Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
shoelace

Can I Pet A Dog?

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

Dogs in the Quran??? Aren’t they dirty (Najis)?!!

I heard this from a Muslim friend. So I told him to read the Quran and find out what God says about dogs.

It is interesting to know that dogs are mentioned in the Quran many times, not just once, in verses 5:4, 7:176, 18:18 and 18:22 (3 times). NOWHERE does God call the dogs dirty animals or give any indication that they should be avoided or treated the way many Muslims think they should. Actually, the story of the people of the cave in Sura 18 gives the indication that we should appreciate them. When the number of the people of the cave, 3, 5 or 7 were mentioned in the Quran, God insisted every time on letting us know that their dog was

there with them. Their story can be as complete without the mention of the dog, but God did, why?

God is telling us these righteous people were in the cave with their dog. If it were not righteous to have dogs, God would not have told us that story in which the dog has to be remembered as being there. We have to know the quality of God, if we are to worship Him correctly. When God says something He means it, and when he does not, he means it as much. If God did not curse the dog and call it all kinds of name, it is because God wants us to know that He created that beautiful creature and He expects us to make all use and companionship with that animal that accompanied these righteous people of the cave.

Fabricated hadiths contradict the Quran. Many of these hadiths were narrated by Abu Hurayra. Abu Hurayra, whose name is translated as “father of the little cat,” apparently hated dogs and women. He narrated many hadiths that insulted women and cursed the dogs. He made them undesirable animals that need to be avoided and even killed.

These fabricated hadiths were unfortunately and falsely attributed to the prophet Muhammad who could not utter but the teachings of the Quran. Muhammad would only be a living example of the Quran itself. Therefore, God’s messenger who lived by the Quran could not have done anything but agree with the Quran, not contradict it. God gave us a great criterion to judge His truth from the man-made fabrications.

“...If it were from other than God, they would have found in it numerous contradictions.” (4:82)

Can we be that Judge? We have to.

Malika A.

[Quran 5:4] They consult you concerning what is lawful for them; say, “Lawful for you are all good things, including what trained dogs and falcons catch for you.” You train them according to GOD's teachings. You may eat what they catch for you, and mention GOD's name thereupon. You shall observe GOD. GOD is most efficient in reckoning.

http://www.masjidtucson.org/books/SP/2001/dec/page4.html

http://muttaqun.com/dogs.html

few hadith on dogs but not sure how authentic they are...

:D yes coz some body told me its unhygenic to keep a dog

Dogs are loyal creatures, that are there to hunt, guard and protect. But according to Fiqh they are impure. I don't see the problem? It doesn't mean they can't be used for the purpose that they were created for. Blood is najis too...

Petting a dog is not allowed, if one however does this by mistake or by accident (or however else) they need to wash their hands with water obviously and I believe also rub their hand (that they touched the dog with) with clean dirt seven times I believe (I know I've read this in Sunni Muslim hadith and I think Shi'a Muslim scholars state the same thing in addition to using water to purify oneself as usual).

Petting a dog is not allowed, if one however does this by mistake or by accident (or however else) they need to wash their hands with water obviously and I believe also rub their hand (that they touched the dog with) with clean dirt seven times I believe (I know I've read this in Sunni Muslim hadith and I think Shi'a Muslim scholars state the same thing in addition to using water to purify oneself as usual).

Can you pls provide some references showing that petting a dog is not allowed?

Yeah, I'd pet a dog. With my shoe! lol

No, but for real, would you pet a piglet? If so, then I do not see why petting a dog would be a problem for you. Just wash your hands or clean it with pure earth afterwards.

Edited by gogiison2

Salam, najasa from the dog does not rtansfer except through wetness, so if your hands are wet and you touch the dog, or if you touch their saliva or if you touch their urine, blood or feaces(although I assume you never would touch their urine, blood or feaces) or if you touch them and they are sweating then the part of yourself or your clothing or your other property that has touched their wetness needs to be washed. However, if they are dry and you touch them then it is not religiously necessary to wash that are afterwards because you have not transfered the najasa. Although for hygiene reasons it would be advisable, particularly if you have touched them with your bare hands and are going to then eat food etc. However, dogs have not been created to be kept in the home as pets, and although, as with all creatures, we must be kind to them, we should only keep them (as previous posters have said) for guarding or other work purposes etc. If the Islamic teachings on dogs were adhered to by the rest of humanity then we would hve all this rubbish with making dogs into a certain pedigree, so that their eyes and body parts are this or that size and they end up deformed and unable towalk properly etc eg datsons(I think the breed is called that) who have been bread for their bodies to grow longer and longer until their internal organs are streched and don't work properly. Also, some breeders are irresponsibly inter-breeding until they cause abonormalities and very bad health effects. This obsession with keeping dogs as pets has lead to this and all sorts of other bad things, where as they should either have left wild or tamed for a specific type of work (which actually gives the dog some enjoyment and satisfaction, subhanallah they have been created in such a way.) As for the sunni hadith you mention, Abu Huraira(father of the kittens) is well known, particulalry by the shi3a, to be unreliable as a narrator of hadith. We cannot trust anything he says, let alone on the matter of dogs. Dogs are just ritually impure, not an outcast or disgusting animal, and it does not benefit human beings to keep them as pets, so Allah(swt) advises us not to, just like we are not allowed to eat the meat of pig (it has certain ill effects that are only now being discovered by science.

Salams and du3as inshallah. ^_^

This whole najjasah thing is a plot by shaytan to divide the people from man's best friend on the animal kingdom.

Their noses r to be avoided and don't eat out of the same plate. I sleep with dogs in my bed and they are cleaner than most people .. Also more helpful, loyal, loving

Please anybody tell me if u know any other animal that guards us,

Dogs are under-rated

It's from a local Australian news paper where i live.

I thought you guys should give it a read.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/fresh-thinking-helps-blind-muslims-tackle-dog-taboo-20110406-1d4ie.html

I've noticed no one has actually given a quote from a hadith or the quran yet saying they are unclean. Maybe this is a myth just as the article says.

Dog is an amazing animal, and probably the most loyal animal to humans. Allah has given it amazing senses which benefits humans, and Allah has never (from what i have read) curse a dog. But at same time dog is a nijas animal, which doesnt mean that Allah has punished it or anything, but rather there is something in a dog that is not favorable to humans. So keeping a dog, petting, playing with it is not allowed, which again Does Not mean its a bad animal but rather it was not design to be used the way people are using dogs now.

I am not a dog person at all, infact, as soon as i see a dog (even the smallest one) coming my way i start panicking because i am afraid it will touch my clothes and make them nijas, but at the same time i am amazed at such an animal. Truly a marvelous creation.

[571] 1 Ü ãÍãÏ Èä ÇáÍÓä ÈÅÓäÇÏå¡ Úä ÇáÍÓíä Èä ÓÚíÏ¡ Úä ÍãÇÏ¡ Úä ÍÑíÒ¡ Úä ÇáÝÖá ÃÈí ÇáÚÈÇÓ¡ ÞÇá: ÞÇá ÃÈæ ÚÈÏÇááå ( Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã ): ÅÐÇ ÃÕÇÈ ËæÈß ãä ÇáßáÈ ÑØæÈÉ ÝÇÛÓáå¡ æÅä ãÓå ÌÇÝÇ ÝÇÕÈÈ Úáíå ÇáãÇÁ¡ ÇáÍÏíË.

1 – Muhammad b. al-Hasan (Shaykh Tusi) by his isnad from al-Husayn b. Sa`id from Hammad from Hariz from al-Fadl Abi ‘l-`Abbas. He said: Abu `Abdillah (as) said: When your clothing comes in contact with the dog with wetness, then wash it. And if it comes in contact with it dryly, then pour water upon it (al-hadith).

[573] 3 Ü æÚä ÇáÍÓíä Èä ÓÚíÏ¡ Úä ÍãÇÏ¡ Úä ÍÑíÒ¡ Úä ãÍãÏ Ü íÚäí ÇÈä ãÓáã Ü Úä ÃÈí ÚÈÏÇááå ( Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã ) ÞÇá: ÓÃáÊå Úä ÇáßáÈ íÔÑÈ ãä ÇáÅäÇÁ¡ ÞÇá: ÇÛÓá ÇáÅäÇÁ. ÇáÍÏíË.

3 – And from al-Husayn b. Sa`id from Hammad from Hariz from Muhammad – meaning Ibn Muslim – from Abu `Abdillah (as). He said: I asked him about the dog that drinks from the vessel. He said: Wash the vessel (al-hadith).

[574] 4 Ü æÚäå¡ Úä ÍãÇÏ¡ Úä ÍÑíÒ¡ Úä ÇáÝÖá ÃÈí ÇáÚÈÇÓ¡ ÞÇá: ÓÃáÊ ÃÈÇ ÚÈÏÇááå ( Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã ) Úä ÝÖá ÇáåÑÉ æÇáÔÇÉ æÇáÈÞÑÉ¡ æÇáÅÈá æÇáÍãÇÑ æÇáÎíá¡ æÇáÈÛÇá æÇáæÍÔ æÇáÓÈÇÚ¡ Ýáã ÃÊÑß ÔíÆÇ ÅáÇ ÓÃáÊå Úäå¿

ÝÞÇá: áÇ ÈÃÓ Èå¡ ÍÊì ÇäÊåíÊ Åáì ÇáßáÈ¿ ÝÞÇá: ÑÌÓ äÌÓ áÇ ÊÊæÖà ÈÝÖáå æÃÕÈÈ Ðáß ÇáãÇÁ¡ æÇÛÓáå ÈÇáÊÑÇÈ Ãæá ãÑÉ Ëã ÈÇáãÇÁ.

4 – And from him from Hammad from Hariz from al-Fadl Abi ‘l-`Abbas. He said: I asked Abu `Abdillah (as) about the leftover (al-fadl) of the cat, the sheep, the cow, the camel, the donkey, the horse, the mule, the wild animal, and the predatory animals. So I did not leave a thing but that I asked about it, then he would say: There is no harm with it. Until I ended up with the dog, so he said: Najis, rajis. Do not perform wudu with its leftover, and pour out that water. And wash it the first time with earth then with water.

[575] 5 Ü æÚäå¡ Úä ÍãÇÏ¡ Úä ÍÑíÒ¡ Úãä ÃÎÈÑå¡ Úä ÃÈí ÚÈÏÇááå ( Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã ) ÞÇá: ÅÐÇ æáÛ ÇáßáÈ Ýí ÇáÅäÇÁ ÝÕÈå.

5 – And from him from Hammad from Hariz from the one who informed him from Abu `Abdillah (as). He said: When the dog laps from a vessel, then pour it out.

[576] 6 Ü æÈÅÓäÇÏå Úä ÓÚÏ¡ Úä ÃÍãÏ Èä ãÍãÏ¡ Úä ÃíæÈ Èä äæÍ¡ Úä ÕÝæÇä Èä íÍíì¡ Úä ãÚÇæíÉ Èä ÔÑíÍ¡ ÞÇá: ÓÃá ÚÐÇÝÑ ÃÈÇ ÚÈÏÇááå ( Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã ) æÃäÇ ÚäÏå Úä ÓÄÑ ÇáÓäæÑ æÇáÔÇÉ æÇáÈÞÑÉ¡ æÇáÈÚíÑ æÇáÍãÇÑ¡ æÇáÝÑÓ æÇáÈÛá æÇáÓÈÇÚ¡ íÔÑÈ ãäå Ãæ íÊæÖà ãäå¿ ÝÞÇá: äÚã ÇÔÑÈ ãäå æÊæÖÃ. ÞÇá: ÞáÊ áå: ÇáßáÈ¿ ÞÇá: áÇ. ÞáÊ: ÃáíÓ åæ ÓÈÚ¿ ÞÇá: áÇ æÇááå Åäå äÌÓ¡ áÇ æÇááå Åäå äÌÓ.

æÚäå¡ Úä ÃÍãÏ¡ Úä ÇáÍÓä Èä Úáí Èä ÝÖÇá¡ Úä ÚÈÏÇááå Èä ÈßíÑ¡ Úä ãÚÇæíÉ Èä ãíÓÑÉ¡ Úä ÃÈí ÚÈÏÇááå ( Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã ) ãËáå.

6 – And by his isnad from Sa`d from Ahmad b. Muhammad from Ayyub b. Nuh from Safwan b. Yahya from Mu`wiya b. Shurayh. He said: `Udhafir asked Abu `Abdillah (as), and I was with him, about the leftover of the cat, the sheep, the cow, the camel, the donkey, the horse, the mule, and the predatory animals, does one drink from it or perform wudu from it? So he said: Yes, drink from it and perform wudu. He said: So I said to him: The dog? He said: No. I said: Is it not a predatory animal? He said: No, by Allah it is najis. No, by Allah it is najis.

[577] 7 Ü æÚäå¡ Úä ÃÈí ÌÚÝÑ ÃÍãÏ Èä ãÍãÏ¡ Úä ÚËãÇä Èä ÚíÓì¡ Úä ÓãÇÚÉ Èä ãåÑÇä¡ Úä ÃÈí ÈÕíÑ¡ Úä ÃÈí ÚÈÏÇááå ( Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã ) ÞÇá: áíÓ ÈÝÖá ÇáÓäæÑ ÈÃÓ Ãä íÊæÖà ãäå æíÔÑÈ¡ æáÇ íÔÑÈ ÓÄÑ ÇáßáÈ ÅáÇ Ãä íßæä ÍæÖÇ ßÈíÑÇ íÓÊÞì ãäå.

7 - And from him from Abu Ja`far Ahmad b. Muhammad from `Uthman b. `Isa from Sama`a b. Mihran from Abu Basir from Abu `Abdillah (as). He said: There is no harm with the leftover of the cat to perform wudu from it and to drink. And do not drink the leftover of the dog except that it be a large pool (or basin) from which water is drawn.

http://www.*******.org/hadiths/tahara/dogs-and-pigs