Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Thinking Of Death Made Cry Uncontrollably

Rate this topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD4iBq_U088 ---- go to 13:40

I was watching this tribute to a man called, by his stage name, 'uncle frank' who died recently, aged 77. He was actually the real uncle of the presenter of the chatshow. Watch it and tell me how you feel.

Anyway, after watching the video, i felt an overwhelming sense of grief and i couldn't hold my tears back. I'm not usual the one that gets too emotional, but this just got to me. It was a real wake up call and reality check. It jabbed my inner conscience. I literally had to go to the restroom and wash down my tears. I realized how short and petty this life is, how volatile it is and how abrupt a conclusion it is. I remembered my sins, at the same time thinking of how much i have to prepare for the hereafter. I remembered how the martyrs of Kerbala strove for the truth and how i must follow their example and strive to reach my true destiny, with the pleasure of Allah and Ahlul Bayt (as). I understand why ahlul bayt (as) always tell us to keep death in front of us, because it keeps us grounded and alert.

I felt sorry for the showhost and shocked for uncle frank. He was a lively, funny, nice guy. I wonder how God will judge him. How will God judge me? I realized i have to make some rectifications in my life. Later on in life, we will all see our close relatives and family pass away but we have to deal with it and take lessons from it to reach felicity.

I still feel emotional.

I have a question regarding this verse of the Quran:

13:28] Who have believed and whose hearts have rest in the remembrance of Allah. Verily in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest!

Does rememberance of death constitute a form of rememberance of Allah?

Thanks.

Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD4iBq_U088

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD4iBq_U088

Sorry, i can't post the link on for some reason..

Go to Youtube and type in "Jimmy Kimmel's Tribute to Uncle Frank " --- go to 13:40

I watched the eulogy. Uncle Frank seems like an interesting guy.

Who can make 400 friends after 70? Really remarkable.

Thanks for watching it. Yh, it's amazing, but he was a regular on Jimmy Kimmel and had an interesting personality so it makes sense.I think Jimmy's eulogy got to me, his emotions were so pure and real.

• Veteran Member

Ive heard of jimmy kimmel but never seen it so notaware of uncle Frank before. He seems like quite a character and a sweet man =) It made me smile because it sounds like he made the most of life and had a blessed life.

• 10 months later...

"So now, surely this world has turned its back and announced its departure while the next world has appeared forward and proclaimed its approach. Today is the day of preparation while tomorrow is the day of race. The place to proceed to is Paradise while the place of doom is Hell. Is there no one to offer repentance over his faults before his death? Or is there no one to perform virtuous acts before the day of trial?

Beware, surely you are in the days of hopes behind which stands death. Whoever acts during the days of his hope before approach of his death, his action would benefit him and his death would not harm him. But he who fails to act during the period of hope before the approach of death his action is a loss and his death is a harm to him. Beware, and act during a period of attraction just as you act during a period of dread. Beware, surely I have not seen a coveter for Paradise asleep nor a dreader from Hell to be asleep. Beware, he whom right does not benefit must suffer the harm of the wrong, and he whom guidance does not keep firm will be led away by misguidance towards destruction.

Beware, you have been ordered insistently to march and been guided how to provide for the journey. Surely the most frightening thing which I am afraid of about you is to follow desires and to widen the hopes. Provide for yourself from this world what would save you tomorrow (on the Day of Judgement)."

- Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib

Nahj al-Balagha, Sermon 28

"Then there remain a few people in whose case the remembrance of their return (to Allah on Doomsday) keeps their eyes bent, and the fear of resurrection moves their tears. Some of them are scared away (from the world) and dispersed; some are frightened and subdued; some are quiet as if muzzled; some are praying sincerely, some are grief-stricken and pain-ridden whom fear has confined to namelessness and disgrace has shrouded them, so they are in (the sea of) bitter water, their mouths are closed and their hearts are bruised. They preached till they were tired, they were oppressed till they were disgraced and they were killed till they remained few in number.

The world in your eyes should be smaller than the bark of acacia and the clippings of wool. Seek instruction from those who preceded you before those who follow you take instruction from you, and keep aloof from it realising its evil because it cuts off even from those who were more attached to it than you."

- Nahj al-Balagha, Sermon 32

You can read the Nahj al-Balagha here if you'd like.

• Advanced Member

This nasheed 'Last Breath' by Ahmed Bukhatir sends chills right down to my spine, it talks about people who only have one more breath left in their body and then they die away.

I strongly recommend to hear this to get a wake up call before it is to late!

Edited by GreyMatter

• Advanced Member

"Seek Allah’s help with patience and prayer. It is indeed hard, except for those who are humble. Who bear in mind that they will meet their Lord and that they are to return to Him."

(Qur'an Al-Baqarah 2:45-46)