Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
-SeeKeR-

Imran’s Lahore Rally Stuns Opponents

Rate this topic

Doesn't take much to get the Pakistanis excited... :rolleyes:

PTI_Rally_ONPP_2_543x275.jpg

LAHORE: Imran Khan surprised his detractors on Sunday by holding a massive public meeting, described by political observers as one of the biggest rallies held in Lahore over the past two decades. And in a hard-hitting speech he asked the rulers to declare their assets and threatened a civil disobedience movement and a countrywide blockade if they did not do so.

“Declare your assets or face the wrath of people,” the Pakistan Tehrik-i-Insaaf chief roared.

He said declaration of politicians’ assets was necessary for a transparent governance. If politicians did not do so, the PTI would set up a commission to prepare a list of politicians and their assets and take it to court, he said.

Mr Khan laid out his “plan to save the country’ as his supporters, including a large number of youths and women, raised enthusiastic slogans.

Caravans of youths from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa also attended the meeting in the vast Minar-i-Pakistan ground.

Imran Khan said the PTI would never use the army against its own people nor would ever beg for aid. “Jinnah would have

never begged and Imran will rather die than beg,” he said.

Though there was nothing new in the speech or the plan, the large meeting helped his party to maintain the momentum it had built with a series of rallies in Punjab and other areas.

Mr Khan said the PTI would end corruption, declare an education emergency, improve tax collection, pursue an independent foreign policy, bring Balochistan into the mainstream national politics, end the war on terror and protect rights of minorities and women.

He said most of the crises in the country were a result of corruption of the ruling elite.

Once it is taken up by an independent election commission and judiciary, the rest will be easy. “Pakistan is losing over Rs3,000 billion a year in tax corruption. If it can be tapped, the country does not need foreign aid. Once the government wins the confidence of people, economic woes would simply go away.”

Mr Khan said a country that had “over 180 billion tons of coal reserves could not in any way be called an energy starved state”. There is an equally great potential in hydro-electric resources.

“If the PTI can run thermal units even at 70 per cent of their installed capacity, currently running at 25 to 30 per cent, the country will have no energy crisis,” he said.

On foreign policy, he said the focus should be on “independence, not slavery: the PTI will want friendship with everyone, including the Americans, but on the basis of equality. The Americans will be told that Pakistan cannot fight their war and Pakistan Army cannot do its bidding.

“Ties with China will form the cornerstone of PTI’s foreign policy. I am leaving tonight for China at the invitation of the Chinese government and friendship with them will be pursued to the fullest.”

In a bid to dispel a perception of belonging to the ‘ultra right wing’ he said the PTI would “declare an education emergency for women; they will be educated and their right to property will be ensured as enshrined in Islamic laws. The minorities should rest assured that the PTI will stand for them once in power”.

He said drone attacks were part of the problem rather than a solution. “They are feeding terrorism. The PTI believes that they are pushing over one million armed Pakhtuns to the other side of the divide. Once Pakistan quits the US-sponsored war on terror, these one million armed tribal people will take care of militancy and terrorism in their areas. It is simply a matter of making the right choices.”

He said: “The Lahorites are slow to wake up, but once they do, as they are now, they are unstoppable.” He urged the people to “mobilise themselves to save the country”.

He concluded his speech by warning both President Asif Ali Zardari and Pakistan Muslim League-N chief Nawaz Sharif that “change is not only imminent but already under way and the corrupt will not find a place now to hide”.

Edited by -SeeKeR-

I aint bothered man... i just want IMRAN KHAN now..

They have tried so many parties OVER and OVER again and experienced disaster and disloyalty towards the country.. so why not give chance to a NEW Party... if its another disaster.. so what..?! nothing new.. but at least we will have an HONEST leader for some time who may not know as much about politics but will know what is right or wrong.. InshAllah..

TEHREEK-E-INSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAF..! :D

Do you think Imran Khan has a fair chance to compete in Pakistan?

Its difficult to say because most of the support comes from Punjab and from people who probably don't even vote. The second thing is that yeah a lot of people turned out for the rally but they were mostly from urban areas. Most of the Pakistani population lives in rural areas and below the poverty line. The votes of these people usually end up in the boxes of whichever feudal lord is ruling over them.

Some years back when i was in my idealistic mode i volunteered as the transparency officer for PTI in one area, at the time of initial counting they seemed to be leading but when i went back home and saw the results he had lost by a very big margin in that area. So no one knows what really happens, the whole election deal seems like a drama to me. Even democracy in Pakistan is akin to monarchy/dictatorship.

I do not support Imran Khan due to the following reasons. If his leaders satisfactory reply me i shall join that party.

1. Imran Khan is against Drone attacks and says that it is against over freedom but the fact is that only terrorists are killed in these attacks. Yes, there are civil casualties but they are because the terrorists have married here and have organized their families here and do not come out to fight against America and America is their founder also.

2. Imran Khan says that suicide attacks are retaliation of killings of innocent people in drone attacks. It amounts to justification of suicide attacks on innocent civilians. If it is reaction of drone attacks then they should target America not the common people of Paksitan but history shows that they target innocent civilians and do not target or can not target Americans but Imran Khan intentionally ignores the innocent killings of civilians in suicide attacks.

3. Imran Khan says that war against terror is not our war and it started after 9/11. I belong to Shia community and we are the victims of terrorism for more than twenty five years, the time much before 9/11 and the terrorists must be dealt with iran fist and Imran's soft policy can not work for them and it is not their cure.

4. If all the terrorism in the country is by American black water and CIA then why always terrorists of local groups like Lashkar e Jhangvi, Sipah e Sahaba, Taliban etc are arrested and no American is arrested. Iman has no policy against terrorism rather Imran Khan offered government to settle the dispute with Haqani network, this implies that Imran is acting like terrorist's bargaining agent.

5. Imran Khan says that Drone attacks are interference in our integrity and freedom but what about those arab, chechen, uzbik terrorists who are interfering in our matters and using Pakistan as their launching pad to do terrorist activities against other countries and even against Pakistan itself? What these terrorists are doing in our country and are targeting our civilians and brutally murdering them? Does Imran Khan has any answer?

Do you think Imran Khan has a fair chance to compete in Pakistan?

A few seats here and there. Some people who have never voted may do. It is largely an urban, facebook-user phenomenon though. Hardcore vote banks of big parties aren't going to switch their loyalties so easily. Imran's best bet is to give himself and his party enough weight to create 'noise' in an ultimately hung and ineffective parliament. Elections 2013 may well be a preliminary round for Imran's politics but he ain't gaining much.

Its difficult to say because most of the support comes from Punjab and from people who probably don't even vote. The second thing is that yeah a lot of people turned out for the rally but they were mostly from urban areas. Most of the Pakistani population lives in rural areas and below the poverty line. The votes of these people usually end up in the boxes of whichever feudal lord is ruling over them.

Some years back when i was in my idealistic mode i volunteered as the transparency officer for PTI in one area, at the time of initial counting they seemed to be leading but when i went back home and saw the results he had lost by a very big margin in that area. So no one knows what really happens, the whole election deal seems like a drama to me. Even democracy in Pakistan is akin to monarchy/dictatorship.

This sounds pretty depressing. :no:

Is there a way to break free from the feudal economy or political system? Is there a political party or some leader that you can recommend personally?

Edited by Gypsy

That's not true. Imran Khan has a much wider fan following which goes well outside Punjab. But here is the deal, he has wasted 15 years of his political career in Punjab, especially in Lahore. Despite doing all the charity work for Lahoris, he didn't even pickup a single seat from his hometown. It is sucha shame. It is only recently that he started reaching out to people in other cities.

He has a better chance of picking up more seats from other regions. Let's see what happens in the coming elections.

This sounds pretty depressing. :no:

Is there a way to break free from the feudal economy or political system? Is there a political party or some leader that you can recommend personally?

ab quaid sirf altaf.