Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

? About Music..again :p

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam All :)

Okay I know this question has been asked 100000000000000000000000000000000...times but is music haraam ?? Let me finish lol :P Like are all time of music haraam..even the ones that dont keep you " away" from Allah ?? For an example..Islamic music :/ It has some drums beats and pianos and such..Would that too also be consider haram ?

Ws :) Thanks in Advance :D

• Advanced Member

Assalam Oe Alakum!

About music i once attended a lecture where the the Scholar had told us that not exatcly ALL music is haram, those that talk about Sex, Alachol, Drugs, Gangs, Parties are really nothing more then categroized as haram, but the Nasheeds that remind you of Allah keep him close, have lessons, etc these are clean and are encouraged to listen to instead.

But the most important thing is to really always keep Allah close in your mind, never listen to those that encourage satanic acts. But whether drum beats and pianos, i personally believe (i said before) which ever keep you close to Allah should be encouraged.

• Advanced Member

What about the music thats sort of inbetween? It doesn't talk about anything like sex, drugs, alcohol but i guess it wouldn't exactly remind you of Allah either?

Something like this( i promise its not dirty or anything that you said wasnt allowed) -

• Basic Members

W/salaam

According to Ayatullah Seestani, Music that is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings is prohibited. Today, most music that is written fits this criterion. It is also stated in the Quran that music is forbidden in the following verse:

And of mankind is he who purchases lahw to mislead (men) from the Path of Allâh without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allâh, the Verses of the Qur'ân) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-fire)” (Luqman:6)

According to Imam Baqir (as),lahw in this context refers to music or any stories that diverts men away from Allah.

The reason that Islam forbids such music is because of two reasons. Firstly, music is capable of intoxicating an individual. It has the ability to change one’s mood. It may therefore cause somebody to act in a way that does not befit a Muslim. More importantly, music today is responsible for the degradation of moral values. It changes the way people think about certain actions or ways of life, making them acceptable to the individual. This is clear in most lyrics to songs today.

So i think that if the music you're referring to is not suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings, (i.e not similar to music played at such gatherings) and if its words take you towards Allah, then i don't think there should be a problem with listening to such..

• Veteran Member

I was going to start my own topic but maybe someone will answer here:

I'm confused about what exactly is Ghina. Supposedly it's haraam and it's like fluctuating your voice to make it sound good. I listened to a lecture today saying that even some Quran recitation is haraam because it's "Ghina." But I thought it was good to recite my prayers and Quran in a pleasant voice and so that's what I usually do. Instead of just SAYING my prayers I recite it slightly singsong-like but not like an actual song. Am I committing a sin?!? I'm so confused. Aghhhhh.

And in all of the Quran recitation I've heard, the reciter isn't just SAYING it, they're making it sound pleasant...

I was going to start my own topic but maybe someone will answer here:

I'm confused about what exactly is Ghina. Supposedly it's haraam and it's like fluctuating your voice to make it sound good. I listened to a lecture today saying that even some Quran recitation is haraam because it's "Ghina." But I thought it was good to recite my prayers and Quran in a pleasant voice and so that's what I usually do. Instead of just SAYING my prayers I recite it slightly singsong-like but not like an actual song. Am I committing a sin?!? I'm so confused. Aghhhhh.

And in all of the Quran recitation I've heard, the reciter isn't just SAYING it, they're making it sound pleasant...

From Ayatollah Khomeni's website: http://www.leader.ir/langs/en/

Lahw Definition

Q: What are lahwī music and singing?

A: Any music or singing which due to its characteristics keeps human beings away from Allah, the sublime, and away from moral merits and spiritual matters and drives them towards sinful acts and carelessness is lahwī and ḥarām.

From Ayatollah Sistani's website: http://www.sistani.org/index.php?p=616687&id=1200

Question :

Some people recite salaams on the tune of some songs. Is it haram or halal ?

Answer :

If the recitation is not in a Lahwi manner, it is not haram. (Lahwi means something that is provocative and suitable for revelry).

--------------------------------------

Based on the above I'd say you were okay? ^_^ Oh and I think it also depends on if you read in front of non-mahram males; which I've heard is not permissible if you er, make your voice sound all pretty and whatnot. But you can always ask your question at either website (from the links above) to get a more definite answer. :squeez:

Wasalaam

• Advanced Member

Also, i live with my brother, who enjoys listening to all sorts of music. I find this annoying, as i have done well to emit music from my life, infact i do not like listening to music as i used to. I find it a distraction. But what can i really do? I cannot really tell him my reasons for not wanting to listen to music. He is much older then me, also he VERY much loves his music.

On another note, i sometimes listen to instrumental music when i train. This is the only music i do outside of Hadiths etc. Is instrumental ok? I have tried to find the view of Sistani but sturggled to find it. If someone can help direct me i would be much obliged.

رحمك الله

Rahimakalla

Ali

• Advanced Member

And what did you understand from that post. Are instrumentals halal? It's all I have either, I used to be a producer. (Not that huge, just minor)

It is Haraam. Most due to change in ones state of mind more then anything else. Which is common sense really, as the music i listen to when i go gym makes me feel 'aggressive'. So that is something i need to phase out completely too.

From Ayatullah Sistani which i found on another thread:

#535 Music is an art that has spread far and wide during these days. Some varieties of this art are permissible while others are forbidden; therefore, it is permissible to listen to the first while it is forbidden to listen to the latter.

#536 Music that is permissible is the music that does not entail entertainment in gatherings held for that purpose. Forbidden music is the music that is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings.

#537 The expression “the music or the song that is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings” does not mean that the music or the song’s tune amuses the heart or changes the mental state because there is nothing wrong in it. The expression actually means that the person listening to the music or the song’s tune —especially if he is an expert in these matters— can distinguish that this tune is used in the entertainment and amusement gatherings or that it is similar to the tunes used therein.

#541 Singing (al-ghinã’) is harãm: doing it, listening to it, or living of it. By “singing — al-ghinã’,” I mean an amusing statement expressed in the tunes that are suitable for those who provide entertainment and amusement.

#542 It is not permissible to recite the Holy Qur’ãn, supplications (du‘ãs), and words of praise in tunes that are commensurate to entertainment and amusement gatherings.Based on obligatory precaution, one must refrain from reciting other non-amusing statements, in poetry or prose, in that tune.

#543 The prohibition of intentionally listening and giving ear to harãm songs and music has beenmentioned in the holy tradition. The Messenger of Allãh (s.a.w.) said, “And the person with the [sin of] singing (al-ghinã’) will be raised [on the day of resurrection] blind, deaf and dumb. The person with [the sin of] adultery, of wood-wind, and of drum will also be raised in the same way.” (1)He also said, “Whoever listens to the entertainment (song and music), lead will be melted inside his ear on the day of judgement.” (2) He also said, “Singing and music are enchantment for adultery.” (3) That is, it is a stepping stone or a way that leads to adultery.

#543 - is so true and concerning at the same time. Music really is an enchantment for adultery. It is horrible when you think about it, the power music has over people, the way it can influence people. It is no wonder that music is one of the most powerful tools in delivering the message(s) of those in power. So many subliminal messages which are not even obvious to those unaware.

Music most certainly played a role in making me have sinful tendencies when i was younger. I only wish i eradicated music from my life much earlier.

رحمك الله

Rahimakalla

Ali.

Edited by AbuLayla