Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Abu Lulu

Benefit For Punishing Homosexuals

Rate this topic

Well, here is my two cents, for what it's worth.

Let me preface this with saying that I believe that people are born gay, I don't think it's learned or that it's something you can "catch". This belief has developed over years of knowing men who are gay and asking them really annoying and intrusive questions :). I also want to state that I don't follow any prescribed religion so if I've got my understandings mixed up that's why.

Now, I'm not 100% sure of the Islamic belief, but as far as I know in Christianity people usually say that children are gifts from God. So if we are following the line that you are born gay and a gift from God it would stand to reason that either A) God really messed up, or B) God made you the way you were supposed to be.

Again, not sure of the Islamic doctrine here, but in other religions it is a sin to lie. To yourself, to others, to God. So if you were born gay and choose not to act on your nature, isn't that basically lying to yourself, to others and to God? So it seems to me that you are darned if you do and darned if you don't as either way you are sinning your way through life.

Well, here is my two cents, for what it's worth.

Let me preface this with saying that I believe that people are born gay, I don't think it's learned or that it's something you can "catch". This belief has developed over years of knowing men who are gay and asking them really annoying and intrusive questions :). I also want to state that I don't follow any prescribed religion so if I've got my understandings mixed up that's why.

I also tend to believe that some people are probably born with a mental condition that makes them attracted to members of the same sex while having absolutely no attraction to members of the opposite sex, just as many other people are born with other mental disfunctions (this is just a hunch mind you, and it would still need to be scientifically verified). Most other people have at least some attraction for members of the opposite sex, even if it may not be as strong as for members of the same sex (the reasons may vary). The simplify things as 'gay' vs 'straight' is unhelpful and a fairly modern development.

It would seem to be to improbable that nobody chooses to be 'gay'. There have been many cultures (for example Ancient Greece) where homosexual relationships were extremely common (often between a man and a younger boy). If your attraction to members of the same sex is purely inate then how could such a practice have been so widespread? There is also the famous example of otherwise straight men who engage in homosexual behaviour while in prison.

Now, I'm not 100% sure of the Islamic belief, but as far as I know in Christianity people usually say that children are gifts from God. So if we are following the line that you are born gay and a gift from God it would stand to reason that either A) God really messed up, or B) God made you the way you were supposed to be.

Again, not sure of the Islamic doctrine here, but in other religions it is a sin to lie. To yourself, to others, to God. So if you were born gay and choose not to act on your nature, isn't that basically lying to yourself, to others and to God? So it seems to me that you are darned if you do and darned if you don't as either way you are sinning your way through life.

Ok, and what about if you are born with homocidal tendencies, or pedophilic tendencies? Why shouldn't you be able to act on those if that is the way God made you?

Both Christianity and Islam are clear that act on homosexual desires is an abomination, and there is no real way around it. To have these desires is not a sin, but to act on them absolutely is. Now, since most people do at least have some attraction for members of the opposite sex, this does not mean that they have condemned to a sexless life. As I'm sure you know, many people life perfectly normal lives for decades, having a wife and children, before deciding to have a homosexual affair. Many exclusively 'gay' people will also admit to being attracted to some women, but for whatever reason have a preference for men.

Just in case you are in any doubt as to the Christian view of homosexuality, here are some verses from both the Old and New Testaments:

Leviticus 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. (KJV)

Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. (KJV)

Romans 1:26-27 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error. (NIV)

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. (NIV)

1 Timothy 1:9-10 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine (NIV)