Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Blissful

Recurring Nightmares.

Rate this topic

Asalaamu alaykum all. Hope everybody is well.

Does anybody know if there's a reason why one can have recurring nightmares? I'm talking religious reasons.

Is there any statements about them (from hadith or other sources), why they keep coming back and how to get rid of them?

Do they continuously come because of the fact that we may be doing something wrong or are there other explanations?

By recurring I mean, most nights without a fail.

Thanks all in advance.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Sister Blissful, I don't know of any religious reasons per se, but in Psychology we learned about different types of dreams, one of which was recurring. I'll post the information we were given:

Recurring Dreams:

Most dreams contain messages that serve to teach you something about yourself. However, soon after you wake up to go about your daily routine, you tend to quickly forget what you dream about. The message in recurring dreams may be so important and/or powerful that it refuses to go away. The frequent repetition of such dreams forces you to pay attention and confront the dream. It is desperately trying to tell you something. Such dreams are often nightmarish or frightening in their content, which also helps you to take notice and pay attention to them.

Recurring dreams are quite common and are often triggered by a certain life situation, transitional phase in life or a problem that keeps coming back again and again. These dreams may recur daily, once a week, or once a month. Whatever the frequency, there is little variation in the dream content itself. Such dreams may be highlighting a personal weakness, fear, or your inability to cope with something in your life - past or present.
The repetitive patterns in your dream reveal some of the most valuable information about yourself. It may point to a conflict, situation or matter in your waking life that remains unresolved or unsettled. Some urgent underlying message in your unconscious is demanding to be understood.

wsalam,

dreams can be classified into three categories, 1. good dreams (i.e. about the prophet) 2. bad dreams (normally regarded as from satan) 3. dreams from our nafs (which can give u a picture of the state of your health or inner being).

there are many hadith which state that a good dream is a part of the 46 parts of prophethood, and that this is the only part of prophethood which remains on this earth now.

Dreams can act as a window into our souls and as early warnings to how we are living our lives.

evil dreams can occur when eating too much in the evenings so that tiredness and sleep overpowers us, or sleeping without performing ones prayers

Reciting ayah al-kursi is highly recommended and will keep satan away from u until dawn.

Sleeping while in the state of wudu is also strongly recommended as is sleeping on your right side.

To promote good dreams recite surah al falaq and surah al naas

it is recommended not to discuss the content of your bad dreams.

hope this helps

sweet dreams :)

but the sisters recurring thing I don't know, its not pleasant .

it depends which category her dreams fall in. for example, if she is having a recurring dream which could be interpreted as a warning to her to change her ways or she'll be one of the people in the hell fire. then although an unpleasant dream to experience but in reality it is a good dream. If you know what i mean.

bad dreams from satan can be tackled as i mentioned in previous post. important to remember is that in order to benefit and have good dreams we should be aiming to purify ourselves, doing all salat, giving charity, fasting is highly recommended to help attain nearness to Allah swt.

if it a dream from her naffs, she needs to consider it as a warning possibly requiring a lifestyle change or giving up a bad habit.

Inshallah i hope the above surahs and ayahs help.

there is another hadith which says that during the end-times the dreams of a muslim will more than often be true dreams, in other words they are likely to transpire in reality (paraphrased)

hope my last sentence didnt freak you out there

Edited by shabberhaider

(wasalam)

Not sure about religious reasons, but when i faced something like this i recited tasbeeh zahra(s.a) before sleeping and asking her to let me have a peaceful sleep. It worked for me at that time, maybe you can try that. And also making a conscious effort to sleep with wudhu.

Edited by -SeeKeR-

(bismillah)

(salam)

Hey Bliss, mind doing an experiment for me???

U see I never dream at all...or as they say, I dont 'remember them' but anyways.

This is from fawaid - e quran: http://www.al-islam.org/fawaid/2.htm

Surah al-Layl (The night)

There are 21 ayaat in this Surah and it was revealed in Makkah. The holy Prophet (S) has said that the reward of reciting this Surah is so much that the one who recites it will be pleased when he sees it in his Book of Deeds. His inspiration of good deeds (Tawfiq) will also increase.

If recited 15 times before sleeping, one will dream about what pleases him most. Reciting it in the I’sha prayers, carries the reward of completing a quarter of the holy Qur’an and is guaranteed that the prayers are accepted.

So tonight, b4 going to bed, please read sura layl 15 times and tell us what ur dream was about.

Good Luck.

Edited by As7aabul Yameen

(salam)

I know this isn't what you asked, but do this for them to stop, insha'Allah it works.

Recite the 4 Quls before going to sleep

Surah Ikhlas x3

Surah Kafirun x1

Surah Nas x1

Surah Falaq x1

Also Recite Ayatul Kursi

As far as I am aware I haven't had any nightmares at all when reciting them before sleeping, unless I wake up and go back to sleep without reciting them again.

(wasalam)

it depends which category her dreams fall in. for example, if she is having a recurring dream which could be interpreted as a warning to her to change her ways or she'll be one of the people in the hell fire. then although an unpleasant dream to experience but in reality it is a good dream. If you know what i mean.

bad dreams from satan can be tackled as i mentioned in previous post. important to remember is that in order to benefit and have good dreams we should be aiming to purify ourselves, doing all salat, giving charity, fasting is highly recommended to help attain nearness to Allah swt.

if it a dream from her naffs, she needs to consider it as a warning possibly requiring a lifestyle change or giving up a bad habit.

Inshallah i hope the above surahs and ayahs help.

there is another hadith which says that during the end-times the dreams of a muslim will more than often be true dreams, in other words they are likely to transpire in reality (paraphrased)

hope my last sentence didnt freak you out there

nice topic

i guess you have a knowledge about this

i have a kinda same prob can you help me ?

^^

brother shabir only once in my life I had a dream where i saw the future and the exact thing happened later

this was many years ago and over something very stupid,,, i was obsessed with getting a soccer ball (footbal)

they got me one and i was very excited and happy with it . at night i saw hundreds of this specific shape molten ball where its air had been emptied and had been deformed into an oval shape....

the next day i woke up either me or my father left the ball on top of the water heater and it had melted and gotten that exact shape that I saw, It was the exact same deformed shape so there was no way it could have been coincidence

there is only one other event but i remember it vaguely, I think I saw September 11 before it happened two airplanes hit buildings and i even told it to people but this event I dont remember it properly so i didnt rely on it but that ball thing Was as clear as the sun

since then I didnt have any special dreams other than seeing nightmares of tooth falling or different parts of the teeth breaking away and Falling

Also i think once I dreamt of killing a lion lol

Edited by alimohamad40

Salams sister

I used to have nightmares a lot when I was a kid. I asked a medical doctor about it and he told me not to sleep with my head elevated too high above the level of my body. I used to sleep with my pillow folded over twice so my head was raised and this restricts blood flow to the brain and causes a physiological reaction that manifests itself as a nightmare because you are asleep. When I started sleeping with my pillow flat the nightmares went away. Also sleeping on your stomach restricts breathing and could cause physiologically induced nightmares. Also eating certain foods right before sleeping can cause the same thing. If the bad dream was somesort of signal from Allah( swa) then the meaning of the dream would be clear. If the dream is an attack from the shaitan then just do wudu before you go to sleep and then recite tasbih fatima zahra(as) and they won't bother you

Ws Blissful, sorry to read of your sleep disturbance. Can you pin the start of the nightmares to a particular occurance or change? It might help to give some detail if youre comfortable with that. I doubt anyone here is an expert in dream analysis but a fresh perspective can sometimes shed a little light. I did read recently that ppl dream more qhen theyre going through periods of anxiety or depression, in times of worry and uncertainty/upheavel.

teeth breaking or falling out is usually related to worries or stress over money matters

I get this every so often >.< its very common dream apparently. Ive heard it more usually be related to problems with physical health, but from personal experience it can be any kind of stress or anxiety that triggers it. Its always such a relief when you wake up from this dream!! Alhamdullah.

Ws Blissful, sorry to read of your sleep disturbance. Can you pin the start of the nightmares to a particular occurance or change? It might help to give some detail if youre comfortable with that. I doubt anyone here is an expert in dream analysis but a fresh perspective can sometimes shed a little light. I did read recently that ppl dream more qhen theyre going through periods of anxiety or depression, in times of worry and uncertainty/upheavel.

Salam sis.

They're something I've always had. Apart from nightmares sometimes I get the feeling of falling off something just as I'm about to sleep. You'd know what I'm talking about. It's as if you just fell off something or you are being pulled from the feet and you are still slightly awake.

Though if it helps, I have been through alot from childhood till now and many things have happened. More than half the time though, the dreams aren't even related to whatever I've been through and are just random nightmares. I've tried alot of things - doing salah, reading, relaxing, tasbih and not eating just before I sleep - even to the extent of the way I sleep. Abu Hadi was saying not too sleep with your head elevated or on your stomach and I do neither so I don't believe it is a result of something physical in the body. Alhamdulilah I'm healthy body wise.

Edited by Blissful

i can try bro, but seriously my knowledge is poor. But am happy to experiment if your willing :)

ok bro the thing is

i have seen that i am dying by an accident many times even i have seen my dead body wrapped in the white cloth in the coffin

all the people are reciting the funeral dua while carrying my coffin.

and i have seen many other dead bodies also in my dreams i mean my friends dead bodies and all.

ok bro the thing is

i have seen that i am dying by an accident many times even i have seen my dead body wrapped in the white cloth in the coffin

all the people are reciting the funeral dua while carrying my coffin.

and i have seen many other dead bodies also in my dreams i mean my friends dead bodies and all.

I've heard that if you see yourself dying in a dream it's actually good.

Salam sis.

They're something I've always had. Apart from nightmares sometimes I get the feeling of falling off something just as I'm about to sleep. You'd know what I'm talking about. It's as if you just fell off something or you are being pulled from the feet and you are still slightly awake.

Though if it helps, I have been through alot from childhood till now and many things have happened. More than half the time though, the dreams aren't even related to whatever I've been through and are just random nightmares. I've tried alot of things - doing salah, reading, relaxing, tasbih and not eating just before I sleep - even to the extent of the way I sleep. Abu Hadi was saying not too sleep with your head elevated or on your stomach and I do neither so I don't believe it is a result of something physical in the body. Alhamdulilah I'm healthy body wise.

Yes i sometimes get that falling thing >.<

so it isnt the same nightmare? do they have things in common?

One thing you could try is visualising something very peaceful and pleasant before/as you go to sleep and try telling yourself what to dream about. Its strange how things like this sometimes work. Often if i tell myself to say...sleep 2 hours, i will sleep 2 hours and wake up, so i think we can sometimes control our dream states if we believe we can.

Often it seems when ppl try to interpret dreams they look for esoteric meanings and symbolism, but i think the symbolism is quite personal in dreams, like, its your subconscious trying to talk to you, trying to help your conscious. So try thinking of it as something positive, as a part of yourself trying to help yourself understand or resolve something and see how very personally the symbolism may relate to you.

It does seem that certain kinds of dreams or events in dreams are shared by large groups of people though, so maybe other people can help shed some light on the symbolism in your dreams.

Yes i sometimes get that falling thing >.<

so it isnt the same nightmare? do they have things in common?

One thing you could try is visualising something very peaceful and pleasant before/as you go to sleep and try telling yourself what to dream about. Its strange how things like this sometimes work. Often if i tell myself to say...sleep 2 hours, i will sleep 2 hours and wake up, so i think we can sometimes control our dream states if we believe we can.

Often it seems when ppl try to interpret dreams they look for esoteric meanings and symbolism, but i think the symbolism is quite personal in dreams, like, its your subconscious trying to talk to you, trying to help your conscious. So try thinking of it as something positive, as a part of yourself trying to help yourself understand or resolve something and see how very personally the symbolism may relate to you.

It does seem that certain kinds of dreams or events in dreams are shared by large groups of people though, so maybe other people can help shed some light on the symbolism in your dreams.

Nah not all the nightmares are the same.

I actually haven't tried the meditating thing so I guess it's worth to try just incase. Most of the dreams are based on past experiences. The random ones I don't know. I've never reflected on them and seemed to have gained a message from them - maybe it's just because it's not something you would normally do after a nightmare. You would rather forget it. Even just trying to pinpoint one, I can't seem to pick up anything.

Though I will take your advice and try do a couple of things before bed. Thanks sis.

check out this website, inshallah you will find out what your dream means. it has a good search system

http://www.myislamicdream.com

i would be interested in knowing if the interpretations are accurate/relevant

^^

brother shabir only once in my life I had a dream where i saw the future and the exact thing happened later

this was many years ago and over something very stupid,,, i was obsessed with getting a soccer ball (footbal)

they got me one and i was very excited and happy with it . at night i saw hundreds of this specific shape molten ball where its air had been emptied and had been deformed into an oval shape....

the next day i woke up either me or my father left the ball on top of the water heater and it had melted and gotten that exact shape that I saw, It was the exact same deformed shape so there was no way it could have been coincidence

there is only one other event but i remember it vaguely, I think I saw September 11 before it happened two airplanes hit buildings and i even told it to people but this event I dont remember it properly so i didnt rely on it but that ball thing Was as clear as the sun

since then I didnt have any special dreams other than seeing nightmares of tooth falling or different parts of the teeth breaking away and Falling

Also i think once I dreamt of killing a lion lol

there is hadeeth that says during the end times the dreams of a muslim will be true dreams, this means that you will have 'visions' or foresight in to what will transpire.

dreams also make up for imbalances in the brain, somebody desperately wanting something such as ice cream but wasnt allowed any, that person may very well dream of have a good time in an all you can eat ice cream factory, thus the person is satisfied when waking up. May not quite match you ball dream, as that turned out to be a true dream, maybe it was preparing you for what was going to happen to your football??

teeth falling can mean a lot of thigs, such as upper teeth falling can mean a profit is coming your way, tooth falling on your lap can mean a son etc.

the kiling of a lion means the end of all sorrows (not sure how to take this one)

I would visit that link above. Please share your results if you so wish, i did not want to state anything false, misleading, wrongly negative which is why i havent commented on other dreams which have been mentioned here. I think by going through the different meanings inshallah you will know yourself what your dream means.

i think the way to look at it is, if your often having dreams which are true dreams, then mashallah you must be living your life well as this is a blessing from Allah swt

Edited by shabberhaider

seriously, you people want "religious reasons and hadeeths" for every single thing in your lives. why cant you reflect and get your own answers using you own reasoning, it's not that hard really quran shows and says how its easy to do and emphasizes on it almost in every single verse

Might aswell ask for a religious hadeeth and purpose for recurring farts as well. But hey, there is one actually and its SAHEEH too on page six thousand eight hundred and ninety ten of bihaar aldhulumaat. This 'religion' is already turned into a joke so one might as well go with the flowww

OMG mods admins where are you all?! QUICK HURRY UP DELETE THIS POST OPPOSING YOUR VIEWS AND BELIEFS!!!! INSECURE THREAT ALERT

Ouch.

I don't really want to justify myself for a crude post like yours, so either comment nicely - or don't comment at all. I would have told you that I actually agree with you on some level - but I don't like the approach you've taken.

Save yourself from looking like a fool at other people's concerns.

Edited by Blissful

whats wrong with my approach what was in it besides irritated sarcasm do please tell me?

In fact it's your own reply that had an improper approach calling one a fool and to mind their own business for posting what they think through the way they prefer without insulting anyone, and if so then at least not directly as you just did.

Because it's a serious problem - and is recurring. So I don't appreciate sarcasm at something that is quite personal and serious to me.

For the sake of ending conflict - I'm not continuing this discussion anymore.

ive had recurring dreams (bad ones) for years now, but i pray and i havnt had one in a while and InshAllah it will help you as well. I know that there is a book by Imam Jaffar al Sadiq (as) on dream interpretations, but i dont know the name

ive had recurring dreams (bad ones) for years now, but i pray and i havnt had one in a while and InshAllah it will help you as well. I know that there is a book by Imam Jaffar al Sadiq (as) on dream interpretations, but i dont know the name

Let me know if you ever find it out. Inshallah khair.

Were you doing anything in particular that made them cease?