Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Marrying A Christian. Seeking Instructions

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Salam Alykum,

I am to marry a christian woman I love and I am seeking guidance on the following:

1- How can I ask her to convert to Islam before marriage?

I know that she might refused, but I'll ask her anyway. If she refused, I'll try to convince her to convert overtime and insha'Allah she will.

If you have experienced this, can you write your story? How did you convince her to convert? When is the right time to talk to her about this?

By the way, she is a christian orthodox and she is a Russian.

2- Is there any online website for Shia Islamic articles and ebooks in English?

I'm an Arab and English is my second language. It would be great if I can find sources in English so she can read and so I can find keywords in English so I can talk to her and educate her about Islam.

Thank you.

• Advanced Member

Salam,

Maybe instead of outwardly saying 'convert', you can explain to her that Islam is a huge part of your life that bares significance, and if she is to marry you she needs to discover why its important to you and understand it.

As for website, I believe al-islam.org has resources in several languages, also most of the maraje websites have english sections with literature concerning Islam. A very helpful website created by a Shia sister is revertmuslims.com, it is mainly for non Muslims or new Muslims to learn about Islam so you might find it most helpful.

Inshallah both of you will be guided, may God bless your marriage.

• Basic Members

The Prophet actually wrote a letter to the Christians in St. Catherine's Monastery, promising them that if a Christian woman married a Muslim man, she would not have to convert at all, and could even attend church. Original text can be found here:

http://www.paklinks....-monastery.html

and here is the official Church's link:

http://st-katherine.net/en/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=65

Youtube video here:

and here...

And Quranic proof here, at (5:5)~

"(Lawful unto you in marriage) are (not only) chaste women who are believers, but chaste women among the People of the Book, revealed before your time..."

This verse, as noted, says that Islam permits Muslim men to marry non-Muslim women who are Christians and Jews. =)

Edited by Exorcised

According to many scholars and in a number of hadiths, marrying a Christian (at least permanently) would be haram. I would advise you to reconsider this.

And not to intrude too much on your private affairs, but you mention English is not your first language and this is a Russian woman. I hope this is not a so-called "mail order bride" which is fairly common from Russia. If so, apart from the problem of her being Christian, this would be a very bad idea and you could end up getting taken advantage of by a woman only looking for a green card and your money, or even just someone who is trying to criminally scam you without any marriage.

• Veteran Member

Mashallah on your nuptuals. I have to say that i think its not a good idea to marry someone if you dont accept who they are NOW. If you are happy for her to remain Christian then theres no reason why it shouldnt be a long and happy marriage =)

• Veteran Member

macissac according to qu'ran and Allama Tabataba'i the marriage is lawful!!! nothing can abrogate surah five. so may i repeat a phrase you all should have edged in your minds DO not forbid yourselves what Allah has made lawful for you. and no i am not looking for a sophist debate so keep it to yourself please.

To the OP brother do not ask her to convert if she is interested let her do so, but do not make that a condition you may lose the person you love. and Allah has mercy on all us abrahamic religions so do not be pigheaded

Edited by AlMuttaqi
  • Advanced Member

It is permissible for a Muslim man to marry a Christian woman. If done so, it is his duty to never let her religion overpower his. Another crucial issue revolves around your willingness to start a family. Now, if you two decide to have babies then it is best to discuss which faith the child will be expected to practice. Because in intra marital relationships children can easily be confused or mislead. Again, it is your responsibility to make sure that your children are getting the proper teachings of Islam. This may be difficult, given the fact that the mother is a Christian, but not impossible. My intentions are not to scare you but to remind you of the important matters that should be reviewed beforehand. In any case, it is better if she naturally converts (to be on the safe side).

• Veteran Member

It is permissible for a Muslim man to marry a Christian woman. If done so, it is his duty to never let her religion overpower his. Another crucial issue revolves around your willingness to start a family. Now, if you two decide to have babies then it is best to discuss which faith the child will be expected to practice. Because in intra marital relationships children can easily be confused or mislead. Again, it is your responsibility to make sure that your children are getting the proper teachings of Islam. This may be difficult, given the fact that the mother is a Christian, but not impossible. My intentions are not to scare you but to remind you of the important matters that should be reviewed beforehand. In any case, it is better if she naturally converts (to be on the safe side).

i never understood picking the religion for a child. shouldnt the child do that after he sees which one is better for him????????? i think its his decision.

• Advanced Member

It's the parent's responsibility to nurture and guide the child. We as parents need to give our child reason to believe that Islam is the only religion. No child miraculously learns or is born with the ability to choose their own faith. Yes, when they are adults your duty ends and they will be accountable for their actions.

Any marriage is doomed to failure if one expects to change the other. While marriages sometimes end in divorce Christians do not enter into it with the understanding it is temporary, they do not accept mutah as a contract. Also, Christians often share a household but it is not considered marriage.

Edited by satyaban