Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
jund_el_Mahdi

New York Police Arrest Muslims Over Hijab Ban

Rate this topic

NY police arrest Muslims over hijab ban

Thu Sep 1, 2011 10:43AM GMT

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/196865.html

golinejad20110901085403093.jpg

American police officers in the state of New York have clashed with Muslim individuals protesting an arbitrary ban on hijab at an amusement park and arrested at least 15 protesters.

Muslims had gathered for Eid al-Fitr festivities, marking the end of the fasting month of Ramadan, in a Westchester County park in New York on Tuesday when they realized that women with headscarves were barred from the amusement park rides, NY Daily News reported on Wednesday.

Objections to the Rye Playland headwear ban broke into scuffles and the park was shut down after police intervened and detained 15 people, including three women that were charged with 'disorderly conduct and assault.'

The incident occurred when one woman, Entisai Ali, protested to police officers over the amusement park's headscarf restriction, the report added.

"The cops started getting loud with her and she started getting loud, too. They pushed her on the ground and arrested her," said Dena Meawad, a witness at the scene.

According to the report, police also beat two young Muslims who rushed to help the woman.

"She just wanted to get on a ride. That was it," Dena Meawad said of the initial confrontation. "It's clear, this all happened because we're Muslim."

Nearly 100 cops from surrounding police departments converged in the park to subdue the disappointed Muslims.

The incident took place just after 1 p.m. local time during an event organized by the Muslim American Society of New York, which attracted 3,000 Muslims from Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Westchester County.

Muslim civil rights leaders on Wednesday accused the authorities of using excessive force in the police violence.

"'She just wanted to get on a ride. That was it," Dena Meawad said of the initial confrontation. "It's clear, this all happened because we're Muslim."'

There are some rides that don't allow any sort of headgear for safety reasons....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article7092768.ece

Excessive force?...possibly....

Edited by Sir

you know, that image in the OP is really dissapointing...

I mean u couldn't at least have FEMALE cops arrest the FEMALE protestors???

I want to cut off that male cop's arms and and slap him with his own hands!!! How dare he touch a muslima like that! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Shame...Shame...

"'She just wanted to get on a ride. That was it," Dena Meawad said of the initial confrontation. "It's clear, this all happened because we're Muslim."'

There are some rides that don't allow any sort of headgear for safety reasons....

http://www.timesonli...icle7092768.ece

True. I'm usually against any such restrictions against hijab (since I believe in it, and usually the objections people bring are absurd) but in this case I could see why they'd have some restrictions in place (not talking about the police reaction though). Not all hijabs, but for instance the girl in that picture with the long hijab loosely hanging out, that could be dangerous for her if it got caught in some rides.

I might feel a little differently about this one because of what happened to my mother on one such ride before I was born. She tells me she was in a ferris wheel, and her hair (which at the time was very long) got caught and it started pulling. She could've had her hair ripped off her scalp but some kid on the ride threw up and so they stopped the ride in time, thank God.

That's no excuse. People wear loose clothing all the time that I've seen when at theme parks and on rides, sometimes very loose. Even during winter for instance, people cover around their necks with long scarves and ride roller coasters.

What next, they will ban old granny from riding with her scarf on her head?

Guys, not everything is a "war on Islam" here.. Heck Muslim women have greater freedom to wear hijab here (US and Canada) than they do in a number of Muslim countries.

Are the height restrictions on such rides part of a war on dwarfs?

Not everything, but a lot is:

US Empire foments Islamophobia

miriam20110901152001247.jpg

An investigation conducted by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, has revealed that a small networked group of misinformation experts are guiding the rising wave of Islamophobia in the US through effective use of advocates, media partners, and grassroots organizing.

Five major figures, who lead five key think tanks, are orchestrating the majority of misinformation about Islam and Muslims in America today. This small network produces talking points and messages relied upon and repeated by every segment of this interconnected network of money, grassroots leaders, media talking heads, and elected officials.

· Frank Gaffney at the Center for Security Policy

· David Yerushalmi at the Society of Americans for National Existence

· Daniel Pipes at the Middle East Forum

· Robert Spencer of Jihad Watch and Stop Islamization of America

· Steven Emerson of the Investigative Project on Terrorism

This group of radical ideologues has fought to define Sharia as a “totalitarian ideology” and “legal-political-military doctrine” committed to destroying Western civilization.

Read the rest, very startling: http://www.presstv.i...ail/196918.html

Edited by jund_el_Mahdi

Discrimination and police brutality plain and simple. If it was really an issue of "safety", which others have mentioned they allow tons of non-Muslims with loose clothing to ride the different amusement park rides, at the very most they should have individuals sign a form acknowledging that they have been told about any potential risks and they still choose to partake in the rides (thus eliminating any potential of lawsuits which the amusement park owners are worried about).

Its a war on Islam

You find the west imprisoning women because they wear hijab, and you find Muslims running after Starbucks

Shame on us Muslims, who made them more superior

calm down bro

its just a ride

http://www.timesonli...icle7092768.ece

Wow, good article. But I do think it was obviously an isolated incident.

P.S: A Lebanese atheist? Why did the Lebs on this forum tell me you guys are all pious Shias..... Welcome to the SC!

I want to cut off that male cop's arms and and slap him with his own hands!!! How dare he touch a muslima like that! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Shame...Shame...

He had her under arrest

Shame...Shame...

This isn't Iran where the use women security agents to beat women with sticks. What's the big deal with the picture, she is being handled in a text book manner.

""She just wanted to get on a ride. That was it," Dena Meawad said of the initial confrontation. "It's clear, this all happened because we're Muslim."

Hardly an unbiased bystander. This didn't happen because she is a Muslim, in happened because she was wearing a scarf and the part operator did not want her to get head to get ripped off, shame on them. She chose this siituation to make a stink and I hope she is happy with the result.

He had her under arrest

This isn't Iran where the use women security agents to beat women with sticks. What's the big deal with the picture, she is being handled in a text book manner.

""She just wanted to get on a ride. That was it," Dena Meawad said of the initial confrontation. "It's clear, this all happened because we're Muslim."

Hardly an unbiased bystander. This didn't happen because she is a Muslim, in happened because she was wearing a scarf and the part operator did not want her to get head to get ripped off, shame on them. She chose this siituation to make a stink and I hope she is happy with the result.

Expected reply.

Jund el Mahdi:

"US Empire foments Islamophobia"

So this is a U.S. government program. Thank you for the statement, nothing to substantiate it but thank you anyway. Also that is a striking book cover but you know what is said about them.

As Roachy said "You find the west imprisoning women because they wear hijab, and you find Muslims running after Starbucks." My city has rid itself of hijab wearing women by jailing them for 6 months on a first offense and a year for a second offense and a third offense with four witnesses results in beheading, problem solved.

Expected reply.

What do you want me to lie?

Anyone defending the racism and xenophobia of the amusement park workers (putting aside the US pigs aka "police" and their police brutality as usual) should consider why didn't the amusement park workers simply have a Muslim woman wearing Hijab sign a paper noting that she had been told about any potential "risks" and she still wanted to partake in the rides?! It would have been very simple for them to do this and also it is clear racism because as others have already noted all kinds of non-Muslim people go on the amusement park rides wearing different forms of loose, baggy clothing yet they are still allowed on (again it is simply xenophobia and racism against Muslims in Amerikkka).

Anyone defending the racism and xenophobia of the amusement park workers (putting aside the US pigs aka "police" and their police brutality as usual) should consider why didn't the amusement park workers simply have a Muslim woman wearing Hijab sign a paper noting that she had been told about any potential "risks" and she still wanted to partake in the rides?! It would have been very simple for them to do this and also it is clear racism because as others have already noted all kinds of non-Muslim people go on the amusement park rides wearing different forms of loose, baggy clothing yet they are still allowed on (again it is simply xenophobia and racism against Muslims in Amerikkka).

The amusement parks don’t take that sort of risk. It is their responsibility to take of the visitors. They need to make sure that the rides are safe. This is not a war against Islam.

The safest option is for a muslima to tuck her scarf inside her collar and wear a shirt hoodie combo.

Edited by Zareen

Safety isn't for the sake of safety. If something happens to that woman the operators could be held liable for not insuring the safety of their clients. They probably never encountered this issue before, so don't expect themto change their rules so quick without review.

If I was a worker and the rules clearly say no loose clothing or headgear etc I would have to enforce it as well. Common sense, unless you want to be sued.

While I don't like how many male officers handle women I can see where safety was a concern. The problem is lack of communication.....it probably just says NO HEADGEAR.....and people want to know the reason. If they put up a sign explaining that due to safety reasons no headgear or scarfs allowed while providing an illustration of a scarf being caught in the ride this wouldn't have happened. Had that woman's scarf been caught in the ride and and someone been injured the amusement park would have been dealing with a multimillion dollar lawsuit.

NOW here is a clear case of discrimination because this pig judge knew exactly what he was doing. By the way she didn't win but if she didn't remove her scarf and had went to jail for contempt of court she would have won. I wish that judge would have tried it with me :shaytan:

Edited by ImAli

The ride people have it right. Health and safety come first - it's not personal. I am banned from most rides because of a heart condition.

Hijabis should try Sis Zareen's suggestion. A well known dancer in the 1950s died when her scarf (obviously not hijab) got caught in the wheels of her car.

Dude, seriously, you need to calm down once in a while. You can't just maintain this state of continual, 24-7 seething rage at everything around you. It's going to affect you medically eventually. You also need to accept that the entire world isn't driven by the same seething rage that drives you.

Guys, not everything is a "war on Islam" here.. Heck Muslim women have greater freedom to wear hijab here (US and Canada) than they do in a number of Muslim countries.

Are the height restrictions on such rides part of a war on dwarfs?

hahaha, war or dwarfs, that was funny.

But yes. What people need to realize is, these rules have been put in place and established some time ago. They are not deliberately designed to stop muslims from doing anything. Its just that the rules were made prior to and in the presumed absence of people who would wear certain types of clothing.

For example, if a country passes a law that says, no masks when shopping in the store, and they made the rule to assist with identification of customers, they did not make the rule taking into account the people who wear face veils and niqaabs.

So basically, these things are new to the west, Islamic culture is indeed very new to the west, we need time to adjust our own laws to suit the incoming demographic. And yes i agree with macisaac, there are many countries that are far worst when it comes to these things, including predominantly muslim countries.

And for Ya aba, i dont know if youre from NY, but the cops bust everyone there, this isnt some political movement, its just a squabble between people and the local 5 0.

I find the Muslima hypocritical. She leaves her home to cause trouble, yells at a police officer, gets arrested, and endangers other Muslims at the scene, all to protect her rights to wear a Hijab? She should learn some akhlaq and modesty before fighting for the right to wear Hijab in an amusement park. Frankly, I'm not too sure about Muslimas going on rides either.

Edited by Jay

I find the Muslima hypocritical. She leaves her home to cause trouble, yells at a police officer, gets arrested, and endangers other Muslims at the scene, all to protect her rights to wear a Hijab? She should learn some akhlaq and modesty before fighting for the right to wear Hijab in an amusement park. Frankly, I'm not too sure about Muslimas going on rides either.

I was thinking that same thing. If you have a problem with the rules of the park, you take care of it legally.

The US has by far the most lawyers in the world, and they will fight on behalf of anyone and everyone. Heck they will even defend homicidal murderers.

If you have a problem with the law, take care of it the legal way, arguing with the cops is only gonna get you stuffed in the back of the patty wagon. Not only that but im sure most of the crowd was sitting around thinking "man, those muslims are causing trouble again".

If the muslimah wants to represent and support the hijab, then she should do it the Islamic way, not the NY ghetto way. (the new yorker ghetto way being yelling and brawling over everything which is the opposite of what a pious muslimah should be doing).

look at her in the picture with her Jennifer Lopez sunglasses, shes been influenced by NY. Young and liberal.

Edited by iSilurian

And for Ya aba, i dont know if youre from NY, but the cops bust everyone there, this isnt some political movement, its just a squabble between people and the local 5 0.

Yes, just like those arrested at the Jefferson memorial for silently dancing.

But I'm wondering, how can she be defended, if she's protesting against a safety issue, and is it true that they were protesting against a safety issue. It doesn't make sense that 15 people gather to protest against a safety issue, unless they didn't know that the ban was due to safety?

Yes, just like those arrested at the Jefferson memorial for silently dancing.

But I'm wondering, how can she be defended, if she's protesting against a safety issue, and is it true that they were protesting against a safety issue. It doesn't make sense that 15 people gather to protest against a safety issue, unless they didn't know that the ban was due to safety?

People can and will protest over anything out here, especially when it involves liberals, and in this case muslims and the hijab. Not only that, but its in NY, which says a lot about the people.

Not everything, but a lot is:

US Empire foments Islamophobia

miriam20110901152001247.jpg

An investigation conducted by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, has revealed that a small networked group of misinformation experts are guiding the rising wave of Islamophobia in the US through effective use of advocates, media partners, and grassroots organizing.

Five major figures, who lead five key think tanks, are orchestrating the majority of misinformation about Islam and Muslims in America today. This small network produces talking points and messages relied upon and repeated by every segment of this interconnected network of money, grassroots leaders, media talking heads, and elected officials.

· Frank Gaffney at the Center for Security Policy

· David Yerushalmi at the Society of Americans for National Existence

· Daniel Pipes at the Middle East Forum

· Robert Spencer of Jihad Watch and Stop Islamization of America

· Steven Emerson of the Investigative Project on Terrorism

This group of radical ideologues has fought to define Sharia as a “totalitarian ideology” and “legal-political-military doctrine” committed to destroying Western civilization.

Read the rest, very startling: http://www.presstv.i...ail/196918.html

This report damns itself. It points out that a majority of Americans does not believe that a muslim can be president. Can a non-muslim be the supreme leader in Iran? This is the ultimate in IRI/PressTV hypocrisy.

Kind of like racism in Iran with Sunnis having to pray under Shia instructions.

Jeez, Basra. You are not helping yourself.

The Jews had it tough in Europe, now it seems like it's the turn for Muslims.

When they see a group that defeats them in competition, they retort to harassing or trying to destroy that competing force.

You've created an interesting narrative in your head.

hahaha, war or dwarfs, that was funny.

But yes. What people need to realize is, these rules have been put in place and established some time ago. They are not deliberately designed to stop muslims from doing anything. Its just that the rules were made prior to and in the presumed absence of people who would wear certain types of clothing.

For example, if a country passes a law that says, no masks when shopping in the store, and they made the rule to assist with identification of customers, they did not make the rule taking into account the people who wear face veils and niqaabs.

So basically, these things are new to the west, Islamic culture is indeed very new to the west, we need time to adjust our own laws to suit the incoming demographic. And yes i agree with macisaac, there are many countries that are far worst when it comes to these things, including predominantly muslim countries.

At least they didn't disappear into a prison system wher they couldn't speak ti any family and are charged 6 months later and when they go to court their lawyer is not allowed in.

The Jews had it tough in Europe, now it seems like it's the turn for Muslims.

When they see a group that defeats them in competition, they retort to harassing or trying to destroy that competing force.

HUH? Earth calling ShiaBen.......earth calling ShiaBen.... comeback to Earth.....comeback.

Much ado about nothing.

Funny how some Muslims take everything as war on Islam; sign of an insecure and defeatist mentality.

Spot on but it really isn't funny is it, imagine such a mental state.

If the muslimah wants to represent and support the hijab, then she should do it the Islamic way, not the NY ghetto way. (the new yorker ghetto way being yelling and brawling over everything which is the opposite of what a pious muslimah should be doing).

look at her in the picture with her Jennifer Lopez sunglasses, shes been influenced by NY. Young and liberal.

Wow you guys are right. How dare she goes out and tries to have fun, guess she didnt read the hijabi guide which states that the moment someone wear the headscarf, her right to have fun or wear something fashionable is gone. Someone please lock her up and make her wear rags....also find some taliban to guide her while you guys are at it... :rolleyes: .

The biggest irony here is that people who are pointing fingers at a hijabi they don't even know, attacking her intentions and piety have themselves forgotten the basic rules of akhlaq...MashAllah@fellow muslims.

Edited by -SeeKeR-

this has nothing to do with anything, but i wonder if satyaban has another pic of himself ? i just find it odd, thats all...

As per usual he will avoid me or give me a reply that basically makes zero sense !

What a cat he is !