Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Did Hazrat Zaid A.s Ever Claimed Imamat?

(salam)

Nope.. As far as I am aware, the misconception about his claim to imamate arose under these circumstances:

After his death, some felt that he was the rightful successor to his father, rather than his half-brother Muhammad al-Baqir. Those who believe in this line of succession form the Zaidi sect within Shi'a Islam.

Due to the fact that Zaid ibn 'Ali led a rebellion via Jihad against the Umayyad Caliphate, certain Shiites were under the impression that Zaid was claiming imamate for himself and therefore started believing in him as the Imam. This is what developped into the Zaidi sect of Shi'a Islam by his companions.

The Ithna 'Ashari sources do not believe that Zaid claimed imamate for himself. Shaykh Mufid states "However that was not his intention because he knew of the right of his brother, peace be on him, to the Imamate before him, and of his bequest of trusteeship (wasiyya) at his death to Abu 'Abd Allãh (i.e., Jafar as-Sadiq), peace be on him." [4]

There is no evidence in the relationship between Imam Jafar as-Sadiq and Zaid ibn Ali that would demonstrate that Zaid ibn ‘Ali was claiming the Imamate for himself. When Imam Jafar as-Sadiq was informed about Zaid ibn Ali's martyrdom, "he was very sad...and he set apart a thousand dinars of his own money for the families of those of (Zaid's) followers who were killed with him." [5]

source;

http://en.rafed.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3263:zayd-ibn-ali-ibn-al-hussain-as&catid=82:personalities&Itemid=847

• Veteran Member

Waalykumsalam wa RAHMATULLAHI WA BARAKATOH Aabiss Shakiri.

Waalykumsalam wa RAHMATULLAHI WA BARAKATOH Habib e Najjar.

In The Name of Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì, The Most Beneficent, The Most Merciful.

I would greatly agree to Brother Habib's answer. Due to the fact that Hazrat Zaid stood up against the Omayyads, this would be one of the likely reasons why some thought he was claiming to be Imam. It must be noted that in Zaidi beliefs, the Imam must revolt against the oppressors and therefore, perhaps, one of the reasons they did not accept Imam as Sadiq (peace be upon him) is that he was a bit more 'passive'.

INSHALLAH, I have been helpful.

May Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì, bless us all, our families and our loved ones and may He guide us with His Perfect Guidance and may He forgive all our sins for there is neither any refuge nor any respite except in Him, The Forgiver of Sins and the Most Merciful.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

nooooooo i dont think he ever claimed that

we can strongly believe that imam muhammad al baqir (as) is our 5th imam because .......

remember jabir ibn abdullah al ansari (ra) a sahaba of our holy prophet saww words when he saw(in fact heard the foot steps of ) the 5th imam in masjid al nabawi in medina.............

so definetely we are correct

mashaAllah

• Advanced Member

Assalamu alaikum,to all.Imam Ali a.s in last parts of his life give to Imam Hasan a.s Books,and weapons,and told him :"You gave this,to your borother Hussein(as),and he wil gave it to his son Ali(as),and he to his son Muhammed(as).So I'm 100% sure in that Imam Bakir Muhammed ibn Ali alejhissellam was fifth pure Imam of Ahlu-l-Bait a.s

• Advanced Member