Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is It Good To Have A Long Beard In Islam

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Some Muslims say that it is great sawaab to have a long beard. Is it true? Is that why most ayotollahs have long beards for example. Did the prophet and our imams all have long beards? If it is, why? Is it only because the prophet and imams had long beards.

Edited by Shia...
  • Advanced Member

Some Muslims say that it is great sawaab to have a beard. Is it true? Is that why most ayotollahs have beards for example. Did the prophet and our imams all have beards? If it is, why? Is it only because the prophet and imams had beards.

(salam)

Most scholars say it is wajib to keep a beard.

This very short book is good to help explain:

The Islamic Perspective Of The Beard

• Advanced Member

^thanks for the link

Is it best if you have a long beard?

I've never shaved my beard as I knew it was haram.

But if someone has a bigger beard will they get more sawaab?

Is it also best to never shave your moustache?

Is it okay to trim it?

Or must your beard never be cut in any form.

^thanks for the link

Is it okay to trim it?

You can trim, you just need to have hair there. I don't think God gives us more thawab based on how long a beard is. sounds silly lol.

• Advanced Member

^thanks for the link

Is it okay to trim it?

You are not judged on the size of your beard. Having a beard that is too long can be unhygienic. You can trim your moustache as well.

Here are some fatwas from Ayatollah Sistani:

Question: Is it permissible to have a long beard?

Answer: It is better that the length of beard does not exceed the width of a fist.

Question: Is it permissible to shave the two sides of the face and leave the hair on the chin?

Answer: Shaving the beard is haram based on obligatory precaution, and this includes the hair that grows on the sides of the face. However, there is no problem in shaving the hair that grows on the cheeks.

Edited by Replicant
  • Advanced Member

Some Muslims say that it is great sawaab to have a long beard. Is it true? Is that why most ayotollahs have long beards for example. Did the prophet and our imams all have long beards? If it is, why? Is it only because the prophet and imams had long beards.

Salam Alaikum,

Yeah it is good and you will great reward for it. The Prophet (saw) had a long beard and also the Companions (ra). Ali (ra) had a long beautiful beard and also the other Imams (rah).

Salam Alaikum,

Yeah it is good and you will great reward for it. The Prophet (saw) had a long beard and also the Companions (ra). Ali (ra) had a long beautiful beard and also the other Imams (rah).

• Advanced Member

... evidence? i guess one of these sectarian things... they do it this way, let us do it that way.

No, it is unhygienic and looks dirty.

I think we aren't allowed to imitate the Wahhabis as well, so you may be right in that account.

By the way - I've been told that the Wahhabi criteria for a beard is that is must be visible to someone who is walking BEHIND you, which shows why they have bushy and messy beards which are repulsive.

Compare the smart beards that are well maintained and groomed of the Shia scholars with the Wahhabi ones.

Edited by Replicant
  • Advanced Member

No, it is unhygienic and looks dirty.

I think we aren't allowed to imitate the Wahhabis as well, so you may be right in that account.

By the way - I've been told that the Wahhabi criteria for a beard is that is must be visible to someone who is walking BEHIND you, which shows why they have bushy and messy beards which are repulsive.

Compare the smart beards that are well maintained and groomed of the Shia scholars with the Wahhabi ones.

Well... Sistani has got a beard like "wahhabis" do.

Your personal opinion about it (being unhygienic and looking dirty) does not matter.

Who speaks about imitating Wahhabis? To my knowledge it is a Sunnah to grow a beard and we should be imitating Prophet Muhammad (sawas).

So if they follow a Sunnah, then you reject the Sunnah on account of the thought that people might think that you imitate the Wahhabis. !??

Come on... Just grow your beard.

• Advanced Member

Well... Sistani has got a beard like "wahhabis" do.

Your personal opinion about it (being unhygienic and looking dirty) does not matter.

Who speaks about imitating Wahhabis? To my knowledge it is a Sunnah to grow a beard and we should be imitating Prophet Muhammad (sawas).

So if they follow a Sunnah, then you reject the Sunnah on account of the thought that people might think that you imitate the Wahhabis. !??

Come on... Just grow your beard.

I have met Ayatollah Sistani and his beard is nicely groomed and maintained. It's long, but it's doesn't attract flies like some Wahhabi beards that are all over the place and I've even seen beards go up to the navel. The Prophet (pbuh) and Imams (as) did have long beards, but they were well groomed and trimmed.

Look at the beard of the people in charge in Saudi and see the difference between the Shia fuqaha and them.

• Advanced Member

I have met Ayatollah Sistani and his beard is nicely groomed and maintained. It's long, but it's doesn't attract flies like some Wahhabi beards that are all over the place and I've even seen beards go up to the navel. The Prophet (pbuh) and Imams (as) did have long beards, but they were well groomed and trimmed.

Look at the beard of the people in charge in Saudi and see the difference between the Shia fuqaha and them.

You are right, his beard always made me feel sick ---> king_abdullah.jpg

Let us be serious, their beards are alright and there is mostly not much difference between their beards and the one of Sistani, its just sectarian nonsense!

Sheikh%20Abdul%20Aziz%20Al%20Shaikh.jpg

Saudi_Cleric_Muhammad_Al-Arifi.jpg

saudi-clerics-battle-over-adult-breastfeeding-music-fatwas-2010-06-30_l.jpg

Awad%20al-Qarni2.jpg

memrihandcutoff.jpg

al-ghamdi_cdcR8_16105.jpg

n00049994-b.jpg

I don't know these guys but they came up when I google searched "Saudi Cleric".

• Advanced Member

In a very old thread, Sayed Mahdi Modaressi came on the forum and said this about the beard:

(bismillah)

In the name of Allah the Beneficent the Merciful

All praise is due to Allah Lord of the worlds

May Allah bestow his blessings upon Muhammad and his Progeny and curse their enemies from this day to the Day of Judgment.

Assalam alaikom,

Like all other Islamic acts, the prohibition of Shaving a man’s beard is a multi faceted ruling which has the infinite wisdom of the Omniscient behind it. One logic may be to maintain clear distinction between the two genders because it forbidden for any of the two sexes to imitate the other in their appearance. A more direct reason may be a reversal of the norms and practices of the pagans who used to shave their beards while keeping a mustache. This is evident in the words of the Holy Prophet (SAWW) who has said:

ÍõÝøõæÇ ÇáÔøóæóÇÑöÈó æó ÃóÚúÝõæÇ ÇááøöÍóì æó áóÇ ÊóÔóÈøóåõæÇ ÈÇáãÌæÓ - ãäþáÇíÍÖÑåþÇáÝÞ íå1/130

Depilate the mustache and grow beards and do not imitate the Zoroastrians (the word Jews is also mentioned in some verses).

There are also certain medical reasons cited for growing one’s beard, but the main underlying reason may simply be a test of obedience because social pressure (even at that time as can be discerned from the above tradition) will inevitably compel men to shave their beards, or risk being look down at as “dirty” people with a poor level of hygiene. This, of course, is nothing but a classical flawed stereotype. A well maintained, properly trimmed beard is usually associated with wisdom, maturity, and, of course, masculinity.

As for personal hygene, Imam Al Sadeq is reported to have said:

.. ÇáúÍóäöíÝöíøóÉó æó åöíó ÚóÔóÑóÉõ ÃóÔúíóÇÁó ÎóãúÓóÉñ ãöäúåóÇ Ýöí ÇáÑøóÃúÓö æó ÎóãúÓóÉñ ãöäúåóÇ Ýöí ÇáúÈóÏóäö ÝóÃóãøóÇ ÇáøóÊöí Ýöí ÇáÑøóÃúÓö ÝóÃóÎúÐõ ÇáÔøóÇÑöÈö æó ÅöÚúÝóÇÁõ ÇááøöÍóì æó Øóãøõ ÇáÔøóÚúÑö æó ÇáÓøöæóÇßõ æó ÇáúÎöáóÇáõ æó ÃóãøóÇ ÇáøóÊöí Ýöí ÇáúÈóÏóäö ÝóÍóáúÞõ ÇáÔøóÚúÑö ãöäó ÇáúÈóÏóäö æó ÇáúÎöÊóÇäõ æó ÊóÞúáöíãõ ÇáúÃóÙúÝóÇÑö æó ÇáúÛõÓúáõ ãöäó ÇáúÌóäóÇÈóÉö æó ÇáØøóåõæÑõ ÈöÇáúãóÇÁö ÝóåóÐöåö ÇáúÍóäöíÝöíøóÉõ ÇáÙøóÇåöÑóÉõ ÇáøóÊöí ÌóÇÁó ÈöåóÇ ÅöÈúÑóÇåöíãõ Ú Ýóáóãú ÊõäúÓóÎú æó áóÇ ÊõäúÓóÎõ Åöáóì íóæúãö ÇáúÞöíóÇãóÉö. - æÓÇÆáþÇáÔíÚÉ 2/117

Allah revealed the Hanifiah (i.e. True Religion) to Abraham which included 10 [hygienic] practices; 5 of them in the head, and five in the [rest of the] body. Those which are [associated with] the head are: Trimming (or shaving) the mustache, growing the beard, inundation of the hair, brushing the teeth, and using a toothpick. As for those practices which deal with the body, they are: shaving bodily hair, circumcision, clipping the nails, bathing after sexual intercourse (or any form of penetration or ejaculation), and ablution with water. For, indeed, these are parts of the manifest true religion which was revealed by Abraham and were not abrogated and will never be nullified until the day of resurrection.

Obviously there are those who misunderstand or simply ignore these teachings and produce a horrific facial physique which usually tends to repel people and attract flies! This is not what Islam wants us to look like. A long beard which extends beyond a grip beneath the chin is considered, by Islamic traditions, as being a sign of a man’s idiocy and feeble-mindedness.

These Islamic teachings are in line with human nature as well as human logic, and this is precisely why certain false traditions in non-Shia books are seen as outrageously erroneous. Al Tabari is quoted in the book “Fathul-Bari” which is a commentary on Sahih Bukhari (10/310) as saying: “A woman must not shave her beard or mustache (refrence to the hair that appears on the upper lip and chin areas) and cannot pluck an extra tooth or fix her eyebrows, be it for marriage or otherwise”.

ÞÇá ÇáØÈÑí: áÇ íÌæÒ ááãÑÃÉ ÊÛííÑ ÔíÆ ãä ÎáÞÊåÇ ÇáÊí ÎáÞåÇ Çááå ÚáíåÇ ÈÒíÇÏÉ Ãæ äÞÕ ÇáÊãÇÓ ÇáÍÓä áÇ ááÒæÌ æáÇ áÛíÑå¡ ßãä Êßæä ãÞÑæäÉ ÇáÍÇÌÈíä ÝÊÒíá ãÇ ÈíäåãÇ Êæåã ÇáÈáÌ Ãæ ÚßÓå¡ æãä Êßæä áåÇ Óä ÒÇÆÏÉ ÝÊÞáÚåÇ¡ Ãæ ØæíáÉ ÝÊÞØÚ ãäåÇ¡ Ãæ áÍíÉ Ãæ ÔÇÑÈ Ãæ ÚäÝÞÉ ÝÊÒíáåÇ ÈÇáäÊÝ¡ æãä íßæä ÔÚÑåÇ ÞÕíÑÇ Ãæ ÍÞíÑÇ ÝÊØæáå Ãæ ÊÛÒÑå ÈÔÚÑ ÛíÑåÇ¡ Ýßá Ðáß ÏÇÎá Ýí Çáäåí¡ æåæ ãä ÊÛííÑ ÎáÞ Çááå ÊÚÇáì - ÝÊÍ ÇáÈÇÑí 10: 310

There are traditions that say that holy Imams would trim their beards especially for marriage saying that “my bride beautifies herself for me, and I want to beautify myself for her”. The Prophet (SAWW) had a mirror in which he would look every day to ensure a beautiful appearance to people, and there are many traditions that reiterate the significance of taking good care our appearances.

Obviously there are those who misunderstand or simply ignore these teachings and produce a horrific facial physique which usually tends to repel people and attract flies! This is not what Islam wants us to look like. A long beard which extends beyond a grip beneath the chin is considered, by Islamic traditions, as being a sign of a man’s idiocy and feeble-mindedness.

So this applies to Sistani as well?

• Advanced Member

No - we don't know how big his fist is and his beard isn't THAT long anyway, it's nicely groomed.

I've met him in person and it's not as big as it looks like in his pictures on the internet.

Spot on!

Can i send you PM about Seyyed Sistani (hafidaouAllah)?

Your brother.

Edited by Jihad-Fadak
  • 2 weeks later...

As far as the length of the beard, it is sunnah of Rasulallah to have a beard as long as your fist, and it is makruh to have it longer than your fist.

As far as keeping a beard at all... Almost all the maraja' have declared it wajib for men to keep beard. The only Marja' which I know who said it is ok to shave is Ayatollah Fadlullah (may Allah bless his soul). other than him, all of the marja' that I KNOW have said it is Wajib to keep it.

How long should it be? According to Syyied Imam Khamenei, you should have a beard long enough for people to recognize that you actually have a beard. So it is up to you to decide how long you want your beard to be. I am not sure what the other Marja's ruling on the length of the beard is. you can check it in their risalah.

if you want to follow the sunnah of rasullah go premium and keep a beard long as your fist! :)

Edited by Mansour Hosseini