Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
SD2

Chatroom

Rate this topic

Salam 'Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh

Yesterday I got 50 posts and entered the chatroom and guess what, there were no islamic talks going on and everytime I asked for an islamic topic to be brought up people would brush it off.

I was told if you want to come and joke about come into the chatroom.

Is this ShiaChat or JokeChat .... you are just wasting your time if you are coming online into the chatroom and joking about. For God's sake at least bring up an islamic topic and joke about a bit. In the couple of hours that I was in there yesterday the only time an islamic talk came up was when I asked for a topic and a kind sister asked to know more about muharram. May Allah s.w.t increase her knowledge and wisdom.

I seriously think the Administrators should do something about this, if you want to joke 24/7 then go make your own website and call it ShiaJokes and go talk about God knows what in that chatroom, don't come on this website where people are trying to gain knowledge and turn it into a joke.

I am sorry if it seems harsh but this is a reality.

That is all.

Hmmm.... so U wanna 24/7 Islamic talk???

Salam 'Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh

Yesterday I got 50 posts and entered the chatroom and guess what, there were no islamic talks going on and everytime I asked for an islamic topic to be brought up people would brush it off.

I was told if you want to come and joke about come into the chatroom.

Is this ShiaChat or JokeChat .... you are just wasting your time if you are coming online into the chatroom and joking about. For God's sake at least bring up an islamic topic and joke about a bit. In the couple of hours that I was in there yesterday the only time an islamic talk came up was when I asked for a topic and a kind sister asked to know more about muharram. May Allah s.w.t increase her knowledge and wisdom.

I seriously think the Administrators should do something about this, if you want to joke 24/7 then go make your own website and call it ShiaJokes and go talk about God knows what in that chatroom, don't come on this website where people are trying to gain knowledge and turn it into a joke.

I am sorry if it seems harsh but this is a reality.

That is all.

Sorry to say but check your posts till now and U 'll know how much of your posts are for Islamic topic and how much for General Off Topic Discussions. :)

Sorry to say but I didn't say 100% islamic, I said speak about Islam and joke a little.

Also my total posts are 97 and most posted in Off Topic discussion with 27.

That makes 70 of my posts related to Islam and 27 of them not.

And you are saying that is a bad thing?

Nothing wrong with joking.

Somebody post those ahadith about the Prophet that say that he liked to joke to make people happy.

There is nothing wrong with joking a little, but joking a lot and especially in the chatroom of a website called "ShiaChat" .... what is the point of that chatroom? At least learn something islamic and joke a bit aswell

I, to an extent, agree. For the whole of my time here I have tended to post in the forum rather than enter the chatroom. Every time I have it has just been irrelevant idle conversation about nothing important or even in particular. Conversations rather - many being carried on at the same time. When I tried to divert the discussion toward something more serious, it was very explicitly made clear to me that it was unwanted. If you go into the chatroom and find a friend and wish to have a long talk about films - you can open a private chat with them. Or sign in to MSN. The only time I have seen any serious discussion there is when macisaac came in and some discussion of ahadith (I think) followed.

But I think it has always been like that. So far as I can tell. And there is not overmuch value in complaining about it. There is no standard for the chatroom. No rules concerning content (so far as the tenor or nature of the discussions are concerned). If Shias or the users of Shia Chat broadly want to use their chatroom to play about like a secondary [public] school class when the teacher has momentarily left the room - then I suppose that is what the chatroom is going to be. Fact of life. If you do not like it - there is nothing for it but to stay out of the chatroom.

I think that was Ali's original intention for the site anyway. Somewhere that Shias could talk to other Shias and not necessarily concerning their religion.

^ Yeah I guess you're right Servidor. I just thought it would be more beneficial if the talks were islamic but if the person who created the website want's it like this then we can't change that. I just wish people would not waste their time, even I waste my time, but I'm trying hard to cut down on that.

It's hard to have a serious discussion in a chat room. The nature of chatrooms lends to joking and fooling around.

But is there a need for serious discussion there? We already have plenty of serious discussion here in the forums.

The chatroom is a good place to get to know people personally. That could not be as possible with strict, serious discussions.

But even so, there ARE good Islamic discussions every now and then. For example, yesterday MAFHJ entered the chatroom and owned the Akhbari Dream Team in a discussion about khums.

Baleh, anchenan bood beradar (Yes, that's what it was like, brother)

In conclusion: Don't hate. Appreciate.

It's hard to have a serious discussion in a chat room. The nature of chatrooms lends to joking and fooling around.

But is there a need for serious discussion there? We already have plenty of serious discussion here in the forums.

The chatroom is a good place to get to know people personally. That could not be as possible with strict, serious discussions.

But even so, there ARE good Islamic discussions every now and then. For example, yesterday MAFHJ entered the chatroom and owned the Akhbari Dream Team in a discussion about khums.

In conclusion: Don't hate. Appreciate.

Ok well I guess you guys are right. People can make their own decisions I have given my opinion on it.

^ Yeah I guess you're right Servidor. I just thought it would be more beneficial if the talks were islamic but if the person who created the website want's it like this then we can't change that. I just wish people would not waste their time, even I waste my time, but I'm trying hard to cut down on that.

Whether he wanted it exactly as it is - I cannot say that. But generally, yes. Place for Shias to talk with each other about whatever Shias want to talk about with each other. Ideally though the chatroom would be the forum but live. Doing the same thing we do in the forums but without any delay between contributions. Thoughtful discussion concerning definite topics with interested members. My opinion.

Baradar has since made a good point (Ya Aba! finally a worthwhile feature from the update; I had begun to think all you did was add a "like" function with a poor skin) - about the social aspect. Personally I have seen little of this either. Although - as I have said, I do not go into the chatroom often. And again, I think that was likely a part of Ali's original intention. And there was a time when it was quite important. When I first joined My Space and Facebook were unheard of. Living miles from any Shia Ithna Ashari community - Shia Chat allowed me to make friends and afforded a means to know more, to ask. Others even before me have said similar things about when they joined - how Shia Chat was an immense improvement upon the limited functions they could attend to learn more and meet others.

But we are straying. Even from the social aspect it turns upon how serious or thoughtful the people involved are. Like I said, if they prefer to discuss other things and use the chatroom for other than serious discussion - that is just what is going to be. The users make the chatroom.

(salam)

Are you sure about this? I was in the chat-room yesterday and the day before and I saw heavy Islamic topics being discussed, such as

• Hadith Grading
  • The Quranic verses that can be used in Qunoot

And the day before

- Levels of Isma

• Khulu divorce
  • Phobias
  • Marital relationship

And the day before

Women education in Howza with a sister

Maybe you were in the wrong time or maybe people were taking a break after discussing heavy topics. After all the chat room operate 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Hope you will have an enjoyable time the next time, InshaAllah.

Edited by Zareen

Salam alaikom :)

Welcome to shiachat!

I appreciate the fact that you joined this site for a pure intention : gaining more knowledge.

As a chat mod myself , I agree with you that we shouldn't involve in non-islamic chats with non-mahrams.

The team used to have islamic quizzes each week and other various activities...maybe we should revive this or you can help us organizing activities in the chat-room.

People often go there to relax after a hard day, its okay to have people joking once in a while..but not all the time.

Wasalam

Really? By the "Akhbari Dream Team" you mean Nader and macisaac? I wish I was there.

Nothing wrong with joking.

Somebody post those ahadith about the Prophet that say that he liked to joke to make people happy.

You mean these?

حُمَيْدُ بْنُ زِيَادٍ عَنِ الْحَسَنِ بْنِ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنْ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ الْحَسَنِ الْمِيثَمِيِّ عَنْ عَنْبَسَةَ الْعَابِدِ قَالَ سَمِعْتُ أَبَا عَبْدِ الله (عَلَيهِ السَّلام) يَقُولُ الْمِزَاحُ السِّبَابُ الأصْغَرُ.

Hamid ibn Ziyad has narrated from al-Hassan ibn Muhammad from Ahmad ibnal-Hassan al-Maythami from ‘Anbasah al-‘Abid who has said that I heard abu‘Abd Allah (as) , say the following:

“Joking is a minor form of name-calling"

Source: Al Kafi Volume 2 Page 665

Grading: Muwathaq

دَّةٌ مِنْ أَصْحَابِنَا عَنْ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنِ ابْنِ مَحْبُوبٍ عَنْ سَعْدِ بْنِ أَبِي خَلَفٍ عَنْ أَبِي الْحَسَنِ (عَلَيهِ السَّلام) أَنَّهُ قَالَ فِي وَصِيَّةٍ لَهُ لِبَعْضِ وُلْدِهِ أَوْ قَالَ قَالَ أَبِي لِبَعْضِ وُلْدِهِ إِيَّاكَ وَالْمِزَاحَ فَإِنَّهُ يَذْهَبُ بِنُورِ إِيمَانِكَ وَيَسْتَخِفُّ بِمُرُوءَتِكَ.

A number of our people have narrated from Ahmad ibn Muhammad from ibnMahbub from Sa'd ibn abu Khalaf from abu al-Hassan (as), who has said the following:

“The Imam said in his will to one of his sons or that he said, ‘My father said to one of his sons: “Beware of playing jokes; it eliminates the light of your belief, and decreases your manhood.’”

Grading: Saheeh

لِيُّ بْنُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ عَنْ أَبِيهِ عَنِ ابْنِ أَبِي عُمَيْرٍ عَنْ مَنْصُورٍ عَنْ حَرِيزٍ عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِ الله (عَلَيهِ السَّلام) قَالَ كَثْرَةُ الضَّحِكِ تُمِيتُ الْقَلْبَ وَقَالَ كَثْرَةُ الضَّحِكِ تَمِيثُ الدِّينَ كَمَا يَمِيثُ الْمَاءُ الْمِلْحَ.

Ali ibn Ibrahim has narrated from his father from ibn abu ‘Umayr from Mansur from Hariz from abu ‘Abd Allah (as), who has said the following:

“Much laughing deadens the heart. He has also said, ‘Much laughing melts one’s religion just as water melts salt.’”

Source: Al Kafi Volume 2 Page 664

Grading: Hasan

(wasalam)

Edited by S.hassan

You mean these?

حُمَيْدُ بْنُ زِيَادٍ عَنِ الْحَسَنِ بْنِ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنْ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ الْحَسَنِ الْمِيثَمِيِّ عَنْ عَنْبَسَةَ الْعَابِدِ قَالَ سَمِعْتُ أَبَا عَبْدِ الله (عَلَيهِ السَّلام) يَقُولُ الْمِزَاحُ السِّبَابُ الأصْغَرُ.

Hamid ibn Ziyad has narrated from al-Hassan ibn Muhammad from Ahmad ibnal-Hassan al-Maythami from ‘Anbasah al-‘Abid who has said that I heard abu‘Abd Allah (as) , say the following:

دَّةٌ مِنْ أَصْحَابِنَا عَنْ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنِ ابْنِ مَحْبُوبٍ عَنْ سَعْدِ بْنِ أَبِي خَلَفٍ عَنْ أَبِي الْحَسَنِ (عَلَيهِ السَّلام) أَنَّهُ قَالَ فِي وَصِيَّةٍ لَهُ لِبَعْضِ وُلْدِهِ أَوْ قَالَ قَالَ أَبِي لِبَعْضِ وُلْدِهِ إِيَّاكَ وَالْمِزَاحَ فَإِنَّهُ يَذْهَبُ بِنُورِ إِيمَانِكَ وَيَسْتَخِفُّ بِمُرُوءَتِكَ.

A number of our people have narrated from Ahmad ibn Muhammad from ibnMahbub from Sa'd ibn abu Khalaf from abu al-Hassan (as), who has said the following:

“The Imam said in his will to one of his sons or that he said, ‘My father said to one of his sons: “Beware of playing jokes; it eliminates the light of your belief, and decreases your manhood.’”

لِيُّ بْنُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ عَنْ أَبِيهِ عَنِ ابْنِ أَبِي عُمَيْرٍ عَنْ مَنْصُورٍ عَنْ حَرِيزٍ عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِ الله (عَلَيهِ السَّلام) قَالَ كَثْرَةُ الضَّحِكِ تُمِيتُ الْقَلْبَ وَقَالَ كَثْرَةُ الضَّحِكِ تَمِيثُ الدِّينَ كَمَا يَمِيثُ الْمَاءُ الْمِلْحَ.

Ali ibn Ibrahim has narrated from his father from ibn abu ‘Umayr from Mansur from Hariz from abu ‘Abd Allah (as), who has said the following:

“Much laughing deadens the heart. He has also said, ‘Much laughing melts one’s religion just as water melts salt.’”

(wasalam)

[EDITED - Disrespectful, watch your language]

Edited by Nocturne
inappropriate

Anyhow, to the OP, Zareen pretty much stated it correctly. The chatroom is open 24/7 and the level of decent discussion will vary quite a bit. Sometimes you can get really rigorous in-depth discussion on some more Islamic topic, sometimes you can people just chatting about their day, sometimes you can get a discussion that while interesting isn't particularly religion-based, sometimes you can get people just messing around, and sometimes the chatroom can just be dead. Really quite hit or miss, though after a while by looking at who is in the chatroom at a given time it can sometimes give you an idea of what type of discussion is likely going on.

/\ (rolls eyes)

MAFHJ (no disrespect to him) could say "oh yeah, well my dad can beat up your dad" and baradar might exclaim it an intellectual victory of unmatched proportions.

1) Shut up mac.

[EDITED - We encourage members to be courteous to others, and treat fellow members the way they wish to be treated. Intelligent discourse and freedom of expression is encouraged, as long as it is exercised with responsibility. Insults made against other members on this board are not tolerated, even those made via PM. Warnings will be issued to offending members. ]

You mean these?

Ali ibn Ibrahim has narrated from his father from ibn abu ‘Umayr from Mansur from Hariz from abu ‘Abd Allah (as), who hassaid the following:

(wasalam)

http://www.al-mubin....%20-%20GIFT.pdf

Go to page 64 in the PDF (25 in the book page)

That's why you [EDITED - Member Warned] shouldn't draw conclusions from hadith. When we see some hadith where joking is praised, and others where it is condemned, then it must mean:

1) Some of these hadith are not authentic

2) The Prophet and Aimmah said conflicting things (impossible for us to believe)

3) In these seemingly conflicting hadith, the same thing is not meant by "joke"

You don't know what is meant by joking when it is praised or condemned. You can't take the surface meaning of the hadith and draw conclusions from it when you're [EDITED - Member Warned].

Baradar out

Edited by Nocturne

Anyhow, to the OP, Zareen pretty much stated it correctly. The chatroom is open 24/7 and the level of decent discussion will vary quite a bit. Sometimes you can get really rigorous in-depth discussion on some more Islamic topic, sometimes you can people just chatting about their day, sometimes you can get a discussion that while interesting isn't particularly religion-based, sometimes you can get people just messing around, and sometimes the chatroom can just be dead. Really quite hit or miss, though after a while by looking at who is in the chatroom at a given time it can sometimes give you an idea of what type of discussion is likely going on.

More like, if you know who's in the chatroom at the time you'll know who's going to come in...

Edited by Nocturne
inappropriate

I don't even remember our discussion yesterday about khums being a debate so I'm not sure what baradar is going on about...

1) Shut up mac.

[EDITED]

[EDITED]

[EDITED]

This to me (as I was discussing with the OP yesterday in the chat) is a much bigger problem on the site. The seeming inability of some to disagree without having to resort to hostility and name calling.

Edited by Nocturne

I don't even remember our discussion yesterday about khums being a debate so I'm not sure what baradar is going on about...

This to me (as I was discussing with the OP yesterday in the chat) is a much bigger problem on the site. The seeming inability of some to disagree without having to resort to hostility and name calling.

Yeah it's fine for jasim_al_karrar (S.hassan) to make up fake stories of revised hezbollahi Qurans and to (in his words) put the Sayyed's head on a platter, but somebody calling yall retards? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, unacceptable!

Yeah it's fine for jasim_al_karrar (S.hassan) to make up fake stories of revised hezbollahi Qurans and to (in his words) put the Sayyed's head on a platter, but somebody calling yall retards? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, unacceptable!

You loved those verses, I bet you recite them on your way to the mosque (or whatever you people call it).

(salam)

Are you sure about this? I was in the chat-room yesterday and the day before and I saw heavy Islamic topics being discussed, such as

• Hadith Grading

And the day before

- Levels of Isma

• Khulu divorce
  • Phobias
  • Marital relationship

And the day before

Maybe you were in the wrong time or maybe people were taking a break after discussing heavy topics. After all the chat room operate 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Hope you will have an enjoyable time the next time, InshaAllah.

I think me and my cousin hijacked the chatroom at the time :donno:

I think alot of you missed the part where I said have an islamic discussion but JOKE ABOUT ASWELL.

Number 1. Would the chatroom having Islamic talks benefit me or benefit everyone?

Number 2. Would the chatroom having Islamic talks help you remember Allah s.w.t or by sitting and joking about all day?

Number 3. Some people read my topic and assumed I said NO JOKING ... go read it again.

Man. Why so serious?

Maybe its Shaytaan, he seems to have a grip on me lately.

I find it strange how I am trying to ask why in the chatroom we don't remember Allah s.w.t and we talk about other stuff and I get taken the mick out of.

May Allah s.w.t forgive me for suggesting remembering him whilst in the chatroom......

(salam)

• Hadith Grading

And the day before

- Levels of Isma

• Khulu divorce
  • Phobias
  • Marital relationship

And the day before

Can I ask how long did these chats go on for? I'm guessing not that long. At least it's something.

Edited by WhySoSerious?

[Note from Mod: This topic has been moved to the Off-topic forum. Please remember to post topics in the appropriate forums] [Auto]

Sorry, I thought it was an appropriate place to post it. Will be more careful next time :)