Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
sloth

[LAWS]Tashahhud, Is It Obligatory?

Rate this topic

Hi !

Im not a muslim yet, but im about to convert, i've memorized the Surah Al-Fatiha and Surah al-Ikhlas and shahadah and learned my way around the Salah process, however, im confused about Tashahhud.

Ive read an article that says its not mandatory and prophet Mohammad (pbuh) never said it was.

Then on the other hand I read from wikipedia and other resources that it is mandatory, so, please tell me the Truth regarding this matter, what did the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) actually say about this in the Quran or Hadith.

So please, help me out. And if someone thinks im asking a stupid question pardon me, im new to this stuff and just learning.

*Fingers crossed that it aint obligatory since its pretty long*

heheh. I think i'll learn it, it will take a few days though, if its obligatory. Even if its not i will learn it at some point because of the later supplication, however at first I want to focus on Fard, the obligatory prayer its my #1 priority.

Thanks in advance =)

-Sloth

Bismillah

http://www.shiapen.com/fiqh/shia-method-of-prayers-salat/tashahud-concluding-salat

You need to express you faith verbally if you desire fullest reward.

But keep in mind that expressing faith verbally requires some energy if it does not come from the heart.

I once asked an imam on internet.

Good luck

Guest adilrizvi

Tashahud is obligatory, I'm afraid. Here is the ruling:-

There are eleven obligatory acts for prayers:

1. Niyyat (intention)
  2. Qiyam (standing erect)
  3. Takbiratul Ehram (saying Allahu Akbar while commencing the prayers)
  4. Ruku' (bowing)
  5. Sajdatayn (two prostration)
  6. Qira'at (recitation of Surah al-Hamd and other surah)
  7. Zikr (prescribed recitation in Ruku' and Sajdah)
  8. Tashahhud (bearing witness after completing the Sajdah of the second and the last Rak'at)
  9. Salaam (Salutation)
  10. Tartib (sequence)
  11. Muwalat (to perform the different acts of prayers in regular succession).
    1109. In the second unit of all obligatory prayers, and in the third unit of Maghrib prayers and in the fourth unit of Zuhr, Asr and Isha prayers, one should sit after the second prostration with a tranquil body, and recite tashahhud thus: "Ash hadu an la ilaha illal lahu wahdahu la sharika lah, wa ash hadu anna Muhammadan 'Abduhu wa Rasuluh, Alla humma salli 'ala Muhammadin wa Ali Muhammad".
    And it will be sufficient if one recited the tashahhud this way: Ash hadu an la ilaha illal lahu was ash hadu anna Muhammadan Sallal lahu Alayhi Wa Aalihi Abduhu Wa rasuluh. It is also necessary to recite tashahhud while offering Witr (in Namaz-e-Shab) prayers.
    http://www.sistani.org/index.php?p=251364&id=48&pid=2217
    http://www.sistani.org/index.php?p=251364&id=48&pid=2227

Thank you for your quick replies!

And i looked into it, and I discovered that there are 3 different Tashahhud's and yey for me, the Shia one is the easiest to learn, huge part of it is arabic words that i already know thru other Surahs so i only have to learn a few sentences =)

However, I want to ask if there are any schools to follow like in Sunni there is Shaafi etc?

Please assist if there are. I dont want to be the annoyign guy asking stupid questions but i honestly have trouble finding shia websites !

When I started researching Islam at Sunni sites first, then I met an Iranian co-worker and we started talking and he started talking about Ali, i was like.. "who is Ali?" and he started telling me, we spoke everyday at work, and I started searching for it on the internet and Im thinking logically here, it makes more sense that Mohammad(pbuh) would make someoen from his family his successor.

So, when I started searching the internet for answers I came accross many claims that I have here seen to be false like Shias worshiping the 12 imams and using intercessors (or however its spellt).

I started thinking this sounds awfully similar to christianity, but here I read that its not true and I agree, Only one God no different deities are needed, 1on1 with God.

Thank you for giving me the Tashahhud above, that is very simple for me to learn now since im a beginner. thank you sir ! =)

And This is a little offtopic again i am very sorry friends please do not ban me i love this forum very good reading:

Are there any Shia mosques in vaasa, Finland?

Edited by sloth

As Salaamu Alaykum brother, all praise is for Allah for guiding us to the straight path.

First of all as to your question, yes, there are other schools of thought, however, it is best you don’t bother with them, unless you feel unsure about the school of the family of the Prophet (pbuh), and for your own peace of mind need to look into all the branches of islaam. However, you seem to be of the view that the shi’a faith is the true one, so at this early time, it is best to focus on that, as you gain more knowledge, there are some books that you will undoubtedly read that will answer all you questions about the other schools (Peshawar nights, al muraja’at are examples of such books)

As for the tashahhud, it is easy, it is very much like the shahada, so it will be very easy to learn, in fact, you will come to find that even if you don’t have a great gift for memorising things in you r own language, through the grace of Allah, many verses from the Qur’an are very easy to memorise, as are many du’a.

“Ash hadu an la ilaha illal lahu wahdahu la sharika lah,

wa ash hadu anna Muhammadan 'Abduhu wa Rasuluh,

Alla humma salli 'ala Muhammadin wa Ali Muhammad”

But i should warn you, that just like with anything, there are different extremes in shi’a islaam, and you will undoubtedly come across some people with very extreme views with regards a lot of things, the imams being all seeing and hearing is one very common one, people cutting themselves and their children as an act of mourning is another, people claiming that the imams control the universe is another I could go on all night, but I don’t want to put you off. But as a revert whom Allah has guided, I think your soul will be your best guide, if something really feels wrong, don’t just accept it, scrutinise from all different angles, our after life is no joke, Imam Ali (as) has spoken on these subjects, he is reported to have said:

“two kinds of people will be damned on my account, those who form exaggerated opinions of me and those who underestimate me because the hate me”

notice that there is a clause in underestimating him (as), it is hatred, if you study his sayings and decided through logical thought that he doesn’t control the universe (and it turns out he does), you will not be damned, if it turns you he doesn’t, but you say he does, you will be damned, it’s best not to say things about the imams they did not say about themselves. Imam Ali (as) is also reported to have said:

“Between truth and falsehood there are four fingers (then he placed his fingers between his eye and his ear) the truth is that which you witness, the falsehood is that which you are told”

I recommend you read through these two sights, very traditional, which of course is best

http://www.*******.org/

http://www.revivingalislam.com/

this one jsut for fun

http://tatbir.org/

I you look on shiachat, there are pages with links to various books and websites of the maraja

Sorry, it seems the only shia mosque in finland is in helsinki

http://www.hs.fi/eng...i/1135262970438

All the best, insha Allah

Edited by ShahHussain

Sorry to add another question, but what's the view on saying the following in Tashahud -

Allahumma salli `ala muhammadin wa'ali muhammad, kama sallayta `ala ali ibrahim, innaka hamidun majid, Allahumma barik `ala muhammadin wa'ali muhammad, kama barakta `ala ali ibrahim, innaka hamidun majid

Sorry to add another question, but what's the view on saying the following in Tashahud -

Allahumma salli `ala muhammadin wa'ali muhammad, kama sallayta `ala ali ibrahim, innaka hamidun majid, Allahumma barik `ala muhammadin wa'ali muhammad, kama barakta `ala ali ibrahim, innaka hamidun majid

I think it is very nice.

It can be broken into parts:

Original: Allahumma salli `ala muhammadin wa'ali

Extention: kama sallayta `ala ali ibrahim

Check the arabic language section for the rest.

Good luck

Guest adilrizvi

(bismillah)

(salam)

Brother Tashahud means bearing witness.. Testifying about the oneness of Allah and that Muhammad(pbuh) is his Prophet. I don't think this qualifies for a tashahud.

Edited by adilrizvi

Brother Sloth,

Have you been to the revert muslims website? It is made by a shia revert who went through same issues as you while converting [lack of resources for converts from Shia perspective]

www.revertmuslims.com

God bless, salam

Peace be upon you dear brother,

Alhamdulillahi Rabbil Alameen for guiding you to the right path!

As for your question of different schools, I think you may have meant different schools within the Shi'a school of thought. There are different sects within the Shi'a school of thought. You have probably been introduced to the Ithna'Ashari, Twelver, or Jaf'ari school of thought, which believes in the twelve Imams (as) . Most Shi'a follow this school of thought, so it is often used interchangeably with Shi'a, but there are other schools of thought such as the Ismai'lis, who believe Isma'il succeeded Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq (as) instead of Imam Musa al-Kazim (as) whom the Twelvers believe succeeded the Imam. Even within these branches or sects, there are many sub-branches, and it gets very complicated. Many of these sects have very different practices from other Muslims, or would even not be considered by Muslims by most. If you want more information about the various sects of Islam I recommend Shi'ite Islam by Allamah Tabatabaei. It is a great introduction to Shi'a Islam in general, and may cover a lot of things of interest to you. Another book I recommend is Inquiries About Shi'a Islam by Sayed Moustafa al-Qazwini. It covers a lot of the misconceptions about Shi'a Islam. I haven't actually fully read these books, but I still know they are great books :) . A good site for buying books on Shi'a Islam (such as Shi'ite Islam) is http://www.shiabookshop.com/. The books aren't the highest quality, but they are very cheap, except for the shipping costs, but I think it's worth it if you buy a lot of books. A lot of books are also available online, so you can always check before buying.

Within the Twelver sect, there are also certain sub-sects. The most prominent of these are the Usuli and the Akhbari. You can read more about them on wikipedia, but the vast majority of Twelvers are Usuli, and the major difference is that Usuli Shi'a have mujtahids (or marjas), or scholars that give rulings (fatwa) that we follow in the absence of the Twelfth Imam (as) . So probably the closest thing to schools of thought that the Sunni have (e.g. Hanafi, Shafi'i, Hanbali, Maliki) are the mujtahids that most Shi'a follow. It doesn't really matter who you follow, but Usuli Shi'a believe you must follow a mujtahid in the absence of the Imam (as) to know how to do certain things. The different mujtahids don't differ greatly, so it doesn't make a great difference in practice who you follow, but you should follow the one you find most knowledgeable. For example they differ in some controversial things that apply to daily life such as whether or not you need a beard, whether smoking is allowed, what kind of music you can listen to, whether or not you can eat gelatin etc., and often things more specific to acts of worship, for example what invalidates a fast, or specific details about prayers. There are many mujtahids, but only a few that are widely followed. The most followed marja is Ayatullah Sistani. His website can give you a good idea of specific rulings of mujtahids. The Works section has a lot of works that can be of great interest to answer a lot of your questions about specifics pertaining to prayers, wudhu etc., and most of it does not differ among the various mujtahids, but it might just be easier to ask specific questions on Shiachat :). If you want more information about various mujtahids or the different schools of thought, please ask. I'm sure others can you give you a lot more information than I can. I hope this was helpful. I know it's a lot of information, and there are a lot of details, and it's good to take things slowly, but as you start learning how to pray and other aspects of Shi'a Islam you will undoubtedly encounter many questions, and having access to such information will be very useful Insha'Allah.

May Allah (SWT) bless you and make your reversion process as easy as possible Insha'Allah.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Welcome to the din brother! I'm a convert just like you... If you ever happen to have questions or you just want to talk about something you have come to the right place.

Finland seems a very beautiful country and I hope to visit it one day.

ma'a salama,

Ihsaan