Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Such As Have "faith"

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Assalam Alaykum

Ive always had this issue in my mind yet never hand the opportunity to discuss with anybody so Insha'Allah somebody here can help. But please Id really appreciate that if you have no worthy input into the topic or don't know much about it then refrain from posting it. I don't mean to confuse anybody, it might just be an instance of me confusing myself.

In many instances in the quran we see the words "O you who beleive". The question which has always stricken me in the head is how does one actually know if they "believe". Im assuming all of us here KNOW that for a fact Allah(swt) exists but what I occassionally get scared about is whether I really am a "believer". I believe in everything that has been revealed in the quran and DO NOT have an iota of doubt about it being the truth. But the matter still remains. I know that I do my best to fulfill all my religious obligations and whatever I can as extra(and often burn my self out), but how do I know if I really "believe" or is it just "knowing".

For example in Surah Asr:

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

Abdullah Yusuf Ali : Except such as have Faith, and do righteous deeds, and (join together) in the mutual teaching of Truth, and of Patience and Constancy

Shakir: Except those who believe and do good, and enjoin on each other truth, and enjoin on each other patience.

Doesn't this allude to the fact, that merely doing the wajib acts and refraining from sins is perhaps not sufficient, rather ones real focus should be on gaining Ma'rifat Allah(gnosis) through striving to go the extra distance, which will then allow one to really have that inner light????? This can be seen in the following verse:

“Is one who is dead and We gave him life and made for him light by which to walk among the people like one who is in darkness, never to emerge therefrom?” (Surah Al An’am 6:122)

Imam Ja'far Sadiq has said: "There are three categories of the worshippers: 'Those who worship Allah out of fear; their worship is that of the slaves. Those who worship Allah for the sake of a reward; their worship is that of the wage-earners. Those who worship Allah out of love and earnestness; their worship is that of the freeman. This last is the best form of worship." (Biharul Anwar, vol. v, p. 208)

In that mentioned hadith, do the first two groups really have the inner light of Allahسبحانه وتعالى????? and us such are all the groups really "beleivers" or not??????. Or in essence are they all believers but the ones who have achieved the inner gnosis are just more superior?

Is it fair for me to be using the words "gnosis" and "believe" synonymously or are they two different things?

Edited by slave.ofAllah