Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Do Shias Pray The Sunnah?

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Islamic Laws Grand Ayatollah Sanei

Daily Recommended Prayers

There are thirty four Rak'ats of daily recommended prayers to be offered everyday except Friday; among these prayers are the midnight prayers (eleven Rak'ats), dawn recommended prayer (two Rak'ats), and evening recommended prayer (two Rak'ats), all of which bring lots of heavenly rewards.

Issue 739: There are many recommended prayers which are referred to as "Nafilah" and among which daily recommended prayers have been stressed more; the daily recommended prayers to be offered every day except Friday are thirty four Rak'ats as follows:

- Midday recommended prayers (eight Rak'ats)

- Afternoon recommended prayers (eight Rak'ats)

- Sunset recommended prayers (four Rak'ats)

- Evening recommended prayer (two Rak'ats)

- Midnight recommended prayers (eleven Rak'ats)

-Dawn recommended prayer (two Rak'ats)

-As an obligatory precaution, the evening recommended prayer must be offered in sitting position. So the two Rak'ats are accounted as one. On Friday, four Rak'ats are added to the recommended prayers of midday and afternoon.

Issue 740: All recommended prayers may be offered in sitting position; however, it is better if two Rak'ats of such prayers in sitting position are accounted as one in the standing position; for example, if a person wants to offer midday recommended prayers which are eight Rak'ats, it is better to offer sixteen Rak'ats if they offer then in sitting position and if they want to offer "witr" recommended prayer in sitting position, they should offer two one-Rak'at prayers.

Q741: Is it allowable to offer all recommended prayers-even the midnight Nafilah- while being in motion? If so, how should one perform the bows and prostrations?

A: All recommended prayers are permissible to be offered in motion, and to perform the bows and prostrations, one can move their head down and up.

Q742: If a person wants to recite a chapter after the Al-Hamd of a recommended prayer, must they recite the whole chapter or is it permissible just to recite a part of it?

A: Reciting a part of a chapter would suffice for the recommended prayers, unless for a specific prayer, one is required to act in a different way; for instance, in the recommended prayer for the opening of a month, one should recite the “Ikhlaas” chapter thirty times in the first Rak'at and the “Quadr” chapter thirty times in the second.

Q743: On Friday, the midday and afternoon recommended prayers are twenty Rak'ats, that is, four extra Rak'ats should be offered; how should these four Rak'ats be offered? Should they be added to the midday recommended prayers or to those of the afternoon? Is it permissible to divide them between the midday and afternoon Nafilas?

A: Two Rak'ats of them should be added to the midday Nafilas and the other two should be added to the afternoon Nafilas. There is another possible order which is explained in comprehensive books on jurisprudence.

Q744: Should a person pronounce all the prescribed supplications in the Qunut (personal supplication) of Witr Nafilah, or does it suffice if it is pronounced to any possible extent? Is the Qunut necessary to be offered at all?

A: Offering the Qunut in Witr Nafila as it is prescribed, causes to grow closer to Allah and brings more blessings. It is not befitting that one who offers midnight recommended prayers, abandons the Qunut, since the Qunut is strongly recommended; however, offering the Qunut is not a condition for the validity of midnight Nafilas.

Midnight Recommended Prayers

Issue 745: Midnight recommended prayers consist of eleven Rak’ats which should be offered as follows:

Four two-Rak’at prayers with the intention of midnight prayer

Two Rak’ats with the intention of Shaf’ prayer

One Rak’at with the intention of Witr (or Watr) prayer

Edited by Maloofud Din
  • Advanced Member

I'm Sunni considering Shiaism. One thing I can't give up is praying the sunnah after the farid. Do shias pray the sunnah before and after the obligatory prayer?

thanx

Bismillahhirrahmanirraheem:

Salamun 'alaykum w/r w/b:

I just want to comment that it is interesting that you have mentioned this.

Maybe its just me but I observe so many shias who just pray the wajib prayers (17) rakaats. This is unfortunate as the sign of the momin is that he/she prays 51 rakaats everyday!

In this area, my observation is that our Sunni brothers beat us very badly as they pray, pray, pray all the time. It is impressive and sad for us.

Of course we pray the right way...so ya.

It is definately an area for improvement.

Just my observation. To answer ur question, as stated above, there is definately nafilah prayers for shia's as well.

Wassalam w/r w/b:

• Advanced Member

Bismillahhirrahmanirraheem:

Salamun 'alaykum w/r w/b:

I just want to comment that it is interesting that you have mentioned this.

Maybe its just me but I observe so many shias who just pray the wajib prayers (17) rakaats. This is unfortunate as the sign of the momin is that he/she prays 51 rakaats everyday!

In this area, my observation is that our Sunni brothers beat us very badly as they pray, pray, pray all the time. It is impressive and sad for us.

Of course we pray the right way...so ya.

It is definately an area for improvement.

Just my observation. To answer ur question, as stated above, there is definately nafilah prayers for shia's as well.

Wassalam w/r w/b:

Thanks!

• Advanced Member

La fata, Islam is not about praying. God does not need any of your prayers. Prayers are there to indoctrinate yourself/remind yourself of your faith. Where the sunnis have failed horribly, with the wahhabis being at the forefront of that ignorance, is that they have created a religion blinded by literalism/rules, rather than meaning and piety. If you don't understand this, then take note of this: something as 'simple' as not lying is a thousand fold more difficult than adding some extra prayers to your daily routine. Nevermind the other 'simple' sins we commit on a daily basis while getting on with our obligatory prayers. This is not to say that recommended prayers should not be performed, but rather not to become blindsighted about your prayers and forget about the more important things.

La fata, Islam is not about praying. God does not need any of your prayers. Prayers are there to indoctrinate yourself/remind yourself of your faith. Where the sunnis have failed horribly, with the wahhabis being at the forefront of that ignorance, is that they have created a religion blinded by literalism/rules, rather than meaning and piety. If you don't understand this, then take note of this: something as 'simple' as not lying is a thousand fold more difficult than adding some extra prayers to your daily routine. Nevermind the other 'simple' sins we commit on a daily basis while getting on with our obligatory prayers. This is not to say that recommended prayers should not be performed, but rather not to become blindsighted about your prayers and forget about the more important things.

What are the more important things? I know AhlulBayt (as) are more important than prayer. But what else?

• Advanced Member

(salam)

What are the more important things? I know AhlulBayt (as) are more important than prayer. But what else?

The brother Simorgh was talking about recommended prayers, or recomended things and "rules" in general, not the obligatory prayers.

With that said, ANYTHING that is obligatory(wajib) is more important than ANYTHING that is "recommended" (mustahabb).

Furthermore, Imam Ali (as) has said:

"La naf3a fil nawafil itha darrat bil fara2id" - "There is no benefit/use in the Nawafil (things that are mustahabb) if they negetively affect the Fara2id (Things that are wajib)".

so, for example, locking yourself inside your room praying nawafils(mustahabb/sunnah prayers) while your mother is asking for your help to carry the heavy bags from the car to the house, is useless. The wajib thing is to help your mother out, not to pray the mustahabb prayers.

Silly example, I know, lol. But Simorgh's point is that a lot of people focus on rites and ritiuals while forgetting the very essence of what it means to be a Muslim. (be Godfearing, respect your elders, obey your parents, don't lie, don't steal, share your riches, give money to the poor, look out for your neighbours, stand up against injustice, seek knowledge, share knowledge, help the needy, don't be selfish, etc..)

Also, the reason it is important to seperate the Mustahabb/Sunnah prayers from the obligatory prayers and make sure people understand that they are ONLY RECOMMENDED, NOT OBLIGAOTRY, is due to the effect they can have on new or not so actively practicing muslims.. If you want to get a brother/sister to start praying, you don't tell him he/she HAS to pray the 4 rukaats of Duhr, AND the Sunnah, which totally amounts to 8 or 12 rukaats in total just for Duhr alone. There's a chance you might scare them away, thus Imam Ali's(as) saying. You just get them to pray the obligatory prayer and that's that. You don't want to scare people away from God with all the mustahabb/sunnah stuff.. babysteps.. Unfortunately, a lot of sunni brothers and sisters almost regard the suannah prayers as wajib, which is not a positive thing at all.

Another point is that Praying and Fasting while stealing, lying and backbiting is pretty useless.. ;)

When you pray, it is to indoctrinate yourself to submit to God, to seek closeness to your Creator(swt). To strengthen the relationship between created(you) and creator( God(swt) ) [so that you can inherently obey his commands faithfully, i.e don't lie, don't steal, don't backbite, etc..]. It's supposed to be a lot deeper than just moving up and down on a praying carpet. If you miss this very important point, then that's your ass, pardon the french :P

The same thing applies to our love, affection and allegience to the Prophet (pbuh) and The Ahlulbayt (as). Following the Ahlulbayt (as) means that you are following the most competent people to ever exist in regards to knowledge about the Prohpet Muhammad(pbuh) and the religion he was sent with. You do this out of logic.. But to claim that you are a follower of the Ahlulbayt (as) and the Propher (pbuh) while doing all sorts of crazy and haram things, is as useless as fasting and lying at the same time (or to think that it's okay to lie as much as you want, whenever your want, except for Ramadan). We follow the Ahlulbayt (as) in order to to learn about our Prophet (pbuh) and inherently Islam from the most reliable source. We don't follow them just for the sake of following them.. As well as we shouldn't pray just for the sake of uselessly moving up and down on a prayer carpet.

W.salam

Edited by MAK
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

AlhamdilAllah, may Allah (SWT) aid you and give you success in following Siratul Mustaqeem

Your question has been answered, but I thought I should further clarify; yes, Shi'a do pray the Nawafil, which are the Sunnah prayers. Actually, Shi'a pray more Nawafil than other madhabs. Simply put, as described in earlier posts, Shi'as pray the following nawafil for salah:

2 rakaat for Fajr

8 rakaat for Dhur

8 for Asr

4 for Mahrib

2 while sitting down for Isha

And then there is Tahajjud (Salatul Layl)

I believe the Ahlus Sunnah, or at least the Hanafis pray (according to a Sunni site):

2 rakaat for Fajr

6 rakaat for Dhur

4 for Asr

2 for Maghrib

6 for Isha

Sunnis also pray Salatul Layl, I'm not sure about how much rakaat though