Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Taqiyya Lifestyle In Iranian Family

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

As an Iranian who was born outside of Iran, I was never raised as a muslim. Unfortunately, none of my uncles, aunts, cousins ​​and other are religious here in the west. As an Iranian, I feel it very hard to be a practicing muslim. I hope some Iranians on this forum to share a little about their experience about this. So far I dont have the courage to stand up to amily and say that I am a muslim, since I know I'm going to get ugly looks.

I wonder Iranians who have converted to Islam (come back) living with non-religious family, how they live.. I find it difficult.

I'm on holiday with 25 others in my family, and nobody knows that it is Ramadan imorra \ Tuesday. It says something ..

so your parents were original a muslim but then changed??

let me guess it's because they are anti-revolution ?!

it's politically motivated.

Most Iranians, who ran after the revolution has never been practicing muslims. I know that I am not alone on this, so therfore I wonder how practicing Iranian muslims are in a non religious family. There, Islam is not particularly popular, since it is not "Iranian enough".

• Advanced Member

I can't relate to you here but unfortunately a lot Iranians turned irreligious after the Revolution...I know many Iranians who know absolutely nothing about Islam however they're not against any one who is a practicing Muslim. Then there are those Iranians who are disrespectful towards Islam...pretty sad really. In my family I have a lot of non practicing Muslims, some are even disrespectful towards Islam but they're never directly disrespectful of Islam towards me...

I can't relate to you here but unfortunately a lot Iranians turned irreligious after the Revolution...I know many Iranians who know absolutely nothing about Islam however they're not against any one who is a practicing Muslim. Then there are those Iranians who are disrespectful towards Islam...pretty sad really. In my family I have a lot of non practicing Muslims, some are even disrespectful towards Islam but they're never directly disrespectful of Islam towards me...

Most of them were not religious before the revolution either. They were more "cultural Muslims".

• Veteran Member

I can't relate to you here but unfortunately a lot Iranians turned irreligious after the Revolution...

This ^^ is rubbish.

The people who became irreligious after the revolution were people who became religious because of the revolution.

So their temporary enlightenment was due to the revolution, and their deviation is due to their nafs.

Stop taking advantage of every little opportunity to slander the Islamic Revolution of Imam Khomeini (ra).

As for the OP:

Brother me and you are good friends and I am familiar with your problem. But I can't offer you any help because I don't even know how to handle my own situation. I just avoid everything. I don't talk to them about anything. If they inquire into the issue, I try to answer without lying. If they give a question where it is impossible to do so, I lie.

It's not very healthy, and I think it is better to be open with them. Then, when the discussion comes up, you can argue with reason and defend your positions.

Inshallah everything works out for the best.

Ya Ali

Edited by baradar_jackson
  • Advanced Member

@ Nima, yeah most of them were cultural Muslims but despite the fact that they weren't practicing Muslims they still respected it, especially during the months of Ramadan and Muharram.

@ BJ, I'm not saying that this was the case for all Iranians, but for some yes it was. And FYI I wasn't using this opportunity to slander anyone! The truth speaks for itself...

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

I am kind of in your position however in a better position, for me my family dont really follow Islam however they have no problem with me following it, if you were to ask my family what religion they are they would reply "Muslim" when really they dont even follow it only my mum does.

Also I think you should let your family know that being religious is positive and that it will make life better for u, would they prefer your robbed people or prayed? would they prefer you drank alcohol or fasted? would they prefer you watched haram stuff on ur computer or you going on your computer to learn duas? etc..

The thing is they may think religion is bad but if you explain to them how religion is actually making you a better person then im sure they wont have a problem with it .. then again ive never met your family so I cant say im 100% sure.

InshaAllah it works out for u bro

(wasalam)

@ Nima, yeah most of them were cultural Muslims but despite the fact that they weren't practicing Muslims they still respected it, especially during the months of Ramadan and Muharram.

@ BJ, I'm not saying that this was the case for all Iranians, but for some yes it was. And FYI I wasn't using this opportunity to slander anyone! The truth speaks for itself...

Iranians are not an exception here. If country like Egypt establish an Islamic state, then the so-called cultural muslims will leave their country. They have realized that they must now take religion seriously. So they can not drink on weekends, and then observe Ramadan and muharam. In fact, many Iranians believe that this was "thee good thing under shah". So one day "meshrob", another day fasting. But since Iran became an Islamic state, and therefore follows the Islamic rules, then its was difficult for so-called Muslims do leave under Iran.

• Advanced Member

Salam brother I am in a similar situation.

At the beginning when I started to pray and to grow a beard my mum told me I was being 'fanatic' etc. Eventually she got used to it and now doesn't say anything. Try to be upfront when the time is right and no matter how annoying the situation gets it will improve with the help of Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì.

Like others have said, use it as an opportunity to show that Islam actually makes you a better person, more responsible, more respectful of family values, more honest etc. Do that and inshAllah they will see their view of Islam was wrong, and who knows you may even guide some of them InshAllah!

• Advanced Member
Taqiyya Lifestyle In Iranian Family

Brother you are misinterpreting the word "taqiya"

The kind of Iranians I know as you describe is a kind of hypocrisy. It is opposite of Taqiya.

Please check the word taqiya in over here http://www.al-islam.org/encyclopedia/chapter6b/1.html

It is propagated in Quran while hypocrisy has been condemned in Quran.