Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

New Essay Contest Due October 2011 (praying)

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

salam.gif

The Ahlulbayt Society would like to announce a new essay contest. Details are below. You may contact me if you have any questions, and thanks to all who have participated in the past. In order to encourage younger entrants, pre-college/pre-university (grade school) students will be judged against one another, and then the winners in that group will also be eligible to compete against the college/university level students.

Remember, the contest is open to all students, which includes middle school, high school, college, university, graduate school, business school, medical school, law school, etc.

In the Name of Allah, the Most Compassionate, the Most Merciful

The Ninth Ahlul Bayt Essay Contest Essay Contest Topic

In 1500 to 2500 words, discuss the following topic:

Analyze the reasons why we pray and explain how prayers can guide us on the straight path and resolve some of today's major issues.

In writing your essay, use the following as your guideline:

Describe and analyze the subject of the essay in application to resolving the particular issues you have chosen and discuss the immediate consequences.

Keep in mind that some of the current interests include: human rights, freedom, poverty, security, discipline, democracy, love and respect for one another.

The following format must be used for the paper:

1- Introduction 2- Discussion & Results 3- Conclusions 4- References

Please submit a copy of your essay via e-mail to SaturdaySchool@cox.net in MS-Word format.

Please include your name and address; your e-mail address; the name and address of your high school, college or university; your current grade level.

Papers are considered with the understanding that they have not been previously published in print or electronic format. By submitting your paper you are transferring your copyright to Sepaus Foundation.

The deadline for the Ahlul Bayt Essay Contest is October 30, 2011.

A panel of judges will evaluate the essays and the winners will be announced in February. The decision of the judges is final.

Essay Winners Will Receive:

Category 1- College Students

1st place winner: $3,600

2nd place winner: $1,500

3rd place winner: $900

Category 2- School-Age Students

1st place winner: $1,800

2nd place winner: $750

3rd place winner: $450

The winning essays from the School-Age category will compete again in the College category, in order to be judged against that age group also.

Best wishes, and insha'Allah I'll be reading your essays in the next few months.

• Advanced Member

GL to all those who apply.

Hopefully this time around the winners will be annouced quicker :squeez:

I hope so too! The judges were not given the essays until well after the time in which they were due (perhaps there may have been an extension to the contest that I was not aware of), and then I believe they wanted to wait until mid-Shabaan to announce the winners.

• Advanced Member

Salaam,

I am wondering if the essay is open to students outside the US?

Yes, non US-students are eligible to compete. In the past, I believe we have had entrants from Australia, Iran, Pakistan, the United Kingdom, and the United States, just off the top of my head.

• Advanced Member

The US doller sucks do we get paid is AUD? LOL

I'm sure you're just making a joke, but I believe you'll get paid in USD and then you can exchange the money to local currency (AUD if you live in Australia) at whatever the current exchange rate will be at the time the prize is awarded. Moreover, given that (and perhaps I'm wrong) education is generally much more affordable in many countries (including Australia) than it is in the US, I think it'd be best not to complain too much about this. : )

• Advanced Member

salaams. Is this strictly for students only? Supposing a working person wishes to participate? No longer studying but has a 3 year old child- is the candidate allowed to compete? Age under 28 years.

• Advanced Member

salaams. Is this strictly for students only? Supposing a working person wishes to participate? No longer studying but has a 3 year old child- is the candidate allowed to compete? Age under 28 years.

wasalam.gif

Since the purpose of the prize is to help out students with the cost of their studies, I believe such a person would not be eligible. However, he or she could still enter and maybe receive feedback on his or her essay. You could try e-mailing SaturdaySchool@cox.net and explain the particulars in greater detail and see what response you get (however I am not sure if you would get a reply, as I do not know if that e-mail address will be checked before the essays are due). In any case, it's always great to see people in the community willing to participate by researching and writing essays about Islam and the ahlulbayt (peace be upon them).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

is it over?

(salam)

The Ahlulbayt Society would like to announce a new essay contest. Details are below. You may contact me if you have any questions, and thanks to all who have participated in the past. In order to encourage younger entrants, pre-college/pre-university (grade school) students will be judged against one another, and then the winners in that group will also be eligible to compete against the college/university level students.

Remember, the contest is open to all students, which includes middle school, high school, college, university, graduate school, business school, medical school, law school, etc.

Best wishes, and insha'Allah I'll be reading your essays in the next few months.

Edited by aliabidkazim
  • 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

It's been more than a year's delay since the winners were supposed to be announced, but they have finally been announced. Apparently they wanted to time the announcement with the publication of a book of past essay winners, yet the book took much longer to complete than expected.

Thank you all for participating.