Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Who Was The Father Of Ibrahim?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Authentic hadith in our book al-Kafi explicity states Azar as father of Prophet Ibrahim (as). . .

علي بن إبراهيم، عن أبيه، عن ابن أبي عمير، عن هشام بن سالم، عن أبي أيوب الخزاز، عن أبصير، عن أبي عبدالله (ع): أن آزر أبا إبراهيم (ع) كان منجما لنمرود ولم يكن يصدر إلا عن أمره فنظر ليلة في النجوم فاصبح وهويقول لنمرود: لقد رأيت عجبا، قال: وما هو؟ قال: رأيت مولودا يولد في أرضنا يكون هلاكنا على يديه ولا يلبث إلا قليلا حتى يحمل به،

. . .

w/s

• Advanced Member

Alsalam alikum,

Actually, Azar was not a father of the prophet Ibrahim(as), he was his uncle.

I found a good answer for this, but unfortunately it is in Arabic, I hope that you can read Arabic.

السؤال : هل كان أبو النبي إبراهيم عليه السلام كافراً ؟

الجواب: من سماحة الشيخ محمّد السند

آزر الذي تذكره سورة الأنعام ومريم وغيرهما من السور لم يكن والداً لإبراهيم عليه السلام ، وإن اطلق عليه في حواره معه : يا ابت ، والقرينة على ذلك كما ذكر العلامة الطباطبائي ( قده ) في تفسيره : أولاً : إنّ إبراهيم عليه السلام في آخر دعائه بمكة قريب أواخر عمره الشريف أي بعدما هاجر إلى الأرض المقدسة ، وولد له الأولاد ، واسكن إسماعيل وهاجر مكة قال : { رَبَّنَا اغْفِرْ لِي وَلِوَالِدَيَّ وَلِلْمُؤْمِنِينَ يَوْمَ يَقُومُ الْحِسَابُ } سورة إبراهيم عليه السلام / 41 ، مع إنّ إبراهيم لما وعد أباه آزر بالمغفرة أي الاستغفار تبرأ منه بعد ذلك ، لما تبين له أنّه عدو لله ، فلا يعود ويستغفر له في آخر عمره ، ممّا يدل على أنّ الوالد أخص من الأب في الاستعمال ، وهو يغاير آزر .

ثانياً : قوله تعالى : { أَمْ كُنتُمْ شُهَدَاءَ إِذْ حَضَرَ يَعْقُوبَ الْمَوْتُ إِذْ قَالَ لِبَنِيهِ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ مِنْ بَعْدِي قَالُوا نَعْبُدُ إِلَهَكَ وَإِلَهَ آبَائِكَ إِبْرَاهِيمَ وَإِسْمَاعِيلَ وَإِسْحَاقَ إِلَهًا وَاحِدًا وَنَحْنُ لَهُ مُسْلِمُونَ } سورة البقرة / 133 ، فاطلق ولد يعقوب على إسماعيل الأبوة مع أنّه عمهم .

وقد ورد في الحديث : « الآباء ثلاثة أب ولّدك ، وأب علمك ، وأب زوّجك » .

• Veteran Member

Authentic hadith in our book al-Kafi explicity states Azar as father of Prophet Ibrahim (as). . .

علي بن إبراهيم، عن أبيه، عن ابن أبي عمير، عن هشام بن سالم، عن أبي أيوب الخزاز، عن أبصير، عن أبي عبدالله (ع): أن آزر أبا إبراهيم (ع) كان منجما لنمرود ولم يكن يصدر إلا عن أمره فنظر ليلة في النجوم فاصبح وهويقول لنمرود: لقد رأيت عجبا، قال: وما هو؟ قال: رأيت مولودا يولد في أرضنا يكون هلاكنا على يديه ولا يلبث إلا قليلا حتى يحمل به،

. . .

w/s

(salam)

Are there any narrations that speak of the chain from nabi Adam (a) to Rasulullah (s) as all being believers in Allah (swt) ? Or did this notion evolve over time?

(i can't speak arabic, so if you have time to post a reply, could you summarize it in english please, thanks)

also, how can you be sure with such ahadith that they were not said in taqiyyah in order to go along with the sunni view?

ws

Edited by Ali_Hussain

. . .

w/s

He is already called Ibrahim's ab in the Quran, so you can't really use that narration to prove either way.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

(i can't speak arabic, so if you have time to post a reply, could you summarize it in english please, thanks)

Wa alikum alsalam

I will try to translate it as much as I can.

Question: Was the father of Abrahim peace be upon him an infidel?

Answer: Sheikh Mohammed Sind.

Azar, who was mentioned in some chapters of Holy Quran, was not the father of the prophet Ibrahim(as), even if he called him father in his dialouge with him.

The evidense on this is as Allamah Muhammad Hussain Tabatabai in his tafseer(Al-Mizan):

First, Abrahim(as) in the last supplication in Mecca recently late-old any after he emigrated to the Holy Land, and born to him children, and brought Ishmael and Hagar to live in Mecca said:

Allah(swt) said in his great book: ( Our Lord, forgive me and my parents and the believers the Day the account is established) Surah Abrahim 41.

Although Ibrahim(as) promised his father Azar to ask Allah(swt) for forgiveness, then he disowned him when he knew that Azar was an enemy to Allahسبحانه وتعالى, and would not go back to ask for forgiveness for his uncle in his last days.

, which indicates that the parent specifically in the use of the father, and he wasn't Azar.

Second: Allah(swt) said in his great book: (Or were you witnesses when death approached Jacob, when he said to his sons, "What will you worship after me?" They said, "We will worship your God and the God of your fathers, Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac - one God. And we are Muslims [in submission] to Him." Surah Albaqra 133. Jacob's sons was considered the father of Ishmael although he was their uncle.

Third: it said in hadeeth:

Fathers are three: Fathers who you are born to, a father who brought you up, afather who helped you to get married.

Sorry, if you couldn't get the meaning well, thanks for my friend who corrected my mistakes.

I hope this helps,

Edited by Zahra1
  • Advanced Member

I asked the Office of Ayatollah Alhakeem, and this was the response I had received:

In the name of Allah, the most gracious, the most merciful and praise to Him

With our apology for the delay..

It is known between the verdicts of our scholar that Azar is not the father of Ibrahim. He is his uncle or his grandfather – from the mother's side. They mentioned that he was addressed as his father as the Arabs use this expression to refer the person who raised the son. A scholar by the name of Zajjaj stated that there is no dispute in the opinions of the scholars of linage that the name of the father of Ibrahim is Tarikh and not Azar and that Tarikh is the name of Ibrahim in the Torah as well.

In addition to all of that, our scholars unanimously - in their interpretation to the texts and narrations – stated that the fathers of the prophet were believers in monotheism. Contemporary scholars interpret verse 26:219 from the holy book to the idea that the messenger of Allah's creation semen was transferred from a worshipper to almighty Allah by prostration to another starting from Adam and it is known that Ibrahim is part of the chain of linage of the messenger of Allah so Ibrahim's father cannot be but a believer

May Allah guide you to please Him.

• Veteran Member

Wa alikum alsalam

I will try to translate it as much as I can.

Question: Was the father of Abrahim peace be upon him an infidel?

Answer: Sheikh Mohammed Sind.

Azar, who was mentioned in some chapters of Holy Quran, was not the father of the prophet Ibrahim(as), even if he called him father in his dialouge with him.

The evidense on this is as Allamah Muhammad Hussain Tabatabai in his tafseer(Al-Mizan):

First, Abrahim(as) in the last supplication in Mecca recently late-old any after he emigrated to the Holy Land, and born to him children, and brought Ishmael and Hagar to live in Mecca said:

Allah(swt) said in his great book: ( Our Lord, forgive me and my parents and the believers the Day the account is established) Surah Abrahim 41.

Although Ibrahim(as) promised his father Azar to ask Allah(swt) for forgiveness, then he disowned him when he knew that Azar was an enemy to Allahسبحانه وتعالى, and would not go back to ask for forgiveness for his uncle in his last days.

, which indicates that the parent specifically in the use of the father, and he wasn't Azar.

Second: Allah(swt) said in his great book: (Or were you witnesses when death approached Jacob, when he said to his sons, "What will you worship after me?" They said, "We will worship your God and the God of your fathers, Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac - one God. And we are Muslims [in submission] to Him." Surah Albaqra 133. Jacob's sons was considered the father of Ishmael although he was their uncle.

Third: it said in hadeeth:

Fathers are three: Fathers who you are born to, a father who brought you up, afather who helped you to get married.

Sorry, if you couldn't get the meaning well, thanks for my friend who corrected my mistakes.

I hope this helps,

(salam)

Its pretty similar to what is in peshawar nights, if i recall correctly. I had never really heard that in shi’a sources, Azar was considered to be nabi Ibrahim’s biological father, so I was more interested in the reasons behind the hadith.

But thanks for the translation

ws

Edited by Ali_Hussain