Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
bad_boy

Misconceptions About Muharrum (a Fwd Email)

Rate this topic

Asalamoalikum

I just recieved an email with subject misconceptions about muharram. can any one help me in replying?

FYI

In the name of Allah, the Most-Merciful, the All-Compassionate

"May the Peace and Blessings of Allah be Upon You"

Praise be to Allaah, we seek His help and His forgiveness. We seek refuge with Allaah from the evil of our own souls and from our bad deeds. Whomsoever Allaah guides will never be led astray, and whomsoever Allaah leaves astray, no one can guide. I bear witness that there is no god but Allaah, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger.

Bismillah Walhamdulillah Was Salaatu Was Salaam 'ala Rasulillah

As-Salaam Alaikum Wa-Rahmatullahi Wa-Barakatuhu

Mubarakbad for New Islamic Year to You

In Saudi Arabia today is the First Day on 1433H

Facts and Misconceptions

Facts About Muharram

• Muharram is one of the four sacred Months out of twelve. The other being ZiQad,ZilHajj and Rajab.

• These four months have been sacred since the creation of universe – as told by Allah swt in the Quran.

• Muharram is a sacred month NOT because the grandson of Prophet Muhammad (saw) was martyred in this month. It is sacred because Allah made it sacred along with three other months and told us about it in the Quran.

PROOF:

Allah says in the Holy Quran:

“Surely the number of months with Allah is twelve months in Allah’s ordinance since the day when He created the heavens and the earth, of these four being sacred; that is the right reckoning; therefore be not unjust to yourselves regarding them.”

[surah 9 :At-Taubah, Verse 36]

Prophet Muhammad (saw) informed us about the four sacred months in the following narration:

“The year is of twelve months, out of which four months are sacred: Three are in succession Dhul-Qa’da, Dhul-Hijja and Muharram, and (the fourth is) Rajab…” [bukhari Vol 004, Book 054, Hadith 419

• After Ramadan, fasting in the month of Muharram is most rewardable.

PROOF:

Prophet Muhammad saw said “The most excellent fast after Ramadan is in Allah’s month; al-Muharram, and the most excellent prayer after what is prescribed is prayer during the night.” [Muslim 6: 2661]

• Prophet Muhammad (saw) called Muharram “Allah’s Month”

Facts about Ashura

(The 10th of Muharram)

• Fasting on the 10th Muharram i.e. Ashura was obligatory on the Muslims before the fasts of Ramadan were made obligatory.

Narrated by Mother of the Believers Aisha (ra): “The people used to fast on Ashura (the tenth day of the month of Muharram) before the fasting of Ramadan was made obligatory. And on that day the Ka’aba used to be covered with a cover. When Allah made the fasting of the month of Ramadan compulsory, Allahs Apostle said, “Whoever wishes to fast (on the day of Ashura) may do so; and whoever wishes to leave it can do so.

[bukhari Vol 02, Book 026, Hadith Number 662]

• Fast of Ashura expiates the sins of the previous year and the coming year.

“Abu Qatada al-Ansari (Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) was asked about his fasting… He was asked about fasting on the day of Ashura (10th of Muharram), whereupon be said: It expiates the sins of the preceding year…”[Muslim: Book 06: Hadith 2603]

Misconceptions about Ashura

• This is the day Prophet Adam (as) was created

• This is the day when Allah accepted the repentance of Adam (as)

• This is the day when Ibrahim (as) was born.

• This is the day the Qayamat (doomsday) will occur. (From hadiths we know Qayamat will occur on a Friday, but does not specify which month)

• Whoever baths on Ashura will never get ill.

All of the above are misconceptions based on unauthentic traditions.

• Muharram is an evil or unlucky month.( due to the battle of Karbala)

• Marriages should not be held in Muharram.

This misconception can be easily removed by the fact that on the exact same day Husain (ra) was martyred, years ago Prophet Musa as and his followers were saved from Pharaoh, which is why Prophet Muhammad saw observed the fast on Ashura and ordered the Muslims to do the same. The day can not be lucky and unlucky at the same time.

Historical Facts about Muharram

• Musa (as) and the Bani Israel were saved from the Pharaoh by the parting of the sea on 10th Muharram.

• Prophet Musa (as) as a sign of gratitude to Allah used to fast on the day of Ashura and Jews did the same.

• Prophet Muhammad (saw) on hearing the fast of Musa (as) also ordered the Muslims to fast on this day and himself did the same.

• Prophet Muhammad (saw) decided to fast on 9th Muharram as well to differentiate from the Jews but he passed away before he could do so.

PROOF:

Ibn Abbas ra narrated: “When the Prophet came to Medina, he found (the Jews) fasting on the day of Ashura (i.e. 10th of Muharram). They used to say: “This is a great day on which Allah saved Moses and drowned the folk of Pharaoh. Moses observed the fast on this day, as a sign of gratitude to Allah.” The Prophet said, “I am closer to Moses than they.” So, he observed the fast (on that day) and ordered the Muslims to fast on it.

[ Bukhari: Vol 4, Book 055, Hadith Number 609]

Ibn Abbas ra reported: ”When the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) fasted on the day of Ashura and commanded that it should be observed as a fast, they (his Companions) said to him: Messenger of Allah, it is a day which the Jews and Christians hold in high esteem. Thereupon the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: When the next year comes, God willing, we would observe fast on the 9th".

But the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) died before the advent of the next year.” [Musim: Book 006, Hadith Number 2528]

Abdullah ibn Abbas (ra) also reported that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) had said:

“If I live till the next (year), I would definitely observe fast on the 9th".[Muslim: Book 006, Hadith Number 2529]

• Companion Umar Farooq (ra) succumbed to his injuries and attained Martyrdom on the 1st of Muharram, 23 AH (After Hijri)

• Grandson of Prophet Muhammad (saw) Hussain ibn Ali (ra) along with most of his family members was martyred in the desert of Kerbala in Iraq on the 10th of Muharram.

Authentic Ibadaat (Worship) of Muharram

• Fasting in Muharram (any day)

• Fasting on 10th Muharram and combining it with the fast of 9th Muharram to distinguish from the Jews.

Innovations and things to avoid in Muharram

• Preparing special dishes meals in Muharram and Ashoora

• Muslims should not eat any meals, dishes made specifically by the Shias for Ashoora as it involves eating food on which a name other than the name of Allah has been taken or is prepared as a token to any other other than Allah. If you do end up receiving such food, distribute it amongst your non Muslim servants.

read more

Eating food that is made for Ashoora

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/102885

• Holding Matam ~lamentation and mourning ceremonies in the memory of martyrdom of Sayyidna Husain (ra)

• Muslims should not take part in Matam as Matam is totally against the basic teaching of Islam.

read more

Matam/savagery of the Shia in Muharram is not a part of Islam

http://answersforshiafriend.wordpress.com/2009/12/15/matamsavagery-of-the-shia-in-muharram-is-not-a-part-of-islam/

• Cursing the companions.

• Wearing black clothes and starving and refusing to drink in memory of Husain (ra)

All these are deviant practices which go against the basic teachings of Quran and Prophet Muhammad (saw) He said “He is not from our group who slaps his checks, tears his clothes and cries in the manner of the people of jahiliyyah.” (Sahih Bukhari)

Sayyidna Husain (ra) before his demise advised his beloved sister Sayyidah Zainab (ra), not to mourn over his death in this manner. He said, “My dear sister! I swear upon you that in case I die you shall not tear your clothes, nor scratch your face, nor curse anyone for me or pray for your death.” (Al-Kamil, ibn Kathir vol. 4 pg. 24)

http://javeria.wordpress.com/2008/01/09/muharram-facts-and-misconceptions/

(bismillah)

when i have some time ill go though each and prepare a reply, but as for now, its come to the point, im only 19, i admit fully, that in this last year i have been trying to learn about islam in depth, but already, in my life, ive made the conclusion, that these people are lost beyond doubt. It is pointless to try and debate a cold hearted, person who is less lenient than a brick wall, do not mistake me for saying do not debate with sunnis, generally speaking some are listening and asking sensible questions, to their school of thought, but are being shunned.

Ibn Abbas ra narrated: “When the Prophet came to Medina, he found (the Jews) fasting on the day of Ashura (i.e. 10th of Muharram). They used to say: “this is a great day on which Allah saved Moses and drowned the folk of Pharaoh. Moses observed the fast on this day, as a sign of gratitude to Allah.” The Prophet said, “I am closer to Moses than they.” So, he observed the fast (on that day) and ordered the Muslims to fast on it.

This is enough to refute the whole email. This also gives someone idea that these people have some different Prophet who is getting inspirations from Jews..astagfrullah

and another reply to this email is .....the websites which you have used are those which urge muslims to call Yazeed l.a as r.a and also contain hadiths from Omar bin saad l.a. How one should take anything from the killers of Imam Hussain a.s. Go to Hell along with your father Muawiyah and Yazid.

This is the best reply. I can provide you with images where they have used hadiths narrated by Ibn Saad l.a on islam-qa.com

(salam)

The Sunnis always brag about their love for Ahlul Bayt. They are really good at bragging but not very good at showing their love and support for Ahlul Bayt.

It's depressing that the Shias have to remind everyone that Imam Husayn (as) who was slaughtered on the plains of Karbala :cry: was the Holy Prophet's (pbuh) grandson. He and his brother are leaders for all the men in paradise.

(bismillah)

He (Imam Jaffar) replied: 'The day of Hussain is worse than the other days because the people of the cloak honored by Allah almighty were five, when the prophet passed away, Amirul Mumineen, Fatima, Hassan and Hussain [as] remained behind, they were hence a consolation for the people. When Fatima al-Zahra [as] passed away, Amirul Mumineen , Hassan and Hussain remained as a consolation for the people. When Amirul Mumineen [as] passed away, Hassan and Hussain remained as a consolation for the people. When Hassan [as] passed away, Hussain remained as a consolation for the people. When Hussain [as] was killed no one amongst the people of the cloak remained behind for the people, therefore his departure was tantamount to all of them departing and his existence was tantamount to all of them existing, therefore his day became a great ordeal'.

Al-Hassan bin Fadhal said: 'Abu al-Hassan Ali bin Musa al-Raza [as] said: 'Whoever abandoned seeking to fulfill his needs on the day of Ashura, will have all his needs fulfilled by Allah in this life and the hereafter, and whoever considered the day of Ashura as a day of sadness and mourned and wept, Allah (swt) shall grant him happiness in the heavens via us'.

they should ask the surviving family of dr Israr (LA) what their opinions of getting married on ashura are

they should ask the surviving family of dr Israr (LA) what their opinions of getting married on ashura are

Even though those laeen died when they had that cursed wedding on Ashura, that m'aloon and his followers still have celebrations on the night/day of Ashura.

To the depths of hell with whole lot of them.

(salam)

I saw this letter written on a blog by a ShiaChat sister. She urged the silent majority not to ignore the sacrifice by Imam Hussayn (as), his family and his companions.

This is not a complete letter.

End the Silence on Ashura

It will break my heart if I have to sit through another typical Ashura gathering.

That's why I've decided to write this letter appealing for full disclosure and impartiality from scholars lecturing at most mosques around the world. (Readers, please forward this to a relevant Islamic center near you!)

At many of these commemorations, much time is spent relating how God blessed a string of noble prophets on Ashura, the 10th day of the sacred month of Muharram, as they spread the Divine message on earth. But little to no time is given to discuss the Ashura event that safeguarded this same message from corruption after the era of the prophets came to an end.Respected scholars, I ask you to disseminate the story of Hussain far and wide--not just for the sake of historical truth or inclusiveness--but because it is the sunnah (tradition) of the Prophet (S) and exactly what the world needs right now!

Reading the hadith by Ibn Abbas. It does strike me as unusual that the Holy Prophet (pbuhahp) was unaware of 'Jewish History' . Allah's final Prophet, the Seal of Prophethood. The Prophet who is to deliver Allah's message and lead makind into a new age. And He (pbuhahp) is unaware of the history of the Jews and incorporates their ideas into his religion. Doesnt seem right to me but Allah knows best. I heard from a Shia Alim that the reason is that the 10th Moharram is celebrated is that the Ommayads planted hadiths to celebrate their victory over 'Bani Hashim'. Seems more likely then the Holy Prophet(pbuhahp) learning from the Jews

Ibn Abbas ra narrated: “When the Prophet came to Medina, he found (the Jews) fasting on the day of Ashura (i.e. 10th of Muharram). They used to say: “this is a great day on which Allah saved Moses and drowned the folk of Pharaoh. Moses observed the fast on this day, as a sign of gratitude to Allah.” The Prophet said, “I am closer to Moses than they.” So, he observed the fast (on that day) and ordered the Muslims to fast on it.

This is enough to refute the whole email. This also gives someone idea that these people have some different Prophet who is getting inspirations from Jews..astagfrullah

The hadith maybe fabricated but I don't see any issues with this. The Prophet could've fasted for the sake of unity and historical relevance to Islam, with different intentions (for Allah, not Yahweh).

Salaam alikum and good morning on this sad month of morning for the loss of the youths of paradise and the companions of ahul bayt.

I wanted to post here following on from the thread starter. I was googling, well procrastinating and came across this filthy on the below mentioned nasabi website. It's a refutation that ashura fasting was known before the sacrifice of Imam Hussein (as).

http://forums.islamicawakening.com/f15/ashoora-meant-for-fasting-or-flagellation-31886/index2.html post-19

With regards to challenging such filthy lies by the nasabi ummayad (lanat) lovers, how would one do this. I once came across a brilliant reply on Yahoo replies but never saved the information of the debunking of this.

Dear brothers & sisters,

Our religion is religion of nature, by the grace of Almighty Allah those idiots who fabricated these hadiths always ignored the basics.

This hadith :

Ibn Abbas ra narrated: “When the Prophet came to Medina, he found (the Jews) fasting on the day of Ashura (i.e. 10th of Muharram). They used to say: “This is a great day on which Allah saved Moses and drowned the folk of Pharaoh. Moses observed the fast on this day.......

Ibn Abbas was just four years old when prophet migrated from Mekkah to Maddina .

Moreover, this video has all the replies to fasting on the day of ashura.

Iltamas-e-dua

Please read questions from our side. Regards.

http://www.answering-ansar.org/challenges/20questions/en/index.php

Our 20 questions...

Maulana Ghulam Hussain Na'eemi of Sahiwa'al, Pakistan was a Sunni scholar who after considerable research converted to the Shi'a Ithna Ashari Faith. The rationale for his conversion was that he had questions that he found the Ahlul' Sunnah Ulema could not answer satisfactorily. These are those questions; they remain unanswered to this day. Tragically he was martyred for his beliefs, may Allah (swt) reward him and grant him a place in Paradise. Footnotes have been added for the purposes of further clarity.

History testifies that when Hadhrath Muhammad (saaws) declared his Prophethood (saaws), the Quraysh1 subjected the Bani Hashim to a boycott. Hadhrath Abu Talib (as) took the tribe to an area called Shib Abi Talib where they remained for three years, suffering from immense hardship. Where were Hadhrath Abu Bakr and Hadhrath Umar during that period? They were in Makkah so why did they not help the Holy Prophet (saaws)? If they were unable to join the Prophet (saaws) at the Shib Abi Talib is there any evidence that they provided any type of support (food etc), breaching the agreement that the Quraysh boycott all food / business transactions with Bani Hashim?

1. "the Quraysh gathered together to confer and decided to draw up a document in which they undertook not to marry women from Banu Hashim and the Banu al Muttalib, or to give them women in marriage, or to sell anything to them or buy anything from them. They drew up a written contract to that effect and solemnly pledged themselves to observe it. They then hung up the document in the interior of the Ka'bah to make it even more binding upon themselves. When Quraysh did this, the Banu Hashim and the Banu al-Muttalib joined with 'Abu Talib, went with him to his valley and gathered round him there; but 'Abu Lahab 'Abd al Uzza b. 'Abd al-Muttalib left the Banu Hashim and went with the Quraysh supporting them against 'Abu Talib. This state of affairs continued for two or three years, until the two clans were exhausted, since nothing reached any of them except what was sent secretly by those of the Quraysh who wished to maintain relations with them". (Taken from The History of al-Tabari, Volume 6 page 81 - Muhammad at Mecca, translated by W.Montgommery & M.V. MacDonald).

2. "These days were very hard with them and very often they had to feed on the leaves TALH or plantain" (taken from Siratun Nabi by Shibli Numani Vol 1 p 218, English translation by M. Tayyib Bakhsh Budayuni.

Hadhrath Fatima Zahra (sa) died 6 months after her father (saaws), Hadhrath Abu Bakr died two and a half years later and Hadhrath Umar in 24 Hijri. Despite their later deaths how is it that they attained burial sites next to the Prophet (saaws) and not Hadhrath Fatima (as)? Did she request that she be buried away from her father? If so, why? Or did the Muslims prevent her burial?

(see Sahih al Bukhari Arabic - English Vol 5 hadith number 546).

Amongst the companions Hadhrath Abu Bakr is viewed as the most superior on account of his closeness to the Holy Prophet (saaws). If this is indeed the case then why did the Holy Prophet (saaws) not select him to be his brother when he (saaws) divided the companions in to pairs on the Day of Brotherhood? Rather, the Prophet (saaws) chose Hadhrath Ali (as) saying "You are my brother in this world and the next", so on what basis is Hadhrath Abu Bakr closer?

See The History of the Khalifahs who took the right way, by Jalaladeen Suyuti, English translation by Abdassamad Clarke p177, (Taha publishers)

The books of Ahlul' Sunnah are replete with traditions narrated by Hadhrath Ayesha, Abu Hurraira and Abdullah Ibne Umar. Their narration's; far exceed those relayed by Hadhrath Ali (as), Hadhrath Fatima (sa), Hadhrath Hassan (as) and Hadhrath Hussain (as). Why is this the case? When the Prophet (saaws) declared "I am the City of Knowledge and Ali is it's Gate", did Hadhrath Ali (as) benefit less from the company of the Prophet (saaws) than these individuals?

If Hadhrath Ali (as) had no differences with the first three Khalifa's why did he not participate in any battles that took place during their reigns, particularly when Jihad against the Kuffar is deemed a major duty upon the Muslim? If he did not view it as necessary at that time, then why did he during his own Khilafath whilst in his fifties unsheathe his sword and participate in the battles of Jamal, Sifeen and Naharwan?

If (as is the usual allegation) the Shi'as were responsible for killing Imam Hussain (as) then why did the majority Ahlul'Sunnah not come to his aid? After all they were in the majority, there were millions of such individuals, what was their position at that time?

If Hadhrath Umar was correct when he denied the dying request of the Holy Prophet (saaws) on the premise that the 'Qur'an is sufficient for us' (Sahih al Bukhari Vol 7 hadith number 573) what will be the reward for accusing the Holy Prophet (saaws) of speaking nonsense?

(See Sahih al-Bukhari Vol 5 number 716)

Allah (swt) sent 124,000 Prophet's to guide mankind. Is there any proof that on the deaths of any one of these Prophet's his companions failed to attend his funeral preferring to participate in the selection of his successor? If no such precedent exists then why did the Prophet (saaws)'s companions follow this approach?

"the Sahaba viewed the appointment of the Imam as so important that they preferred it to attending the Prophet's funeral" - taken from Sharh Fiqa Akbar, by Mulla Ali Qari, p 175 (publishers Muhammad Saeed and son, Qur'an Muhall, Karachi).

Of the 124,000 Prophets' that Allah (swt) sent, what evidence is there that they left everything for their followers as Sadaqah (Charity)? If they did, then why did the Prophet (saaws)'s wives not give all their possessions to the Islamic State? After all, Ahl'ul Sunnah consider the wives to be Ahlul'bayt. Sadaqah is haram on the Ahlul'bayt, this being the case why did they hold on to their possessions?

We read in the Holy Qur'an "And whoever kills a believer intentionally, his recompense shall be hell, he shall abide therein and God's wrath (Ghazibullaho) shall be on him and his curse (lanato), and is prepared for him a great torment" (Surah Nisa, v 93) History testifies that during the battles of Sifeen and Jamal 70,800 Muslims lost their lives. What is the position of the killers here? Is this verse not applicable to them? If these individuals opposed the Khalifa of the time and were responsible for spreading fitnah (dissension) and murder, what will be their position on the Day of Judgement?

Allah (swt) tells us in the Holy Qur'an "And of the people of Madina are those who are bent on hypocrisy. You know them not, but we know them". (The Qur'an 9:101). The verse proves the existence of hypocrites during the lifetime of the Prophet (saaws). After the Prophet (saaws)'s death where did they go? Historians record the fact that two groups emerged following the Prophet (saaws)'s demise, Banu Hashim and their supporters, the State and their supporters. Which side did the hypocrites join?

Ahl'ul Sunnah have four principles of law the Qur'an, Sunnah, Ijtihad and Qiyas. Were any of these principles adopted by the parties during their discussions about the Prophet's successor at the Saqifa?

If rejecting a Rightly Guided Khalifa is tantamount to apostasy and rebelling against any khalifa even Yazid ibn Mu'awiya will lead to such persons being raised as betrayers in the next world; what of those individuals who rebelled and fought the fourth rightly guided Khalifa?

This was the verdict of Abdullah Ibn Umar in his defence of Yazid (See Sahih al Bukhari Arabic - English Volume 9 hadith number 127)

It is a basic principle of rationality that if two parties have a dispute both can be wrong, but both can not be right. Applying this to the battles of Jamal and Sifeen, will both the murderers and the murdered be in heaven, because both were right?

The Holy Prophet (saaws) had said "I swear by the one who controls my life that this man (Ali) and his Shi'a shall secure deliverance on the day of resurrection". Do any hadith exist in which the Prophet (saaws) had guaranteed paradise for Imams Abu Hanifa, Malik, Shafi, Hanbal and their followers?

Tafsir Durr al Manthur, by al Hafidh Jalaladeen Suyuti in his commentary of verse 98:7

During her lifetime Hadhrath Ayesha was a severe critic of Hadhrath Uthman, to the point that she advocated his killing. How is it that following his murder, she chose to rebel against Imam Ali (as) on the premise that his killers should be apprehended? Why did she leave Makkah, portray Hadhrath Uthman as a victim and mobilise opposition from Basrah? Was this decision based on her desire to defend Hadhrath Uthman or was it motivated by her animosity towards Hadhrath Ali (as)?

History records that she said the following about Hadhrath Uthman "Kill this old fool (Na'thal), for he is unbeliever", see History of Ibn Athir, v3, p206, Lisan al-Arab, v14, p141, al-Iqd al-Farid, v4, p290 and Sharh Ibn Abi al-Hadid, v16, pp 220-223

If failing to believe in Hadhrath Ayesha is an act of Kufr what opinion should we hold with regards to her killer?

Hadhrath Ayesha was killed by Mu'awiya (Tarikh al Islam, by Najeeb Abadi, Vol 2 p 44)

It is commonly conveyed that the companions were brave, generous, and knowledgeable and spent their time worshipping Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì. If we want to determine their bravery, then let us delve in to history, how many kaffir's did the prominent companion Hadhrath Umar slay during the battles of Badr, Uhud, Khunduq, Khayber and Hunain? How many polytheists did he kill during his own Khilafath? If we wish to determine who is firm against the unbelievers it cannot be that individual who despite the Prophet (saaws)'s order refused to go the Kaffir's prior to the treaty of Hudaiybiya on the grounds that he had no support and instead suggested Hadhrath Uthman go on account of his relationship to the Ummaya clan.

Al Faruq by Allamah Shibli Numani, Volume 1 page 66, English translation by Muhammad Saleem, (Ashraf Publishers)

The Saha Sittah has traditions in which the Holy Prophet (saaws) foretold the coming of twelve khalifa's after him(1). Who are they? We assert that these are the twelve Imams from the Ahlul'bayt. Mulla Ali Qari whilst setting out the Hanafi interpretation of this hadith lists Yazid ibn Mu'awiya as the sixth Khalifa?(2) Was the Holy Prophet (saaws) really referring to such a man? When we also have a hadith that states 'He who dies without giving bayah to an Imam dies the death of one belonging to the days of jahiliyya'(3) then it is imperative that we identify and determine who these twelve khalifa's are.

1. "The affairs of the people will continue to be conducted as long as they are governed by 12 men, he then added from Quraish" (taken from Sahih Muslim, hadith number 4483, English translation by Abdul Hamid Siddiqui).

2. Sharh Fiqa Akbar, by Mulla Ali Qari, p 175 (publishers Muhummud Saeed and son, Qur'an Muhall, Karachi).

3. ibid, page 175

Can anyone change Allah (swt) laws? The Qur'an states quite categorically that no one has that right "And it is not for a believing man or woman that they should have any choice in a matter when Allah and his Messenger have decided a matter; and whoever disobeys Allah and his Messenger; surely strays off a manifest straying". With this verse in mind, why did Hadhrath Umar introduce Tarawih prayers in congregation, three divorce utterances in one sitting and the formula 'Prayer is better than Sleep' in the Fajr Adhan? What right did he have to substitute Allah (swt)'s orders in favour of his own?

Al Faruq by Allamah Shibli Numani, Volume 2 page 338, English translation by Muhammad Saleem, (Ashraf Publishers)