Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ali Musaaa :)

Brothers, Sisters Please Help Me!

Rate this topic

Asalaam wa alaykum

My name is Dylan but I have chosen the name Ali after Imam Ali when I became a Muslim. I am 17 years old and said Shahadah exactly one week ago. Its been extremely hard having to start fasting straight away but I have had a problem come up and I would really appreciate some help and advice. 

Well my question is, can I still eat something after missing the time for Fajr? Cause what happened was I set the alarm and woke up and then the next thing I remember was... It's morning several hours later :( and now I'm not sure if I can eat? I have only been a Muslim for a week and having to wake up everyday at that time is a new adjustment for me and it's hard. Last night I didn't eat much food at all compared to the past nights where I have eaten a lot at night time. But I am really sick with the flu at the moment as well and always coughing and sneezing all the time and I'm worried that if I don't eat now I will become even more sick. But even though I have been sick.. I have still been fasting even though. I feel really bad that I have missed the time because it's not the first time it's happened this week either :(  I really want to change into a better person through Islam and allow it's teachings to improve me as a person. Do you think God would forgive me if I eat? I am only 1 week into Islam.

So I just need to know under my circumstances, am I allowed to eat anything?

And I apologize for writing a large bit of information because I didn't want to just ask this question without having explained my situation first surrounding it.

Thank you brothers and/or sisters who reply :)

Guest EndlessEndeavor

(wasalam)

If you are sick brother, you should not fast, particularly if it will make your condition worse. Rest for a day or two, take some medication then fast when you feel better.

Allah wants ease for his servants, not hardship.

... And whoever of you is sick or on a journey, (let him fast) the same number of days. Allah desires for you ease; He desires not hardship for you ...} [Baqarah 2 :185]

Miss however many days it takes to get better, but then you have to make them up during the year, the number of days you miss.

(salam)

Considering your age you are a young and healthy person with no serious or fatal illnesses.

Now that set and done, you have to keep the fast because you had the intention of keeping the fast before you slept and if you eat there is a penalty for it (to be specific it is 60 days of fasting out which the first 30 days must be consecutive fast or some say 60 consecutive, or you could feed 60 poor people a two time meal).

(wasalam)

If you are sick brother, you should not fast, particularly if it will make your condition worse. Rest for a day or two, take some medication then fast when you feel better.

Allah wants ease for his servants, not hardship.

... And whoever of you is sick or on a journey, (let him fast) the same number of days. Allah desires for you ease; He desires not hardship for you ...} [baqarah 2 :185]

Miss however many days it takes to get better, but then you have to make them up during the year, the number of days you miss.

Sorry brother/sister you are wrong please consult a knowledgable person or namely a marja before giving such opinions.

As for your verse you need to understand what type of illness is referred to, as brother Ali has only complained of flu/cough/sneeze which is normal for an average human being

Edited by turncoat91

Hey Salaam Brother Dylan/Ali,

You can eat only until imsak, which is about 10 minutes before the time fajr begins.

You are not supposed to fast, if you have the flu and are sick. You can continue to fast once you feel better and make sure you make up the missed days before next year's Ramadhan.

The Holy Quran says, Sura Baqara Ayah 185:

"The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong). So whoever of you sights (the crescent on the first night of) the month (of Ramadan i.e. is present at his home), he must observe Saum (fasts) that month, and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Saum (fasts) must be made up] from other days. Allah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you. (He wants that you) must complete the same number (of days), and that you must magnify Allah [i.e. to say Takbir (Allahu-Akbar; Allah is the Most Great) on seeing the crescent of the months of Ramadan and Shawwal] for having guided you so that you may be grateful to Him"

It is wonderful how you have found the noor (light) of Islam. Best of luck! Feel free to PM me if u have any questions. :)

And here's a great website for prayer times:

Brother Ali my advice to you is use at least two alarms if one is not enough to wake you up, and wake about an hour or a half before the start of the fast so that you can eat satisfactorily. Indeed Allah does not intend hardship but sometimes human beings need to practice means by which they can control their carnal desires

Hey Salaam Brother Dylan/Ali,

You can eat only until imsak, which is about 10 minutes before the time fajr begins.

You are not supposed to fast, if you have the flu and are sick. You can continue to fast once you feel better and make sure you make up the missed days before next year's Ramadhan.

The Holy Quran says, Sura Baqara Ayah 185:

"The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong). So whoever of you sights (the crescent on the first night of) the month (of Ramadan i.e. is present at his home), he must observe Saum (fasts) that month, and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Saum (fasts) must be made up] from other days. Allah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you. (He wants that you) must complete the same number (of days), and that you must magnify Allah [i.e. to say Takbir (Allahu-Akbar; Allah is the Most Great) on seeing the crescent of the months of Ramadan and Shawwal] for having guided you so that you may be grateful to Him"

It is wonderful how you have found the noor (light) of Islam. Best of luck! Feel free to PM me if u have any questions. :)

And here's a great website for prayer times:

(salam)

Have you consulted an Aalim?

Brother Ali once you find out more about Islam you'll get to know the scholars who actually have knowledge one of the revered scholars is Ayatullah Sistani, the following is a question asked on his official site:

Question 12– I am suffering from physical weakness and poor health when fasting during the whole year and am unable to practice my daily work properly while fasting, and I stay in psychological constriction till the end of the month and I don’t have the Islamic ruling because I am an engineer and my work involves engineering projects.

Answer 12– It is not permissible to break the fast just for the weakness except if it harms you or causes an illness or unbearable awkwardness. But if working while fasting is the cause to that weakness, then one should change the working hours or reduce them or search for another job etc.

So unless there is something serious at risk or you have a background of dangerous illnesses with deadly side effects you are obliged to continue.(my advice get busy doing something other than just sitting and thinking of eating)

btw here is the site link for general questions regarding fasting: http://www.sistani.org/index.php?p=287042&id=99

Asalaam wa alaykum

My name is Dylan but I have chosen the name Ali after Imam Ali when I became a Muslim. I am 17 years old and said Shahadah exactly one week ago. Its been extremely hard having to start fasting straight away but I have had a problem come up and I would really appreciate some help and advice.

Well my question is, can I still eat something after missing the time for Fajr? Cause what happened was I set the alarm and woke up and then the next thing I remember was... It's morning several hours later :( and now I'm not sure if I can eat? I have only been a Muslim for a week and having to wake up everyday at that time is a new adjustment for me and it's hard. Last night I didn't eat much food at all compared to the past nights where I have eaten a lot at night time. But I am really sick with the flu at the moment as well and always coughing and sneezing all the time and I'm worried that if I don't eat now I will become even more sick. But even though I have been sick.. I have still been fasting even though. I feel really bad that I have missed the time because it's not the first time it's happened this week either :( I really want to change into a better person through Islam and allow it's teachings to improve me as a person. Do you think God would forgive me if I eat? I am only 1 week into Islam.

So I just need to know under my circumstances, am I allowed to eat anything?

And I apologize for writing a large bit of information because I didn't want to just ask this question without having explained my situation first surrounding it.

Thank you brothers and/or sisters who reply :)

Wa Aleikom Alsalam brother Dylan/Ali,

You should not fast brother if you're sick because your condition might get worse. It is forbidden for Muslims to fast if they are sick and/or taking medication. And just as "Endless Endeavor" had stated, Allah (subhanahu wa ta'ala) wants ease for his servants (I'bad) and not hardship!

InshaAllah you'll get better soon and start fasting once again. And just remember you have to compensate for the days you haven't fasted after you finish Ramadan and Eid because we're not allowed to fast during Eid.

All the best and may Allah (swt) bless you for your conversion; you are truly blessed already :)

Your sister in faith

Thank you all for your replies.

Turncoat91

I am well aware of Sistani and thank you for mentioning that question. But many websites I have looked at say it is allowed to break fast due to being sick or if the condition will become worse because of fasting as mentioned by some Brothers above, I think a reason why some say it is permissible to do so is because of the verse of the Quran mentioned by Brother Ali Hussain and a Hadith.

144. Ibn Mas'ud reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Those who make things hard for themselves will be destroyed." He said it three times. [Muslin)

145. Abu Hurayra reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "The deen is easy. Anyone who makes the deen too hard on himself will find it becomes too much for him. So aim for what is right, follow a middle path, accept the good news of the reward for right action, and seek help [to reach your goal by being constant in worshipping] in the morning, evening and some of the night."[al-Bukhari]

By continuing to fast I would definitely make things difficult for myself as I was becoming more and more sick in the past days while I was fasting.

Thank you sister -ahlulbaitsalamseeker for your kind words and everyone else. May Allah bless you :)

(salam)

Brother Ali you can do as you wish, as for your references we do not follow Muslim and Bukhari Wholly infact the majority of Ahadith are fabricated in them, and the internet and its blogs cannot be relied upon for such advices. As for the verse that has been mentioned I have been repeatedly urging you to stay acquainted with the fatwas of scholars. Khair it is after all your choice.

Just ponder over what I have written below:

If to an extent I am totally wrong and you keep the fast you will be greatly rewarded as Allah knows your condition better than me, and if to another extent the other brothers wrong and you do not fast because of your flu while it was obligatory on you then technically you can never make up for the fast that is left in the month of Ramadan or if you break your fast when you are not permitted to then you have the penalty to pay.

Salams all. Feel tempted to jump in. I been fasting for past 9 years and hence used to concept but when I had influenza last week- it was extremely difficult to fast. I fasted on first day of illness and all what i was thinkin of is when i can brake this fast cuz of immense hardship- headache unberable etc I then learnt that i should not have fasted that day and took few days off till i felt better and then fasted again..

If you are going to force yourself to fast and in turn be in bad physical and mental state whole day, dont suppose its good idea or reflects true purpose of Ramadan..

A cold/flue may be minor to some but to others it could be disabiling so its individual in my opinion.

Brother Ali my advice to you is use at least two alarms if one is not enough to wake you up, and wake about an hour or a half before the start of the fast so that you can eat satisfactorily. Indeed Allah does not intend hardship but sometimes human beings need to practice means by which they can control their carnal desires

(salam)

Have you consulted an Aalim?

Brother Ali once you find out more about Islam you'll get to know the scholars who actually have knowledge one of the revered scholars is Ayatullah Sistani, the following is a question asked on his official site:

Question 12– I am suffering from physical weakness and poor health when fasting during the whole year and am unable to practice my daily work properly while fasting, and I stay in psychological constriction till the end of the month and I don’t have the Islamic ruling because I am an engineer and my work involves engineering projects.

Answer 12– It is not permissible to break the fast just for the weakness except if it harms you or causes an illness or unbearable awkwardness. But if working while fasting is the cause to that weakness, then one should change the working hours or reduce them or search for another job etc.

So unless there is something serious at risk or you have a background of dangerous illnesses with deadly side effects you are obliged to continue.(my advice get busy doing something other than just sitting and thinking of eating)

btw here is the site link for general questions regarding fasting: http://www.sistani.o...?p=287042&id=99

Dear brother,

Let us examine the Fatwa of Great Ayatollah.

Q: So the guy is not sick YET. But he will be weak when he fasts (all through the year). Nevertheless,

A: Sistani's answer is: It's not permissible to break the fast for weakness. BUT, it is permissible if it causes an illness. So in the situation of brother Ali here, he's already sick. The verdict should now be, according to you, that he should fast, because he's already sick and he gets a greater reward while Allah has said himself in His Glorious Quran: ... And whoever of you is sick or on a journey, (let him fast) the same number of days. Allah desires for you ease; He desires not hardship for you ...} [baqarah 2 :185]

That's weird, Allah did NOT desire hardship for us, but Ali should be in hardship..not really fair. So it's only fair to say with regard to the Fatwa, that it's not incumbent on him to fast these days of sickness.

Peace.

(wasalam)

Only Allah swt knows your true intentions so if you sincerely think that you should not fast and that it will cause unbearable hardship on you, then don't fast. But if you think you'll be able to function, even if you feel a little sick, then I think you'd better be safe and fast. You're the best judge of your situation and the outcome of fasting on you.

Yeah thats what I was saying that to quote the Quranic verse is not sufficient to know what to do, in this case if it is a normal flu then the verse can be used as an excuse not to fast but if the disease is such that it will lead to a really bad situation then the fast is not obligatory but you will have to perform the Qaza fast afterwards.

(bismillah)

Usually people who are sick don't fast. If you feel like your sickness is getting worse just rest a bit. Taking medications can make you drowsy and sleep longer so maybe that is why you didn't wake up on time. Allah does not want you to hurt yourself and he does not want to hurt you so unless a doctor says you are fine, don't fast until you regain your health.