speakerss , r now shia money machine (which explains their religiouness and love for ahlul bayt)

• Advanced Member

In terms of knowledge, it sounds like an amazing plan. I've thought the same on few occassions.

However you need to think of it realistically. There will be a major language barrier, different social enviornment, finances, being a female living alone etc.

Maybe discuss with your family or pray Salatul Layl? Allah will show you what's best

• 2 weeks later...