Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
UIE

Mutah- Is It Justified In 21th Century

Rate this topic

Today at my youth group this topic came up it became clear that most sisters felt it was unjustified so i wanted to ask all you where you stand on this topic.

Like so many things in life - mutah can be used or misused... Mutah is one of the best solution for so many of the problems in todays society... Unfortunately we dont promote it. There are so many people in our communities who do all haraam - mutah would be such a blessing for them.

Today at my youth group this topic came up it became clear that most sisters felt it was unjustified so i wanted to ask all you where you stand on this topic.

Muta'a is more justified than ever. If gambling were not forbidden, I would make a confident and large wager that it will become the norm for Muslim youth, particularly in the West but not only there, to engage in at least a few muta'as, whether physical or just for simple boy-girl companionship before settling down to permanent marriage. Simply due to the challenges of the times and the delays on permanent marriage imposed by modernity.

Edited by kadhim

As i posted on another thread, Basically the way i look at Mutah is that it gives you the permissibility to have a relationship with a woman - legally. Now its upto us whether we want sex out of it or just companionship. With a contract, it clarifies the intentions, which are usually unclear in starting relationships otherwise.

I think its the best solution for the greed and attraction of the 21st Century.

ipb.global.registerReputation( 'rep_post_2245955', { domLikeStripId: 'like_post_2245955', app: 'forums', type: 'pid', typeid: '2245955' }, parseInt('0') );

I think Mutah certainly has a place in today's world just purely to assist in avoiding potential haram. It can be used in a non-sexual way to allow a man and a woman to get to know each other better before marriage, or to fulfill needs. And in today's hedonistic world, fulfulling needs in a haram way is everywhere and almost cannot be avoided.

Hence the value of Mutah.

The community just needs to accept it, that's all. :)

Salaam aleikum, I agree with a lot of what has already been said. Allah (swt) is All-knowing, and therefore He provides humanity with rules that are relevant for all times and places. And He is Just, and therefore provides humanity with rules that provide the best sollutions for every need and problem we are faced with. Imam Ali said 'everytime one door of halaal is shut, 1000 doors of haraam are opened.' There are so many problems in todays world that would have been avoided if this door of mercy had not been shut as a solution for humanity.

I'm a sister and I think that it's justified.

I agree with what seems to be the general consensus- that we need it now more than ever. We're living in a world where the general trend is the postponement of marriage (be it due to social, cultural, or economic reasons), and alhamduliAll-hIslam has a solution for this.

The problem is, it's often misrepresented (i.e. used to "halaalify" prostitution in Iran), misused (i.e. using Mutah to justify relationships when one has the ability to support them and their partner or to have a relationship with a non-Muslim) and has negative connotations (blame culture) such as a lack of control, promiscuity, etc.

Just my two cents B)

So I definitely support Mutah... when it's used for the right reasons

I've seen people dating for quite some time so that they decide if they want to get married, my question is, Isn't mut'ah useful for dating? I mean the couple could do Mut'ah and live together to find if they're good together. In Islam, dating is Haraam, but mut'ah can be done instead.

Recently I've read an article that says in Mexico, couples can get married for 2 years, and If they decided to separate, they won't have any problem going to the Court

As a women I did not think highly of Mutah because I was not educated enough about it. I did not think highly of it. Once I got educated in the matter and realized the importance of it in order for people not to commit sin my thoughts completly changed. I have to admit this happened when I was offered Mutah by a guy I was talking to because he felt it would be better so we do not commit sin in our conversations. We agreed on no sexual intercourse in the contract. If it were not for his recomendation I believe I would of committed sin.

Mutah is importatnt in todays society for both men and women because we are only human and have feelings. Once we feel things for one another we do not go straight to marriage because we need to get to know each other and the best way of doing this is by Mutah.

salam.gif

You can ask the same question for just about anything in Islam. Is polygamy justified in the 21st century? Is hejab justified in the 21st century?

Islam is not based on mindset of the 21st century.

Interesting comment. Do you think we should make a choice between living Islam or living the 21st century? I've often wondered if there was not a way to do it "in between", including both

Yes, and it is probably even MORE justified these days. People are putting off permanent marriage till after they finish their education, start a career, etc...As for some people who don't like the concept at all, they don't have to participate in it and should keep their thoughts to themselves.

I absolutely agree, Mutah is a necessity in this century (not the way you are thinking). Its perfect for couples who want to get married, this way they can know each other before getting married (know each others likes, dislikes, what they want in life, expectations from each other). So many couples i know who were married without even knowing their spouses before, and they are really unsatisfied. But they feel they are stuck in this.

The concept of engagement should be removed and Mutah should be introduced. This way a couple can know each other at a personal level (not sexual but thats up to the couple and families). It really is a beautiful thing.

No, it's not justified. I also disagree with it ever being justified. Next time you try and justify it, just imagine your daughters or sisters going from one man to the next in exchange for money.

Also, how about marrying 9 year olds? Is it justified for rich men in Suadi to marry 9 and 10 year olds who would otherwise just be living a life of hard labor and never go to school?

^ Its halal and your feelings doesn't matter on this. If you dont agree to it then know Prophet (pbuh) introduced it, so you are basically not agreeing to the Prophet of Allah. Unless you are not a shia, this topic is not even up for a debate. Its allowed.

Next time a muslim is about to do a second marriage, just imagine his daughter sharing a husband with someone else.

"can you imagine your daughters and sisters doing Mutah?"

What the hell kind of question is that? Yes I very much can. The way you should have said it is "Just because it is lawful, doesn't make it wajib" and not "just because you can, doesn't mean you should"

Mr. Coldcow, please do share whether you are Sunni or Shia so that if you're the former we can choose to ignore your opinions on a forum that's made only for Shias.

I don't know

"can you imagine your daughters and sisters doing Mutah?"

What the hell kind of question is that? Yes I very much can. The way you should have said it is "Just because it is lawful, doesn't make it wajib" and not "just because you can, doesn't mean you should"

Mr. Coldcow, please do share whether you are Sunni or Shia so that if you're the former we can choose to ignore your opinions on a forum that's made only for Shias.

I didn't say "can you imagine," I said "just imagine your daughters or sisters going from one man to the next in exchange for money."

I still think what I said is more correct. Just because you have a lawful means (within the bounds of an Islamic state that allows it) of giving into your sexual desires, doesn't mean you should. That makes more sense to me, and goes more towards the point I was trying to make.

Also, I think I'm Shia. I pray with my hands at my sides, I go to a Shia masjid we call an imambara whenever there's one in the city I'm in, I go to majlises during Muharram, etc. But I don't curse the first three caliphs, I often pray Jummah with Sunnis whenever I don't have a Shia masjid available to me, and I pray 5 times a day (not 3) whenever possible. I mean I consider myself Muslim, but if I had to put a label on myself, I'd say I was Shia.

I just have my own set of values and I think for myself when evaluating anything, be it religion or science or politics. So according to my personal values, using women for companionship in exchange for money just doesn't fly. I can see how it was a useful tool at one point to "prevent" zina by weak minded soldiers, but I don't see any legitimate use for it now.

Thank You all for your response and although I personally agree with the institution of Mutah and believe it is quite beneficial especially in Western Society like where I live at the same time I think we need to also be considerate of other peoples views. If one agrees to it then let them practice it and if someone feels uncomfortable it is also okay because A) it is not obligatory part and B.) there is no compulsion in Islam

I don't know

I didn't say "can you imagine," I said "just imagine your daughters or sisters going from one man to the next in exchange for money."

I still think what I said is more correct. Just because you have a lawful means (within the bounds of an Islamic state that allows it) of giving into your sexual desires, doesn't mean you should. That makes more sense to me, and goes more towards the point I was trying to make.

Also, I think I'm Shia. I pray with my hands at my sides, I go to a Shia masjid we call an imambara whenever there's one in the city I'm in, I go to majlises during Muharram, etc. But I don't curse the first three caliphs, I often pray Jummah with Sunnis whenever I don't have a Shia masjid available to me, and I pray 5 times a day (not 3) whenever possible. I mean I consider myself Muslim, but if I had to put a label on myself, I'd say I was Shia.

I just have my own set of values and I think for myself when evaluating anything, be it religion or science or politics. So according to my personal values, using women for companionship in exchange for money just doesn't fly. I can see how it was a useful tool at one point to "prevent" zina by weak minded soldiers, but I don't see any legitimate use for it now.

Thank you so much cold cow. I've never said this to anyone before but I would gladly cook a feast for you. No one said it better. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I mean God, that's all I ever needed to say to those goons. Mutah may be halal, but no offense to you mutah lovers, it's more destructive than constructive. Meh.

Shalom

if nikkah marriage is justified, then mutah marriage is also justified !

Men and Women, both will bring negative/positive reasoning to hate or support. But if its done with god in mind, then mutah marriage is not less than a pious act.

Edited by Aftahb

I would like to see early permanent marriage become the norm before muta, surely that is the ideal for the ummah. And then muta be reserved for specific circumstances. I don't believe that a man has any business contracting muta with another woman if he is already married to a healthy, believing woman.

Thank you so much cold cow. I've never said this to anyone before but I would gladly cook a feast for you. No one said it better. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I mean God, that's all I ever needed to say to those goons. Mutah may be halal, but no offense to you mutah lovers, it's more destructive than constructive. Meh.

Shalom

It's also creepy.