Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Reshad

Should Iran Bring Back The Lion And Sun Emblem?

Rate this topic

Contrary to what anti- Islamic iranian nationalists say, the old standard of Iran, the Lion and Sun, does actually have an Islamic background. The Lion stands for Ali, the sword it is holding is the zulfiqar, and the sun represents the light of God.

Also contrary to what the Islamic republic sais, the emblem is not a symbol of Pahlavi regime , secularism,corruption, or foreign influence. The standard was in use in Iran way before the Pahlavis even came to power.. It was first used as far back as the Safavids and became the flag of the Qajar dynasty. It was also used by the Mughals in India and some of the Turkic states.

So should Iran bring back this emblem as its coat of arms? if not the actual flag itself.I know this is a small, and by comparison of all the other bigger issues going on right now It has alot of historical value and is a matter of national pride , and in my opinion, is a very powerful and unique symbol of Iran.

Up to Iranians, they are a democratic country, and can hold a referendum about it. Although I think they should create new symbols and look forward and not look backwards. You know these symbols have strong symbolic impact on general direction of country and it's ppl.

I agree, though, I am not sure weather or not this law is still in action, but it is forbidden by the government to use this symbol in public in Iran.

Contrary to what anti- Islamic iranian nationalists say, the old standard of Iran, the Lion and Sun, does actually have an Islamic background. The Lion stands for Ali, the sword it is holding is the zulfiqar, and the sun represents the light of God.

Also contrary to what the Islamic republic sais, the emblem is not a symbol of Pahlavi regime , secularism,corruption, or foreign influence. The standard was in use in Iran way before the Pahlavis even came to power.. It was first used as far back as the Safavids and became the flag of the Qajar dynasty. It was also used by the Mughals in India and some of the Turkic states.

So should Iran bring back this emblem as its coat of arms? if not the actual flag itself.I know this is a small, and by comparison of all the other bigger issues going on right now It has alot of historical value and is a matter of national pride , and in my opinion, is a very powerful and unique symbol of Iran.

(salam) (bismillah)

Great story, will tell to grandchildren.

It was first used as far back as the Safavids and became the flag of the Qajar dynasty.

(bismillah)

(salam)

My answer is No. The last time I thought about the Safavids and the Qajars, I remembered that they were shahs or kings. Nobody wants to use their old flags. What is wrong with the beautiful revolutionary flag that the Islamic Republic of Iran has now? It was designed after the shah Pahlavi was overthrown. Power to the people. :)

(bismillah)

(salam)

My answer is No. The last time I thought about the Safavids and the Qajars, I remembered that they were shahs or kings. Nobody wants to use their old flags. What is wrong with the beautiful revolutionary flag that the Islamic Republic of Iran has now? It was designed after the shah Pahlavi was overthrown. Power to the people. :)

Agreed!

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته - Peace be upon you as well as Allah's Mercy and Blessings...

و لصلاة و السلام على خير خلق الله و حبيب قلوبنا، الرسول محمد، و آله الطيبين الطاهرين - And may the Prayers and Peace be upon the Best of Allah's Creations, the beloved of our hearts, the Messenger Muhammad as well as his Generous and Pure Family...

و لعنة الله الدائمة على أعداءهم و ظالميهم و التابعين على ذلك من الأولين إلى الآخرين - And may the permanent curse of Allah be upon their enemies and their oppressors and those who follow the trend from the first ones to the last ones...

Even though i'm not iranian, and i'm no defender of Iranian Politics, i think that the "Allah" emblem is really beautifully crafted and if i would propose something, it would be to color it "yellow" to remember the kurdish people of iran (which is a part of the iranian people).

و عليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته - And upon you be Peace as well as Allah's Mercy and Blessings...

Regardless of the origins of the symbol, TODAY it has been chosen as a rallying cry of Shahollahis and other deviants. This makes the symbol belong to them now. Although, it would be fun to tell them about this Imam Ali stuff to make them depressed.

Besides, Iran currently has the most beautiful flag ever conceived.

istockphoto_4579176-flag-of-iran.jpg

Denotation is one thing.

But connotation also must be accounted for. Doesn't really matter where it came from or original intent. There is how it has generally come to be understood.

Salam

wow, it seems that you all uninamously dont want the old flag back..... most Iranians outside of Iran, especially the U.S use the old flag, but im not sure about the situation in Iran

We dont need to change any flag just cuz some jahil people in US is doing it, does people do not accept Islam and the storie about the lion stands for Ali, the sword it is holding is the zulfiqar, and the sun represents the light of God is propaganda....It make me sick, like the so called sheikh they bring on tv in suit and ties no imama to make tafsir on the holy Quran

Ws

Yes, by God !! Iran might as well bring back the old majoosi flag and get back to their old Persian identity for the Sassanids and Safawis that they are !! And they should completely withdraw from Arab politics and interfering in Arab countries while they're at them. Turn back the clock to 1978 !!

Wow showing your racist ideology, Iran is not "interfering" in Arab countries. Iran is a Muslim nation that works with the Muslim Ummah. Also many people in pre-Islamic Iraq who would have been considered Arab had converted to and adopted Zoroastrianism under the Sassanids influences before the arrival of Islam. Then they later reverted to Islam. Zoroastrians are people of the book (like Jews and Christians) and are to be respected.

Edited by Basra

The Arab flags all look too similar, it's hard to tell them apart sometimes.

Also look at the "proposed" Iraqi flag back in 2004. It was hated so badly nobody mentions it anymore.

220px-Proposed_flag_of_Iraq_(Coalition_Provisional_Authority%2C_2004).svg.png

Someone really thought this would fly?

The current Iraqi flag is much improved although still cant compare with Iran's flag.

http://upload.wikime...lag_of_Iraq.svg

How can a flag that was designed under a puppet regime during a foreign occupation be "much improved" ? And what did they change ? They just changed the font of Takbeer because it was in Saddam;s handwriting.

And do you know what the 3 stars stand for ? they stand for IRAQ EGYPT SYRIA, :wub: the 3 most progressive Arab nations and the 3 founts of Pan-Arabism.

Also look at the "proposed" Iraqi flag back in 2004. It was hated so badly nobody mentions it anymore.

Yes, most Arab flags incorporate the Pan-Arab colors - Black, White, Red and Green.

The proposed Iraqi flag just shows the Zionist backing for the Iraqi occupation and hence the Zionist backing for the current Iraqi Government.

Edited by Professor Higgins

Yes, most Arab flags incorporate the Pan-Arab colors - Black, White, Red and Green.

Who cares?

Pan-Arabism is colonial lemonade.

Why didn't I see this thread before :o To be honest I don't mind either flag however I honestly don't see the reason why it had to be changed in the first place! Once I remember having the old flag as my picture on msn (ages ago) and some hardcore pro IRI girl told me ' why do you have that pic, it's zedde engelab'. I don't remember my respose to that. I hate the fact that because you admire the flag or like the symbols etc you're automatically accussed of being zedde engelab or jumhuriye eslami.

Libya's rebels adopted the old monarchy flag. What was their problem with Ghaddafi's plain green flag?

Because flags represent certain eras and its people. That's their function.

The lion and sun emblem flag represented the monarchy. It had to go. You shouldn't be surprised.

Why didn't I see this thread before :o To be honest I don't mind either flag however I honestly don't see the reason why it had to be changed in the first place! Once I remember having the old flag as my picture on msn (ages ago) and some hardcore pro IRI girl told me ' why do you have that pic, it's zedde engelab'. I don't remember my respose to that. I hate the fact that because you admire the flag or like the symbols etc you're automatically accussed of being zedde engelab or jumhuriye eslami.

Any reason as to why it had to be changed? Uhh......why would you want to share the same culture, values, and ideals, as the previous regime you oppose?

People think flags are just flags (can be used anytime, anywhere, in any situation). This is simply not so. A flag is a symbol.........a symbol represents MORE than itself (culture, values, ideals of the people). So to a degree it would look ridiculous to share the same flag as those monarchs which represents ideas incompatible with Iran's people.

I also think it's silly to have animals on flags IMHO. Whether it's the American Eagle, the Russian Bear, or the Persian Lion.......it seems very imperialistic. These animals are predators and would probably misrepresent Iran. A lion and a sword seems less Islamic than a brief symbol that represents Allah. Our dear Imams may have had different intentions for such flags, but I'm certainly glad a change of flags definitely took place to distance ourselves from our ruthless kings.

Just my two cents.

Edited by ShiaBen

Why are people offended by the swastika? Isn't it an ancient Indian symbol?

Why can't I fly a confederate flag? It just stands for southern pride!

Why did Iraq take Saddam's handwritten takbir off of their flag? Pan-Arabism lives!

Take a look at the company you are in, Hawraa.

The flag of the Islamic Republic is perfect. It is also the most poetic flag in the world.

The green symbolizes the greenness of the country (our country isn't that green but we like to think it is), the white symbolizes peace, and the red symbolizes martyrdom.

Allaho akbar is written 22 times on the flag (11 times between the white stripe and the green, 11 times between the white stripe and the red), symbolizing the 22nd day of Bahman (the day of the triumph of the revolution).

But the best part is the artistic genius of the center of the flag: Allah.

It is shaped like a red tulip (the flower of martyrdom, in the color of blood), but also a sword. It is perfectly symmetrical; symbolizing equality, and balance in foreign policy (i.e. "neither East nor West").

The flag is itself a dhikr of God!

But stick with the other flag Hawraa, it suits you.

How can a flag that was designed under a puppet regime during a foreign occupation be "much improved" ? And what did they change ? They just changed the font of Takbeer because it was in Saddam;s handwriting.

And do you know what the 3 stars stand for ? they stand for IRAQ EGYPT SYRIA, :wub: the 3 most progressive Arab nations and the 3 founts of Pan-Arabism.

The proposed Iraqi flag just shows the Zionist backing for the Iraqi occupation and hence the Zionist backing for the current Iraqi Government.

Arab nationalism is a faliure dont you get it!!!!! hate to break it to you, but none of those countries are even close to progressive, they are all failed states that were created when Britain and France drew lines in the sand. I dont understand why you are so proud of them.... If you havent noticed, they are the most corrupt and econmomicly backwords countires in the Middle east... not to mention that Arab nationalists have lost every single war this century, be it with Iran, Israel, or U.S.A.

Libya's rebels adopted the old monarchy flag. What was their problem with Ghaddafi's plain green flag?

Because flags represent certain eras and its people. That's their function.

The lion and sun emblem flag represented the monarchy. It had to go. You shouldn't be surprised.

Because the green flag was BORING... i mean, who would honestly want to have a green rectangle represent their country?

looks better than the Arab nationalist flag, but shouldnt they make it more symetrical by placing another band of color on the top ?