Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is Mutah Common In Your Area?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

We talk a lot about it, but the pre-conceived notions that come with it, due to our surroundings and culture vary. People from the sub-continent, arabs, Iranians, Asians, Americans, Eurpoeans etc. are all inquisitive about it. But how frequently is it practiced in your surrounding? Is it a norm or just a cliche or taboo? discreet or openly discussed ?

With those thoughts, i am starting this topic. If i speak of Pakistan, to the best of my knowledge, the permission is rarely exercised. None of the adults i personally know, have practiced, but are aware of the permissibility. Have heard that it happens upcountry, but not amongst the metropolitan youth / adult population.

What about your area / surroundings?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do say that... I also garagle three times, rinse my nose three times, wash my face and arms twice, do the dhikr of wudhu. I also drink in three sips and say bismillah and Alhamdulilah at the beginni

Mutah is a nikah contract for a small period of time where both parties know their rights, who will take the responsibility of the by products, the termination period, the mehr etc. No surprises and h

Salams br. I honestly don't know what they will say when they meet Allah(swa) and he asks them why they disobeyed Him(swa) when He(swa) made obeying him so easy. The only thing I can think is that the

• Advanced Member

TORONTO

University: Basically a pandemic from what I have heard (pandemic in a good sense :) ) amognst the men. Not every guy does it but apparently it is very present. I have never heard of a sister do muta in University.

Main adult population and topic discussion amongst the 'mosque' people: Basically mute, never discussed,

The only time it is used and that rarely is sometimes 'engaged' couples do a muta prior to their marriage and even then, usually if not 100% of the time its a muta with stipulated no sexual intercourse clause...

so basically amognst the khoja's here in Toronto, the elders wouldn't even think about it and honestly, I bet a good amount of them dont even know about it.

The youth kinda get hit with it when they go to University. But again, its not openly discussed, very very private and hush hush thing.

May the Allah (aj) help s revive the sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh)

• Advanced Member

TORONTO

University: Basically a pandemic from what I have heard (pandemic in a good sense :) ) amognst the men. Not every guy does it but apparently it is very present. I have never heard of a sister do muta in University.

Main adult population and topic discussion amongst the 'mosque' people: Basically mute, never discussed,

The only time it is used and that rarely is sometimes 'engaged' couples do a muta prior to their marriage and even then, usually if not 100% of the time its a muta with stipulated no sexual intercourse clause...

so basically amognst the khoja's here in Toronto, the elders wouldn't even think about it and honestly, I bet a good amount of them dont even know about it.

The youth kinda get hit with it when they go to University. But again, its not openly discussed, very very private and hush hush thing.

May the Allah (aj) help s revive the sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh)

Don't think so, if you're going to follow his sunnah (pbuh), start saying saying Subhana Rabbi Al A^la Wa Bi Hamdih three times in your prayers, and much more instead.

• Advanced Member

the question is.. what relevence does your question have?

are you saying if it is excersized in your surroundings its okay to do it but if not then don't do it?

If not, then what is the point of this question?

(sorry, i dont mean to be rude, im really just curious)

salam

• Advanced Member

I've noticed this has been a hot topic in recent times. Honestly, I feel that there are a lot of youngsters out there who are misusing this option. Under what circumstances can one perform mutah?

Ya, thats ur problem right there. ur 'feelings' are useless here. If this 'option' saves u from haram then that doesnt constitute 'misuse'.

• Advanced Member

a bit harsh there.....

S.Fatima... what do you mean under what circumstance?

there are not many requirements that need to be fulfilled.. but sometimes you need to look at the short term, and long term consequences of it.

to say someone is misusing it, is not fair because only they know the intentions of doing it.. and i think in the end its all about intentions.

ultimately.. mutah is there more than anything, to help the slaves of God from avoiding sin.

• Advanced Member

Attempt #2

You keep on missing the question, 'Kumar'. I'm sure no one's interested in your life story.

MWO: People nowadays take Mutah very lightly. Some under this contract are probably not even aware of the laws concerning it.

Salam Fatima.. yes this is true.. and agree 100%.. when they dont do it according to the jurisprudence, then it is definitely misuse.

I know some ppl that would have sexual relationships with a virgin girl under the flag of "mutah".. but dont inform the father of this contract - which automatically nullify the contract.

so in that sense, yes, i agree.. ppl do misuse it.

• Advanced Member

I had no idea it would be more common in some areas more so than others.

Would this be dependent on the ethnic variations of a particular mosque?

I use to think mutah would serve as a dependent factor that relies on human personality, not so much location.

Interesting thread.

• Advanced Member

i think its a mixture of the following

1. ethnicity of the muslims - how they have been brought up to treat this topic

2. the general australian openess to new ideas - how willing say, a christian girl, is willing to take part in something like this

3. the "preacher(s)" mentality in that location - how something like mutah is portrayed to the community (positive/negative)

salam

• Advanced Member

MWO: I think you've explained this quite well. All these factors play a role in one's decision making process. Whether we accept it or not, our environment has a influence on most of the choices we make. For example, a villager would probably not be comfortable with the idea. On the contrary, a man whose been brought up in a city might believe it's the most convenient alternative. So when it comes down to it, Mutah may be common in certain areas while untimely in others.

Monad: Thanks for posting the link. It's highly important for both parties to be fully aware of what they are getting into. Unfortunately, a lot of shias have yet to discover the simple laws of a Marriage let alone Mutah (which still is foreign to some).

1. In my area men do it with Christian women to save themselves from masturbation, fornication, and other sexual perversions of western society.

2. Sisters meanwhile suffer in their bigotry, self righteousness, and lack of will to their submission to the commands of Allah and sit there and getting old in their lonely lives. No body knows what they do at home to fulfill their sexual or companionship needs.

3. Then there are some young couples who are doing it for six months or so to know each other before marrying permanently.

All in all, #1 and #3 are living in peace and bliss knowing they are living in accordance with the commands of Allah. #2 are sitting there criticizing biting their nails in despair and deprivation.

As far as side debate on conditions, there are not many conditions as long as you know what the conditions are for permanent nikah. There is no difference, zilch, nothing, zero, nada between the two except that one is with no time stipulation, other has time limit to it when the contract expires.

I've never heard of anyone in my area contracting muta, but most people would not tell others if they were in muta marriage.

Yeah I think that they are quiet about it. While it is allowed I think it is not something you go around bragging about since we all know what it is usually used for.

• Advanced Member

As far as side debate on conditions, there are not many conditions as long as you know what the conditions are for permanent nikah. There is no difference, zilch, nothing, zero, nada between the two except that one is with no time stipulation, other has time limit to it when the contract expires.

If I recall correctly, this isn't exactly true. For example, I believe people in a mutah marriage do not inherit from one another, even if one dies while still in the marriage. I also believe that there is no divorce for mutah (but a near analogue is that you can "gift back time" or something like that). Moreover, the length of the waiting period differs between permanent and temporary marriage.

Edited by Al-Asr
  • Advanced Member

So its like the debate we have with non-muslims on Islam's permission for polygamy. Men with two or more wives are common in the rich arab world, but not as common comparitvely in other muslim countries.

Similarly, I have heard that Shias in Gilgit / Baltistan (Northern Pakistan) practice Mutah. And from your replies, it seems that Mutah is favourite topic of discussion amongst muslims, whereas it is very seldomly practiced.

• Advanced Member

@S.Fatima: Actions are judged by intentions :) the contract would say it all. However, those who deliberately misuse it also know that its no more halal.

I was also wondering to guage if the practice is confined to a community / area / location or tribe. Is it common in Iranians but not in arabs? is it common in shias living in the west, but not in the Indian sub-continent?

• Advanced Member

I’m nobody to judge. However, I will say that it is one’s responsibility to absorb all laws regarding the agreement. Someone who fails to understand will have to face consequences whether his intentions were pure or not.

It’s hard to determine in which areas or class Mutah is frequent. For accurate results, a statistical analysis would be required.

• Advanced Member

lol if all the laws aren't abided by, its not binding... simple as that

whether they call what they do legal under the umbrella of mutah is irrelevent because in Gods eyes, it is a sin what they are doing.

anyway back to the topic... i ask that same question i asked at the start... who cares? what does it matter how often or not it happens at a certain location? lol

Edited by MWO
  • Advanced Member

Well the main points emerging form the discussions are as follows:

1) that its done seldomly, yet we have more rumour on it rather than factual accounts in our community / surroundings / friends / associates.

2) the practice is uncommon throughout Shia populations - barring the Northern Pakistan faction.

3) Statistical analysis is needed, probably random discreet interviews, if we want to guage the extent of actual practice (and not intentions of people - which would be 90% ;) )

4) it is not a distinctly identifiable pattern such as polygamy in arabs

Plus, what i noticed was that people are more concerned and aware of the terms and conditions of Mutah than Nikah :)

@ S. Fatima: All your points taken - Valid and rational. Behaviour, intentions and knowledge is most important which are the actual enables of the action.

• Advanced Member

Plus, what i noticed was that people are more concerned and aware of the terms and conditions of Mutah than Nikah :)

Anti-Logic: I would say the above statement is the most true. If you look back, I've projected similar views.

Side debate: Alright guys! I rest my case, lol!

• Advanced Member

my my. So we have a pattern emerging. Northern Pakistan, Lebanese community in Sydney...where else do we have Mutah kings..(and queens too? :))

Jokes apart - i think if one has the inclination for such a relationship and wants to be it legal and compliant with Islam - it is the most suited option. Mutual and respectful.

Edited by Anti-Logic

Salaam

where we are there is a great war against temporary marriage but the common thing between people is fornication. I hardly know any one of the University from the so called Muslim community who did not enter into illegitimate relationships...

One girl who wears hijab and allegedly from the shia community Admits fornication with Mr A but when Mr A proposed temporary marriage to her she got angry and wanted to break up with him and forced him to continue the fornication path.

my own experience when i was 19 (10 years ago) when I told the girl that liked me about temporary marriage she was very angry and broke up with me because of that but she was whiling to do haraam and alhamdulillah i rejected and she probably went and took another boyfriend ( she also used to wear hijab)

people are hypocritical about it .

one brother mentioned that one way of misusing mutah is when they marry virgin girls without the permission of the parents.

the permission of the father is required if the girl is Not Rashida ( can not manage her own money)

if the girl is rashida then the permission is only a precaution (Ehtyaat)

secondly the permission of the parents who reject mut3a all together is not required because they are committing Uthool and their authority is Null in that case

Uthool is to prevent the girl from marrying the suitable.

Rashida is the girl that can manage her own money accounts .

So yes people are abusing muta and the abuse of it is the lack of use of it . obviously god sanctioned the law for a reason or not??? did he put the law to be applied or to stay as ink on paper ?

Did god sanction mut3a for no reason?

Then why the taboo and the Hush hush as you say? why the shame from the hallal but no shame from the haraam?

I had three different girls in the past inviting me to haraam like lets go for holiday and spend the time in hotel lets hold hands and kiss , lets talk and talk and spend time alone and each one of them i proposed marriage and that was the break up between us because they got offended...

its funny how the haraam is not offensive for them but the hallal is offensive !!!!

alhamdulillah I was protected from falling into fornication or what they were asking for even though i spent many years alone but that loneliness is much nicer than what they are asking for...

as one of the brothers said previously that most of these people are like the emu that puts its head in the sand while Kumar is fooling around with their daughters. ( No my daughter doesn't do like that)

Edited by alimohamad40
  • Advanced Member

Quite a discovery! very well said Ali. The abuse is from not using the option. Still dont understand why they broke off, when you suggested Mutah. Maybe because they didnt want to be called wives at that time, and wanted an open door relation.

May I ask where you from and where did these instances happen (and which country's native were these ladies) - just for knowledge.