Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Tattoo

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Ayatullah Sayid al-Sistani (ra):

áÓÄÇá:

åá ÑÓã ÇáæÔã ÇáÏÇÆã Úáì ÇáÌÓã ÍÑÇã æäÌÓ ¿.. æåá íÈØá ÇáÕáÇÉ ¿

ÇáÝÊæì:

áÇ íÍÑã ¡ æáíÓ ÈäÌÓ ¡ æáÇ íÈØá ÇáÕáÇÉ .

Question:

Is a permanent tattoo on the body haram and impure (najis), and does it invalidate prayers?

Answer:

It is not haram, nor is it najis, and it does not invalidate prayers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe tattoos are halal for all Shias, whereas some Sunnis believe it's haram. Sunni's have certain ahadith that say it is haraam, whereas us Shia do not accept any of those ahadith as being credible. Therefore, like Usul al-Fiqh states, it's halal if not declared haram.

Now, about what tattoos are halal and not, that depends on your marja'. As I posted above, Sayid Ali al-Sistani says all tattoos are halal, wether they have the name of Allah SWT, or a picture of a person, or anything, it's permissible and not even makrooh. For other specific maraja' views on what tattoos, consult them. Or let me know who you follow and I'll call their maktab and ask. :)

• Advanced Member

thank you so much for replyng and this was very helpful. i really wanted to do this but my mother kept telling me it haram:/ thank you again:)

Your mother isn't wrong. It can be haram in many cases.

• Advanced Member

well my parnts fallow Syed Khamenei so can you please tell me his view on this?

Sayed Khamenei, like most maraji', says that the tattoo in itself is halal. However, you also have to consider all the social and cultural circumstances. If the tattoo is something which is associated with kuffar and is seen as a symbol of non-religious people (which it is in most places) then it can become haram. My humble advice to you is not to get a tattoo because many people regret it when they get older and they want to marry. Very few of the pious brothers I know would marry a sister if she had a tattoo. And for the brothers, very few men would give permission for their daughter's marriage.

Edited by akf
  • Advanced Member

It's not haram, to have one, But if it's above the skin it's haram, but if it's under the skin it isn't haram.

The temporary tattoo's are haram to have on the wadou' area.

I wanted to get a tattoo on my wrist as well, but my parents told me not to.. not until I get married. xD

• Advanced Member

Ok here it goes.

Tattoos are not haram unless you have a picture of someone or something. Example a picture of a tiger or a picture of a human area haram. It does not hider your wudu or Ghusal because it is on the 5-7th layer of your skin.

It is even permissible to have holy text because it is deep in your skin. IE if you had a religious picture in a frame. Is it haram to touch the glass with najis hands? obviously not. So your skin is like a glass which protects the Tattoo. But i personlly wouldnt get religious texts or names written on myself...

Edited by asharp
  • Advanced Member

It is even permissible to have holy text because it is deep in your skin. IE if you had a religious picture in a frame. Is it haram to touch the glass with najis hands? obviously not. So your skin is like a glass which protects the Tattoo. But i personlly wouldnt get religious texts or names written on myself...

You know,

If you own anything that has God's words, it mustn't be washed in water that falls into the drain.

It should be washed outside on land.

Because the drain leads to the sewage system. The sewage system contains feces, and najasa.

Example, If you're taking a shower, and you're wearing a necklace that has a Hiriz on it, the water that falls on it carries God's name and words and falls through the drain and into the nasty water..

It's even makrooh to do normal Wadu' in the washroom, because the water is led into the washroom sewer.

So that's why you shouldn't get a Tattoo with any islamic ayat from the Quran or phrases of the Ahlulbayt.

I hope it makes sense. D:

• Advanced Member

You know,

If you own anything that has God's words, it mustn't be washed in water that falls into the drain.

It should be washed outside on land.

Because the drain leads to the sewage system. The sewage system contains feces, and najasa.

Example, If you're taking a shower, and you're wearing a necklace that has a Hiriz on it, the water that falls on it carries God's name and words and falls through the drain and into the nasty water..

It's even makrooh to do normal Wadu' in the washroom, because the water is led into the washroom sewer.

So that's why you shouldn't get a Tattoo with any islamic ayat from the Quran or phrases of the Ahlulbayt.

I hope it makes sense. D:

Salam that makes sense. However Sistani says it is permissible for the reason i mentioned. However i personally wouldnt

• Site Administrators

thank you and i just want to get my name tattooed in urdu. nothign more than that. i really hope it doesnt really bother men.

Don't do it, you'll regret it.

Plus, why your own name, you love yourself or something?

If it's really that important, just use mehndi (henna). You'll get sick of it after a couple weeks, then you'll be like "dayum good thing it wasn't permanent".

• Basic Members

i had recently asked this question and got some more details. Here they are from najaf.org (Imam Ali (A) foundation)

"Is it permissible to create a tattoo on one's body?

In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

It is permissible to have a tattoo if:

a. The tattoo allows the water of wudhu and ghusl to reach the skin while

performing wudhu or ghusl.

b. Having a tattoo does not involve forbidden touch or look.

c. The tattoo does not encourage corruption or corrupted ideas or beliefs.

d. The tattoo does not have the names of Allah his almighty or Quran script.

Wassalamu Alaykum"

• Advanced Member

ive got a huge tat on my ribs. It says in arabic FROM DUST WE COME TO DUST WE RETURN. i didnt get any names or any words from the Quran. But it has great meaning to me

I've never heard this line before, but it so meaningful now.

Nice choice of words. :)

• Site Administrators

ive got a huge tat on my ribs. It says in arabic FROM DUST WE COME TO DUST WE RETURN. i didnt get any names or any words from the Quran. But it has great meaning to me

Nice tat, did it hurt?

The saying pertains to Sujood and why it's done twice in each rik'a and why it's recommended to do sujood on clay. The first sujood signifies "inna lillah (from God we come)" and from the clay we come (i.e. organic carbon) and the second sujood signifies "wa inna ilayhi raaji'oon (and to Him do we return)" and to the clay we'll be going back.

btw, michael clarke messed his up big time http://alternativeen...-tattoo-fiasco/

(bismillah) (salam)

Tattoos are permissible BUT it can NOT have the names of Allah(swt) or the Prophet(saw) or Ahlulbayt(as). I learned this from watching a Questions and Answers show on Ahlulbayt TV. :angel: Check with your marjae for specific rulings. Allah Knows Best.

Edited by ^_^
  • Advanced Member

Plus, why your own name, you love yourself or something?

lol no brother i dont love myself but i do love my name.

nice tattoo. i really like that:)

Why would you want to tattoo your name on your wrist?

When you become 40 years old you will regret.

Not everything is a matter if Halal ok then I'll do it.

Tattoos are permissible BUT it can NOT have the names of Allah(swt) or the Prophet(saw) or Ahlulbayt(as). I learned this from watching a Questions and Answers show on Ahlulbayt TV. :angel: Check with your marjae for specific rulings. Allah Knows Best.

Are you sure because before I put my tattoo, I asked, and the Office of the Marja' said it didnt matter, I have the names of Imam Ali and Imam Hussein on my back, but maybe cuz its in english they said its fine?

• Advanced Member

Nice tat, did it hurt?

The saying pertains to Sujood and why it's done twice in each rik'a and why it's recommended to do sujood on clay. The first sujood signifies "inna lillah (from God we come)" and from the clay we come (i.e. organic carbon) and the second sujood signifies "wa inna ilayhi raaji'oon (and to Him do we return)" and to the clay we'll be going back.

btw, michael clarke messed his up big time http://alternativeen...-tattoo-fiasco/

Salam bro

Yea it really hurt man. It took 3 hours and it is on my ribs. As soon as the needle touched my skin i was in agony. But was worth it i love it its been a few years now

• Advanced Member

Salam bro

Yea it really hurt man. It took 3 hours and it is on my ribs. As soon as the needle touched my skin i was in agony. But was worth it i love it its been a few years now

Getting a tattoo on your ribs is in the most sensitive spot cause the rib cage portion is bony and a sensitive area with less tissues and fats.

When I made one on my wrist I couldn't feel a thing.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Basic Members

So pretty much, tattoos are halal as long as they're not on Wudhu areas?

I really want one but the emphasis on Arab culture vs. Islam has messed with people's minds. Some middle easterns care more about culture rather than what is allowed by their religion.

• Advanced Member

So pretty much, tattoos are halal as long as they're not on Wudhu areas?

I really want one but the emphasis on Arab culture vs. Islam has messed with people's minds. Some middle easterns care more about culture rather than what is allowed by their religion.

Do you mean this in context of tattoos or just generally? Because I think we're all 'guilty' of cultural influences no matter where we are/come from to a greater or lesser extent.

ALI