Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Tattoo

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Do you mean this in context of tattoos or just generally? Because I think we're all 'guilty' of cultural influences no matter where we are/come from to a greater or lesser extent.

ALI

I'm talking generally but tattoos are one of the things that fall under this category.
  • Advanced Member

Hi, some incite from a non-Shia. I am a Christian and I have a tattoo, it is not big, in a place where nobody can see it (arm) but I got it when I was 17, I am now 27 and I wish I could remove it. Think twice before getting a tattoo. It is a mistake that doesn't come off very easy, and if you do decide to remove it, it can be costly and time consuming. I am considering it.

• 4 months later...
  • Basic Members

dont do tattoos where u do your wudu but the others place we shias are allowed and like the other person said not with the name of god but unfortunately i did and that was before i knew i wasnt allowed i did the seif of imam ali as and i wrote bismilah bismillah arahman arahim but god will forgive me since i didnt know .....i only knew that i was allowed tattoos so i went the same week !

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Mahdavist said:

I think it depends on what her name is? In some cases it probably wouldn't be permissible (e.g Fatima) 

The ruling regarding tattoos is that they are permissible as long as they do not show something forbidden, they do not cause harm to oneself, they do not block water from reaching the skin and, for women, if a tattoo is conventionally considered an adornment, it must be covered. What appears to be the case is that having tattoos of Quranic verses (in Arabic) and the name or the attributes of Allah (of any language) is impermissible. What also appears to be the case is that it is makruh (as a precaution) to have tattoos that have the name of any one of the fourteen Ma'sumeen, so yes this should be avoided.

Question : I have read on the website of Ayatullah Hakeem that tattoos are permissible. Is it permissible to get a tattoo bearing the name of an Imam? Is it permissible to get a tattoo with the names of Infallibles/Prophets?
If it is permissible, for example, to get the name of an Imam tattooed on oneself, what happens when one goes to the toilet, engages in intercourse, or other act that would make one unclean (Najis)?

Answer : Tattoos are permissible. It is also permissible to touch the name of the Prophet or the Imams (peace be upon them) without performing ablution - Wudhu.

http://alhakeem.com/en/questions/702

Tattooing
Tattooing is not ḥarām unless it leads to considerable harmful effects.

https://www.leader.ir/en/book/30/FAQ

Question: What is the Islamic law about tattoos? Do they affect the wudhu and ghusl?

Answer: Tattoos are permissible and they do not affect wudhu irrespective of whether they are permanent or temporary.