Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Kadhimi

Are Syeds Really Special?

Rate this topic

Salaam everybody,

Ever since, 2 years ago, I have been much indulged in the study of Shia ideology and theology because I originate from a Syed/Shia family (mom/father) and due to some vivified reason, I find myself as a lover of the Ahlul-Bayt. I didn't come to my senses until I was nearly 17 years old and got hit by a big yellow school bus (not literally) when my parents told me that I originate from Muhammad's family through his daughter, Fatima A.S. Ever since, I have tried my best to read more into the Islamic history through Shia and Sunni scope and I have, evidently, found Shia Islam, the most authentic sect and the truth. In regards to that and my further research, I wanted to ask if Syeds are special and should stay within their denominations? One of the reasons why I ask this is because, recently, my mother has brought about a topic of my marriage with this potential cousin of mine. She is a Naqawi and my mother would love it if I marry within her family but my father begs the differ that I should marry outside my family and of course, to a nice shia/ or syed girl. I am charged with my father's belief and my mother abhors it. Besides, I am afraid that cousin marriage will bring out recessive genetic disorders in my future progeny (God Forbid); however I am aware that is not the case every time. When I ask my mother why I have to marry her and not another syed/shia girl, she says that it may result in future complications and she starts to lecture me of these incidents concerning the Ahlul Bayt as to why they happened and for what specific reason. My mother has dropped this topic now because I am in my 2nd year university but I'm sure that she will bring about this topic in the upcoming future and would hate to break her heart. I seek some counsel from you people as to what I should do and why? I don't feel comfortable talking about this with my parents because they tend to be childish and are stuck in their own notion of mating.

Thanks! :D

Edited by Kadhimi

syeds are not really that important unless you really live up to that title. I mentioned this in another thread too. Being Syed means that you actually have extra responsibilities on you from personal to societal levels. Reach a local sheikh and discuss with him what those are. Being a syed means that you are from the family of Ahlul Bayt(as) so do know that every sin you do is actually worse penalty for it, since you are from the pure lineage. Claiming to be syed is easy, but none of us who call ourselves syeds, deserve that title.

Discuss with your family if you are performing the tasks of Syed. Being born in a shia family doesnt make one shia but there is a specific guidelines one has to follow to be consider shia, similarly being born in a Syed family doesnt make one syed unless he earns that title.

Edited by rballer

Salaam everybody,

Ever since, 2 years ago, I have been much indulged in the study of Shia ideology and theology because I originate from a Syed/Shia family (mom/father) and due to some vivified reason, I find myself as a lover of the Ahlul-Bayt. I didn't come to my senses until I was nearly 17 years old and got hit by a big yellow school bus (not literally) when my parents told me that I originate from Muhammad's family through his daughter, Fatima A.S. Ever since, I have tried my best to read more into the Islamic history through Shia and Sunni scope and I have, evidently, found Shia Islam, the most authentic sect and the truth. In regards to that and my further research, I wanted to ask if Syeds are special and should stay within their denominations? One of the reasons why I ask this is because, recently, my mother has brought about a topic of my marriage with this potential cousin of mine. She is a Naqawi and my mother would love it if I marry within her family but my father begs the differ that I should marry outside my family and of course, to a nice shia/ or syed girl. I am charged with my father's belief and my mother abhors it. Besides, I am afraid that cousin marriage will bring out recessive genetic disorders in my future progeny (God Forbid); however I am aware that is not the case every time. When I ask my mother why I have to marry her and not another syed/shia girl, she says that it may result in future complications and she starts to lecture me of these incidents concerning the Ahlul Bayt as to why they happened and for what specific reason. My mother has dropped this topic now because I am in my 2nd year university but I'm sure that she will bring about this topic in the upcoming future and would hate to break her heart. I seek some counsel from you people as to what I should do and why? I don't feel comfortable talking about this with my parents because they tend to be childish and are stuck in their own notion of mating.

Thanks! :D

1. I'm assuming you are from the India/Pakistan region because that's where the Syed thing is all blown out of proportion. My theory is that it is a variation of the Hindu caste system. Syeds = Nobility is how it seems to have penetrated its way into the beliefs of the region.

2. Why don't you just tell your mother that you don't want to marry your cousin and leave it at that ?

syeds are not really that important unless you really live up to that title. I mentioned this in another thread too. Being Syed means that you actually have extra responsibilities on you from personal to societal levels. Reach a local sheikh and discuss with him what those are. Being a syed means that you are from the family of Ahlul Bayt(as) so do know that every sin you do is actually worse penalty for it, since you are from the pure lineage. Claiming to be syed is easy, but none of us who call ourselves syeds, deserve that title.

Discuss with your family if you are performing the tasks of Syed. Being born in a shia family doesnt make one shia but there is a specific guidelines one has to follow to be consider shia, similarly being born in a Syed family doesnt make one syed unless he earns that title.

While I do agree with you that being a decendant of the Ahle Bayt (as) is an honor and that there should be a personal responsibility of living up to their example, I do however feel that there should be no difference between a Syed and a Non Syed in setting an example of being a good Muslim. Once a person has read the Shahadhah then they are a Muslim and have the same responsibilities to spread the religion and follow the rules established by Islam.

Also, I've read differing accounts of Syed's being punished more for their sins. Some say it will happen, others say not.

1. I'm assuming you are from the India/Pakistan region because that's where the Syed thing is all blown out of proportion. My theory is that it is a variation of the Hindu caste system. Syeds = Nobility is how it seems to have penetrated its way into the beliefs of the region.

2. Why don't you just tell your mother that you don't want to marry your cousin and leave it at that ?

1. Yea, I am from Azad Kashmir and there are merely 14-15 million Syeds in these countries of 1.25 billion people so it is not really blown out of proportion... yet. Instead, Being a syed is overemphasized and at times, over-exaggerated for class-endogamy and keeping the lineage "pure" alongside other castes and families as well. So it is not really fair to say that Syed is the only and, "all blown out of proportion" caste.

Are you implying that Syeds are the product of nobility seekers who fled from Iraq and Iran to save their own skin and took refugee in Indo-Pak subcontinent?

2. I did... did I tell you that I am from Azad Kashmir?

Edited by Kadhimi

You don't need a job. Ill send u khums money. :lol:

jokes jokes. Basically u cant accept sadqa and if u really really need it, u can claim some khums money.

Other then that, since ur Syed, plz pray for me and ask Allah (aj) to grant me Jannat Al Firdaus and save me and my family and progeney (inshallah) from Jahannam. Behaki Fatima (as) wa abuha wa ba'luha wa banuha.

Shukran

wassalam

Other than getting Khums, Syeds aren't special. Just look at what Allah says about Abu Lahab, the Prophet's uncle:

In the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful

1. Perish the two hands of Abu Lahab, and perish he.

2. His wealth and his children will not benefit him!

3. He will be burnt in a Fire of blazing flames!

4. And his wife too, who carries wood.

5. In her neck is a twisted rope of Masad (palm fiber).

1. Yea, I am from Azad Kashmir and there are merely 14-15 million Syeds in these countries of 1.25 billion people so it is not really blown out of proportion... yet. Instead, Being a syed is overemphasized and at times, over-exaggerated for class-endogamy and keeping the lineage "pure" alongside other castes and families as well. So it is not really fair to say that Syed is the only and, "all blown out of proportion" caste.

Are you implying that Syeds are the product of nobility seekers who fled from Iraq and Iran to save their own skin and took refugee in Indo-Pak subcontinent?

2. I did... did I tell you that I am from Azad Kashmir?

Well being a Musavi Syed myself with parents from Hyderabad, India I'm very familiar with how the Syed concept is overblown in the Sub Continent.

No, I'm not implying that Syeds are the product of nobility seekers from Persia who migrated to India. What I am saying is that why isn't there such an emphasis on Syeds in Iran/Iraq or anywhere else in the Middle East for that matter ? Why the importance to maintaining your bloodline so much? That sounds a bit of a snobby British concept to me as well. Aren't all Muslims the same as the teeth of a comb ?

Finally, you're the one that has to get married. Don't marry someone you won't be happy with is what I'm saying to you. If you feel your cousin can make you happy based on what is important to you then go ahead and marry her. However, if you don't feel that you can be happy with her then it would be best for you and her to not marry her.

Just my opinion, of course.

salaam Brothers

look brothers i am a Syed (Syed Sarosh Husain Rana NAqvi) n i am not saying that this is special in the worldly sense but as per spiritual matter goes i feel honored to be a part of that family that has its roots directly from the 10th Shia Imam (IMAM HAZRAT ALI NAQI A.s), n im honored to be born a Shiite Syed.

with best compliments,

your brother

:yaali:

w/salaam

(salam)

I come form a sayed family, there is nothing special at all about it, a mans worth is in his actions, not in the achievements of his ancestors.

I haven't really met many sayeds from the middle east, but I imagine them to be more dignified than those of us from the indo-pak subcontinent, all my family seem to do is sit around angrandizing themselves, and claiming that there are too many 'fake' sayeds in pakistan.

Without a doubt this is based on the hindu class system

ws

Edited by ShahHussain

salaam Brothers

look brothers i am a Syed (Syed Sarosh Husain Rana NAqvi) n i am not saying that this is special in the worldly sense but as per spiritual matter goes i feel honored to be a part of that family that has its roots directly from the 10th Shia Imam (IMAM HAZRAT ALI NAQI A.s), n im honored to be born a Shiite Syed.

with best compliments,

your brother

w/salaam

SOLIDARITY BRO! :!!!:

No, I'm not implying that Syeds are the product of nobility seekers from Persia who migrated to India. What I am saying is that why isn't there such an emphasis on Syeds in Iran/Iraq or anywhere else in the Middle East for that matter ? Why the importance to maintaining your bloodline so much? That sounds a bit of a snobby British concept to me as well. Aren't all Muslims the same as the teeth of a comb ?

Man, you have no idea how much Arabs brag about being Sayyid in front of Sunnis to tick them off and more in front of Shia just to tick them off for comic purposes (for laughs in my circle of friends). I come from an eccentric Kashmiri family and ever since my childhood, no Desi person has ever taken a liking to me as much to stay friends with me for a considerable duration for justifiable reasons that favour me 99% of the time. While that was taking place, I was chilling with mostly Whites and then Persians and Arabs and just being sayyid, is their bragging right. And I am talking way before I realized that I was a sayyid myself. In a way, Arabs are more introverted than Desi's but again we account for bigger margin of population with a rich, complex and enhanced history so we tend to be included in pretty much every sociological example.

Other then that, since ur Syed, plz pray for me and ask Allah (aj) to grant me Jannat Al Firdaus and save me and my family and progeney (inshallah) from Jahannam. Behaki Fatima (as) wa abuha wa ba'luha wa banuha.

I shall do that with great alacrity... respect!

salaam brother

look brother i being a syed doesn't mean that i am a pure Muslim and that being a syed i would be allowed to go into jannat without any problem, this is a misconception. Brother i would have to go through all of those thing that you will gone through after life( Khuda Na Khasta). It doesn't mean that if i don't perform Namaz or if i don't perform haz during my lifetime i would be allowed to enter Janna without any restriction, brother i believe it is not you nor me to decide whose Namaz or Haz will be accepted but it is only the will Of Allah that does matter, right bro ?? :blush:

Brother Our 12 Imam's also had non-Syed's during their time but that doesn't mean that they used to criticize them of not being a born Syed but brother the Imam's respected them same as they respected their Syeds but bro imagine at that time their was no such thing as complexion, every Shiite was equal, they sat together, they ate together, they live together, they fight together n also they died together. I know at present there is a complete change of tide, but brother i am telling you don't bother listening to any other Shiite if they misbehaved with you for your class the only thing matter is that your a Shiite and that is all my friend that you need in this world, you should indulge in your prayers n other religious activities and believe what your heart says n don't bother what a group of people tell you. Our Maula Ali a.s rightly quote :-

• Submission to Allah's Will is the best companion; wisdom is the noblest heritage; theoretical and practical knowledge are the best signs of distinction; deep thinking will present the clearest picture of every problem.

• One who says unpleasant things about others, will himself quickly become a target of their scandal.

• Sunni references: al-Tabarani, on the authority of Imam Ali
    al-Sawa'iq al-Muhriqah, by Ibn Hajar al-Haythami, Ch. 11, section 1, p236
    A more complete version of the tradition which has also been reported by the Sunnis, is as follows: Ibn Abbas (ra) narrated: When the verse "Those who believe and do righteous deeds are the best of the creation (Quran 98:7)" was revealed, the Messenger of Allah (PBUH&HF) said to Ali: "They are you and your Shia." He continued: "O Ali! (On the day of Judgment) you and your Shia will come toward Allah well-pleased and well-pleasing, and your enemies will come angry with their head forced up. Ali said: "Who are my enemies?" The Prophet (PBUH&HF) replied: "He who disassociates himself from you and curses you. And glad tiding to those who reach first under the shadow of al-'Arsh on the day of resurrection." Ali asked: "Who are they, O the Messenger of Allah?" He replied: "Your Shia, O Ali, and those who love you."

So Brother you will go through many hadits where Maula Ali a.s quoted his sayings for all his shiites but not his syeds only. :blush:

and as for the problems in Iran n Iraq that my friend is not a good thing, i advise you to only imagine what our Imam would do if they encounter these issues among their Shiite presently, i believe our Imame Zamana (May Allah be pleased with him) would not at all be happy if he would see his Shiites fighting among themselves over such things. And as i myself has my respective view on this matter n believe me brother not every person has the same view and it only shows their lack of knowledge for their Ahlebait (A.s).

and as for your wish my brother i am honoured that you asked me to pray for you but seriously brother Allah (Al mighty) would listen to your prayers as eager as he listens to mine.

May Allah And his Panjatane Paach (a.s) take you n your family under their gracious presence and fulfill each n every will of yours in this world as well as in the Afterlife. ( Ila hi - Ame en)

your brother from India,

Syed sArosh Husain naqvi

(bismillah)

(salam)

"If someone's deeds lower his/her position, their pedigree will not elevate it" - Imam Ali [a.s]

Simple.

Allah (swt) does not look at titles, but at the hearts of people. If pedigree really matters, then we would

be praising Abu Lahab and all the Holy Prophet's relatives with no exception...it's just not right.

As I come from a pakistani shia syed family I will point out that Being a syed has pretty much become a muslim purist caste. and although living in the US I completely disagree with it I do understand their point (its called racism). Kadhmi I will give you a simple argument for your mother which is this ask her that besides Imam Hasan Imam Husayn and Imam Muhammad Al Baqir ( May Allah Bless them all) how many of the rest of the Aimma(AS) are "pure" syed including By the way the Imam of Our time Abul Qasim Al Hujjat Ibn Al Hasan (as). and as far as marry other syed goes naqvis arent the only syeds out there, the others include Zaidi, Hussaini, Hasani, Musivi/kazimi, Rizvi, and Jafri (last one being the one i belong to).

And if all else qoute Bullay Shah's Banday Ho

Edited by UIE

Other than getting Khums, Syeds aren't special. Just look at what Allah says about Abu Lahab, the Prophet's uncle:

In the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful

1. Perish the two hands of Abu Lahab, and perish he.

2. His wealth and his children will not benefit him!

3. He will be burnt in a Fire of blazing flames!

4. And his wife too, who carries wood.

5. In her neck is a twisted rope of Masad (palm fiber).

Abu Lahab wasnt syed was he?? :/

Syeds are special same way as if one was born in a royal Family. However ignorance of being syed is wrong. Acting upon the virtues n teaching of all the previous syeds is far more important.

Edited by Sheraz

in one way yes because they are related to our Ahlul Bayt (a.s) however this means they have more responsibility and have more to account for if they sin (something i heard in a lecture). also you cant just go around calling yourself a sayyed but then go clubbing and live a haraam lifestyle, you have to achieve the status of a sayyed through your actions to deserve the name.

Guest RESPECTABLE?

1. Get one thing clear, Islam teaches people to respect all human beings with respect. Imam Ali (عليه السلام) quote in his letter to Malik e Ashtar about people being his brothers in religion or their equal in creation. ( I will make general points, I don’t have reference for hadithis or ayats, but these will be well known inshAllah.

Disrespect a momin or humiliating a momin in a gathering was compared with sin destroying the holy Kabah many times over. 

SO EVERY ONE DESERVES RESPECT. SYED OR NONE SYED SHOULDN'T  COME INTO IT.

Syed will get twice the rewards for good deeds but twice the punishment for sins, may Allah, the mirceful for give our sins, and may the 14 madomeen intercede on our behalf , but conditions for intercetion etc makes one afraid, what ever tribe you come from, which Allah Talah says he has divided into all the tribes, coloyrs etc so we may eecognize each other.

The Prophet has clearly stated again and again that he worries about his progeny afterward him? He wasnt just right in this regard untill the 14 the Imams were public fighres or before the occultation of the 12th Imam. 

Prophets hadis clearly says to respect his progeny and when asked about those who committee sins, the Prophet said respect them for my sake.

The holy Prophet did speak unless ordered or his every word was classes as wahi, take which side of interpitation, but even if some don’t believe in this and other hadis about syeds, Qur'an states clearly that Prophets progeny is special to such extent that they have different legal position in fiq as well. Not only they are entied to Khums( which people make out like syeds are good for nothing useless people who sit around waiting for handouts. Has the Muslim ummah filfilled its obligation towards syeds? Go and see the poverty in India and Pakistan, afew peers than are ripping of people is different issue but if you 15 million syeds say in 1.5 billion Muslims or 300 Shias, why are their syed families starving? Not out of choice, go and read the names of people kllled by sipah e sahaba or this or that laskhar, their are countless syeds that have been killed, their are graves of syeds in many towns and cities of sindh and punjab and Islam and especially Shia Islam is present in those places and descendants of those syeds are revered because not only they brought the Islam into Indian subcontinent but their decendts are still organizing azadari to keep the message of Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام) alive under very dangerous conditions and under circumstances that those who should be spreading the message as a good deed has turned it into a business where their extortionist fees are rising much faster than inflation. And yes there are none professional people who are khatibs, zakirs and even ulema but they are usually not that good and no one shows up so you are in position where you can pay and invited the professionals or your attempt to spread the mesage fails and the message is spreading and Shia ulema are becoming I fluential..) but from begin to now the syeds have faced the prisons, gallows and swords and bullets bravery. It was our job to ensure they had the job or money for a business so they could spread the message without worrying about money but it has been turned into a controversial subjects and then it ends up in places far and away from the poor syeds. Will we be asked about this? Didnt the Prophet say every relation will be severed on the day of judgement accept mine? Would he reward even those going to hell who helped his children. Didnt Imam raza (عليه السلام) say to mamon that he is closest to the Prophet instead of mamon who was descedant of propheys uncle, Abbas ibn abdul Mutalib, he said he would be oroud to marry his daugter to holy Prophet but Imam said he could never do that because his daughters untill the day of jugement are Prophets daughters daughters and he will definitely ask about how we treared them.

Lastly one must consider what the holy Qur'an says about this. According to syrah e yassin non Prophet will ever asked his ummat to compansate him for teaching his people their religion and the holy prohet was no diffrant, but when then companions insisted Allah ordered that say I don’t want any thi g in return of his soreading Islam but that you love( muwadaat has stronger meaning than love) fish has muwadat with water, it can’t live without it) ayat darood, Prophet emphasized that do not send incomplete blessings upon him, meaning don’t leave his progeny out of darood, thus the big debate about who is included in ayat e tataheer, hadis e kisssa isnt accepted to those who also don’t accept hadis e saqlain although more than enough Sunni ulema have stuck to the truth and said to follow Qur'an and the Ahlul Bayt) 

Thats why some argue that syeds do have a special place but even Shias are at the forfront of the argument that Prophets children don’t have any special status? Why are there so mich extra responsibility on saddat that just and mercifully Allah will punish them twice and reward them twi e as well? Why doesnt anyone have any issues with that why should we send blessings on progeny of the Prophet in which there were few masoomin and few pious and lots of sinners and we can’t even leave them any paying them some of my savings??? There might be trouble ahead......?