Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Sex With Slaves Is Allowed.

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

I had a hard time to wrap my mind around this but I found out that sexual relations with a slave is permissible in Islam.

Here is a verse from the Quran:

"Who abstain from sex, Except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or whome their right hands posses(slaves) - for they are free from blame"

[Chapter 23 Verse 5-6]

It did seem weird to me, I thought that sex should only be with a married spouse. But I learned that Sexual relations with a slave are only allowed if the slave agrees. Otherwise it would be rape and thus haraam.

Slaves in Islam can't be compared to the "type of slave" we know from our time. A slave in Islam must be treated as a human. Must be cared for and not hurt. Must be fed and not starved, but be given shelter, must be given clothing, must be allowed to learn about Islam and practice Islam, and must be allowed to be able to learn to read and write (Allah loves those who can read and write). A slave in Islam can not be beaten or whipped, neither killed.

I was told that slavery, was discouraged though. I learned that Sayeda Fatima (as) also had slave(s) but those slaves loved her and respected her because she (as) treated them with care. That She (as) had slaves in order to be an example to the people on how to treat slaves.

A slave is allowed to be freed if he or she becomes a Muslim before the master. A slave is allowed to be married to someone else (not the slave owner) and if married, must be freed and given same rights as a freed married woman such as dowry.

My own opinion as to why slavery is allowed is in this example:

Lets say a Muslim man goes to war against an opposing force. The opposing force loses and many of their warriors are killed. The village in which the opposing men came from, now has a bunch of widows who lost their husbands in a battle. The muslim man wants to help these widows but isn't able to because he has already 4 wives (maximum # of wives I believe). Instead, he can take the widow as a slave (prisoners of war) to be able to support her sense he is unable to marry her. So he provides her with shelter, food, safety. But she, like all humans, has sexual desires. As her right as a human, she can have sexual intercourse with the Muslim man to fulfill her desires.

What you guys think=]

Edited by MohammedA

• Advanced Member

Remember that slavery was instituted before Islam,

Islam worked for the rights of slaves and treating them like family.

My thoughts on the sex thing? I'd say since the institution of slavery is *mostly* non existant in most parts of the world, it's not really something I worry about. Can't say having a slave is part of my future plans!

Remember that slavery was instituted before Islam,

Islam worked for the rights of slaves and treating them like family.

My thoughts on the sex thing? I'd say since the institution of slavery is *mostly* non existant in most parts of the world, it's not really something I worry about. Can't say having a slave is part of my future plans!

Slavery is very much so active in our current world - though not necessarily in our own areas.

The thing is, I had a problem believing that a person can have sexual relations out of wedlock. I did my research and asked people (akf for example) and they helped me find this answer. True it might not affect our lives directly, but its nice to know. Who knows, maybe one day slavery will be dominant again. Allah Knows Best.

• Advanced Member

Slavery is very much so active in our current world - though not necessarily in our own areas.

The thing is, I had a problem believing that a person can have sexual relations out of wedlock. I did my research and asked people (akf for example) and they helped me find this answer. True it might not affect our lives directly, but its nice to know. Who knows, maybe one day slavery will be dominant again. Allah Knows Best.

I know it exists, was just saying it's not something I've looked into so much.

Perhaps, anything is possible!

According to sahih wikipedia (lol i jk) the allowance of this was to calm the urges of female slaves and increase morality of the community in general. There are many strict conditions surrounding taking part in this, and the woman has rights in it.

Unfortunately due to malpractice people would "lend" out their slave girls and mistreat them - all against Islamic law.

Edited by Ali_Ibn_Hussein

• Veteran Member

Slavery per Islamic rules is a very different kind of slavery than what was practiced by European colonialists. Not to say it was never abused, but slavery is permissible under certain guidelines and negligence to the care of a slave or a lack of compassion to a slave is forbidden.

As far as sex with slaves, it is permissible with slave girls (or male slaves in the case of women?) with the permission of your spouse if you have one. I would say though that just because the Quran says you can have sex with a slave girl, doesn't mean that any kind of relationship goes. For example, it is not permissible to force yourself unto a slave against their will or force them into prostitution. The Quran also states to leave slaves who wish to keep their chastity alone. However, if a man falls in love with a slave or wishes to have children by her, he is given that right. I think a woman may have a similar right, but I'm not so sure about the regulations there.

Edited by Saintly_Jinn23

• Advanced Member

Slavery and worst form of Slavery still exists in Saudi Arabia, Kuwaith etc countries, I have never heard of Iran, but I dont know. Where the workers in the homes are being worsely treated specially from Indonsia. These girls come there for betterment in their lives, they are usually physically and mentally tortured. Many times Shaikhs have sex with them and their wives also torture them. In these countries really they hate Arabs, for all their doings except that they are Muslims. Many times 70yrs or 80yrs old Shaikh marries 14 yrs old girl and keeps her as a slave and because she is a slave so every one in the family uses her for the physical needs, irrespective of father and son. And they will not be given proper shelter and clothing even. And even for some professional guys in Saudi it is very hard time. Shaikhs can do anything. I think this kind of hard line policies should go from Muslims and Muslim countries irrespective of Shia and Sunni, its not there in Islam. Can you imagine what the other religions and communities think about Muslims like they are fighting each other and they have extreme racial feelings.

Even if you stay in Saudi, Dubai, Kuwaith etc for 30 yrs you cant claim for their citizenship, no matter muslim, nonmuslim, shia or sunni, see what kind of nonsense and jerks they are. Thats why I am saying that we Muslims are very very safe in nonmuslim countries than in muslim countries.

I am in USA now, Alhamdulillah I am not facing that kind of problems here. Here every one is treated equally. I accept that USA foreign policy is bad, but still for Human rights MashAllah its the best. Muslim countries should implement that first before fighting with USA or any other country. I would give one example, if Muslim countries over look the polulation of South Asian and Indonesia they are the highest populated Muslim countries in the world. Half of the worlds Muslim population is there in these 4 or 5 countries.

And the way they treat Indians or Pakistanis etc nationals of south asian countries is worse. Is it there in Islam. I heard that one person from Pakistan married a saudi girl, he was put in to prison and tortured heavily for the same reason, even though both were muslims and even Sunnis (I am saying Sunnis here to give example of their racial descrimination, not to say Shia Sunni different, I feel they should marry each other so that relations become more stronger, sorry if it hurts any ones feelings). In the other way where many Saudi girls in USA or other countries marry Christian men, I have seen it, which is not acceptable in Islam, neither in Shia nor in Sunni. Its clearly there in Hadith that, when you are giving your daughters, a believer slave man is better than rich nonbeliever.

Slavery per Islamic rules is a very different kind of slavery than what was practiced by European colonialists. Not to say it was never abused, but slavery is permissible under certain guidelines and negligence to the care of a slave or a lack of compassion to a slave is forbidden.

As far as sex with slaves, it is permissible with slave girls (or male slaves in the case of women?) with the permission of your spouse if you have one. I would say though that just because the Quran says you can have sex with a slave girl, doesn't mean that any kind of relationship goes. For example, it is not permissible to force yourself unto a slave against their will or force them into prostitution. The Quran also states to leave slaves who wish to keep their chastity alone. However, if a man falls in love with a slave or wishes to have children by her, he is given that right. I think a woman may have a similar right, but I'm not so sure about the regulations there.

Edited by abdulaleem075

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

I had a hard time to wrap my mind around this but I found out that sexual relations with a slave is permissible in Islam.

Here is a verse from the Quran:

"Who abstain from sex, Except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or whome their right hands posses(slaves) - for they are free from blame"

[Chapter 23 Verse 5-6]

It did seem weird to me, I thought that sex should only be with a married spouse. But I learned that Sexual relations with a slave are only allowed if the slave agrees. Otherwise it would be rape and thus haraam.

Slaves in Islam can't be compared to the "type of slave" we know from our time. A slave in Islam must be treated as a human. Must be cared for and not hurt. Must be fed and not starved, but be given shelter, must be given clothing, must be allowed to learn about Islam and practice Islam, and must be allowed to be able to learn to read and write (Allah loves those who can read and write). A slave in Islam can not be beaten or whipped, neither killed.

I was told that slavery, was discouraged though. I learned that Sayeda Fatima (as) also had slave(s) but those slaves loved her and respected her because she (as) treated them with care. That She (as) had slaves in order to be an example to the people on how to treat slaves.

A slave is allowed to be freed if he or she becomes a Muslim before the master. A slave is allowed to be married to someone else (not the slave owner) and if married, must be freed and given same rights as a freed married woman such as dowry.

My own opinion as to why slavery is allowed is in this example:

Lets say a Muslim man goes to war against an opposing force. The opposing force loses and many of their warriors are killed. The village in which the opposing men came from, now has a bunch of widows who lost their husbands in a battle. The muslim man wants to help these widows but isn't able to because he has already 4 wives (maximum # of wives I believe). Instead, he can take the widow as a slave (prisoners of war) to be able to support her sense he is unable to marry her. So he provides her with shelter, food, safety. But she, like all humans, has sexual desires. As her right as a human, she can have sexual intercourse with the Muslim man to fulfill her desires.

What you guys think=]

I have heard a famous story of Imam Ali a.s who used to go to the market with his slave and buy more expensive clothes for the slave than himselves. When the slave asked Maula a.s. why he does that, he a.s. replies saying that the slave is young and he would look good in these expensive clothes!

• Veteran Member

There are no clearly stated conditions for sex with slaves. It is open to interpretation. The fact that slavery is still permitted in Islam is confusing to most of us today. There are no Islamic indications that slavery should end, just that slaves should be kept humanely. Common law has made it illegal but Islamic law has not. Illegal or not, slavery exists in most countries, including Islamic ones. It is uncomfortable for most of us to think of this but we cannot pretend slavery does not exist to help our settle our discomfort.

• Advanced Member

it is permissible with slave girls (or male slaves in the case of women?) with the permission of your spouse if you have one. .......However, if a man falls in love with a slave or wishes to have children by her, he is given that right. I think a woman may have a similar right, but I'm not so sure about the regulations there.

These r freaking questions brother. So it seems we don't need a nikah with a slave to ..u know!

• Advanced Member

In Lebanon there are many elderly people with Sri Lankan, Bangladesh, Indonesian slaves. So lets say somebody visits their grandmother whom the slave works for(for a few months-but also starts paying the slave extra for the extra burden of his presence), is it islamically allowed for them to have sex with her, or does this rule strictly apply to whom the slave is working for?

Ive heard of some shameful men in lebanon who do treat such women very badly and to make things worse barely pay them anything.

Uh....those aren't slaves, they're servants. It is not allowed to have intercourse with them.

In Lebanon there are many elderly people with Sri Lankan, Bangladesh, Indonesian slaves. So lets say somebody visits their grandmother whom the slave works for(for a few months-but also starts paying the slave extra for the extra burden of his presence), is it islamically allowed for them to have sex with her, or does this rule strictly apply to whom the slave is working for?

Ive heard of some shameful men in lebanon who do treat such women very badly and to make things worse barely pay them anything.

Well for one it sounds like servants and not slaves. But if they were slaves, and if the owners are Muslims, than no it is not permissible to have sex with the slave UNLESS IT IS THE SLAVER OWNER HIMSELF. No one Else. But the slave must also give permission for the intercourse, so it isn't forced.

There are no clearly stated conditions for sex with slaves. It is open to interpretation. The fact that slavery is still permitted in Islam is confusing to most of us today. There are no Islamic indications that slavery should end, just that slaves should be kept humanely. Common law has made it illegal but Islamic law has not. Illegal or not, slavery exists in most countries, including Islamic ones. It is uncomfortable for most of us to think of this but we cannot pretend slavery does not exist to help our settle our discomfort.

[Chapter 23 Verse 5-6]

• Advanced Member

Why do people think that these mistreated workers in the arab countries are slaves??? They are not!!! A slave is a property!!!

You own a slave, if you die the slaves remains the property of your family.

I don't believe luring vulnerable woman from poor countries into the middle east, seizing their passports and raping them is any how "ISLAMIC"!!!

These poor individuals are employees who receive wages.

So please make a distinction between slaves and employees!!!

And, you are not allowed to rent out your slave-girl to someone else, this would be prostitution.

Against the lies of a lot of people Islam never thought to abolish slavery, you could even say that having a slave and treating them good is a sunnah.

There is undeniable goodness in the institution of slavery and it is a shame that slavery got commercialized by capitalism to and extend, that it actually destroyed this institution and let to the abolishment of slavery.

Don't worry, Allah will recompense those tyrants what they have done to their slaves. It is sad, that the image of slavery has become something so bad, that one does not dare to speak about it in good terms.

It must be the case, that human depravity has increased and that you would barely trust anybody to treat their slave in a good way.

Truly, men is in a state of loss...