Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Haji 2003

Paris Without Disneyland

Rate this topic

OK so the 7 and 3 year old kids (+wife) have joined me in Paris.

Challenge is now to convince the 7 year old who is now BRAND AWARE that we really don't need to go to Disneyland and that there are better alternatives. Lots of reasons for this:

1. Coming to Paris there's a lot of authentic French stuff to be seeing

2. You really don't want to give into dumbing down Yankee imperialism as far as you can help it

3. Disney is expensive

4. There are long queues at Disney

5. I've got the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland Paris and it reads like a military operation to get your family around without queues and without getting ripped off

So far have managed one day without giving in.

Helping the cause was the fact that Les Jardins Tuileries, just outside the Louvre has a little funfair. Decent rides for both of them, pricey, but well less than Disney. Also the fast-food outlet has a halal sign. This saved the day as far as the 7 year old was concerned, who was mutinying after a few hours in the Louvre.

I did try various tricks, like this was a palace for real princesses and not the fake stuff you get in fairy stories.

From my pov it was not as great as it could have been, I'd been on the lookout for the exhibits from Bishapur in Iran (pics on my site) which had been ripped off the site by the French. Still the Egyptian collection was way better than the British museum and the pre-Islamic Iranian collection was good nevertheless.

Wife also got to see the Mona Lisa.

Something else struck me, which was a Rafael painting of Jesus (a.s.). He's quite big, but does not seem circumcised. Hmm.

This is my entry into the genre of photos called: "Taking pictures of people taking pictures of the Mona Lisa". Google that and you'll find other peoples' efforts as well, I reckon mine's quite good.

092b608b.jpg

-I found the 'notre dame' cathedral to be very disapointing, it's tiny, i didn't go in, but from the outside, it wasn't impressive.

-People were not are rude as they are made out to be.

-I had a better pizza there than i had in italy

-The city is not as good as London, and I don't think i'd enjoy it if I was a young child.

-I'd didn't go to the Louvre, as many of the natives I spoke to said you need more than a day to get the full experience, I was only there for 10 hours or so

Edited by ShahHussain

awww Haji! ur kids seem so cute mashallah.. hmmmmmm.. I think u should still take em to Disney! lool.. or maybe find a smaller entertainment park? or like a mall with a play section? not sure what's there, but have fun and good luck :D

Hmm.. all things are American owned - good luck avoiding it.

Your daughter will remember Disneyland - she will not remember La Louvre - trust me - I know :angel:

Going on vacation is a compromise - if you think it is hard now - wait till she is 11 or 12 :!!!:

I loved Disneyland - it is like a purely kids place and it is well done for what it is...but then I am a tainted westerner. :blush:

Just before you guys report me to the authorities for child abuse! L'il Madam has been to Hongkong Disneyland 2 times in the past 4 years. The 3 year old really does not care where he is as long as he is in a car and it is going round and round.

Anyway yesterday we went to see some contemporary art at the Pompidou centre. Not a completely mad choice it is just behind where we are staying.

Admittedly it was a bit of a hard sell on my part and it took some convincing and I am not sure she was 100% convinced, there was a second visit to a local funfair just in case. But I found out that installation art "works", she liked going into things and exploring them.

2879eb43.jpg

Also what worked was giving her my camera and getting her to take pics of what she liked.

I did point out to her a couple of pieces that I thought could be "understood" by a 6 year old. "Superimposition et transparence" was one of them, I am sure you'll all "get it". You can see it here (not my pic):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/astonlau/83286657/lightbox/

Edited by Haji 2003

As salam alaikum.

Ill address you as Daddy.. because i will talk from a kids brain lol.

Daddy, are there farms here where i can go see animals ? or daddy maybe a zoo. Oh daddy can u see if there is a kids science museum so i can go explore things and jump around on them ? Daddy is there something active and fun i can do ..... ( find somewhere that the kids can run freely because then they will enjoy their time and also sleep better at night lol.)

I wouldnt take my son to disney land even if they paid me a million dollars. I guess my son is blessed to be from a mountain tribe that still have people living in the caves etc..so he can go there when ever and enjoy nature.. i much perfer he go feed the cows than be in a mall. Allahu alim.

Have fun what ever you do and enjoy the quality time u get with ur kids while they are with you.

As salam alaikum to your wife also.

Have fun what ever you do and enjoy the quality time u get with ur kids while they are with you.

Salaam

Today we went to this exhibition:

http://www.lesartsdecoratifs.fr/francais/arts-decoratifs/expositions-23/prochainement-502/dans-la-galerie-des-jouets-607/plastique-ludique-libuse-niklova/

Must say that it was enlightening for me as well! We deliberately just focused on the toy gallery, which also had an interactive element:

41322d7e.jpg

Nearby were the jardins du palais royale and the kids tourist guide had motioned that it has some columns children like playing around in:

4e89eba7.jpg

I agree with what you say above. The key difference I found with actvities such as these was that there was more interaction/discussion between parents and kids than there would have been had we been in Disney.

OK update on the above (8 years later!).

Maryam's school are going on a trip to Paris and they're going to Disneyland.

On 7/26/2011 at 7:37 AM, Haji 2003 said:

Also what worked was giving her my camera and getting her to take pics of what she liked.

She's taking the Canon 5d and the lenses. The rest of the family are fainting, but I'm on beta blockers, so I'm cool.

Edited by Haji 2003

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2011 at 6:28 AM, wonderer said:

awww Haji! ur kids seem so cute mashallah.. hmmmmmm.. I think u should still take em

"take 'em" to a shelter or something. If you want a vacation, leave the kids at home. My Dad did.

He left Ma there too.

On 7/24/2011 at 8:35 AM, Haji 2003 said:

From my pov it was not as great as it could have been, I'd been on the lookout for the exhibits from Bishapur in Iran (pics on my site) which had been ripped off the site by the French.

I visited Bishapur (near Shiraz, Iran) in 2008 and the guidebook said the mosaics were in the Louvre, in 2011 tried to find them in the Louvre but couldn't. 

Looks as if I may have time in an upcoming trip to Paris to visit the Louvre. This time I have planned ahead and found where the Bishapur mosaics are:

https://www.louvre.fr/en/oeuvre-notices/mosaic-woman-playing-harp

I don't believe it. The Louvre is only selling timed entry tickets from 1pm onwards tomorrow. Hmm. I'd miss my London train. Don't fancy chancing it. Oh well. First world problems.

2077505331_Screenshot2019-09-27at18_01_28.png.747ed1df0648a7ca55e6d60a032ea4c2.png